Non Immigration O Vs Non Immigration O-A Visa

What is the difference between the Non-Immigration O versus the Non-Immigration O-A visa?

Both can have multiple entry if one wants?

Both renewable annually?

Both have Income requirements?

I have a prior criminal record. Can I convert a tourist visa to a multiple entry Non-Immigration O Visa once I get to Thailand? If so, am I better off not getting a Non-Immigration O-A visa for( retirement) since a proof of no criminal record is required.

Does Immigration check if a foreigner has a criminal record before and deny entry on a tourist visa in Thailand?

If so, how was Mike Tyson allowed to enter the country on a work permit to film Hangover 2 the movie? He has a criminal record.

Short answer -- yes, you can retire in Thailand as a lifer (if over 50) using retirement extensions and never need to apply for an O-A visa (which does require a police record report). The process is somewhat different. Details of that are available about 1000 times on this board, so I just answered your prime concern.

Do they do a screen of tourist visa applicants? They might, not sure. Also at least some immigration offices, especially Pattaya, do run retired people's names against international criminal databases. However, my impression is they are looking for WANTED criminals, not people with some criminal past that have been released. On the other hand if your crime was serious and related to drug dealing or sex crimes, I think you may indeed have a problem. It's difficult to say for sure as they aren't publishing all their policies.

Edited by Jingthing