Red Shirt Leaders Urge EC To Rein In Abhisit's Facebook

webfact

ELECTION BATTLE

EC urged to rein in Abhisit's Facebook

By The Nation

Democrat leader 'using social network to attack red shirt leaders, Pheu Thai'

Red-shirt leaders and Pheu Thai Party candidates Weng Tojirakarn and Kokaew Pikulthong have demanded that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva stop using Facebook to attack the red shirts and their party over last year's bloody protests.

Pheu Thai Party will urge the Election Commission next week to exercise its authority and stop Abhisit, Weng said.

Abhisit wrote the third article on his Facebook account, expressing his views on the bloody incidents in April and May last year and the military crackdown, which resulted in the deaths of 91 people, including some security officers.

The red leaders regard Abhisit's views as misinformation and a smear campaign against the red-shirted group and the Pheu Thai Party.

Misinformation and smears are against the election law, Weng said. Article 53 of the law could hand down tough punishments on those who commit such actions, with sentences of between one and 10 years imprisonment or fines of Bt20,000 to Bt200,000. Any candidates found guilty could be banned from politics for 10 years and their political parties could be dissolved, Weng said.

Kokaew said Abhisit was copying the tactic used by the Democrats against Chamlong Srimuang's Palang Dharma movement after the May 1992 bloody incident. The Democrats accused Chamlong of leading protesters to their death in the Black May incident, he said.

Democrat leader Abhisit has said tat he had opted not to yield to fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra for the country's sake. He said after last year's unrest and rioting, many people close to him advised him to dissolve the House early, resign as prime minister, or take a break from politics for a peaceful and safe life.

"They told me that my life from then on would be no longer safe. If I yielded to Khun Thaksin and allowed him to get what he wanted, everything would be fine," Abhisit wrote in his Facebook's notes page.

"But I don't think it would end so easily. I thought it would rather be the beginning of a new round of disaster for the country. I decided to stay on to solve the country's problems although I was aware that my life was threatened. It's not because I wanted to stick to the prime minister's position, but it's because I had the duty of protecting the country through the power I had," he wrote.

It was Abhisit's fourth open letter on his Facebook page titled "From Abhisit's Heart to the Thais All over the Country". The letter was the second part that was entitled "91 Bodies to Meet Whose Desire?"

He was referring to the number of deaths during last year's political violence that began with the red shirts' rally in mid-March and ended with rioting and arson attacks on many Bangkok buildings following dispersal of the protest on May 19.

In his write-up, Abhisit reminded the readers that many of the victims were killed by M-79 grenade attacks. The same weapon was used to fired into the protest sites of the yellow shirts rallying against a Thaksin proxy government in 2008.

"In 2008, only the yellow-shirt protesters were attacked with M-79. But in 2010, M-79 came out of the protest area to fire at Silom people and city residents in general," the Democrat leader said.

Abhisit said he had to work under intense pressure as prime minister during last year's anti-government rally by the red shirts.

He said that while he was seeking to resolve the conflict peacefully, he was under pressure from both the protesters and city residents who wanted the long-drawn street protest to end as soon as possible.

His offer to have a general election in November last year was greeted with strong rebukes by his supporters.

"I simply wanted to see peace restored in our country. I was aware that my offer would not get me votes from the red shirts, but rather it would cost me my own supporters," Abhisit wrote.

He added that his proposal for reconciliation had one crucial flaw: It contained no plan to offer amnesty to Thaksin.

Abhisit said that being in the middle of a conflict between the political colours, "I have been stained with dirty mud. But I tolerate this condition with patience because I am well aware that it is not easy to strike a balance between the political extremes".

He said that he was still determined to bring about national reconciliation - not just reconciliation among politicians and it must be based on righteousness and good principles for the country's benefit.

Regarding the shootings of six people at the Pathum Wanaram Temple after the protest leaders had surrendered, Abhisit said he could not tell for sure who the culprits were.

