Thailand Is A Regional Hub For Human Misery

webfact

but thais love to have a cheap slave labour in their house to do everything for them for almost nothing per month

There is credible historic evidence that past Siam did indeed have slavery. People owning other people. Google it.

I may be wrong but I understand it that Rama V ended slavery.

I've not googled it (yet), nor taken the book off the shelf beside me, but if I recall correctly, Rama V banned the practice of "Temple Slavery" - where people could offer themselves or debtors/criminals/fugitives etc. could offer to become slave workers in a temple for X years and have the reason for their wanted status expunged. There was also the various categories of serfs and captives from bordering states who were given to the temples as slaves for the duration of their lives.

Slavery per se, as per the western understanding of it, ended before Rama V (again if I recall correctly) sometime around the early Rattanakosin period following the ousting of the Burmese from Lanna, Lan Chang, and Vietiane (all of which became Siamese territory) - instead of placing the captives in traditional slavery, they were kept peasant landworkers in serfdom, and eventually gained freeperson status.

I could be wrong on the dating, apologies if I am, there's no intent to mislead. But I post the above to show there's multiple types of slavery ingrained into recent Thai history, that has never really been repealled from the Thai psyche, especially in the elite classes.

Yes it is and hopefully it will be eradicated when the present Government is driven out and the RED SHIRTS are in control :ph34r:

cheesy.gif Dream on. Don't you mean the RED SHIRTS continuing to be out of controlburp.gif Time to go to bedjerk.gif

Don't worry about it, k.Thaksin will fix it when he gets back in power. With their vision for the future, by 2020 thais will be flocking to Cambodia, burma and Laos seeking better paying work to pay off their credit cards.

Yes it is and hopefully it will be eradicated when the present Government is driven out and the RED SHIRTS are in control :ph34r:

cheesy.gif Dream on. Don't you mean the RED SHIRTS continuing to be out of controlburp.gif Time to go to bedjerk.gif

Ya guess you've had to much to drink, and to answer your question no I mean when they start changing this country, with the help of Thaksin behind them, it's gone to hell since the army did their coup, illegally, and present day Government came into power, under the table, with the rest of the trash.:bah:

Once again the nation has done it. They suck you in with the title of hub of misery and then talk about human trafficking.

Why does TV post those obviously misleading articles? Do they not read 5tthem before they post them to check and see if they are really about whaty the title says?

There is more to misery than human trafficking. As some of the posters indicated the conditions here are better than where they come from for some of them. Also the conditions are worse for some of them.

I recently attended a meeting with a speaker from a organization which tries to help these people who are being trafficked. He said it was incredibly hard to free them and it was not uncommon for some of them to return to the situation they were just freed from.

People should remember that they are not leaving there countries because they are so happy there. Perhaps if people would go to visit these countries they might be a little bit more open minded. And I am not talking about the glitzy vacation oasis's or the modern cities. Get out in the villages where they fight every day for life.

As was pointed out Thailand can be the hub of human trafficking because of it's geographic location. But it pales in comparison to the US for human trafficking.

Any report from the American Government must be treated with a grain of salt. More illegal aliens cross into the the US daily than any country on earth. Maybe it is the tunnels, maybe it is the fish tacos/burritos, but some workers even commute weekly amigos. Thailand is a top second/bottom first world country. Adios.

Isn't misery a form of expression, and stress a form of suppression? I'll take a society any day that expresses itself, and lets it all hang out, rather than one that suppresses its misery into a ball of paranoid anxiety, road rage, insignificant lawsuits and a majority of cardiac-related deaths brought on by stress.

"Some of these owners are well-known personalities.":ph34r:

There's the problem, as usual these parasites continue to exploit the poor with little chance of any legal proceedings against them.

Operating with impunity.

Oh yes, yet another hub.:unsure:

"Hub of Misery" ?

Hub of Entertainment,

Phuket is AirAsia Thai hub ,

Health Tourism Hub of Asia,

Medical Hub of Asia,

Hub of organic produce,

Hub of creative and healthy food

Corruption Hub Of Asia

economic hub of ASEAN

Creativity Hub

Regional aviation hub

Transport Hub

Logistics Hub

Automotive hub

'Halal hub'

The Hub of Bridge - Phuket

Hub for counterfeit goods

Investment Hub

Education Hub...

Auto Export Hub

BIOPLASTICS HUB

Hub of thinking up hubs

:lol: Thailand is a beauty, isn't it? If there is a Hub needed, they'll find a way to be it.

It comes back to this...no matter where the lead comes from it leads to this....

"Two of the biggest problems remain issues related to corruption and weak law enforcement. As such, it is not surprising that those behind human smuggling from Burma, Cambodia and Laos, and the transit of human cargoes to foreign destinations near and far, continue to get away with their crimes over and over again. They must be punished and jailed."

Look at the current list of nominees in today's vote. Some of them belong in prison. But what the hell...there is no enforcement of mny sort from the police when corruption abounds, apart from where they stand to profit - trafficking can be another cash flow resource, just like government approved free reign on the drug trade.

The government who can rebuild the police force will move Thailand forward. Thai Rak Thai and Thaksin just filled the police force with their own and brought the rest. So with the clonies in Pheu Thai don't see no improvement there. Pinnochio if he gets another shot needs to make it his munber one priority.