Define Multiple Entry

Finally got my one year type "O-A" multiple entry retirement visa !!!! Is there a set number of entries or can I cross the border as many times as I like ??? Also, do I need to leave the Kingdom every 90 days or just check in with the local immigration office ?

Finally got my one year type "O-A" multiple entry retirement visa !!!! Is there a set number of entries or can I cross the border as many times as I like ???  Also, do I need to leave the Kingdom every 90 days or just check in with the local immigration office ?

You should have been given a one year stay on arrival. Check your passport.

ohhh.... you mean on a visa.

I read the thread title and thought about something else...

:D

Think your reading too many tabloids. :o

For OP: You only have to report your address every 9i0 days and that can be done by mail if easier. At the end of the year stay you will have to apply for another extension at immigration with the money proof/medical documents. And as said if the visa is marked multi entry you can entry/exit at will. But after that expires they will not be multi entry and you will require a re-entry permit prior to any travel. Make very sure the visa does say multi entry before you travel as some apparently do not.

Groovy

Don't forget that because you have a multiple entry visa you can get almost a 2-year stay in LoS before you have to extend (with 800k in the bank, etc.). Just leave the Country a week or two before the expiry date on the visa and return, again before the expiry date, and Immigration will stamp you in for a further 12 months.

This does actually work - I have done it. It seems perfectly kosher, in fact it was Pattaya Immigration that advised me of it.

A small but important point: if you do as I suggest and then want to do some further travelling you will need to get a re-entry permit from Immigration in order to keep your new 'admitted until' date alive.

DM :o

Edited by doctormann

Doctormann,

My understanding: source RTA London and Suan Plu.

Retirement visas (O-A) where authorised to be issued overseas (not to be confused with multi 90 day "O" visa) can only be issued single entry, and as Dr Pat Pong says, you should be given 364 days when first entering Thailand.

Re-entry permits should be obtained in Thailand.

Now I have also read in other threads that "multiple entry" O-A visas are sometimes issued. OK. Great.

However, if you exit Thailand, on each re-entry you should be given the same admitted until date, 364 days from your original date of entry.

In your case the immigration officer made a mistake and Pattaya are wrong.

My suggestion is that anyone in your situation should disregard whatever the last entry stamp says and apply for extension before the initial 364 days are up.

Doctormann,

I strongly advise against anyone taking your advice. If you exit Thailand, upon re-entry, whether you have re-entry permit or multi entry O-A visa, you should be given the same admitted until date of 364 days from first entry.

I state unequivocably that Pattaya are wrong. I have no doubt that you have in fact received 12 months from date of last entry but this is an error and when you come to extend your stay you may well encounter difficulties. It will be no use you saying it's not your fault.

My understanding is only single entry O-A visas can be issued overseas (source RTC London and Suan Plu), re-entry permits to be obtained in Thailand. But self evidently my information is either out of date or consulates are being over generous.

This topic has been aired previously on this site

Sorry for replying twice but having read them they appear not to be contradictory. I lost internet connection having just pushed "add reply" button and assumed 1st reply had not been sent.

Is anyone else finding that TOT are knocking you off after 1 hour at busy times instead of the usual 2 hours? OK don't answer that -wrong forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Doctormann,

I strongly advise against anyone taking your advice. If you exit Thailand, upon re-entry, whether you have re-entry permit or multi entry O-A visa, you should be given the same admitted until date of 364 days from first entry.

I state unequivocably that Pattaya are wrong. I have no doubt that you have in fact received 12 months from date of last entry but this is an error and when you come to extend your stay you may well encounter difficulties. It will be no use you saying it's not your fault.

My understanding is only single entry O-A visas can be issued overseas (source RTC London and Suan Plu), re-entry permits to be obtained in Thailand. But self evidently my information is either out of date or consulates are being over generous.

This topic has been aired previously on this site

Sorry to have taken a bit of time to respond to what you say above - I have been out of the Country for a few days.

On arrival at Don Muang yesterday I was stamped in with a 'permitted to stay until' date that corresponded exactly to the one that I was given when I completed the procedure that you think should not be possible. So, I am still legal until July next year.

I don't believe that there is any problem here - the advice given by Pattaya Immigration, subsequently confirmed by Immigration at Don Muang, is that it is perfectly legitimate to use a multiple entry O-A visa and subsequent re-entry permit in this way. The only problem may lie with getting the multiple O-A in the first place - possibly the rules have changed since I obtained mine and, as we know, different Embassies / Consulates and even different officials may place their own interpretation on those rules.

So, if the OP can get a multiple O-A and I stress if, then he can probably do as I have suggested. He should, of course, take advice from his local Immigration office - this really goes without saying.

DM