New Wheels

WinnieTheKhwai

I find it ironic that someone can call me a xxxxxxxx and nothing is done about it.

Thanks for the personal attack. I am glad that the rules are unbiased on this forum.

Like it or not, Thai people consider Tuk Tuk's a low class form of transportation. If you are a redneck and want to drive one that is one things but for normal middle class people there are equal forms of transportation that are economical without looking like a tard.

They are not a stable form of transportation and flip over at even medium speeds.

My guess is that westerners that drive them want to feel like James Bond, but they are a throw back in time and the environment would be better off without them. Not to mention the noise.

You can only blame youself for that.

You brought personal attack upon youself by calling people wanting tuktuk as a redneck.

If you are quick to dish out insults, you should be ready to take one also.

Very well said....say it again.... :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand why anyone would buy a Tuk tuk for personal use.

But thanks for spreading the information. I am certain some redneck will want one.

Yet another post that does not answer the op's question but rather slips in a snide remark. What a waste of time coming to these post when most of the people who comment are wanting to be comedians. I think you should spend your energy finding out where you can go get your free dougnuts this week:) instead of wasting out time with with dribble.

Not trying to pick on you, but can point out what the OP's question was? :)

Does anyone know how much they are?

About 150-200K Baht.

Wow, that's expensive for what they are, not that much to them really.

It's the cost of the engine-They are not cheap,engines that is. Sure the body is not a lot ,not too complex

Edited by thaiphoon
Quote repaired

About 150-200K Baht.

I think it's less than that, especially the more basic models. Sometimes when you ask a tuk tuk (taxi) driver how much their vehicle costs they'll include the fee to run it as a taxi. The basic vehicle I think starts below 100K?

About 150-200K Baht.

I think it's less than that, especially the more basic models. Sometimes when you ask a tuk tuk (taxi) driver how much their vehicle costs they'll include the fee to run it as a taxi. The basic vehicle I think starts below 100K?

How many tuk tuks Have you seen that are not used as taxis? Of course the owner wants his money back, whether you are

going to use it as a taxi or not.

How many tuk tuks Have you seen that are not used as taxis?

Plenty. And it's the topic-at-hand.

("Welcome to Thailand"? (and traffic) ? ;) )

Of course the owner wants his money back, whether you are going to use it as a taxi or not.

Once more: a lot of three wheeled vehicles were never intended to be used as taxis and have never been used as taxis. Plenty hotels and resorts run them to cart guests around, also golf courses, also they're used for small promotional vehicles, mobile booths, and also more mundane hauling of stuff around. They're a separate vehicle category, they get white plates with red lettering. (Different from taxis which of course get yellow plates.)

post-64232-0-89959200-1308501552_thumb.p

post-64232-1244530140_thumb.jpg

000.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

A friend Thai Guy who drives one says 280,000baht for new one and 100,000 for the taxi license

I think your friend is telling you porkies , basic new ones are not much over 100 ,000 baht.....I bought a near new one sone time ago and paid 80, 000 baht for it. The majority of Tuk-Tuks that you see on the road are rented , and not privately owned.

A friend Thai Guy who drives one says 280,000baht for new one and 100,000 for the taxi license

I think your friend is telling you porkies , basic new ones are not much over 100 ,000 baht.....I bought a near new one sone time ago and paid 80, 000 baht for it. The majority of Tuk-Tuks that you see on the road are rented , and not privately owned.

Yes. Even that site linked earlier (a typical 'local Farang' site that offers everything from tourist treks, web hosting through tuk-tuks) had it at 150K, of which the 50K is likely his profit. You can check the link as it was in this very topic. Hope it's just a communication issue with your friend. Guess he drives one professionally?

Edited by CheGuava

I am bored s%^$less with cars and pick-ups. No fun to drive. So. I designed and had an ETAN made, about 4 years ago. Great fun to drive. Original Cost a bit over B 100,000 , What does it do ? Well I use it to carry :: Mun Sumpalung ( Cassava), Paddy ( both sheaves and sacks),gravel, cement, sand ,eucalyptus, Concrete posts, it does furniture removals for farang, Rubber trees, latex, If something needs carting, it carts it. But be warned : Only people under about 70 kilos can drive them. Fat people cannot fit behind the steering wheel. More environmentally friendly - fuel cost is 1/3 of a pick-up. Naturally, fully air-conditioned, a bit of a bugger , when it rains.NO registration. nor drivers licence required. A very useful and fun vehicle. Thais absolutely adore seeing me drive it .I get waves and smiles every day. You can work out why. And I am definitely NOT a red-neck( from septic tank land).

