Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray

webfact

Chart Thai Pattana leader Chumpol convinced Army chief is neutral in the poll and will not interfere in the results /TAN_Network

Bear in mind Chumpol is brother of Banharn. Banharn was one of the top ministers in the military led govt of the 1980s, led by a certain general who despite not being royalty cant be mentioned. So maybe Chumpol isn't the most impartial voice in the debate.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that he was urging voters to think about the consequences of casting ballots and the good of the country. Personally it felt like he may have been suggesting going to minor parties but that is not what he said and I may have missed some nuance in the Thai. (My listening skills are far better than my speaking skills in Thai, but still far from perfect!) As a private person the electorate SHOULD be talking this way. I am not sure that a General should be the one saying it. A way forward is going to require change that does not end up with mobs on the streets (either mob). The past few years has seen Thailand move away from buying arms from the USA which easily could be a precursor to ditching a destructive democracy for a longer time period than a year the next time (regardless of who wins ... if it brings mobs back on the streets I think we will see the military grab power -- and another time period like 1980-1988 with an appointed PM. I think everyone is trying to avoid that including the generals .. but I do not think they will tolerate mob-rule/pressure any more.

Yes, urging them to vote the way he wants them to vote to save him from having to stage another coup.

However you want to dress this up, in his position he should not be making these comments, he is not elected by the people, he works for the people, he works for the people elected by the people, he should know his place and let democracy run it's course without making veiled threats to the electorate. It is the job of politicians to educate the people how to vote, to highlight the dangers and pitfalls, not the head of the army.

Burma anyone??

Personally i think he is more worried that the dems will no longer control the judiciary and events from last year will no longer be swept under the carpet and the truth will finally come out.

If Thailand was a decent country with decent laws and a decent judicial system. Prayuth would have been stripped of his rank within hours after his speech. If only there were transparent procedures to elect a decent army boss Prayuth would never have made it.

His intervention is scandalous. Not only were Thais more divided than ever under his and his predecessors rule, "the institution" as he calls it was damaged because of army interference in the elections. On top of that he was not able to solve the problem in the South, he bought numerous high profile weaponry from which the procurement processes smacks like corruption.

If mister Prayuth had balles he would have met Yingluck, a real army leader would not have refused to see her.

Thailand is a decent country with decent laws and a decent judicial system --- it lacks decent law enforcement which is something entirely different. You opinions are noted and if history is accurate you won't be back to deal with your opinions :)

Thailand is no more divided now than it was in 2005 (there, that's my opinion) and the problem with democracy in Thailand is that it is still regional semi0feudal power families controlling the politics. Meaning it isn't a mature democracy.

Que Sera, Sera,

Whatever will be, will be

The future's not ours, to see

Que Sera, Sera

What will be, will be.

Farangs save your breath.

Just make sure you've stocked up on everything you need from Bkk for the next couple of months.

unlike the western countries the armed forces and police of thailand are never held to accounts and answer to nobody so they are allowed to run unchecked and involve themself in goverment issues instead of doing the jobs they are paid to do to many top police and armed forces people are generals mon to wed and thurs frid sat are heads of some money making company using all the resouces at hand including manpower, who is going to report them and if so to whom.

thailand wants to be a main world player great start cleaning your own back yard up first but then again the world knows what it is looking at

Quite outrageous!

When will the army butt out of politics and give democracy a chance?

All the Thai army ever does is attack Thai citizens or the occasional neighbor.

They have never got involved in protecting their country as they are too obsessed with trying to run it.

Ahhhhh.

The thing is, the Thai Army does have a role in the country.

As described in the laws of the country.

Try to find out before you throw dirt.

"If you allow a repeat of the same election pattern, then we will always get the same result," General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, dressed in full

military uniform, said in an interview aired on two army-run channels late Tuesday.

"I want you to use sound and reasonable judgement to make our country and our monarchy safe and have good people running our nation," he said, apparently endorsing the ruling Democrats, who came to power with army backing.

...and that's an order!

Thaksin is the supreme embodiment of much of thai society; the corruption, greed, cheating, etc etc so it is only natural that his party be ahead in the polls and likely to win the election. Thaksin fully understands the system and how to manipulate it as well as any other politician but T has more money thus according to cultural mores, should win. Thailand created him and may be welcoming home their prodigal child. So what, Thailand was burning one year ago, soon payoff day will arrive.

