Going To University

Soph

Following on from a topic from Zaz about making big changes in your life, I noticed Khall64's post about gaining a degree at the age of 34. (Nice one Khall!)

As this is something I am starting to look into with an aim to enter back into full time education and gain a degree within the next 5 years, so some time before im 30 - I was wondering if there were any more TV members who have gone back into Higher Education either at home or here in Thailand and if so what are your experiences of being an older student trying to work towards a degree.

I know I often fear that I will simply have forgotten how to learn as its been such a long time since ive ever had to study and sometimes feel as though my brain has shut down :o

I didn't start college until 26. 4 years military then 4 years in the work force and decided I needed more. Felt I fit in pretty well. Sometimes a little uncomfortable looking at all the female coeds. :D .

This was in the mid 70's and I took on the persona of the era. Full beard, mid back length hair, tank top, bell bottoms, sandles. :D Think it was payback to uncle Sam for making me wear my hair so short. Seemed to go over well with the girls though. :o You know, the "mature" guy.

Absolutely the best thing I did so anyone comtemplating it, do it. I would not have the job I have in Thailand if not for this.

Since then have not stopped learning and studying, pretty necessary in my field but also I thrive on it. Also went back to school to get my TEFL/TESOL certificate at the age of 45.

Edited by tywais

going to university as a mature student is influenced by the goals that you set for yourself. I did a liberal arts degree when late teens early twenties and that exposed me to everything that has defined my character as an adult. I later went back to do an engineering degree in my thirties as a vocational exercise and, although I managed to graduate, that put me off further education forever.

You gotta think about what you want to achieve by the university exercise...and be prepared for disappointment if what you want eludes you.

When I was at University (in my youth) there was a 60 year old grandmother back in school, she said she hadn't been able to get a degree when she was young and always felt like she was missing something. Do it, don't know how easy it is in Thailand but I have been eyeing those online courses myself.

I started my first degree at age 27, I did my masters at 34.

I agree whole heartedly with what Trustwarrior say regarding studying early and I would add that I have seen reports that indicate people who graduate their first degree past about 34 years old reap very little financial or career benefit.

However, my decision to enter education and my aspirations with respect to education where greatly influenced by my father who studied history and politics at the UK’s Open University. During my early teens I was surrounded by discussion, books, study and the whole ideas of education.

All five children in my family graduated, I think that was the real reward of our father’s adult education.

I agree whole heartedly with what Trustwarrior say regarding studying early and I would add that I have seen reports that indicate people who graduate their first degree past about 34 years old reap very little financial or career benefit.

However, my decision to enter education and my aspirations with respect to education where greatly influenced by my father who studied history and politics at the UK’s Open University. During my early teens I was surrounded by discussion, books, study and the whole ideas of education.

All five children in my family graduated, I think that was the real reward of our father’s adult education.

And here I went to school to get an education! What was wrong with me, studying what interested me rather than what could get me a job?

I got my degree (BA) at age 29. When I changed career fields, I went back from age 34 to 46. My last course was daytime, in a junior college, and I was the only student over 22 in an intro class to Business. The instructor remarked that I was the only one who knew what the business world was like, and gave me an A.

An old lyric by Steppenwolf said, "Your degree hangs on the wall. Your parents prayed too much for you.....It's never too late to start all over again."

I say go for it. I noticed the mature students around me at uni were a hel_l of a lot more appreciative of the education than the bog-standard 18 year old. They definitely brought a different view & experience on things. I'd love to go back to study further!

My mum went to uni for the first time to study acupuncture in London. She had some problems writing essays - but this was cos English isn't her first language. I can say objectively she was a very conscientious student and certainly appreciated the opportunity. She graduated with an upper second.

I say go for it.  I noticed the mature students around me at uni were a hel_l of a lot more appreciative of the education than the bog-standard 18 year old.  They definitely brought a different view & experience on things.  I'd love to go back to study further!