"But my question is why security officials would intentionally kill people after the protest had ended. I believe that the loss of lives could result from an armed clash or a chance attack by armed men mingling among the protesters. I hope the investigation committee and the relevant agencies will come up with truths about this," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-18

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth hurts doesn't it Weng? The Reds are masters at smeer campaigns, it's what they did all last year.

i think this is pretty tame from Abhisist

if it was me i would plaster Thailand with images of Bankok burning, town halls burning, men in black with AK47's, dead soldiers and many other stark reminders of what these reds are actually about

Thai people have short memories, its time for shock tactics to turn the tide and stop these anarchists getting into power.......

The truth hurts doesn't it Weng? The Reds are masters at smeer campaigns, it's what they did all last year.

if it was me i would plaster Thailand with images of Bankok burning, town halls burning, men in black with AK47's, dead soldiers and many other stark reminders of what these reds are actually about

Thai people have short memories, its time for shock tactics to turn the tide and stop these anarchists getting into power.......

Or one could show photographs of unarmed civilians murdered by the Thai army which has refused to co-operate with subsequent enquiries.But that would be equally irresponsible and divisive as the suggestion above.

The trouble is that the Democrat Party has shown itself unable to win elections, having risen to power on the backs of soldiers, judges and Prem.AS the election draws closer the military cheerleaders are increasingly rattled as we can see.They find the prospect of the Thai people giving their decision very troubling.

"His offer to have a general election in November last year was greeted with strong rebukes by his supporters.

"I simply wanted to see peace restored in our country. I was aware that my offer would not get me votes from the red shirts, but rather it would cost me my own supporters," Abhisit wrote.

This was why they believed his offer of an early election last year was not genuine.....it was fake!

Edited by princejohnjay

Or one could show photographs of unarmed civilians murdered by the Thai army which has refused to co-operate with subsequent enquiries.But that would be equally irresponsible and divisive as the suggestion above.

The trouble is that the Democrat Party has shown itself unable to win elections, having risen to power on the backs of soldiers, judges and Prem.AS the election draws closer the military cheerleaders are increasingly rattled as we can see.They find the prospect of the Thai people giving their decision very troubling.

wouldn't that be something for the reds to do in response?

oh sorry, i forgot they already did it in their red rags months ago

by the way, seems you forgot, the reds drew first blood ..........

"His offer to have a general election in November last year was greeted with strong rebukes by his supporters.

This was why they believed his offer of an early election last year was not genuine.....it was fake!

the offer was made on live TV in front of a fascinated nation of millions

so whats your source for the speculation it wasn't a genuine offer ?

man in a pub?, Thaksin and his red rabble mouthpieces? or just you spreading red propaganda.................?

Yup, not enough to just post it on Facebook

With a view to what ??

More divisiveness ??

Would you also include pics of medics shot by army snipers and the approx 80+ people shot through the head at the hands of the army or do you insist it never really happened ??

At least that would be even handed.

Anarchists don't vote by the way.

With a view to what ??

More divisiveness ??

Would you also include pics of medics shot by army snipers and the approx 80+ people shot through the head at the hands of the army or do you insist it never really happened ??

At least that would be even handed.

Anarchists don't vote by the way.

yes, thais need reminding of the moral character of the people they are being asked to vote into office

the reds have aleady shown thousands of pictures of the dead reds in their revoltionary red mags in an attempt to brainwash the voters into thinking it was all done at abhisits personal beckoning

its about time the Dems stood up and did the same thing by highlighting their losses

as to weng complaining, on what basis?

i thought he was vehemently against exhibiting double standards ?

again do i need to remind you too that it was the reds that drew first blood............

Edited by craigt3365
Inappropriate comment removed

To be honest, the red never invented anything. Street protests, blocking Bangkok, smear campaigns, it all has be done first by the master of defamation, Mr Sondhi.

Until now, Abhisit would have been remembered as a weak leader, sitting on the side when the thugs of the PAD were destroying democracy and showing poor leadership during the red riots that eventually leads the army to take the leadership and shoot the crowd. But now starting himself his own smear campaign ? He probably knows he's on his way out and has very little reputation to protect.

