Going To University

Soph

I earned my BS at age 36, my MBA at age 40, and now at 44 I am halfway through a Ph.D. I figure I will still have a good 20 to 25 work years as a "Dr." when I am finished next year. I am glad I made the tough decision to move from the blue collar world to the white collar one, and it is not about the money, but more about doing more exciting and challenging work and growing as a person. Strongly recommend going for the education regardless of age.

I remember as a teenager I read one of those advice columns, must have been either Dear Abby or Ann Landers, and one letter and the response has stuck in my mind ever since. Obviously I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist went something like this. Someone, I believe aged 32, asked whether it was worth it to begin studies towards becoming a medical doctor or not since she would be 40 in the eight years it would take her to finish the degree. Ann or Abby responded, in eight years you will be 40, nothing you can do about that, your current age is irrelevant, the question is, do you want to be 40 and be a doctor or be 40 and not be a doctor. The 40 in 8 years ain't goin to change, being a doctor or not is all you can control. Excellent point, we can't control our age or our past decisions, only our current and future ones.

I did all my studies in "night school" or its equivalent so it was always in addition to a full-time job but it was still worth it.

Cheers

Brilliant post Lad Phrao. Congratulations as well, by the way. I have a friend who said the same thing to me about 10 years ago, when I was lamenting whether or not to go back to graduate school.

He said, do what you want to do when you want to do it, because in 5-10 years you're going to be that age regardless.

I've always been an "older" student. I started and finished my last degree in my mid thirties, and am now entertaining the idea of starting a ph.d. I can tell you from direct experience that older students have a lot to offer in the classroom, and your professors will appreciate it. The oldest person in my graduating class was a 61 year old man, and he received the best student award. He got a great job after graduation as well.

Good luck! Education is a life-long process. Don't ever limit your quest to expand your mind or horizons.

Edited by kat

Welcome back Kat :o. Always nice to hear your opinion.

Do you think other Universities outside of Bangkok offer such courses as Ramkamhaeng does? I'd hate to spend so much time in Bkk but would love to improve my Thai enough that (if the guys in Surat figure out how to do it)I go for citizenship my thai will be up to par.

Thanks SBK :o Nice to be back and greeted by members like yourself.

I don't know about RKH. I know a handful of people who went to that uni, but they were all Thai or Burmese. I know that Chulalongkorn offers beginning, Inter, and advanced Thai. They also offer Burmese claseses, which I am mulling over. But for your purposes, a distance course in Thai from RKH might be well worth it. I wouldn't study anything acadmeic there, though.

*If I'm not mistaken, I think there are universities in the south that offer Thai classes - or not?

Edited by kat

Not a clue, thats why I ask! I would, obviously, prefer a Southern one but somehow doubt they would be close enough either (probably Songkhla). Distance learning is an idea, since I can speak Thai already (ok, southern but I hear the tones etc) but I lack disclipine for that (plus the business always interrupts any free time I get) so I would prefer a teacher and classroom. Too bad the local high school doesn't have evening classes :o

i have been looking up distance learning for the past couple of weeks because i never finished my BA, but i can not so far find anything in the south- if anyone knows of a good program, please post it here! and good luck to those of you who are doing it!

i'm 43 and still sit here every day for an hour or so learning .... progressing slowly thru thai culture, language etc.... its not the age, its the attitude (just like with sex so they say)

since u all are studying etc in this thread, anybody have names of any places (yes i've googled and googled etc) for long distance learning on southeast asian culture etc... i've got sights for meditation courses that some folks recommended, but not real culture, history etc stuff that i cant get from regular net searching. i get emagazines on asian culture etc but would really like some 'classes' etc . up til now have used several book list/currriculums from people on this forum. i've checked the elearning, etc, indexes....

or,

half year study in thailand for someone with b.a. in anthro/socio, in english i think my thai is very bad and self taught... i dont need a degree i just want the knowlege....

have asked this question on many a post before, but thought i'd ask again, maybe some new info???? :o

I earned my BS at age 36, my MBA at age 40, and now at 44 I am halfway through a Ph.D. I figure I will still have a good 20 to 25 work years as a "Dr." when I am finished next year. I am glad I made the tough decision to move from the blue collar world to the white collar one, and it is not about the money, but more about doing more exciting and challenging work and growing as a person. Strongly recommend going for the education regardless of age.

We can't control our age or our past decisions, only our current and future ones.

I did all my studies in "night school" or its equivalent so it was always in addition to a full-time job but it was still worth it. 

Couldn't agree more. Got my BSc at 34 yrs, by distance learning (had a wife, children, job, mortgage etc), masters in law at 37 yrs, MBA last year (43 yrs), plus a few bolt-on extras. Did them all because I wanted to, not because it was expected of me.

Would like to do a PhD, and hopefully will sort this out over the next year or so.

• 5 months later...

Just following up on this thread that was started up a while back when the though of going back to University to be a 'mature student' was just a seed.

Well I am now back in the Uk and have applied to go to university in Nottingham, had my interview last week, so am now praying to buddha that I will be offered a place!

So thanks to all you people who offered, as usual, your sound and interesting advise.

:o