My mum went to uni for the first time to study acupuncture in London.  She had some problems writing essays - but this was cos English isn't her first language.  I can say objectively she was a very conscientious student and certainly appreciated the opportunity.  She graduated with an upper second.

This is a comment ive heard numerous times, that mature students really appreciate what they are doing, and even that they learn more as they put 100% in at all times and are there for the right reasons :o

I got my degree at 24 and Masters at 25. Now I'm 46 and just about to embark on a Masters in Renewable Energy Systems and another in Sustainable Development - both by distance learning.

Neither qualification will benefit me in terms of career etc (I already have a good career!). But I hope to be able to put this knowledge to good use in Thailand. The high import level of oil, (due to lack of local resources), means that someone who knows how to design & implement energy systems that use 'free' resources, such as solar energy - should be able to make a useful contribution to LoS. (Did you here that Toxin??, I'm after my PR in a few years...)

So, I say go for it! What course are you going to take? and where?

Simon

Hi Sbk, the MSc in Renewable Energy Systems is with CREST at Loughborough University. The Sustainable Development MSc (also Postgrad Cert and/or Diploma) is with Wye College at London University!

PM me if you want more info! I also found an online TOEFL course (I'm doing this just in case I ever want to do some voluntary teaching [with WP!!] when I'm retired....

And here I went to school to get an education! What was wrong with me, studying what interested me rather than what could get me a job?

I agree with both of you. :o

I got my BS in Engineering at age 33. I probably lost money doing it, as I already had a good job, but I don't regret it. I had lots of fun. Living in the coed dorm had nothing to do with that, of course. :D

Later I studied some Japanese language, being interested in it at the time, and a year of computer network tech training. A guy has to keep his brain active. I don't go to school now, but am teaching myself to read Thai, so that is my challenge for the moment.

Now, here I am in NE Thailand. This time my wife is going to Ram U. at a branch campus nearby for her first degree. We are both in our late 40's. If I go back home to the USA I hope to go back to school again somewhere.

If you want to do it, go for it!

Bryan

I went back at almost 40 to get my masters. You have a different perspective than the younger students, but I think your views are appreciated. I have just gotten my degree, and am deciding what to study next... and meanwhile taking a couple of courses.

You are never too old to learn, it's been said. But it's more fun to do it for yourself, rather than just for some monetary gain or career advancement.

I goy my master at 32 from one of the best unis in UK (Cranfield).

My thoughts...

You'll find that as you are a bit older, you may be a lot more motivated than the younger ones. Depends of course on your motivation for doing it. I quit my job, brought my wife to UK and lived on our savings during the course. I was motivated as hel_l to do very well and get a top job afterwards. Ended up second in class. Top guy was a 44 year.

As your motivation may be very different from the young guys, you may find that you don't have a lot in common with them. Your work experiences will put you in another league.

Common question from young student: Which electives are the easiest?

From mature students: Which electives will help me get a good job?

If you sacrifice your salary and job for a year, I'd ensure I get into as good university as possible, because it does make a real difference to your employability afterwards. Not the most convenient uni or the cheapest one.

-NM

I say go for it! I did a BSc in Maths from 20-23. When I say 'did', what I mean is I got pissed and partied for 3 years...

Went back from 27-30 to do a BA in International Relations - paid for it myself, and therefore paid more attention - enjoyed every second of it!

• 2 weeks later...

I got B.Eng(engineering) when I was 19, M.Sc(Engineering)=22 years and Ph.D =26 years. Because I'm a scholarship student and should to be in the schedule.

I work with lots of exchange students from many countries that they are older than me(40+) to do the research in Thailand. We are friends and I think an age has no matter for learning. No one is too old to learn.We learn not as school, but in life also and the education of man never completed until he dies.

My first degree was in sciences, and I always regretted not having the opportunity to study more of the arts.

So recently, before my 50th birthday, I started an arts degree by distance learning. First with Universlty of Exeter (mostly film) then Open University (art history).

I can thoroughly recommend it.