But who reads Facebook ? The so called Bangkok elite that will vote for him anyway. So what is he achieving ? Nothing will be good but actually he's increasing the hate and the distrust between Thais. He just confirms the democrats are a small regional party, the Bangkok party, a coalition partner. Not a great national party that is needed in a modern democracy. The problem is Abhisit is not a real Thai, he was raised abroad and I don't think he is comfortable with rural Thais , I'm not even sure he knows anything about the life of realThais outside his little circle of Bangkok friends. He doesn't connect with them, that why he's not popular, that's why again the democrats will lose the popular vote. And things won't get better with Korn who was raised the same way.

So in the meantime he chats with his friends on facebook, hoping once more the army will save the day.

What a leader. He wont' be missed and probably not even remembered.

Edited by JurgenG

To be honest, the red never invented anything. Street protests, blocking Bangkok, smear campaigns, it all has be done first by the master of defamation, Mr Sondhi.

Until now, Abhisit would have been remembered as a weak leader, sitting on the side when the thugs of the PAD were destroying democracy and showing poor leadership during the red riots that eventually leads the army to take the leadership and shoot the crowd. But now starting himself his own smear campaign ? He probably knows he's on his way out and has very little reputation to protect.

But who reads Facebook ? The so called Bangkok elite that will vote for him anyway. So what is he achieving ? Nothing will be good but actually he's increasing the hate and the distrust between Thais. He just confirms the democrats are a small regional party, the Bangkok party, a coalition partner. Not a great national party that is needed in a modern democracy. The problem is Abhisit is not a real Thai, he was raised abroad and I don't think he is comfortable with rural Thais , I'm not even sure he knows anything about the life of realThais outside his little circle of Bangkok friends. He doesn't connect with them, that why he's not popular, that's why again the democrats will lose the popular vote. And things won't get better with Korn who was raised the same way.

So in the meantime he chats with his friends on facebook, hoping once more the army will save the day.

They for sure invented the burning of Bangkok. Firing grenades into crowds of innocent people. Etc. Have they owned up to that? No. If they come clean with their mess, maybe others will???? Kinda hard not to shoot at protesters when you are being shot at yourselves. They created their own mess while their leader was golfing and shopping abroad.

Regarding social media, I think there are few ex-dictators in Africa and the Middle East who would beg to differ with you regarding it's power.

So, you completely ignore Weng and cohorts 40 years earlier as students doing the exact same thing. Till they had to go hide in the jungles for several years until forgiven.

Historical perspective of a fruit fly on display.

Edited by animatic

And what is your evidence for claiming that it was fake, rather than a genuine attempt by an honest man at reconciliation, which would cost him some political-support but help reach a peaceful conclusion to the protests ? In the greater-interests of the country ?

And why did Weng & company first accept the deal offered, before suddenly reversing their decision, after the mysterious phone-call ? If it was a fake offer, why didn't they call Abhisit's bluff, and end their protests peacefully ? Why did they (or someone) choose the alternative-ending of violence & death ? :(

So, you completely ignore Weng and cohorts 40 years earlier as students doing the exact same thing. Till they had to go hide in the jungles for several years until forgiven.

I think that's why we can't understand each other.

You're stuck 40 years ago, I'm talking about tomorrow.

The reds complained about it until they decided it was useful to their purposes.

But who reads Facebook ?

Who needs to read facebook? It gets reported everywhere else anyway.

The so called Bangkok elite that will vote for him anyway.

I didn't know there were 165 seats in Bangkok. I thought there was only about 36.

I think that's why we can't understand each other.

You're stuck 40 years ago, I'm talking about tomorrow.

History repeats. Don't forget yesterday or you will repeat the same mistakes tomorrow.

They for sure invented the burning of Bangkok. Firing grenades into crowds of innocent people. Etc. Have they owned up to that? No. If they come clean with their mess, maybe others will???? Kinda hard not to shoot at protesters when you are being shot at yourselves. They created their own mess while their leader was golfing and shopping abroad.

Regarding social media, I think there are few ex-dictators in Africa and the Middle East who would beg to differ with you regarding it's power.

One more reason of misunderstanding.

That the government can't work because a mob occupies the government house, that all communication with the outside world are stopped because the same mob occupies Thailand main international airport and that the army refuses to do anything, refuses to follow the orders of a democratically elected government, that really bothers me.

That you can't go shopping because your local 7/11 has closed down, I don't really care.

