THAI Ranks 5th As World’s Best Airline In 2011

webfact

This is not my own opinion but that of my Thai wife. She has flown Thai a few times betwen BKK and LHR and after the last flight vowed never to use them again. Old planes, poor IFE and seating, terrible food and poor service are her reasons. Those ranked below 5th must be utterly appalling if her experience is accurate.

have to agree 100% with this poor inflight entertainment and additionally getting a drink out of them is a battle, they just seemed reluctant when I tried to order, never experienced this with qatar emirates or etihad although the worst are air india and anything else that uses india as a stop - horrendous airports at both delhi and mumbai (never again)

And my experience is the exact opposite: On TG I always get the drinks immediately and with a friendly smile, while on some European airlines they give me the feeling that this is out of their job description and even "forget". Once I asked for a water and was told where I can go and get it - no such impoliteness on TG.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai's new slogan "I fly Thai" Did they not check on that before they used it ? All the Druggies in America use that saying.

Guess their business from all the druggies will go up and from the other resectable folks will go down.

Hay let's send them all to Pattaya for a better class of tourist !

I fly ABBA - Anyone But BA. That's because of its unique combination of surly service by dowdy staff in shabby aeroplanes from dirty terminals. It is a sort of airborne metaphor for modern Britain.

Plus I avoid Royal Air Cambodge, of course.

Have flown Thai a few times, but only when someone else is paying -- their prices seem well out of line for what they offer.

Edited by RickBradford

You doubting Thomases are not alone......

These folks are convinced that Skytrax (research group) filters responses, see this link and scroll down http://airlinersindi...ftopic9408.html

http://www.airliners...d.main/3635097/

http://www.businesst...e-they-for-real

http://boardingarea....tar-airline-is/

Shocker, a corporation performing a large, complex set of tasks has critics. Who'd a thunk?

whistling.gif

The majority of voters fly economy, and Thai economy give better quality alcohol and decent seats on the way to a great holiday, so the voters are happy.

Exactly. You need to compare conditions in the same class to have a meaningful comparison. I have no doubt that business class on Emirates is wonderful, but for economy Thai is much more comfortable.

Can't believe that Air China isn't in top 5 - excellent.

This must be some other Air China from the one I caught on Friday. The seats still had *ash trays*, the staff could barely speak English, the food was crap, the beer was warm, the seats were old and wonky. The only positive was decent leg room.

This is also the airline that landed a flight upside down in Hong Kong :-)

Terribly small seats in economy- no IFE, even in buisness on many flights. Plus THAI has some of the oldest stewardesses in the industry- and for some reason they put them all in buisness class- so businessmen who paid a premium for buisness class get served by hostesses who literally look like their mothers while economy class gets the hotties:)

Hahahaha. The one time I had to fly economy to Europe, I consoled myself with admiring the much prettier and younger air stewardesses in coach (and getting their phone numbers of course)

So they are better then Lufthansa, Air France, KLM all American airlines etc.. they must be blind or on drugs at Sky trax.

My comment:

1. American Airlines - did about 10 flights with them over two year period until one year back (no choice of airlines - company contract), Tokyo to Houston, worst trips I ever did, cabin crew average age about 65, passengers just a nuisance, every request became a complex issue, unbelievable time involved to get meals to every passenger, a couple of flights I requested a small bottle of white wine (not free, and it turned out to be crap) when the meal tray was delivered to my seat. Initial response was confusiion and comments like 'not sure if i'll be able to handle that, my colleagues are really busy' etc etc., plus a look on the atendants face which meant 'do you want to cancel the order?' It was served about 30 minutes after the trays had been taken back.

2. Re Thai: ".........second place for Best Airline Ground Services category ........" This must be must be a mistake in their data. The attitude of check-in staff and any other ground staff is apalling. Staff in their business class lounges at swampy are simply lazy. Initial response to most question is a total blank look, and it takes 10 explanations of simple matters to get some simple understanding, then standard response is mai dai.