Edited by atyclb

What most westerners miss, and certainly apologist for the UDD and the PTP miss, is the respect many Thais hold for the military and its role in protecting the monarchy. They cannot fathom that respect as it goes against everything they believe in.

Prayut did not say vote for a specific party, but there is little doubt that he was making sure that people understand what a vote for PTP means. The fact that there UDD leaders that made speeches calling for the burning of Bangkok, including mentioning Siriraj Hospital by name (and all that implies) high up on the UDD party list has undoubtedly made Prayut and many other literally livid.

Prayut speech very likely stuck a strong chord with a large number of Thais. Particularly the ones who are still undecided as they know exactly what message he was trying to convey.

TH

Scandalous, is anyone aware of any other democratic countries where the military head is so vociferous (I am talking about first world, not 3rd world banana republics).

He has said the army will remain neutral so why go against that with this press conference, I believe he said he was speaking in his position as a civilian (this was my understanding from television this morning) so why is he doing this in full military uniform, well to be fair, why is he doing this anyway? maybe he can see his job slipping away and maybe he can forsesse a full investigation into what happened last year under his command.

If anyone things the military do not run this country and thinks the army did not do a deal last year with the dems (even though abhisit admitted this last week that a deal was done) then they are sadly deluded.

Cue the cheerleaders now.

How do you compare Thailand in your statement? Third world or other democratic countries? Personally I believe this is still the third world, so what are we to expect? Everybody grew a brain since last May, or the same old ****? The same old stuff it what I expect. Open eyes and take a look around.

Army Chief Calls On Thais to Protect Monarchy

The army chief points out there have been attempts to drag the Monarchy into politics as the election is approaching.

During a special interview with TV Channel 7, army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha stated the army supports a democratic election as it wishes for the country to pass through this period of political polarization successfully.

He noted he is concerned about the media since there have been attempts to exploit them to gain political advantages, such as calls to instigate a fray between the army and civilians.

The army chief went on to say that he, as a citizen, does not support an interference in the judicial system, and disagrees with a claim that the rule of law is distorted as everyone must abide by the law.

Prayuth noted there has been a rise in lese majeste cases day by day, calling for justice for the Monarchy as he claimed the royal institution has done everything in line with the law.

The army chief insisted soldiers are not the only group that can demonstrate loyalty and the military has a duty to protect the Monarchy, which has been safeguarding the nation over the years.

He added His Majesty the King should be allowed to have a rest and follow the development of the nation as he is now aged.

Prayuth concluded by urging all Thais to exercise their voting right on July 3 to elect good persons to the House.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-15

footer_n.gif

Que Sera, Sera,

Whatever will be, will be

The future's not ours, to see

Que Sera, Sera

What will be, will be.

Farangs save your breath.

Just make sure you've stocked up on everything you need from Bkk for the next couple of months.

Thanks for the advice. But the only thing I need in Bangkok is a flight in or out of here.

The army chief points out there have been attempts to drag the Monarchy into politics as the election is approaching.

During a special interview with TV Channel 7, army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha stated the army supports a democratic election as it wishes for the country to pass through this period of political polarization successfully.

He noted he is concerned about the media since there have been attempts to exploit them to gain political advantages, such as calls to instigate a fray between the army and civilians.

The army chief went on to say that he, as a citizen, does not support an interference in the judicial system, and disagrees with a claim that the rule of law is distorted as everyone must abide by the law.

Prayuth noted there has been a rise in lese majeste cases day by day, calling for justice for the Monarchy as he claimed the royal institution has done everything in line with the law.

The army chief insisted soldiers are not the only group that can demonstrate loyalty and the military has a duty to protect the Monarchy, which has been safeguarding the nation over the years.

He added His Majesty the King should be allowed to have a rest and follow the development of the nation as he is now aged.

Prayuth concluded by urging all Thais to exercise their voting right on July 3 to elect good persons to the House.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

and tomorrows headline should be...

Thai People call on Army Chief to Respect Democracy

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

A much cleaner story -- but it missed some of the content in his speech. Nothing "not factual" in this either ...

I am trying to find a youtube of his speech so I can watch it again with one of my staff, to ask about me possibly missing some nuance.