I hope You have a Workpermitt.:jap:

I am bored s%^$less with cars and pick-ups. No fun to drive. So. I designed and had an ETAN made, about 4 years ago. Great fun to drive. Original Cost a bit over B 100,000 , What does it do ? Well I use it to carry :: Mun Sumpalung ( Cassava), Paddy ( both sheaves and sacks),gravel, cement, sand ,eucalyptus, Concrete posts, it does furniture removals for farang, Rubber trees, latex, If something needs carting, it carts it. But be warned : Only people under about 70 kilos can drive them. Fat people cannot fit behind the steering wheel. More environmentally friendly - fuel cost is 1/3 of a pick-up. Naturally, fully air-conditioned, a bit of a bugger , when it rains.NO registration. nor drivers licence required. A very useful and fun vehicle. Thais absolutely adore seeing me drive it .I get waves and smiles every day. You can work out why. And I am definitely NOT a red-neck( from septic tank land).

Nope

Nope

Don't do it commercially. Same as any farang carting stuff in his pickup.

Nope

Yes, you often See a Ferang Pick Up full of Eucalyptus, Latex, Cavassa, and Rubber Trees, leaving Lotus, you would be in clink if you didnt live in Dodge City. You cant Legally lend a Thai Money, you as a Ferang are depriving Legally Registered Companies of Legitimate Trade.Many a Ferang has been stopped on return to his Restaurant in Patts with Food purchases and arrested for Catering Packs, not deemed for personal consumption.Should you upset a Ferang in the area whose street smart, he could nobble you easy. Im not joking,as one reader at least here can confirm.He was held for 2 Weeks in Jail.:jap:

Sorry, but I have never heard of a place called "Patts". I looked in my road atlas and 2 other maps of Thailand. Cannot find any mention or reference to somewhere called "Patts'. Maybe you can enlighten me as to its location, and tell me why it is not on any map nor is it in my road atlas. By the way ,the generally accepted correct spelling of what we are called ,is FARANG., not ferang.Interesting you talk about Lotus. I believe our nearest Lotus is about 80 kilometers away. As I do not patronise it, I have no clue as to what it may or may not sell And yes , in the villages you do see FARANG carting the strangest things in their pick-ups. Keep smiling ,and being happy.

Yes, you often See a Ferang Pick Up full of Eucalyptus, Latex, Cavassa, and Rubber Trees, leaving Lotus, you would be in clink if you didnt live in Dodge City. You cant Legally lend a Thai Money, you as a Ferang are depriving Legally Registered Companies of Legitimate Trade.Many a Ferang has been stopped on return to his Restaurant in Patts with Food purchases and arrested for Catering Packs, not deemed for personal consumption.Should you upset a Ferang in the area whose street smart, he could nobble you easy. Im not joking,as one reader at least here can confirm.He was held for 2 Weeks in Jail.:jap:

Reading that, I bet his first thought is about being happy not to live in Pattaya. :rolleyes:

Secondly, that you're drifting away from the topic at hand unless the topic has now become "Farangs buying more shit at Tesco than for personal consumption, regardless of the vehicle used, if any."

Personally I drive a gas guzzling truck. Still it can be used to haul bags of pig feed or roofing materials, which I do on occasion to help out family.

I live in fear now.:P

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

how easy would it be to take tuk tuk to another country to do a tour of southeast asia for example i have drempt of doing something like that for a while but didnt think you could just buy one never known how many peoples can sit in one legally does anyone know here would be good if go in group of people in there

Some people have done that. I believe most recently a couple Danish girls. With the help of some sponsors. And while skipping entire countries. I don't think a tuk tuk is very suitable for this kind of trip over sometimes very rough roads. Then you get the customs nightmares at every border crossing.

