Bangkok selected as World Book Capital 2013

News_Editor

Bangkok selected as World Book Capital 2013

2011-06-30 07:29:55 GMT+7 (ICT)

UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) -- The United Nations (UN) on Wednesday announced that an international committee designated Bangkok, Thailand as World Book Capital 2013.

Representatives from the publishing world, along with the UN Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (UNESCO), met at the UN agency's Paris headquarters where they agreed on selecting Bangkok.

The committee said it selected Bangkok "for its willingness to bring together all the various stakeholders in the book supply chain and beyond, actors involved in the publication chain for a range of projects proposed, for its community-focused and the high level of its commitment through the proposed activities."

Meanwhile, UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova congratulated Bangkok "for the rich and varied program it has prepared and committed itself to, that gives special emphasis to young people, marginalized groups and the development of reading for all."

The UNESCO chief also noted that Bangkok had emphasized the importance of cooperation and dialogue, at local, national and international levels. "This program responds perfectly to the objectives of the World Book Capital project, which is attracting the attention of an increasing number of cities worldwide," Bokova added.

The World Book Capital selection committee includes representatives from the International Publishers Associations, the International Booksellers Federation, the International Federation of Library Associations, and UNESCO.

Each year this committee attributes the title to a city which has committed itself to promote books and reading, and to highlight the vitality of literary creativity. The nomination does not imply any financial prize, but an exclusively symbolic acknowledgment of the best program dedicated to books and reading, UNESCO said.

Previous World Book Capitals were: Madrid (Spain, 2001), Alexandria (Egypt, 2002), New Delhi (India, 2003), Antwerp (Belgium, 2004), Montreal (Canada, 2005), Turin (Italy, 2006), Bogota (Colombia, 2007), Amsterdam (the Netherlands, 2008), Beirut (Lebanon, 2009), Ljubljana (Slovenia, 2010), Buenos Aires (Argentina, 2011) and Yerevan (Armenia, 2012).

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-30

Any country that charges import duty on imported books should be excluded from ever being considered for this award.

Not to mention the heavy censorship on books and other media. I never smile!

Indeed. The extortionate prices they charge for imported materials is essentially a tax on knowledge and learning, under the guise of supposedly protecting the domestic printers.

I remember having to import a car seat from the UK for my son about 12 years ago, because none of the one's available at the time were safe enough. When I was landed with a 50% import duty for importing "children's toys/apparel or others", the logic of saying that this was safety equipment to save the life of a Thai citizen, even the customs officials agreed with me, but then went onto say "the law is the law".

<br />The mind boggles. Most of the Thais I know find reading about as pleasurable as I do having my testicles stamped on.<br />

Your post really says more about you than Thai people's reading habits.

Edited by regine

Bangkok named World Book Capital 2013

PARIS, June 30 - Thailand’s capital city of Bangkok has been chosen as the 2013 “World Book Capital” by a selection committee including the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), it was announced after a meeting held at UNESCO’s Paris Headquarters.

Bangkok was designated to be World Book Capital in 2013 for its willingness to bring together all the various stakeholders in the book supply chain and beyond, actors involved in the publication chain for a range of projects proposed, for its community-focused and the high level of its commitment through the proposed activities, according to the committee.

“I would like to congratulate Bangkok for the rich and varied programme it has prepared and committed itself to, that gives special emphasis to young people, marginalised groups and the development of reading for all,” said UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova.

“With its accent on cooperation and dialogue, at local, national and international levels, this programme responds perfectly to the objectives of the World Book Capital project, which is attracting the attention of an increasing number of cities worldwide.”

The committee working for the World Book Capital project is composed of representatives from the International Publishers Associations (IPA-UIE), the International Booksellers Federation (IBF), the International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) and UNESCO.

Every year, UNESCO and the three major branches the global book industry award the title to a city which has committed itself to promote books and reading, and to highlight the vitality of literary creativity.

The nomination does not imply any financial prize but an exclusively symbolic acknowledgement of the best programme dedicated to books and reading.

Thailand is the 13th city to be selected as World Book Capital, following Madrid (Spain, 2001), Alexandria (Egypt, 2002), New Delhi (India, 2003), Antwerp (Belgium, 2004), Montreal (Canada, 2005), Turin (Italy, 2006), Bogota (Colombia, 2007), Amsterdam (The Netherlands, 2008), Beirut (Lebanon, 2009), Ljubljana (Slovenia, 2010), Buenos Aires (Argentina, 2011) and Yerevan (Armenia, 2012) respectively. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-30

Good for Thailand and its people!! clap2.gif

I went to a huge week long book fair in Bangkok a few months back and it was packed with people of all ages every day I went.

Anything to recognize and continue to promote more recreational reading or learning is great news.

The United Nations put Libya on the Human Rights Council and named Thailand as the World Book Capital. Well no one can say that they do not have a sense of humor. :blink:

The UN giving Lybia the boot from the council earlier this year would be more relevant but more importantly it is not the UN who chose Thailand for this honor. It was a group of organizations that included the International Publishers Associations, the International Booksellers Federation, the International Federation of Library Associations, "and" UNESCO.

