Lapin

spawn

Hi,

I went to eat at Lapin yesterday. It is a very nice restaurant with a very good service and an excellent quality of food for a reasonable price.

Just to give a small review, I had a Steak of very good quality (far superior to the steaks currently discussed in the other thread) for about 250 Thb then I had a 12'' Pizza with rocket and italian ham for about 145 Thb. The Pizza was excellent. The owner told me that on Thursdays, there is a 20% off the bill for Pizzas...

Anyway, I really liked the atmosphere and the food there, that's why I made this small review. I hope people who read this and try this restaurant will like it too.

If you want to find this restaurant: Drive from the city, over the Nawarat Bridge, pass the crossroad, then it is 10 metres in the first soi on your right.

Ciao

Tiny steak or big, hungry, falang?

I'd say medium, something like 250 grs.

Concerning beefsteaks, I see 2 main categories in CM.

The restaurants using beef from local market. They beat it up or work it with pineapple juice or other to make it tender. Personally I cannot eat these. They are around 150 Thb in restaurants.

The restaurants using Import (Aus or NZ) and K.U. Beef: As for import, i don't bother as i don't really want to eat meat coming from thousands of Kms. I like K.U. it is good beef. These restaurants sell their steaks from 250 to 500 Thb per piece, depending of the piece of meat. Some good names, Chez Marco, La Terrasse, now Lapin, ...

No. The owner was born in the year of the rabbit.

Ate there last night, not for the first time. I concur with the recommendation---like Sansai Sam (from whom I got the recommendation) I was hoping it would remain a secret!

However, the one thing I don't think they do particularly well is steak---the cheaper steak is tough and not particularly flavourful. You need to spend 500B to get a decent steak. There are much better values on the menu, such as excellent sea bass.

• 1 month later...

do they have rabbit on the menu? might be a silly question bearing in mind the name!

Beat me to it!

I see a lot of rabbits for sale but don't think my family would let me buy them for meat! Shame as it's delicious!

David

Ate there last night, not for the first time. I concur with the recommendation---like Sansai Sam (from whom I got the recommendation) I was hoping it would remain a secret!

Why??

If something is good don't you like to spread it around?

Well kept secrets often go out of business for lack of customers.

• Like 1

I do not understand the posts where they want to keep it a secret. If you want it to survive and prosper, then tell everyone you know about it, or it will shut down if they can not build up a good customer base.

Agree 100000000000000000000000000% sure

Location though.. we're talking East of Nawarat Bridge.. first "crossroad" ..? Would that be Sanpakhoi Road?? Or do we mean by 'first' the road along the river, so where Duke's is? Or do we mean the first proper traffic light intersection, so Sayuri Road?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I actually drove past this restaurant today and saw this thread after. The last place you would expect to find ia restaurant. It seems to be trading on the influx of upmarket Thais visiting the close by Love at First Bite. Incidentally it is next door to a cake to order shop which has been there for ages and ages - is it the same owner by any chance?

Easiest access is over Nawarat bridge (going east) take a right. Take a left after Chiang Mai Christian School. Past Love at First Bite then left at end of soi. It is on your left before you hit Charoenmuang Rd

Very good restaurant, have been six or seven times. Haven't even thought to try the steak, as in my experience steak is almost always a disappointment in Thailand. Pork or chicken is the way to go, in my experience. Have thoroughly enjoyed the pizza and pasta at Lapin. In part at my wife's encouragement, I have also wanted to 'keep' the place a secret. A number of Thai people have been there as guests when we have been there, so they seem to be doing well enough, and, in all honesty, we prefer to be in an environment that is more 'Thai' than 'farang'.

Haven't even thought to try the steak, as in my experience steak is almost always a disappointment in Thailand.

I agree. Even a place like Sizzler back home has better steaks than many of the best places here and much cheaper. Most often, in Thailand, one is just wasting money on steaks. :(

I do agree with with what Ulysses G says about the steaks in Thailand but there are ,in my opinion, two places that have good affordable steaks.One is the Franco-Thai restaurant,near the Computer Plaza and the Gekko resteaurant near Pandip Plaza.I am sure there are more places in CM to find.I can't wait to find more.

IMHO, these steaks are somewhat tender and good for the price, but the taste is not nearly as delicious as back in the old country. I would put them more in the decent beef category, rather than decent steaks.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I do agree with with what Ulysses G says about the steaks in Thailand but there are ,in my opinion, two places that have good affordable steaks.One is the Franco-Thai restaurant,near the Computer Plaza and the Gekko resteaurant near Pandip Plaza.I am sure there are more places in CM to find.I can't wait to find more.

