Kiwis Stun Aussies In Tri-nations Opener

chuchok

SYDNEY- The Kiwis scored one of the biggest boilovers in the history New Zealand rugby league with an amazing 38-28 win over Australia in a see-sawing opening Tri-Nations clash at Telstra Stadium last night.

The visitors stormed out of the gates to open up an 18-0 lead after as many minutes before holding off a magnificent fightback from the home side to score their first win over the Kangaroos in Australia since 1991, and their first in Sydney since 1959.

In a heart-stopping finish to the game, man of the match Clinton Toopi only sealed victory for the Kiwis when he completed a hattrick with four minutes remaining, with the small band of New Zealand fans in the 28,255 crowd sent into wild celebrations.

The Kangaroos appeared to be on their way to victory when they scored four tries in nine minutes before halftime, a Matt King try eight minutes after the break then putting the home side up 22-18.

But the Kiwis refused to give up, with a Nathan Cayless four-pointer in the 59th minute putting New Zealand back in front before Nigel Vagana took advantage of some slack marker defence to race 60 metres to give the Kiwis a 30-22 lead.

A penalty goal to Stacey Jones, playing his first Test match in two years, extended the margin to 10, before Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier scored his second of the night to ensure a grandstand finish.

The Kiwis stunned the home side early with Toopi scoring a double in the opening eleven minutes of the match to give the Kiwis a surprising 12-0 lead.

The Australians threatened to hit back, with both Trent Waterhouse and Ben Kennedy denied tries after dropping the ball short of the line.

Brent Webb had the Australians well and truly on the back foot when he scored in the 18th minute. The Kiwi fullback took advantage of Waterhouse's inexperience in the centres where he had to play after winger Timana Tahu was forced from the field with a hamstring injury.

A decision by English referee Steve Ganson not to penalise Waterhouse for coming from an offside position to tackle winger Jake Webster angered the Kiwis and turned the match, with the Penrith backrower denying the debutant winger a near certain try in the 26th minute.

The call changed the momentum of the game, with the Kangaroos scoring tries in the 31st, 34th, 37th and 39th minutes to get back in the match.

Brent Tate scored the home side's opening try, with a magnificent 80 metre burst capped off by two ferocious fends on Roy Asotasi and Webb who were coming across in cover defence.

Halfback Andrew Johns scored Australia's second from close range soon after, and the Kangaroos were well and truly rolling when Mark Gasnier scored just inside the corner post, with the Kiwis a touch unlucky after it had appeared the centre had gone into touch before placing the ball down.

Tate's second try was simply brilliant, coming on the back of an 80 metre sweeping movement, with the ball passing through several sets of hands.

The play was brought to an end just short of the line and from there Johns cleverly got away an overhead pass to put Tate over, which locked up the game at 18-all at halftime.

New Zealand 38 (Clinton Toopi 3, Brent Webb, Nathan Cayless, Nigel Vagana tries; Stacey Jones 7 goals)

Australia 28 (Brent Tate 2, Mark Gasnier 2, Andrew Johns, Matt King tries; Craig Fitzgibbon goal; Andrew Johns goal)- AAP

SYDNEY- The Kiwis scored one of the biggest boilovers in the history New Zealand rugby league with an amazing 38-28 win over Australia in a see-sawing opening Tri-Nations clash at Telstra Stadium last night.

Congratulations again to the real World Champions.

The Famed Aussie gold now looks like a distinct shade of, how does one say in english? er pi$$.

So let's examine shall we?

Cricket er no

Rugby er no

Yachting er no

Rugby league er no

Am I is leave anything out?!!!!!!

Q. What do you call an Australian who has purchased dinner at Sirocco, goes to Q Bar and then leaves for home in his BMW but he has still not drunk enough to be over the limit?

A. f&*king ocker

Regards

"Sheep Shagging Kiwi" (at least that will be the retort for the ockers out there!)

p.s. all in good fun; you've been champions at almost everything for a few years, let everyone enjoy your misery for a while, ya aussie barstewards

The Famed Aussie gold now looks like a distinct shade of, how does one say in english? er pi$$.

So let's examine shall we?

Cricket er no

Rugby er no

Yachting er no

Rugby league er no

Am I is leave anything out?!!!!!!

Q. What do you call an Australian who has purchased dinner at Sirocco, goes to Q Bar and then leaves for home in his BMW but he has still not drunk enough to be over the limit?

A. f&*king ocker

Regards

"Sheep Shagging Kiwi" (at least that will be the retort for the ockers out there!)

p.s. all in good fun; you've been champions at almost everything for a few years, let everyone enjoy your misery for a while, ya aussie barstewards

87 what a good post number, do i detect a note of jelousy from our poster.

just remember one swallow does not a summer make (it might be winter)

but as we say at least we can afford the BMW the sheepshaggers would convert it, by the way what do you call a kiwi in a suit in OZ

A defendant

just good fun as we say though :o

This was the first win by the Kiwis against the Kangaroos in Sydney since 1959.

Nobody could argue that Australia is not the best team in the world (and one loss against the Kiwis doesn't change this fact). After more than 20 years of dominance of the international scene the side again and again brings out the goods to win vital test matches.

How long this dominance may last is not yet known with the improving performances of both New Zealand and Great Britain, but in the meanwhile, the Kangaroos still deserve to be named, number one.

but as we say at least we can afford the BMW the sheepshaggers would convert it, by the way what do you call a kiwi in a suit in OZ

A defendant

Classic stuff mate :-) I know you blokes will win the rest, so I have to bask in the glory of my 2nd cuntry while I still can :-) Isn't likely that Thailand is going to be a power house in Rugger league for a while.

A defendant

Classic stuff mate :-) I know you blokes will win the rest, so I have to bask in the glory of my 2nd cuntry while I still can :-) Isn't likely that Thailand is going to be a power house in Rugger league for a while.

it's at least having a go at both rugby and cricket at ajunior level

it's at least having a go at both rugby and cricket at ajunior level

Champions at a real sport - Thai boxing - that's enough for me :-)

Potential to be champs/already champs in some cases at windsurfing, weight lifting, boxing and a few others... even better.

I think rugby will work; especially for sevens and if there is a weight category about 4 level (NZ system) for adults; less sure about the cricket; even less sure whether I could be bothered watching cricket here in the sun. The Chang will would be wiping me out a bit more than luke warm leon rouge. :o:D

:o What a load of <deleted>

we gone a bit quiet after friday's result Oz knockers :D

Bronco so true, it would appear that silence is golden!! What makes em stand out in those suits are the shiny wellys.

Does anyone have a small cartoon to assist our non south pacific members picture (hence understand) the wellys sling off!! (joke). :o

Edited by mijan24