That the government can't work because a mob occupies the government house, that all communication with the outside world are stopped because the same mob occupies Thailand main international airport and that the army refuses to do anything, refuses to follow the orders of a democratically elected government, that really bothers me.

That you can't go shopping because your local 7/11 has closed down, I don't really care.

It's clear that you don't really care. Double standards like your boss.

"that all communication with the outside world are stopped because the same mob occupies Thailand main international airport " :rolleyes:

I thought red shirt supporters were against the army being used for crowd control operations?

The yellow shirts were at the airport for 9 days, and a verdict on the PPP government banning case was imminent. Why send the army in when the protesters were going to leave in a week anyway?

"that all communication with the outside world are stopped because the same mob occupies Thailand main international airport " :rolleyes:

I thought red shirt supporters were against the army being used for crowd control operations?

The yellow shirts were at the airport for 9 days, and a verdict on the PPP government banning case was imminent. Why send the army in when the protesters were going to leave in a week anyway?

You obviously don't understand the implication of a mob occupying an international airport, even for one hour. Why do you think the army have been controlling all the roads leading to the airport ever since ?

Then you admit the yellows were instrumental in bringing down the government. Nothing to do with the rule of law, just mob power. At least someone is honest. You see so many democrats nowadays who pretends they never supported the yellows. What an hypocrisy !

I love Jurgen's responses ... always full of enough holes to drive a truck through. Abhisit wasn't "sitting on the sides" when the PAD was protesting the attempt to whitewash Thaksin. Abhisit was sitting in the opposition doing his job. Samak and Somchai get the responsibility for not dealing with the PAD in an appropriate manner. Aren't there still charges against Somchai for his failed attempt in Oct 2008?

Abhisit is attacking the UDD not the PTP when reminding people of what he was up against last year. The UDD is a valid target --- PTP should be embarrassed to be associated with that violent gang, but instead has so many of them on their party-list.

Your assertion that Abhisit is "not a real Thai" is absurd. Your implication about Korn is the same. Your assertion about the Dems being a "Bangkok party" shows that you don't even understand the dynamic base of the Dems is far from regional. That PTP doesn't expect to win a single seat in the South should tell you more than you ever needed to know about politics in Thailand, but the point will obviously be lost on you.

Lastly, you ignore the facts of the real Thaksin power base --- not the villagers, but the regional political power families that obviously will turn their backs on Thaksin (taking their supporting regions with them) if it matches their desires.

I don't live in Bangkok, so it never bothered me. Same with the airport shutdown. Which I feel was totally inappropriate.

Would you now agree that that mobbing of central Bangkok was inappropriate? Please apply the same standards.

You obviously don't understand the implication of a mob occupying an international airport, even for one hour. Why do you think the army have been controlling all the roads leading to the airport ever since ?

Then you admit the yellows were instrumental in bringing down the government. Nothing to do with the rule of law, just mob power. At least someone is honest. You see so many democrats nowadays who pretends they never supported the yellows. What an hypocrisy !

Apparently you have never been to the airport since 2008 if you think the "army have been controlling all the roads"....

Strange that I remember talking to my family during the PAD's rally at the airport (the same airport whose closure the AOT board blamed on their own man at the airport) ... so "all communications" certainly were not shut down. The thing is .. handling the airport closure wasn't the Dem's job. It was PPP's job. It was Somchai's job. Kasit did show up at the airport and that is embarrassing for the Dems, but look at what he said on stage .. what he did ... Then feel free to compare him to Jatuporn :)

A couple more weeks and the will of the people will run the country. Half of the posters here will be forced to eat humble pie. Which half? Depends on the election results.

Maybe not eat humble pie, but for sure have to deal with the aftermath. Either way, it won't be pretty.

I didn't realise that a mob occupying the airport for an hour would bring down all the telecommunication networks too.

Where did I admit to anything? The army knew that the yellow shirts wouldn't go on protesting if the PPP were not in power. So it makes sense to see what happens with the court hearing before going in and injuring or killing people, especially with the conclusion to the court case only a few days away.

Yes. The hypocrisy. Someone who supports the red shirts complaining about "Nothing to do with the rule of law, just mob power."