Edited by scorecard

So they are better then Lufthansa, Air France, KLM all American airlines etc.. they must be blind or on drugs at Sky trax.

My comment:

1. American Airlines - did about 10 flights with them over two year period until one year back (no choice of airlines - company contract), Tokyo to Houston, worst trips I ever did, cabin crew average age about 65, passengers just a nuisance, every request became a complex issue, unbelievable time involved to get meals to every passenger, a couple of flights I requested a small bottle of white wine (not free, and it turned out to be crap) when the meal tray was delivered to my seat. Initial response was confusiion and comments like 'not sure if i'll be able to handle that, my colleagues are really busy' etc etc., plus a look on the atendants face which meant 'do you want to cancel the order?' It was served about 30 minutes after the trays had been taken back.

2. Re Thai: ".........second place for Best Airline Ground Services category ........" This must be must be a mistake in their data. The attitude of check-in staff and any other ground staff is apalling. Staff in their business class lounges at swampy are simply lazy. Initial response to most question is a total blank look, and it takes 10 explanations of simple matters to get some simple understanding, then standard response is mai dai.

So, when you're in Swampy the Thai Airways staff speak Thai with you? Hmmm. Are you Thai? Then I would believe you.

jap.gif

Well this only goes to prove what garbage skytrax is,and to think i used to look at their site

maybe thai air have some money to dish out for good rankings.if thai air was 5th best i think i would be taking the boat in the future

Edited by KKvampire

The first Thai Airways flight I was ever on seemed pretty nice to me, but there was this old German couple that had a problem. It was a one hour quickie from Bkk to Krabi, and drinks were served once along with snacks. By this time, when people were finishing, we were going to be on the ground in like 15 or 20 min. Suddenly these Germans call a stewardess over, who was very polite, and they started bitching her out, I mean hard. They felt so entitled and so angry. The reason: everybody on the plane was served one drink.

Now that I think about it, I believe that flight takes less than an hour. Having one drink is all that makes sense really. So anyway, this couple keeps bitching, "this is Thai Airways...this is supposed to be a world class airline..." blah blah blah so forth and so on. While everybody on the plane was just thinking, "shut the hell up you whiners."

Anyway, I thought the staff handled those two middle aged toddlers quite well. I can tell you that the only problem Thai Airways had was having to deal with these two snobs. The rest was just a problem with that's bound to occur anytime stupid people open their mouths or attempt to do anything. For me that incident is actually what makes Thai airways a good airline. You can have the newest planes on Earth and the flashiest everything, but top rank airlines like Thai train their staff very well and teach them good customer service, and it makes all the difference.

wink.gif

I have flown most of main airlines and like Thai although some of their planes are a bit old. Ive flown Austrian, Lufhansa, Singapore, cathy, Thai, BA, Quantas,EVA, Brunai,Garuda, Emirates and several other carriers. Ive had sometimes terrible service on most of them and bad seats cramped and food that was uneatable (quantas was worst for food). Best one I reckon is emirates. Ive never had bad service with Thai and only thing I could complain about is quite a few of their planes do not have individual screens. SIngapore airlines on one flight was awful and I was really disappointed most people claim they are the best. Ive also flown economy, business and First class with Thai and other airlines and I would say on shorter haul flights first class sometimes is no better than economy plus apart from food and free champagne.

This is not my own opinion but that of my Thai wife. She has flown Thai a few times betwen BKK and LHR and after the last flight vowed never to use them again. Old planes, poor IFE and seating, terrible food and poor service are her reasons. Those ranked below 5th must be utterly appalling if her experience is accurate.

I've always had good service from Thai Airways, but funnily enough I've heard several Thais say the same about Thai Airways - namely poor service for Thais while farang seem to get preferential treatment.

I've always had good service from Thai Airways, but funnily enough I've heard several Thais say the same about Thai Airways - namely poor service for Thais while farang seem to get preferential treatment.

