Jetsky Scam Caugth In The Act: With Pictures

nikkoid66

Here is the deal. I heard about this Jetsky scam for a while and I heard that it was taking place at Royal Garden on Pattaya beach road. So I decided to walk there and check if it was real or not.

What did happen stunt me. In front of me, the scam was taking place, in front of thousands of tourist in one of the hottest place in Pattaya.

I had my iPhone and I took pictures of the scam. Not even trying to hide myself, as there were so many people around that no one even noticed me.

I saw the Chief Scammer one meter away from me and I sustained his eyes while he was bringing the customers to the ATM. He has a long moustache and is very dark tanned. Quite fat and he is really looking terrible as a person. His 'man' is a 1.80 meter Thai man walking and supervising, quite intimidating.

Here is what I witnessed.

One kid was showing that the Jetski was damaged and the customer were feeling very sorry and were apologizing. The chief was showing 10 fingers repetitively (10k or 100k baths). I could not heard the conversation but the customers refused. After what seems to be a negotiation, the chief agreed about 3 fingers. I suppose 30k baths or 3000 baths? I cannot be sure. However the 3 customers didn't had the money at this time.

They walk close to beach road, in front of Royal Garden Mall, and they call someone. All the customers were wearing a hat, so it is easy to differentiate them from the Thai scammers.

While waiting for their friends who will bring them an ATM card, they are surrounded by the 2 Scammers. The chief is particularly excited and menacing while the big one is waiting a little behind, overlooking.

2 more men wearing hats arrived on the other side of the road, and everyone managed to cross the beach road and walk to the green K bank ATM. The original 3 scammers are asked to wait down stair with the manacing scammer, while the chief go to the ATM with the new friends.

After that, the 2 scammers walk away with the money...

I hope these people, very easy to find and to caught in the act as you can see, will end up in jail.

Everyone can comment and like the post on Itthiphol Kunplome (Pattaya's mayor) Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/#!/PattayaFuture

post-105564-0-69057800-1308738401_thumb.

post-105564-0-68976400-1308738408_thumb.

post-105564-0-65640200-1308738414_thumb.

post-105564-0-81916400-1308738421_thumb.

post-105564-0-55794100-1308738429_thumb.

post-105564-0-74919900-1308738435_thumb.

Edited by nikkoid66

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post my friend but pointless, nothing will be done too many people taking a cut, you might as well pray that the tuk tuks in phuket will lower their prices it aint going to happen, so sad.

Good post my friend but pointless, nothing will be done too many people taking a cut, you might as well pray that the tuk tuks in phuket will lower their prices it aint going to happen, so sad.

Everyone can comment and like the post on Itthiphol Kunplome (Pattaya's mayor) Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/#!/PattayaFuture

The more we talk about it, the more embarrassing it is and one day, maybe they will stop the scammers.

Good info nikkoid the more posters that contribute evidence like photo's and reports of these scams the better, one day these thieves will be stopped.

It is actually very easy to catch. They have total impunity, just walk on Beach road and like me, you will see the scam openly taking place. That's a very shocking reality :angry:

But we are just visitors, we are not Thai. The Thai must realize how embarrassing it is and how bad it is to the Thailand reputation and tourism, so that they do something against it one day.

This is greedy nasty collusion,and theft.,on the same scale as Pickpockets,or Muggers.

All that is necessary to end this disgraceful theft, is for the Authorities to revoke the Jet ski scammers Trading Licence,

But I suppose its too Lucrative, and would be too easy to do as well..

I used to feel sorry for the extremely poor reputation of Thailand in the International Media,but not anymore,

Som Nam Na,as one Poster said,.............works both ways as well matey!

And I wonder how many Thais have had this Evil Stunt pulled on them?

Edited by MAJIC

The more we talk about it, the more embarrassing it is and one day, maybe they will stop the scammers.

Good work but a waste of time. Post at the mayors facebook page and they will post photos of the mayor until your post is pushed far down or to the next page.

At best the mayor will say they are looking into it, like the meetings he's had over the past year, NONE resulting in anything other than his pretty mug in the press.

It's not hard to see who is getting paid from this scam and who is running it. I'd tell you right here who it is but heavy handed mods would delete it as quick as I could post it.

All government officials would be well ware of the scam and now and the millions of baht that it produces on a annual basis , they allow innocent tourist's to be trapped like spiders in a net all governments from visiting countries should be doing more to advise people visiting pattaya not to rent jet ski's .

All government officials would be well ware of the scam and now and the millions of baht that it produces on a annual basis , they allow innocent tourist's to be trapped like spiders in a net all governments from visiting countries should be doing more to advise people visiting pattaya not to rent jet ski's .

Totally agree.

Good info nikkoid the more posters that contribute evidence like photo's and reports of these scams the better, one day these thieves will be stopped.

