Abhisit: It's Us Or Chaos

Lite Beer

Sounds like you choose your friends selectively, which is natural. But your story is anecdotal and much less credibility than even the various (over the years) admittedly unscientific polls showing expats don't prefer Thaksin/redshirts/Thaksin puppet parties.

Not surprised. I've met the Che Gueverra pipe dreamers in Pattaya too who buy the bunk that Thaksin is an AUTHENTIC populist and not an massively corrupt power/money driven dangerous character. I realize he plays a populist on tv but am amazed that any sophisticated westerner would even begin to buy his act.

I dont think he chooses his friends selectively at all. And if you think that the Poll that TVF put on is proof of all the expats you speak of, you have lost the plot. I think there are a lot more Forums and expats that have nothing to do with forums than the poll you suggest speaks for all.

does it matter. Most germans supported Hitler Most Iraqis supported Saddam most Libyans did support Gaddafi. Amount of support is not relevant as to weather someone or a party is good or even best for any country. As far as rats leaving a sinking ship. this is one rat that will leave sinking Thailand if Taksin and his thugs ever get back. Anyone who can support red thugs who tried to burn Bangkok and their megalomaniac master and does not see Taksin for what he is and think his sister is not just a proxy is very blind. Any country that elects a convicted criminal and elects in their top party list MP's who urged violence called for followers to burn down Bangkok dont are not ready for any form of democracy. So let them elect Taksin and please dont pretend its not obout him. They will get what they wanted which will be very bad or maybe worse when Army step in to save idiots from their own stupidity. Every person I know whos been here more than 7 or so years is totally opposed to Taksin and most who have only come over here in last 3-5 years support reds. And before someone says goodbye at least I and my family can leave and have the option to live in a country not totally run by a convicted criminal and his thugs. Reminds one greatly of Hitler and his brown shirts or pol pot and rest.

Letitbe. You want to take it easy, before you give yourself a coronary. :rolleyes:

dont worry ive already had 2 rolleyes.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be joking! It is ALL about Thaksin. Surely this last campaign has made that crystal clear to any naive people who bought the lies over the years that it wasn't.

I am not the only one who thinks this way. Do you watch the international press. Today on Al Jazeera concludes, this election essentially has become a referendum on THAKSIN. Yes, 100 percent spot on.

Al J. concludes that so it must be so?

Yes I read the International news but do you ever actually speak to the Thai people involved?

It would appear not or you may have a different opinion.

I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election. Only in the Press!

Its all about the other isuues that affect them and primarily the unpalatable prospect of the Dems again and whats behind and backing them.

They dont want that and thats what is going to push the PT into power,not the piffling matter of Thaksin and his 46 billion.

The votibg Thais all know about Thaksins corruption but simply dont care, and thats the fact of it.

Why do posters here assume that the local Thais are so stupid if they vote for the PT?

They're not!!! Its an insult to think that!

"I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election" So you are fully informed, intelligent PTP supporter - and yet you don't know the PTP motto, you don't know the surname of the party's PM candidate, or that she has stated that she is her brother's clone. Back under your bridge, troll!

The non sequitur is always alive and well in TV! Incorrect assumptions and points taken out of context.

I repeat my comment that the Thais I know in their discussions re the election do NOT focus or even discuss Thaksin ( his return or his 46b) but rather emphasise the social and economic issues which pervade this country.

Im perfectly aware of Thaksin, his sister and the PTP as you must surely know!

You must be joking! It is ALL about Thaksin. Surely this last campaign has made that crystal clear to any naive people who bought the lies over the years that it wasn't.

I am not the only one who thinks this way. Do you watch the international press. Today on Al Jazeera concludes, this election essentially has become a referendum on THAKSIN. Yes, 100 percent spot on.

Al J. concludes that so it must be so?

Yes I read the International news but do you ever actually speak to the Thai people involved?

It would appear not or you may have a different opinion.

I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election. Only in the Press!

Its all about the other isuues that affect them and primarily the unpalatable prospect of the Dems again and whats behind and backing them.

They dont want that and thats what is going to push the PT into power,not the piffling matter of Thaksin and his 46 billion.

The votibg Thais all know about Thaksins corruption but simply dont care, and thats the fact of it.

Why do posters here assume that the local Thais are so stupid if they vote for the PT?

They're not!!! Its an insult to think that!

"I never hear Thaksins name mentioned regarding this election" So you are fully informed, intelligent PTP supporter - and yet you don't know the PTP motto, you don't know the surname of the party's PM candidate, or that she has stated that she is her brother's clone. Back under your bridge, troll!

Last time I looked she had the same surname as her brother, my sister has the same surname as me .. wow what a surprise. As for being a clone it was lost in translation from "A chip off the old block".