As far as forgetting to learn goes, it is not true. I am more critical of what I read now, whereas when younger I assumed books were "true". So I think we make better students.

I went to college straight out of high school but I didn't complete all the requirements for my BA. This was due to me taking a break from school and working full-time before I got married. I finished my last required course here in Thailand, sent the credits back to the US and got my degree at age 29. Age often works in your favor as the older students seem to be more motivated.

Following on from a topic from Zaz about making big changes in your life, I noticed Khall64's post about gaining a degree at the age of 34. (Nice one Khall!)

As this is something I am starting to look into with an aim to enter back into full time education and gain a degree within the next 5 years, so some time before im 30 - I was wondering if there were any more TV members who have gone back into Higher Education either at home or here in Thailand and if so what are your experiences of being an older student trying to work towards a degree.

I know I often fear that I will simply have forgotten how to learn as its been such a long time since ive ever had to study and sometimes feel as though my brain has shut down  :o

I Got my Ba at 39 and Ma at 47, I'm still studying here in Thailand too.

As a mature student I was also able to make a lot of money whilst at Uni. I had an incredible time, academically and socially.

I was student rep on board of studies for the 3 years..."you can stand up to them you're old"

I had all the things that a young student didn't have - house car and money!

One girl was complaining about the offish attitude of some mature students when I pointed out that I was a mature student...she said "that's not the same...you're... well you're YOU".

I have to say that the University of life just doesn’t hack it compared to having the experience of a real Uni….you learn so much more than what you are studying…you learn how to think analyse and understand.

BTW

bit off topic, but does anybody know what the rules are for payment of a UK university education by expats who've been out of the country too long? I heard that if you're away from the UK for more than 3 years, you'd have to pay the 'international student' fee rather than the EU fee...?

I was a trained nurse and I decided to go to Uni in 1988. I had no idea about writing essays etc but fitted in quickly. I graduated with a 2:1 BSc in 1991. Now I am a freelance journalist.

I would say go for it, Uni is good if you are open minded.

Seonai

Soph, I cannot advise about mature students.. .Iretired from school an immature 15 year old... One day I may post a similar request for advise... But I do want to say GOOD LUCK with everything, and surely yoiur next changes in life will be trying, but will bring you good things.... Don´t give up! Chok Dii.

I got my degree at 24 and Masters at 25.  Now I'm 46 and just about to embark on a Masters in Renewable Energy Systems and another in Sustainable Development - both by distance learning.

Neither qualification will benefit me in terms of career etc (I already have a good career!).  But I hope to be able to put this knowledge to good use in Thailand. The high import level of oil, (due to  lack of local resources), means that someone who knows how to design & implement energy systems that use 'free' resources, such as solar energy - should be able to make a useful contribution to LoS. (Did you here that Toxin??, I'm after my PR in a few years...)

So, I say go for it!  What course are you going to take?  and where?

Simon

That is darn kewl. I read this site, and often drift off for hours into the links it gives, every day.

http://freeenergynews.com/

currently working with architects designing a Straw built centre which should not ever require heating

I finished my degree at age 36 (last year) and I took it in Thailand. There are in fact some good universities in Thailand, and many courses taught in English. Some of the advantages of studying in Thailand:

Even courses taught in Thai, they will let you write assignments and take exams in English.

Very easy - no fail policy

Warm weather

Cheap study, cheap rent, cheap food ....

Fabulous people

Pretty girls (if that is your thing...)

nice locations

You are likely at a higher level of education than the others.

You can earn extra cash and get visas by helping teach English

It is impressive to Thai's , especially if you did it in Thai (don't tell them about the exams and assignments)

Also, I think, is quite impressive to take anywhere - you went to a foreign country and took a degree in a foreign language (many non English speakers do this, but not many euro/americans)

Naturally some of those 'advantages' can be considered disadvantages too.

It is worth doing if you have the time and funds. I am considering doing a masters next year, also in Thailand, but have to see about funding.