As you should. Putting naughty things in the back of pick-ups,even if it it is to help family. By the way ,you must cease all money lending activities, as of this instant. I am hopeful a friend of mine ,who can do things with computers that I cannot, is coming later this afternoon to see if he can retrieve photos ,copy them and put them on Thai visa. All the Best

As you should. Putting naughty things in the back of pick-ups,even if it it is to help family. By the way ,you must I am hopeful a friend of mine ,who can do things with computers that I cannot, is coming later this afternoon to see if he can retrieve photos ,copy them and put them on Thai visa.

I can do one of them now (I did take it after all)

post-15958-0-04188400-1308554958_thumb.j

Will call round later anyway to get your other stuff.

How many tuk tuks Have you seen that are not used as taxis?

Plenty. And it's the topic-at-hand.

("Welcome to Thailand"? (and traffic) ? ;) )

Of course the owner wants his money back, whether you are going to use it as a taxi or not.

Once more: a lot of three wheeled vehicles were never intended to be used as taxis and have never been used as taxis. Plenty hotels and resorts run them to cart guests around, also golf courses, also they're used for small promotional vehicles, mobile booths, and also more mundane hauling of stuff around. They're a separate vehicle category, they get white plates with red lettering. (Different from taxis which of course get yellow plates.)

post-64232-0-89959200-1308501552_thumb.p

post-64232-1244530140_thumb.jpg

000.jpg

We are talking about Chiang Mai, right?

Edited by Semper

We are talking about Chiang Mai, right?

Absolutely. The images came from Google, they seem to have Bangkok plates. But you can find non-taxi three wheeled vehicles around Chiang Mai as well. Dave posted an image way back on page 1, which I believe is indeed the one I saw for sale. (Or one just like it)

As you should. Putting naughty things in the back of pick-ups,even if it it is to help family. By the way ,you must I am hopeful a friend of mine ,who can do things with computers that I cannot, is coming later this afternoon to see if he can retrieve photos ,copy them and put them on Thai visa.

Will call round later anyway to get your other stuff.

It's MAD MAX!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT!! Love it. Looks like a new Kubota engine; diesel right, how many HP in those?

Chiang Mai- definitely ,and in many other places all over Thailand. A lot are used, quite commonly, as Garbage trucks, to go up and down very narrow sois. I have even seen some done up as fire engines.The range of uses are the same for tuk-tuks as for more traditional trucks.

Sorry, but I have never heard of a place called "Patts". I looked in my road atlas and 2 other maps of Thailand. Cannot find any mention or reference to somewhere called "Patts'. Maybe you can enlighten me as to its location, and tell me why it is not on any map nor is it in my road atlas. By the way ,the generally accepted correct spelling of what we are called ,is FARANG., not ferang.Interesting you talk about Lotus. I believe our nearest Lotus is about 80 kilometers away. As I do not patronise it, I have no clue as to what it may or may not sell And yes , in the villages you do see FARANG carting the strangest things in their pick-ups. Keep smiling ,and being happy.

Patts was a small fishing village, now known as Pattaya. Bangers is Bkk, Buri Ram is Little Moscow to Bkk residents. Have you ever thought the Locals are laughing at You, not With You. As for the Topic that's the Mods business, anyway,Long Distance Tuk Tuk,is worth Googling lots of interesting tales.I am a Jungle Jim and have been one here for 27 Years ferang free. I might be lured out for a Buri Ram Pie though.:D

I have a follow-up question: How water-proof are these trucks? Like in a heavy rain storm, do they keep chug-chugging away?

I ask because of the awesome Songkran potential of that vehicle. (May need to add another diesel generator to power the sound equipment.)

I have a follow-up question: How water-proof are these trucks? Like in a heavy rain storm, do they keep chug-chugging away?

I ask because of the awesome Songkran potential of that vehicle. (May need to add another diesel generator to power the sound equipment.)

Water shouldn't bother anything diesel as long a you keep it out of the fuel tank.

Having sat in the passenger seat of this vehicle during a very heavy tropical downpour I can attest to its ability to shrug off water, you could probably throw a small lake at it and it would sill chug along.