It was a group of organizations that included the International Publishers Associations, the International Booksellers Federation, the International Federation of Library Associations, "and" UNESCO.

Nana will do some good buisness with all the Librarians in town...:rolleyes:

As with most things of this nature..cities/countries are picked based solely on what the particular country/city has done for the selection commitee i.e. freebies given, its not based on merit..:whistling:

It was a group of organizations that included the International Publishers Associations, the International Booksellers Federation, the International Federation of Library Associations, "and" UNESCO.

Nana will do some good buisness with all the Librarians in town...:rolleyes:

As with most things of this nature..cities/countries are picked based solely on what the particular country/city has done for the selection commitee i.e. freebies given, its not based on merit..:whistling:

I have to agree with you because it really does seem logical Thailand paid off all these groups. I think it is always the case when Thailand or its companies, airports/airlines, people or basically anything Thai rates well. But we all know when Thai related things rate low that those recognition are true. biggrin.gif

BOOK

Unesco names Bangkok as World Book Capital

By The Nation

Paris

It will be over a year before the title takes effect, but Bangkok has been chosen as World Book Capital for 2013. The city was selected by a committee made up of representatives from the three main branches of the publishing world and Unesco, which met at the organisation's Paris headquarters on June 27.

Each year this committee awards the title to a city which has committed itself to promote books and reading, and to highlight the vitality of literary creativity. The nomination does not involve any financial prize, but "is an exclusively symbolic acknowledgement of the best programme dedicated to books and reading,"the committee said.

The committee selected Bangkok "for its willingness to bring together all the various stakeholders in the book supply chain and beyond, actors involved in the publication chain for a range of projects proposed, for its community-focused and the high level of its commitment through the proposed activities."

"I would like to congratulate Bangkok for the rich and varied programme it has prepared and committed itself to, that gives special emphasis to young people, marginalised groups and the development of reading for all," said Unesco director-general Irina Bokova.

"With its accent on cooperation and dialogue, at local, national and international levels, this programme responds perfectly to the objectives of the World Book Capital project, which is attracting the attention of an increasing number of cities worldwide," she said.

Bangkok is the 13th World Book Capital following Madrid (Spain, 2001), Alexandria (Egypt, 2002), New Delhi (India, 2003), Antwerp (Belgium, 2004), Montreal (Canada, 2005), Turin (Italy, 2006), Bogota (Colombia, 2007), Amsterdam (The Netherlands, 2008), Beirut (Lebanon, 2009), Ljubljana (Slovenia, 2010), Buenos Aires (Argentina, 2011) and Yerevan (Armenia, 2012).

The World Book Capital selection committee includes representatives from the International Publishers Associations (IPA-UIE), the International Booksellers Federation (IBF), the International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) and Unesco.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-01

I went to a huge week long book fair in Bangkok a few months back and it was packed with people of all ages every day I went.

Anything to recognize and continue to promote more recreational reading or learning is great news.

Nisa I'm sure you are right that the others commenting have never been to the book fair in Bangkok. The Queen Sirikit Exhibition Hall is packed every day, mainly with youngsters. Of course much of it is about cartoon books, but more than three quarters of the stands are not offering these. The Harry Potter phenomenon that swept through the English speaking world also came to Thailand with the Thai translations. I think some of can even remember the books being stacked up for sale inside the Lotus-Tesco supermarkets. Still best to let the whingers have an outlet for their misinformation.

Nisa I'm sure you are right that the others commenting have never been to the book fair in Bangkok. The Queen Sirikit Exhibition Hall is packed every day, mainly with youngsters. Of course much of it is about cartoon books, but more than three quarters of the stands are not offering these. The Harry Potter phenomenon that swept through the English speaking world also came to Thailand with the Thai translations. I think some of can even remember the books being stacked up for sale inside the Lotus-Tesco supermarkets. Still best to let the whingers have an outlet for their misinformation.

But where is the misinformation in what we actually see every day? Not everyone lives in Bangkok you know.

Nisa,if you don`t have a Kindle,get one. They are an absolute godsend for book lovers in Thailand.

I wish you both well.

But where is the misinformation in what we actually see every day? Not everyone lives in Bangkok you know.

Nisa,if you don`t have a Kindle,get one. They are an absolute godsend for book lovers in Thailand.

I wish you both well.

I agree, Kindle is a great thing, but you don't need to buy the device. Install the free software on you PC, Android tablet etc, and start reading...

Any country that charges import duty on imported books should be excluded from ever being considered for this award.

Sabai Sabai,

You for forgot one.

Whomever it is, maybe Captain Chalerm and his boys, who decide which books you are allowed to read and NOT allowed to read.

You find this same attitude at Asia Books were the staff - who are barely literate in English - decide which book they will order even there the book is listed on their inventory-to-order list. The past couple months there are four books they conveniently do not order, with the Bakers Dozen Thai Smile. of course. One of the books is a book written about hundred years ago by a water control engineer from Holland about his work in Thailand, for which he was thrown out of the country.