Yingluck, Opposition PM candidate, unworried by army chief’s stance

UBON RATCHATHANI, June 15 - Thailand's top opposition party list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday said she has no problem with army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha's televised interview on his stance towards the July 3 general election, saying it was good that he pledged the military would stay neutral.

In an interview aired on two army-run channels late Tuesday, Gen Prayuth promised that the military would be impartial in the election, but urged eligible voters to exercise their constitutional right and vote for good people to run the country.

"Voters should use reasonable judgement to choose good people to run our nation and protect the monarchy," the army chief said.

The youngest sister of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra welcomed the army chief's statement, saying it was positive as he pledged that the military will remain neutral.

Ms Yingluck brushed aside criticism that the powerful army chief's statement was aimed to curb the rising popularity of her Pheu Thai Party.

"I don't see it that way, as the voters will soon decide it. I have no doubt about the military's stance," Ms Yingluck said.

The prime-minister hopeful commented while on the campaign trail which took her to the vote-rich Northeast. She is scheduled to make 10 stops in a single day in Ubon Ratchathani, Amnatcharoen and Mukdahan provinces.

Recent opinion polls show her Puea Thai Party pulling ahead of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's Democrats before the July 3 poll.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Wednesday pledged to resign as Democrat Party secretary-general if the party wins less than 170 seats in the upcoming election.

Mr Suthep made the remarks after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would step down as party leader if his Democrat Party wins less than the 165 seats it gained in the last election in 2007. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-15

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

A much cleaner story -- but it missed some of the content in his speech. Nothing "not factual" in this either ...

I am trying to find a youtube of his speech so I can watch it again with one of my staff, to ask about me possibly missing some nuance.

I humbly suggest you go out and buy a paper (if you are in Thailand) or turn on the news (if you are in Thailand). B)

Thailand's top opposition party list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday said she has no problem with army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha's televised interview on his stance towards the July 3 general election, saying it was good that he pledged the military would stay neutral.

What are you all worried about?

Yingluck, Opposition PM candidate, unworried by army chief's stance

UBON RATCHATHANI, June 15 - Thailand's top opposition party list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday said she has no problem with army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha's televised interview on his stance towards the July 3 general election, saying it was good that he pledged the military would stay neutral.

In an interview aired on two army-run channels late Tuesday, Gen Prayuth promised that the military would be impartial in the election, but urged eligible voters to exercise their constitutional right and vote for good people to run the country.

"Voters should use reasonable judgement to choose good people to run our nation and protect the monarchy," the army chief said.

The youngest sister of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra welcomed the army chief's statement, saying it was positive as he pledged that the military will remain neutral.

Ms Yingluck brushed aside criticism that the powerful army chief's statement was aimed to curb the rising popularity of her Pheu Thai Party.

"I don't see it that way, as the voters will soon decide it. I have no doubt about the military's stance," Ms Yingluck said.

The prime-minister hopeful commented while on the campaign trail which took her to the vote-rich Northeast. She is scheduled to make 10 stops in a single day in Ubon Ratchathani, Amnatcharoen and Mukdahan provinces.

Recent opinion polls show her Puea Thai Party pulling ahead of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's Democrats before the July 3 poll.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Wednesday pledged to resign as Democrat Party secretary-general if the party wins less than 170 seats in the upcoming election.

Mr Suthep made the remarks after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would step down as party leader if his Democrat Party wins less than the 165 seats it gained in the last election in 2007. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-15

good response by Yingluck :)

Quite outrageous!

When will the army butt out of politics and give democracy a chance?

All the Thai army ever does is attack Thai citizens or the occasional neighbor.

They have never got involved in protecting their country as they are too obsessed with trying to run it.

All the same are they not ?? and then also the friend of Thailand -Thaksin butt out of it with his family--he is like a few other world leaders they never know when to stop--it is called SELF importance and greed

Thailand's top opposition party list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday said she has no problem with army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha's televised interview on his stance towards the July 3 general election, saying it was good that he pledged the military would stay neutral.

What are you all worried about?

Sometimes people say something and mean exactly the opposite because its the only way some things can be said. B)

Scandalous, is anyone aware of any other democratic countries where the military head is so vociferous (I am talking about first world, not 3rd world banana republics).

