Chemicals To Beat Turmites

Building a house, and the builders want to use wooden beams up in the roof support. I have normally seen C section used, I do admit it is 400m form the sea and all other building I have seen around us also have wood.

Went to Global and found 2 products to beat white ants,

Painted on wood, the active chemical is Bifenthrin, (one retail product also uses this underground)

Put into ground active chemical is Cypermethrin

Anyone have experience with these?

Do they work ?

June

Best to beat them at source, on the ground, it's too late by the time they get to the roof they've eaten everything else in the house.

Get a chamical reticulation system put in under ground and you can top it up with chemicals yourself.

You can also paint onto all wood surfaces (several coats) creosote. It's cheap and protects against all insects. Also, it is not toxic for you -- after it is in place. Actually, creosote has been suspected of being carcinogenic, so you should use gloves in application. But once in place, toxicity is not a worry. It has an oder, but you should not smell it from the attic. You can also paint over it to lock in the odor. It certainly does the job and once painted on, permanent.

• 3 weeks later...

On the advice of another member (Jaapfries) we got a quote from Advance Services Ltd for an in-ground termite eradication system. Look here AdvanceAsia URL removed (Trojan)

Quote was 30,174 Baht for a system covering 235m2 since our home will have lots of wood I reckon it's well worth the investment.

This is the documentation they sent us

termites.doc

in Thai but Google translate and the pictures give the idea.

Edited by Crossy

The reticulation system is pretty easy to do yourself.

What you have to pay attention to is openings in concrete slabs or walls where shrinkage can occur and let the little buggers in. There's a prduct called Termimesh that gets built in during construction that will block the shrinkage gaps.

AdvanceAsia URL removed (Trojan)

This site attempts to drop a trojan.

Do NOT visit it.

Thanks Darrel, I wondered where the Microsoft Security Essentials warning came from (had several windows open).

I've removed the link from all posts.

^worked OK for me, no virus alert received.

That could mean that your AV software isnt up to much. :unsure:

The alert that I got could have been a false positive, of course. But it seems that at least one other person got the same alert from different software.

You can also paint onto all wood surfaces (several coats) creosote. It's cheap and protects against all insects. Also, it is not toxic for you -- after it is in place. Actually, creosote has been suspected of being carcinogenic, so you should use gloves in application. But once in place, toxicity is not a worry. It has an oder, but you should not smell it from the attic. You can also paint over it to lock in the odor. It certainly does the job and once painted on, permanent.

Suggest you read through the MDSDS before using if you go that route:

http://gulfcoasttreated.com/PDF/MSDS_CREOSOTE.pdf