There. That should be a stop to those farangs that's constantly complaining about profiling and double standards.

Thai Airways runs a pretty tight ship, but you know there are always those people who get a gold nugget and they say, "Oh, I was expecting a gold necklace. Can I have that instead?"

I own a business, and I can safely say that there are customers who will simply never be happy. There's just not a product that meets their needs. For the majority of us who don't fall into the "I'm impossible to please category" Thai Air is doing a pretty good job.

If you're the type of person who asks for something and when they bring it you smile and thank them then Thai Air will probably work for you. However, if you're the type who asks for something and upon receiving thinks, "has this person made me feel special, like a unique snowflake" as you are frowning at them then Thai Air may not be for you.

violin.gif

Thai Airways runs a pretty tight ship, but you know there are always those people who get a gold nugget and they say, "Oh, I was expecting a gold necklace. Can I have that instead?"

I own a business, and I can safely say that there are customers who will simply never be happy. There's just not a product that meets their needs. For the majority of us who don't fall into the "I'm impossible to please category" Thai Air is doing a pretty good job.

If you're the type of person who asks for something and when they bring it you smile and thank them then Thai Air will probably work for you. However, if you're the type who asks for something and upon receiving thinks, "has this person made me feel special, like a unique snowflake" as you are frowning at them then Thai Air may not be for you.

violin.gif

What you say is very true. In my business (service industry), I only ever get complaints from clients and very very few compliments because they expect that things will run smoothly in the first instance. However, the thread here is about Thai being the 5th best airline in the world and this a a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Apart from actual comfort on the plane and check in on the ground, one also needs to consider stuff like ease of use of the internet bookings, online check-ins, quality of lounges etc etc

I am a gold member on Thai which means that I do fly Thai regularly and I'm satisfied overall. But it is true that the air stewardesses in Business class are older than in CX or MH or SQ and many others..... :(

violin.gif

What you say is very true. In my business (service industry), I only ever get complaints from clients and very very few compliments because they expect that things will run smoothly in the first instance. However, the thread here is about Thai being the 5th best airline in the world and this a a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Apart from actual comfort on the plane and check in on the ground, one also needs to consider stuff like ease of use of the internet bookings, online check-ins, quality of lounges etc etc

I am a gold member on Thai which means that I do fly Thai regularly and I'm satisfied overall. But it is true that the air stewardesses in Business class are older than in CX or MH or SQ and many others..... :(

So, they haven't made you feel like a unique snowflake?

biggrin.gif

violin.gif

biggrin.gif

You kidding me? :D :D

After two years of being a Gold member, it was only on my last flight from Hkg that the chief purser actually came up to me to say hello and welcome - first time it happened to me. I was so stunned that I even forgot to ask for a second bag of almonds.

violin.gif

biggrin.gif

You kidding me? :D :D

After two years of being a Gold member, it was only on my last flight from Hkg that the chief purser actually came up to me to say hello and welcome - first time it happened to me. I was so stunned that I even forgot to ask for a second bag of almonds.

cheesy.gif

Yes, they are...

Platinum cards are better than gold, and good airlines will greet you on board mentioning you by your name. Never had that with Thai.

So please don't come the gold card routine, So many people have a high status card, get into lounges and priority check in, but only travel economy...sorry but true...B)

Edited by ginjag

Yes, they are...

Dunno bout those airlines, but I can't see how they are rated above Air NZ, Etihad or Emirates. Guess everyone has their own favorites.

You think Thai airways is bad , don't fly Aroflot they have outside toilets and soup in a basket,:bah:

You know if this survey were about a country's buses from city to city etc. I would say that I've never been on a better state run bus system than I was on Mexico. Would this be popular? Doubtful. However I've been on a good solid number of buses in as many countries. Mexico does it right.

I'm not seeing the difference in comparison between this and Thai Airways vs. competitors.

whistling.gif