Parents On Ed Visa, Does The Kid Need Ed Visa Too?

Small question.

Whole family is on B/O visas at the moment (which will expire in few weeks), and parents will move onto ED visas (Thai language school).

Kid is enrolled in an international school (starts in September).

Question is - are international schools able to provide an ED visa for a 4 years old student? Can his current O visa be extended/converted to ED visa at immigration office?

I am aware that kid can pretty much stay in Thailand for as long as he wants with current visa (there won't be overstay 'penalties' for him, since he's way below age of 15), but I would prefer to have a proper visa for him, since we'd like to travel abroad from time to time and would prefer not to apply for tourist visa for him, every time we go out.

I will be talking to school next week, but I just wanted to hear other peoples' experiences and see if it is common for kids to get an ED visa.

Thanks.

Yes, he can have it's own ED-visa if he is enrolled to a school. He will even get 1 year extensions of stay, where you will probably only get 90 day extensions.

Note that one of you can be a dependent of your child, and thus also can get 1 year extension of stay based on the child going to school. This requires 500,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand for that parent. (30 days the first time and 3 months every next extension).

Mario, just curious....

I understand that the child can get an extension based upon studying and one of the parents can get an extension based upon support of the child, but...

Would it be possible for the last parent to then piggyback onto the parent "providing support's" visa to get a one year extension?

Or

Could the remaining get a 1 yr Multiple entry visa from KL or other for reason of visiting their family in Thailand?

The other parent could get a visa based on visiting family, but a single or multiple would depend on where one applies. For an extension of stay only one parent is allowed as a dependent/guardian of the child and you can't be a dependent of someone who is a dependent.