High Protein Rich Thai Food

dylan137

Hello :)

I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks in September on holiday. I will be visiting Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui and Bangkok.

I workout regularly and whilst not a 'body builder' I am in the process of building up my physique to a level I hope to reach in the next 2 years. As commonly known, a high protein intake is key to gaining muscular mass. I require circa 160g of protein a day. Here, in the UK, I achieve this amount by eating 2 protein rich meals a day (lunch and dinner) and supplementing my daily diet with 2 protein powder based shakes.

For my holiday in Thailand, I am planning to take my own protein powder. However I do not want to depend on it and must intake protein through natural sources. I wil probably have one shake a day in the morning, meaning my remaining 130g of protein must come from when I eat meals

I am aware foods such as eggs, nuts, lentils, beans, meat (red and white) and fish are high in protein. I currently eat all of these foods with no problem

My question is; what should I be eating whilst in Thailand for these 3 weeks to ensure I hit my daily target of 160g? I will not be cooking my own meals whilst there, I will be eating out for every meal (not the real fancy restaurants, the sort of places locals eat at)

When I was in Thailand last year (I was not working out at this stage) I often ordered plates of chicken with rice or noodles. Whilst these dishes were quite filling, this was mainly down to the carbohydrate element of the said rice/noodles. This time around, I will be wanting to eat less carbohydrates

Irrespective of what I just said however, these dishes were not giving me the sort of protein per dish that I would now need to reach my protein target

What I'm trying to say is (sorry for writing so much!); do I simply need to eat more of the dishes I order (be that per seating or eat more meals throughout the day) or are there a handful of 'magical dishes' I can safely order in the knowledge of knowing each dish contains a very high protein count?

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated

I bodybuild and it's a challenge to eat a lot of protein from Thai food. You can order a whole fish at restaurants and sometimes street vendors. The BBQ skewer carts offer not only beef, chicken, and pork, but chicken gizzards, heart and liver. Those innards are very high in protein. I always ask the BBQ vendor to not apply butter and just a bit of MSG. You can also look for BBQ chicken (gai yang) carts. If ordering stir fry dishes, I always ask for it to be topped with a fried egg. Lastly, you can order kao man gai (boiled chicken over rice). The chicken portion is small, so I ask for extra. On occasion, I'll order a burger from a street vendor or doner kabab.

You'll be hard pushed to find an all-in-one dish with the amount of protein that you get in the west . . . but never fear; Thai streets abound with vendors selling grilled or fried chicken, meat on a stick, liver on a stick, whole grilled catfish (these are delicious plenty of meat on them too).

Buy as many of these as you can handle. They're typically cheap and they go well with somtam and sticky rice, which I find to be far more filling than non-sticky rice pound for pound.

Avoid sausagey looking things, these typically don't have that much meat in them unless they're the fragrant herby spicy northern kind (sai ua).

The Moo Gratah (pan pork) restaurants are good value too. For typically 100 - 250 you get an all-you-can-eat supply of bits of dead animal (not necessarily just pork) which you cook yourself at the grill / hot-pot at your table. Greens and carby things count as side orders. Good fun in a group with some drinks..

Thank you for your replies :)

I think I'm going to try and eat more meals a day and try to pack them with fish and chicken, my 2 most favourable sources of protein

Also, I have been advised NOT to bring protein powder with me, for the sake of avoiding any complications at the airports, even though I will be checking my luggage in each time.

Considering I am going to be getting potentially 6 flights in total (outbound, inbound & 4 domestic), this probably makes sense - ?

Can I ask, what could I eat in the mornings as breakfast which will at least contain some sort of protein, say 10-15g? I know Thai's happily eat all varieties of food at any time of day, but I may find typical dishes a bit tough to stomach first thing in the morning

The protein powders are sold in Thailand - expect a mark up for import tax.

I recall a post in these forums before about bringing in muscle powders - the suggestion was that as long as you are carrying it in a sealed container for your own use with a receipt you should be fine.

There are many Buffet style places to eat were you can load your plate with liver, seafood, and often fatty cuts of meat. The street carts and walking mobile sellers carry hot BBQed eggs and meats that are great.

There are menus I have posted in this forum before with pictures and Thai text that you could use to ensure you order a whole lump of chicken or whatever you seek without rice.

Can I ask, what could I eat in the mornings as breakfast which will at least contain some sort of protein, say 10-15g? I know Thai's happily eat all varieties of food at any time of day, but I may find typical dishes a bit tough to stomach first thing in the morning

I would suggest you buy something the night before if possible. Breakfast choices in Thailand are meager at best. But if you can find and afford buffet breakfasts, there will be meat and eggs available.

Again, thank you very much for you replies :)

There are menus I have posted in this forum before with pictures and Thai text that you could use to ensure you order a whole lump of chicken or whatever you seek without rice.

That would be very interesting, could you please point me in the right direction or even better exactly where biggrin.gif If not I'd have a search around. Thank you

Jog (sounds like "joke") is a congee-like rice gruel that looks like baby food and be can commonly be found in the mornings. It is perfect for for hangovers and typically has bits of minced pork and some innards in it, with an optional egg. Fish versions can also be found.

You'll soon get bored of it if you have it every day but this is probably going to be the most feasible option for you because you can ask the vendor to tank it out with loads of protein. . . "Sai moo yuh-yuh (put in pork alot-alot) . . . sai ik (put in some more)" etc.

Don't forget finish the odd sentence or request with "Khrap" if you want to come across as polite.

Isaan food is probably your best bet. For protein, grilled pork bits, grilled chicken, laap, nam tok muu with somtam (pretty low carb) and a bit of sticky rice to fill you up.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing which is easy to find and make yourself is eggs. Pop into your nearest convenience store for a pack. Boil them up in your hotel room (use your kettle if you don't have a hot plate) and enjoy.

aren't Thai eggs fantastic ?...beaut red yolks.....! duck eggs from the market are really good too ( white shell) seem to be more filling too.. sometimes see vendors with the basket on their shoulder with bbq's eggs...gooood

Fish Squid shrimp tofu nuts eggs dairy chicken pork geasshoppers grubs etc... there are spirulina farms in Thailand were you can buy powder (very high in protein). Cans of tuna or mackeral in every shop. Protein powder in every pharmacy.....

Edited by beammeup

• 1 month later...

kinda stupid answer*

i recommend for mk restaurant , they have nutrition calculation for you after the meal :D

excellent answer actually, you can order heavy on the meats and eat as much or as little carbs/protein as you want.

it is, after all, essentially you cooking your own dinner