He has said the army will remain neutral so why go against that with this press conference, I believe he said he was speaking in his position as a civilian (this was my understanding from television this morning) so why is he doing this in full military uniform, well to be fair, why is he doing this anyway? maybe he can see his job slipping away and maybe he can forsesse a full investigation into what happened last year under his command.

If anyone things the military do not run this country and thinks the army did not do a deal last year with the dems (even though abhisit admitted this last week that a deal was done) then they are sadly deluded.

Cue the cheerleaders now.

Are you saying military leaders in first world countries are not allowed to express their concerns and opinions.

Or are you saying they are afraid to state them because they fear repercussions.

In other words there jobs hang on there political orientation. So don't state it just go with the flow.

As for being in full military uniform. Well are the other canadates appearing in uniforms that don't mislead people to believe they do other things. If Yingluck was to appear in a bathing suit I would be asking why is she doing that, but she dosen't try to make people think she is a swimmer so she dosen't appear in one.

If you don't like the democrats and the military remember you are in Thailand it is OK to say what is on your mind. The LM laws will not hold you back unless you are going to attack the royal family.

Own up to your beliefs.

Tell us why you support a convicted fugitive from justice. A man who launched a free for all killing spree in a supposed war on drugs. (one he lost the drugs are still here only now you buy them from his men) and a man who bankrolled a attempted coup that resulted in the loss of lives for over 90 people. These are the things one should be looking at and if you have a good reason put it out there. I am sure Mr. Thaksin would love to hear them.

They express their concerns via the relevant ministry, not on national television, the last example I can recall was a US general and he was rightly removed from his post (Afghanistan i recall).

In first world countries the military answer to the elected ministers, they do not go on military owned tv stations (Because the military do not own tv stations, their duty is to protect the country, not own banks and businesses).

As for Thaksin, I have never said I support him, I do however support PTP and look forward to the day when democracy is seen to be achieved and they are back in power, the power that was removed from them via a coup (I guess this is the coup you are referring to but you seem to have the perpetrator wrong). If you want a democracy you deal with who is elected, if you don't like them you vote them out at the next election, you do not stage a coup, then make sure after the next election the winners are disbanded while making sure your favourtite party escape justice for the same offence, then do a deal with said party and allow them to form a government, then get told sort out this mess and we will make you head of the army, we will turn a blind eye to how you do it (this is of course being polite because as far as anyone knows the government ordered it, and if not are complicite in the cover up today).

So back on to the subject, do you think it is right for the head of the army to make such comments? Do you support the dems that oversaw a massacre of Thai civillians? If this General was speaking out in favour fo the PTP would you now be on here telling us all how wrong it is for he head of the army to be involved???

No need to answer, just have this :rolleyes:

Nice going. You managed to avoid every question and in the end accuse me of what you are doing.

Then in not such a clever move ask me not to respond. You truly are a politician. But not a good one.

As I said he has every right to state his opinions. Apparently where you come from this is not acceptable.

As for the General in Afghanistan being removed from his post it had nothing to do with his opinion on elections. I know that and I presume you saw enough TV to know it so why do you mention it here. Typical politician avoid reality with unrelated situations. But as I said earlier you are not good at it. See right through you with my eye's closed.

Good one you support PTP but not there leader.

In all fairness I support the Dem. but am not big on there leader. He is however the best man for the job so I support him for that reason.

no need to respond have a good day. ROTFLMAO

Edited by hellodolly

Army denies backing Democrat

By The Nation

The Army has denied speculation linking Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban to the televised speech by Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha urging for voters rally behind the monarchy and cast ballots for "good people".

"Suthep did not paid a visit to the Army headquarters and met with Prayuth on Tuesday as speculated," Army spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Wednesday.

Sansern said the Army chief made the speech in order to reaffirm the military's non-involvement in the face of the July 3 vote.

Suthep said he suspected a smear campaign by maliciously portraying the Democrats to seek the Army backing.

He said media professionals should have tried to verify the allegation about his 40-minute meeting with Prayuth before the televised speech.

As evidence, he released his scheduled appointments for Tuesday to confirm his whereabouts, leaving no time for any unscheduled meeting.

Pheu Thai candidate Yingluck Shinawatra said she had no objection to Prayuth's speech since her party too was against the politicising of the country's revered institution.

