Retirement Visaons

Hi Guys,

You have probarbly been asked this before so my apologies, i did look but could not find.

I have been living in Thailand for 6 months now & entered on a tourist visa so have been doing visa runs monthly. I am British and will be 50 on 24 April 2006.

I have set up a Thai limited company and will be buying a patch of land so as to build a villa and sell on hopefully to make a profit.

There is also a posibility that i will start some sort of business so may need a work permit but this is not for sure.

Also i am considering getting married, would this be foolish or an advantage to me business/tax wise?

Ive been told by my solicitor to carry on doing visa runs every month and apply for a retirement visa when i reach 50.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Pete Smith

From what you posted it sounds like you DON"T have a visa. A tourist visa is good for a 60 day stay so you would not be making visa runs monthly. Did you get a full page visa stamp in thre UK before coming here?

You need to get at least a tourist visa outside Thailand to be able to change it to another type in Thailand.

I may be incorrect as I'm not one of the local visa experts but you need to be 100% sure of what you have to get proper advice.

Surfline,

Before another pedant picks up on this: you are not doing visa runs. You are making visa avoidance runs. How much did you pay your legal advisor for his priceless advice.

I suggest on or before your current 30days are up you jet off to Penang and ask for a double entry tourist visa. In practice that will give you 180 days (you will need to do one visa run). This will take you past your 50th birthday by which time you will probably be clearer as to your future plans.

Re. your marriage. Anyone in mind?

Surfline,

Before another pedant picks up on this: you are not doing visa runs. You are making visa avoidance runs. How much did you pay your legal advisor for his priceless advice.

Very well put.

I suggest on or before your current 30days are up you jet off to Penang and ask for a double entry tourist visa. In practice that will give you 180 days (you will need to do one visa run). This will take you past your 50th birthday by which time you will probably be clearer as to your future plans.

And excellent advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Surfline,

thanks for the advice, is it straightforward & what will i need to take with me document wise besides my passport?

Surfline,

thanks for the advice, is it straightforward & what will i need to take with me document wise besides my passport?

For a tourist visa you just need your passport :o

To get the maximum out of it do this (assuming a double entry):-

a. You will get a 60 day stamp when you arrive in Th.

b. Just before it expires whizz down to your local immigration and get a 30 day extension (1900 Baht I think).

c. At the end of the extension do a visa run to activate the second entry.

d. Repeat from a.

Nett result, 180 hassle free days in sunny Thailand.