I have seen posts here that say the Thais don't understand inflation.

How many rural folk do you think would be excited at hearing that if Pheu Thai forms government, they may get 1000 THB daily wage (3 or 4 times what they get now) in 9 years time? I think many.

Perhaps now is the time for some people to practice saying Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. The die is cast and the sun will rise.

A new era of properity and reconciliation will soon begin in Thailand.:D

May I suggest that some of you angry Thaksin haters invest in adult diapers before the election results are announced. Best to be prepared.

Edited by geriatrickid

Perhaps now is the time for some people to practice saying Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. The die is cast and the sun will ride.

Patience, patience, dear g'kid. It's only 00.07AM here in Thailand, voting still to start. The die has not been cast yet, nor has the sun come up. And then they say the young folks are impatient ;)

Perhaps now is the time for some people to practice saying Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. The die is cast and the sun will rise.

May I suggest that some of you angry Thaksin haters invest in adult diapers before the election results are announced. Best to be prepared.

I don't know how there will be any reconciliation from the PTP/UDD when they don't think they did anything wrong.

This reminds me of this post

May be we should warn dear member monkfish :lol:

I don't know how there will be any reconciliation from the PTP/UDD when they don't think they did anything wrong.

Pheu Thai will use the word "reconciliation" to mean amnesty for Thaksin.

The voters are not stupid.

Pheu Thai voters are.

There is a difference between being stupid and ignorant.

It is stupid to be ignorant.

Well, it would seem you are choosing to be a bit ignorant regarding general life, opportunities and education in the Northeast.

I believe the Pheu Thai party is not the right choice for Thailand but I am not going to be ignorant to the reasons why they have so much support.

I am also not going to be so ignorant to believe it will take at least a generation to see significant changes in the North when it comes to many things such as education.

One of the most ignorant things a person can do is to believe an entire group of people are stupid because they don't have the same views or understanding. For somebody who has the easy ability to research such topics, it would seem foolish to choose to be ignorant of their plight.

Pretty much any of the scenarios would make large factions angry. If there isn't a party winning an outright majority of seats, then any flash point could be delayed until a coalition was formed. Odds are neither party will win such a majority. However, if PT wins more seats but not a majority (most likely) there is certainly a potential that the redshirt will begin rioting right way (as is their custom) to demand that the coalition goes their way with violence, threats, and intimidation. Kind of like how Bush activists behaved in Florida 2000, but much more potential for violence.

Edited by Jingthing

Pheu Thai voters are.

There is a difference between being stupid and ignorant.

It is stupid to be ignorant.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.—Stephen Hawking

maybe your under this illusion...

A few inappropriate posts have been removed and the poster given a short holiday. Per current forum rules:

Please note that due to the high number of defamatory, abusive, insulting, trollish and inflammatory posts that a zero tolerance policy is being implemented until the election.

If you cannot refrain from posting slander, lies, rumors, defamation, insults, trolls or just posting to inflame other members then you will find your posting rights immediately suspended.

Please read the forum rules very carefully before posting as they will be strictly enforced in this forum.

http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

Monday will be a very interesting day!

If she wins, all hell is gonna break loose, Bet on that.

IMO:

If PTP form government, the "new-yellow" shirts will be out when the government start changing laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes - so, in a couple of months.

If the Democrats form government, initially there will be a lot of blustering by red shirt leaders, and before long, protest - so, in a couple of weeks.

Edited by whybother

Monday will be a very interesting day!

If she wins, all hell is gonna break loose, Bet on that.

Not based on a win, The likelihood of anyone getting 50+% is nil,

but based on her not getting coalition partners to create a government.

Yeah it will be bad.

Well, it would seem you are choosing to be a bit ignorant regarding general life, opportunities and education in the Northeast.

I believe the Pheu Thai party is not the right choice for Thailand but I am not going to be ignorant to the reasons why they have so much support.

I am also not going to be so ignorant to believe it will take at least a generation to see significant changes in the North when it comes to many things such as education.

One of the most ignorant things a person can do is to believe an entire group of people are stupid because they don't have the same views or understanding. For somebody who has the easy ability to research such topics, it would seem foolish to choose to be ignorant of their plight.

I'm not ignorant of their plight. I am aware of what is going on in the power structures of Thailand. Thaksin, with his hired team of lobbyists have been quite successful in harnessing the plight of the naive poor for his own goals (which is not democracy).

