Lost Atm Card

I lost my ATM card whilst out and about. I called my bank to have them freeze the card, but now I am without a card. The replacement card is getting sent to my "home" address in the US so it will be a major inconvenience getting it.

What can I do? Can I Western Union money from my bank account to myself here? I'm thinking of ways of how I can get money from my account fairly quickly.

You do not have a credit card or anything I take it?

This happened me before and was forced to use the credit card...I know it will not help you right now, but perhaps you should consider getting another bank account, and leaving the spare card in your condo/hotel.

You should be able to get money wired through Western Union...perhaps someone in your country, family, friend can send you some via WU or Moneygram and you can pick it up at Siam bank I think for Moneygram, even on a Sunday....and you can wire money from your bank account to their bank account through online banking...which I assume you would have?

Edited by RedFxTrade

You do not have a credit card or anything I take it?

This happened me before and was forced to use the credit card...I know it will not help you right now, but perhaps you should consider getting another bank account, and leaving the spare card in your condo/hotel.

You should be able to get money wired through Western Union...perhaps someone in your country, family, friend can send you some via WU or Moneygram and you can pick it up at Siam bank I think for Moneygram, even on a Sunday....and you can wire money from your bank account to their bank account through online banking...which I assume you would have?

My Thai wife has a card. But I have no idea how to go about transferring money from my bank account to hers.

And yes, I have online banking.

This is only how to get a replacement card sent to you.

I had the same happening to me a couple of years back. After long phone calls with both my bank and Fedex, I was able to get a new ATM card sent to my Home address here in Thailand.

The main thing was that the card should not have been activated yet. If the card is already activated then Fedex will refuse to sent it. Your bank in the US should be able to advice you on this. After the card has been sent to your home address in the US, let someone sent it to you. And then when you receive it activate it by Phone from here.

This worked for me, maybe it will also work for you.

Edit 09:32 Added PS

PS: I have to say, that this was from the Netherlands and not from the US, but I think Fedex rules are globally.

And time it took was just under a week.

I just hope they will allow me to activate my card in Thailand and not just from the US "home" phone number.

Edited by chops

Hi chops - When I did mine it took a few days to be able to use online transfer from my USA bank to my Thai bank. The following transactions (except #1) were done online while I was in Thailand.

1. Open a Thai bank account.

2. I set up ‘outside the bank’ transfer on my USA bank account.

3. My USA bank did a trial deposit to ‘outside the bank’ account with a small unknown amount (in cents). This was to verify and validate the accounts involved. The process was then in pending state and required a response from the account owner. See #4 below.

4. I checked my Thai bank for a deposit/transfer amount and reported back to my USA bank the amount that was deposited to my Thai bank.

5. My USA bank verified and validated the transaction for accuracy and immediately activated my ‘outside the bank’ transfer function.

6. Then I was able to setup a real online transfer to my Thai bank account.

Total elapse time is about 2-4 working days depending on the online transfer processes between a USA bank and a Thai bank.