I did a degree majoring in Thai language at Ramkhamhaeng University,I graduated 3 years ago at the age of 47. It was incredibly cheap and very useful as it enabled me to obtain a work permit as well as improve my knowledge of Thai.

It was a challenge and hence fun,not difficult as Ramkhamhaeng has summaries of courses for those too lazy to read the whole textbook,as well as examples of previous years' exams in popular subjects.

It took me four and a half years because I failed the poetry exam twice. Students don't know the topic of a poem they have to write before the exam and for those who know the rules of Thai poetry it's not easy to conjure one up in 20 minutes when it's not your first language.I went to see the professor and he said I should note that he liked to set topics related to current events. A week later the attack on the WTC in New York occurred, so I wrote a poem about that, got a Thai friend to embellish and refine it, and then memorised it. Lo and behold, the topic 3 weeks later was,'the fire of terrorism',I passed!

Ram is very convenient for adults as for most departments you only have to attend the exams, more farangs who like learning Thai should study there, I never saw any.

Cost per year- about 3,000 baht.

Other advantages- hordes of pretty girls who are willing to exchange help in Thai subjects in exchange for help in English.

I was over 40 when I went back to college to do a two year B/TEC course in computer studies.

The first day there, I took a look in the classroom, panicked and almost ran - they were all so young! But there really wasn't anywhere to run to as I'd quit my job.

I managed to get over it but felt very very ill at ease for the first couple of weeks. Also, this was in the 80s when home computers were still at the Commodore/Amstrad/ZX80 stage so most of the kids had had experience of playing around and even some Basic programming. I hadn't a clue.

In short, stuck it out and got my cert. Before the course I was an insurance salesman (which I hated and wasn't very good at). When I finished the course, I walked straight into a teaching job which completely changed my life.

I did a degree course, but that was by distance learning and never even saw the university.

So, yes, it's usually well worth it but it really isn't easy at first. And further to what a previous poster said about mature students appreciating more - dead right. As I had a more mature attitude and experience of life, business, etc, then I enjoyed the course content all the more.

Further to that - we started off with around 20 students, just 6 of us finished the full 2 years!

I did a degree majoring in Thai language at Ramkhamhaeng University,I graduated 3 years ago at the age of 47. It was incredibly cheap and very useful as it enabled me to obtain a work permit as well as improve my knowledge of Thai.

It was a challenge and hence fun,not difficult as Ramkhamhaeng has summaries of courses for those too lazy to read the whole textbook,as well as examples of previous years' exams in popular subjects.

It took me four and a half years because I failed the poetry exam twice. Students don't know the topic of a poem they have to write before the exam and for those who know the rules of Thai poetry it's not easy to conjure one up in 20 minutes when it's not your first language.I went to see the professor and he said I should note that he liked to set topics related to current events. A week later the attack on the WTC in New York occurred, so I wrote a poem about that, got a Thai friend to embellish and refine it, and then memorised it. Lo and behold, the topic 3 weeks later was,'the fire of terrorism',I passed!

Ram is very convenient for adults as for most departments you only have to attend the exams, more farangs who like learning Thai should study there, I never saw any.

Cost per year- about 3,000 baht.

Other advantages- hordes of pretty girls who are willing to exchange help in Thai subjects in exchange for help in English.

Good for you. My wife and I are both in our late 40's and she is getting her bachelor's at Ram. She is native Thai, but lived in the US since high school, so thought it would be good to get a degree in Thai. I would also like to get a BS or Masters in some thing there someday. We also see that Ram is very resourceful, cheap and relatively easy if the student has some self discipline. We live upcountry and so most of the lectures, etc. are remote, by video or satellite.

I have been wondering how much weight and prestige a degree at Ram would have back in a western country. How good would it look in the resume? I suppose that is like asking "how long is a piece of rope", but I am still wondering. Maybe one could select a degree or program that would carry more weight than others if he still has to go back to work someday.

Bryan