Pretty much any of the scenarios would make large factions angry. If there isn't a party winning an outright majority of seats, then any flash point could be delayed until a coalition was formed. Odds are neither party will win such a majority. However, if PT wins more seats but not a majority (most likely) there is certainly a potential that the redshirt will begin rioting right way (as is their custom) to demand that the coalition goes their way with violence, threats, and intimidation. Kind of like how Bush activists behaved in Florida 2000, but much more potential for violence.

and the custom of the yelow shirts when they did not win was to disrupt the travel plans of 350,000 people around the world by illegally occupying the airports. my freiend and family took 3 days to get home from Phuket including taxi from Phuket to BKK. think he will be cearing on the reds. Suthep has been just as bad a boy as Taskin.as for intimidation well if the yellows dont win the army will probably intervene again with their style of Democracy. if tanks anrent intimmidating what is

Edited by NALAK

and the custom of the yelow shirts when they did not win was to disrupt the travel plans of 350,000 people around the world by illegally occupying the airports. my freiend and family took 3 days to get home from Phuket including taxi from Phuket to BKK. think he will be cearing on the reds. Suthep has been just as bad a boy as Taskin.

It wasn't because they didn't win. They did that 12 months after the election. It was to stop the PPP government from changing laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

You not understand, do you?

Why democrats who was in power for decade did nothing before? why they just wake up now and say> "oh yes we care of everybody"? why they spend billions for army and useless material? why they put the free healthcare just now? why not before? why they take care of the eldery now? why not before? 2 years is sure not enough to educate people, especially when those people are now kids and will vote in 5 or 6 years? why the universities are so expensive for a good education?

Why trust someone who arrived in power after a coup and a government who was not elected? Just for this the thaksin supporters will vote for PTP...

Thaksin is much more clever in this game, he had the time to understand how to come in power, what the people want to hear...now the democrats just wake up...and did nothing before for them...so why choose them?

If you not understand populism you should see his western counterpart : Berlusconi, he is as bad as him and was elected and re elected.

More than that the other problem of thailand is the gap between wealthy and poors, this gap become wider and wider every year

So, after the Democrats did nothing for a decade, Thaksin comes along and does nothing for 5 years. And somehow that's different.

You're right. It's about popularism. Thaksin did nothing, but made it look like he was doing nothing. And they love him for it.

1 he brought in the 30 baht health scheme (saved father in laws life)

2 lent 1 million baht at very low interest rates to all villages

3 virtually took out the drug trade in Thailand

4 paid off Thailands world debt which is now back upto 70,000 baht per head in Thailand thanks to marks tactics.

5 took the country forwards in leaps and bounds thechnology wise.

brought low cost air travel to the masses.

is there any business that is doing better now than what it was under Thaskin, i doubt it.

formed stronger links with Thailands neighbours.

Pheu Thai voters are.

They know they were better off 5 years ago. That they had more money, more freedom, less poltical upheavel and a better economy.

What proportion of rural folk know about the global financial crisis and its effects on Thailand, and the world financial markets including the causes of oil price fluctuations and its effect on prices of goods? I think a lot of the simple rural folk don't even read or watch world news and simply blame the government for higher living costs when in reality the Thai government did not cause the global financial crisis nor do they have control over world oil prices.

so having a poor education should deny you the right to a democratic vote? i think any farmer or vehicle drivedr using oil based products knows all to well oil price fluctuations mean, they are buying it on a regular basis. and how would poor country folk watch world news and even if they could what difference does it make, i watch world news but it does not effect who i vote for in a national election. Pheu Thai voters can bring up a family on 4000 baht per month could the well educated thais or farnag, i doubt it that makes them smart in my book.

my freiend and family took 3 days to get home from Phuket including taxi from Phuket to BKK. think he will be cearing on the reds.

The reds protests affected me, as a resident of Bangkok, much greater than the yellows did when they did their airport thing, but that doesn't mean to say i suddenly started cheering for the yellows because of the what reds did.

1 he brought in the 30 baht health scheme (saved father in laws life)

2 lent 1 million baht at very low interest rates to all villages

3 virtually took out the drug trade in Thailand

4 paid off Thailands world debt which is now back upto 70,000 baht per head in Thailand thanks to marks tactics.

5 took the country forwards in leaps and bounds thechnology wise.

brought low cost air travel to the masses.

is there any business that is doing better now than what it was under Thaskin, i doubt it.

formed stronger links with Thailands neighbours.

1) but didn't fund the hospitals to provide the increased services they needed to provide.

2) allowing people to take loans for things they couldn't afford putting them into more debt.

3) in the process, killing 1400 people not involved in the drug trade and mostly just shifting the trade to others.

4) paid off loans to the IMF, taking new loans from other places. Also, doing this during a global economic boom, whereas Abhisit has had to deal with the GFC.

5) besides every country moving forward in relation to technology, most of Thaksin's improvements related to the telecommunications industry to benefit his company.

Given the change in the global economy from when Thaksin was in power to now, there are a lot that aren't.

He formed good relations with Burma by getting Thailand to give them a loan so they could by equipment from his company.

What did Thaksin have to do with low cost air travel?