Just had a real good one at Rider Corner

Khun Poo, the former partner of Pasta Cafe has actually left it for good and is now working almost full time at La Pin.

I like the place too. Just exactly what Pasta Cafe used to be especially the strong Thai tasted pasta dishes. As for steak, it's not as good as I wanted it to be but it's acceptable. Too bad the place is a bit tight and there's no good parking space that isn't dodgy. I hope that she would consider moving back to Nimmanhaemin area at some point. That location just isn't good.

• 9 months later...

After eating three times at Pasta Cafe since the management change and being disappointed by the general decline in the previous high standards, we decided to try Lapin - and were thumbsup.gif delighted.

Although the location and parking facilities are not ideal, this is compensated by a pleasant ambience, excellent food, and reasonable prices. There is also an outdoor seating area in a small garden at the rear which would take about 20-25 people, and make a nice venue for a private party.

We were pleased to see it was deservedly well patronised, interestingly on that evening, by a majority of Thai people.

We'll be going back, and we wish them well.

The address is: Lapin, 14 Sanphakoi Road, T. Wat Gate, Chiang Mai 5000 Tel: 081-530-9815, 086-672-3129, 053-302005

Cross Nawarat Bridge from Warorot side of town, over the traffic lights, first turn right, restaurant is a few metres down on the right.

It closes on Wednesday.

I am a steak loving girl and the small French bistro restaurant "La Fourchette" has a perfect tender beef steak - imported meat. All food there is very delicious. The owner is Thai/French and his French dad was one of the men who in the past opened the fine Le Coq d'Or Restaurant and cooked for the royal family as well. So he has been trained well. Service and quality amazing and prices very fair. I like the fact that this little pearl of restaurant is not advertised. Expats living here and Thais know about it from word of mouth and then of course tourists who read of it from Tripadvisor. It is in the old city - opposite Wat Chedi Luang. And closed on Sundays.

La Fourchette

162/2 Prapoklao Road | Tambon Prasing, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand

089 8518292 / 053 277482

We were pleased to see it was deservedly well patronised, interestingly on that evening, by a majority of Thai people.

That should not be a surprise to anyone since clearly the trend is that restaurants serving Western food in C.M. are being patronized by Thais more than ever. I've noticed the upward trend especially over the last year or so. I notice it particularly in Italian restaurants which seem to have 50-60% Thais dining there at any given time. But not only Italian restaurants. Miguels has always had perhaps 90% farang customers. The last 3 times I was there over the last 2 months or so I was either the only farang there or there was only one other table with farangs. Same at The Dukes. I've been there 4 times over the last 2 months both during the day and in the evening. Each time there were at least 50% or more Thais dining there. And in all the restaurants, the Thais tend to order many more dishes than the farangs.

Edited by elektrified

The last 3 times I was there over the last 2 months or so I was either the only farang there or there was only one other table with farangs. Same at The Dukes. I've been there 4 times over the last 2 months both during the day and in the evening. Each time there were at least 50% or more Thais dining there. And in all the restaurants, the Thais tend to order many more dishes than the farangs.

...which means they're in for the shock of their lives if they do that at Dukes for the first time, and end up with food for a week. ;)

The last 3 times I was there over the last 2 months or so I was either the only farang there or there was only one other table with farangs. Same at The Dukes. I've been there 4 times over the last 2 months both during the day and in the evening. Each time there were at least 50% or more Thais dining there. And in all the restaurants, the Thais tend to order many more dishes than the farangs.

...which means they're in for the shock of their lives if they do that at Dukes for the first time, and end up with food for a week. wink.png

laugh.png That's true. But I am never surprised at how much food even the slimmest of Thais can consume! And another thing I find funny at the Dukes is how the Thais tend to take endless photos of the food as it arrives, or one holding a plate or something like that. Very funny.rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've now tried Lapin. I think it's just about okay for the money, but not truly remarkable or memorable in any way. I don't think it gets anywhere close to Chez Marco, Georgios, etc. I'd rather save up a bit of extra money and then visit those. Or, pick one of the solid, non-fancy places like Dukes or Miguels when it comes to Western food.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That actually happened to my group once. Although we didn't exactly ended up with food for a week, we underestimated the portion size of the food .

...which means they're in for the shock of their lives if they do that at Dukes for the first time, and end up with food for a week. wink.png

That actually happened to my group once. Although we didn't exactly ended up with food for a week, we underestimated the portion size of the food .

In 5 years now I've never been able to try dessert at The Dukes. I'm always too stuffed!

• Like 1