Yingluck said she was hopeful that voters would judge her party based on its policies instead of individuals. She was commenting on concern that certain members of the disbanded People Power Party were critical of the monarchy.

She said her meeting with Prayuth was likely to take place after the vote because she wanted to discuss how to bring about national reconciliation and solidarity.

In his speech aired via Army-control Channels 5 and 7, Prayuth said he was in full support of the general election as a way to overcome the political predicament.

He called on media outlets not to spread biased views designed to drive a wedge between the people and the armed forces in the lead-up to the July 3 vote.

Certain outlets, particularly those via satellite broadcast, were instrumental in raising divisive issues to agitate the people, he said in reference to programmes geared for red and yellow shirts.

He suggested for the Election Commission to look into the matter in order to rein in biased and smear reports designed to sway votes.

Commenting on the politically-linked violence in the past two years, he said the rule of law must be upheld in order to ensure justice. It was regretable for innocent people and security forces killed in the bloodshed, he said, arguning each incident should be resolved under due process and not by apportioning the blame.

He said he worried about the surge of offensive attacks on the monarchy. He singled out fugitives like Giles Ungpakorn and Jakrapob Penkair for their smear.

He urged campaigners to repeal the lese majeste charge to reconsider because the legal action would not be activated if there was no offence committed or suspected.

In conclusion, he called on voters to turn out in large numbers to effect a change for the better.

"I wish every voter would form objective decision on how safeguard the country and monarchy," he said, calling for good people be given the chance to administer the country.

Chart Thai Pattana Party leader Chumpol Silapa-archa expressed his trust in the military to remain politically neutral in the vote.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-15

I think perhaps you might be reading too much into what was said (in Thai) .... In context he was referring to the PAD and UDD/PTP protests over the last few years.

So who - according to the context you have found (in Thai) - are the 'good people' who should be running the country?

He didn't say, or even hint at it, which is ... rather neutral. Had he showed up with one hand on the shoulder of a Dem... or Jatuporn ......

He didn't.

Yep. Not saying something is usually a pretty neutral thing to do.

However, he referred to past known voting patterns and their outcomes. He said the same outcome would happen if the voting patterns were repeated. Why do you think he said this? Was it a complete waste of time to make this announcement if the obvious was being stated?

I would suggest he was trying to influence voters to vote in a pattern different from the one before. But I expect you disagree.

Could he be just being honest and asking the voters to vote for the who ever they felt to be the best man and not as in the past vote for who ever gave them the most money?

I personally see nothing wrong with that. But I expect you disagree.

Army chief urges people to vote for good politicians

news2011-06-15_11-27-59_255406150013_GenPrayut.JPG

BANGKOK, 15 June 2011 (NNT) – Army Commander-In-Chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha has encouraged Thai people to vote for good politicians to work for the country while the army will support the upcoming election with its utmost effort.

General Prayut stated that the army wants to see the country sail through political problems while the press must be cooperative in getting the country out of the crisis. He said the press has a key role in the society as people are consuming their news on a daily basis.

The army chief however admitted that some news reports had caused problems between the military and people. He raised as example the 3-1-5 narcotic drug suppression plan which was strongly criticised for having deployed security officers in Bangkok and vicinities during the election period.

General Prayut added that an increasing number of violatins to the lèse majesté law had been reported, prompting him or the military to come out and request for justice for the respected institution. He said the military's action did not mean that they had monopolized the loyalty for the monarchy. But the action was part of the military’s duties to protect the national administrative system under the constitutional monarchy.

The army chief expressed his sorrow that there were more people violating the monarchy at present. He also voiced his disagreement to a campaign to revoke the lèse majesté law under Article 112, explaining that the law could not prosecute anyone if no offensive messages were made.

General Prayut ended his remark by encouraging people to resort to their judgement in casting their votes for only good persons with ethics and morals in the upcoming election.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-15 footer_n.gif

Chart Thai Pattana leader Chumpol convinced Army chief is neutral in the poll and will not interfere in the results /TAN_Network

Yup!!! We also believe in the Easter Bunny. Is there still anybody that believes in a fair election?

Nothing ever changes here. Business as usual. Its a beautiful country and great ladies but one moves back 50 to 150 years in time.