Pheu Thai Candidate Shows Strong Lead In Bangkok Constituency

webfact

Pheu Thai candidate shows strong lead in Bangkok constituency

By Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

Although Anutama Amornwiwat, Pheu Thai candidate for Bangkok's Constituency 7, is a new face in the upcoming election, she is providing some serious competition to Democrat candidate Putthipong Punnakanta.

Constituency 7, which covers Huai Khwang and Wang Thong Lang, was the first area that Pheu Thai's prime-ministerial candidate Yingluck Shinawatra visited as part of her election campaign and was welcomed very warmly. This is in stark contrast to the abuses hurled at Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva when he visited the area.

Anutama, 34, is the daughter of Pol General Sombat Amorn-vivat, who was formerly the director-general of the Department of Special Investigation. She is also the niece of Sompong Amornvivat, former deputy leader of the now-defunct People Power Party, and the cousin of former Pheu Thai MP Chulaphan Amornvivat.

Every time Anutama visits the constituency, Pheu Thai supporters greet her with flowers.

"You are looking more tanned since the last time we saw you, but you're still beautiful," one supporter told her, while others were heard saying that in real life she looked more beautiful.

Anutama, meanwhile, told the press that she was delighted with the warm welcomes, but she was not taking her victory for granted.

"Though the people in this constituency are so welcoming, I cannot say for sure whom they will eventually choose. I still will do my best to please them," Anutama said, adding that she was not sure if she is popular in her own right. After all, she said, Constituency 7 is a Pheu Thai stronghold and no matter whom the party fields in that area, voters will welcome him or her with open arms.

Anutama is fighting against Putthipong, 43, who was former deputy spokesman for the Democrat Party and former deputy spokesman for the government, and also once held the post of Bangkok deputy governor. He has contested four times, but was only made MP once after the contender from another party was disqualified.

This time around, Putthipong faces an additional challenge because most of his constituents seem to be clearly supporting his competitor. Yet Putthipong is making the most of the situation by trying to visit each and every constituent.

"It's very tiring but I want to talk to everybody," he said, adding that even though many voters abuse him to his face, there were some encouraging signs.

For instance, it meant a lot when a red-shirt supporter touched his hand and talked to him nicely.

"Even though the voters keep flashing the No 1 sign or booing at me, I understand that they do not hate me. It's just that we have different opinions and I respect their decision. All I hope is that they cast their votes," the Democrat candidate said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-17

"You are looking more tanned since the last time we saw you, but you are still beautiful" one supporter told her, while others were heard saying that in real life she looked more beautiful. :rolleyes:

Must be the SUN and Vitamin "D" Capsules. :whistling:

Sorry couldnt help myself. :jap:

"You are looking more tanned since the last time we saw you, but you're still beautiful," one supporter told her, while others were heard saying that in real life she looked more beautiful.

Just to be sure, we are still talking about a candidate for the general elections on the 3rd of July? Or did we move the subject to 'beautiful people of the month'?

Just to be sure, we are still talking about a candidate for the general elections on the 3rd of July? Or did we move the subject to 'beautiful people of the month'?

Tanned? Beautiful? In Thailand? I thought you needed to be pasty white. She hasn't been using her whitening cream.

Tanned? Beautiful? In Thailand? I thought you needed to be pasty white. She hasn't been using her whitening cream.

rubi. You are not keeping up. I was putting my two bob's worth in, in relation to the Topic. "In Sunny Bangkok, 14% Residents Deficient in Vitamin "D"

I thought it was most fitting.

How is it that they decide that she "is showing a strong lead"?

It seems like it is based on a poll, but the only indication of anything is that one candidate "was shown a warm welcome" and another "had abuse hurled" at them.

I think that says more about the particular candidate's supporters than anything else.

Miss Anuttama Amornvivat, B.A.(Chula), M.A.(Boston), PhD (Mahidol), meets the electorate

25576313767915964002512.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/jib.anuttama

So PTP is showing a strong lead in a PTP strong hold constituency?

Hardly news-worthy, is it?

Here is an equally ridiculous headline

Thai officials declare the sea is wet

Really? cant these guys do any better?

My reaction also.

Miss Anuttama Amornvivat, B.A.(Chula), M.A.(Boston), PhD (Mahidol), meets the electorate

At least she is apparently competent and properly educated.

Even if family ties, lead her to the dark side.

Anutama is fighting against Putthipong, 43, who was former deputy spokesman for the Democrat Party and former deputy spokesman for the government, and also once held the post of Bangkok deputy governor. He has contested four times, but was only made MP once after the contender from another party was disqualified.

:lol:

Contested four times, made MP only once after a contender was disqualified. became the Deputy spokesman for the government.

That perfectly mirrors what can be said about the Demcrats on the whole.

it might be because she believes it's the 'right' side

it might be because she believes it's the 'right' side

The people will decide.