It is actually very easy to catch. They have total impunity, just walk on Beach road and like me, you will see the scam openly taking place. That's a very shocking reality :angry:

But we are just visitors, we are not Thai. The Thai must realize how embarrassing it is and how bad it is to the Thailand reputation and tourism, so that they do something against it one day.

nice work nikkoid, there is another long thread in this section somewhere but i don't know how to do a link*

I have taken and posted photo's 300 + of over 35 such events on another pattaya forum.

it's a daily performance up and down the beach but the favourite time is the last rental of the day and from your photos it looks like dusk is setting in, groups being the preferred target. why? well between them they have more ATM cards and it's easier to hold 1 or 2 hostage on the beach while another sucker goes to raise funds.

the ones near mikes shopping mall are even worse but they are very wary now of people taking their photo esp videos and that bit of beach has few trees or deckchairs for cover. So unless you want to be on the end of an angry thai being kept from his rice bowl be discreet with the camera

*it's title is pattaya jet skis and it's had over 20,000 hits

Edited by striderman

I still maintain that the best chance of fighting this offensive scam would be to encourage hotels and guest houses to provide a leaflet when guests check in that bullet point a short list of the biggest scams and dangers. The leaflet would be in multiple languages, probably just a single page of A4 size and distributed to the hotels by the tourist office or/and the mayor's office.

We could even create a draft here and forward to the tourist office or mayor's office, would be interesting to see if they respond. But it has to be properly written and the purpose made crystal clear.

The reason people get caught out is ignorance. Education would go a long way and an effective way would be a multi-language leaflet handed to checking in guests.

All visitors stay somewhere and the check in process is basically the same irrespective of where you stay whether it be a 5-star hotel or a budget guest house.

The websites etc, facebook etc, great but only a small percentage of people will ever see them.

i believe the marriott hotel at the royal garden does have a warning sign about ski rental on the wall for guests at the beach road exit ( from their swimming pool garden area) which is at the north end of the royal garden plaza.

the other jet ski thread is currently on page 4 of this forum <_<

Edited by striderman

If tourist are aware of the scams, the Jetsky business will have less clients and they will make less money.

If they make less money, they will not represent enough interest for the police and the officials involved and will become more of a problem.

I bet the same who are supporting these scams will one day turn against them and they will be put in jail by the exact same cops that were supporting them before.

The money is the spine of the corruption, less money, less support from the corrupted officials.

incorrect, sir.

what you should have advised, in my opinion, is.....

....all governments from visiting countries should be doing more to advise people NOT TO visiting pattaya not to rent jet ski's . :whistling:

i believe the marriott hotel at the royal garden does have a warning sign about ski rental on the wall for guests at the beach road exit ( from their swimming pool garden area) which is at the north end of the royal garden plaza.

the other jet ski thread is currently on page 4 of this forum <_<

good precedent and example then to justify to the tourist body or mayor's office for a leaflet in multiple languages to be handed to each checking in guest in all hotels and guest houses.

If the jetski scams stops these bastards will find something else to ripoff the tourists.

Motorbikes, cars, fake drugs etc etc etc

This sort of people are heartless and don't care about anybody but there selfs

Agree 100 percent.

Even if you do manage to get the jet ski scam shut down for sure the same people will gravitate to another scam.

It is institutional corruption that needs to be rooted out and this must come from reforming police force, judiciary, education, and political system.

Don't hold your breath!

If the jetski scams stops these bastards will find something else to ripoff the tourists.

Agree 100 percent.

Even if you do manage to get the jet ski scam shut down for sure the same people will gravitate to another scam.

It is institutional corruption that needs to be rooted out and this must come from reforming police force, judiciary, education, and political system.

Don't hold your breath!

Do you think they would "scam" you if you took the time to take pictures of the jet ski prior to using it? Maybe that would help a bit (same for motorcycle rental scam). Of course, the police will do nothing unless you pay them a lot more money than the scammers are paying them to do nothing :)

I'm confused. Did'nt the TAT say they'ed investigated everything, whatever that might be, and they have confirmed there is no problem with the jet skis anywhere, everything is really great and any problems of any sort are caused by the Burmese.

:jap:

I'm confused. Did'nt the TAT say they'ed investigated everything, whatever that might be, and they have confirmed there is no problem with the jet skis anywhere, everything is really great and any problems of any sort are caused by the Burmese.

:jap:

I believe they said "Cambodians and farangs" and not "Burmese," but I could have misinterpreted what they said :)

Agree 100 percent.

Don't hold your breath!

Do you think they would "scam" you if you took the time to take pictures of the jet ski prior to using it? Maybe that would help a bit (same for motorcycle rental scam). Of course, the police will do nothing unless you pay them a lot more money than the scammers are paying them to do nothing :)

It really wouldn't matter because they are a law unto themselves.

Just steer clear.

BTW They scam Thais as well not just foreigners. I presume that some of the Thais they have scammed over the years have connections but even those connections dont seem to be able to save the Thais so what hope does your average tourist have.

Why do these morons keep hiring the jetskis?

Surely everyone now knows what goes on, stop hiring them and they go bust simple!!!! :annoyed:

Just because you and I know about it doesn't mean the throngs of new tourists who come to Thailand all the time have any idea about it.

Even if you did a bit of research on an upcoming holiday to Thailand it is unlikely you would come across any literature on this scam.