Right To Marry Help!

imjustagirl

My guy and i have been talking about marriage and i know the basic ins and outs of the legal situation (as western woman i dont need to produce savings evidence etc) However it seems that my hubby-to-be has to provide proof that he pays income tax. This is a problem as he earns only around 10k a month and falls below the income tax threshold.... Does this mean as he does not earn enough money that he is not allowed to marry me?? This seems a bit restricting to say the least! I have an income but that does not seem to apply towards anything....any help or suggestions...please!!!

There is not such requirement for marriage that I am aware of - only if apply for one year extension of stay is financial means a requirement. In the case of men it is 400k in bank account or 40k per month income. For women it is Thai husband who is expected to provide support but there is no 400k/40k requirement but perhaps tax payment proof would be required. You can still get marriage and use normal non immigrant O visa entry and perhaps extend for work or other reason if not meeting requirements of marriage extension of stay.

Lop is right, it seems you are confusing the visa extension with the marriage.

To get married you must go to your embassy and sign an affirmation that you are not already married. Get this translated and take it to the MFA so that you can get permission to marry. You then go to any amphur and get married.

To get a non O visa, simply show your Thai marriage license to the Embassy and they will issue you a 3 month non-o visa for marriage to a Thai national.

At the end of the three months you go to your local Immigration office and apply for an extension. I've posted the requirements before.

Your husband needs to pay the minimum income tax -- they don't ask to see the income you just have to pay tax. Tell him to go to his local amphur and declare the minimum and pay it. Do it now before you get married.

So we can get married....but unless he pays income tax then i cannot get a marriage visa, is that correct? I am currently over on a tourist multiple entry visa, when we marry can i convert to an o visa? If so what do i classify the o visa as? Thanks for your help :)

Lop is right, it seems you are confusing the visa extension with the marriage.

To get married you must go to your embassy and sign an affirmation that you are not already married. Get this translated and take it to the MFA so that you can get permission to marry. You then go to any amphur and get married.

To get a non O visa, simply show your Thai marriage license to the Embassy and they will issue you a 3 month non-o visa for marriage to a Thai national.

At the end of the three months you go to your local Immigration office and apply for an extension. I've posted the requirements before.

Your husband needs to pay the minimum income tax -- they don't ask to see the income you just have to pay tax. Tell him to go to his local amphur and declare the minimum and pay it. Do it now before you get married.

Thanks sbk, i will get him to do that! Thanks for all your help :)

There is no such thing as a marriage visa but a non immigrant O visa can be issued to those who are married to a Thai. That can be single entry for 90 days or multi entry for one year of up to 90 day stays. Either can then be extended by Immigration during last 30 days or an entry if meeting there requirements (where the tax payment comes in). Once you meet the extension of stay requirement even a tourist visa entry can be converted by Immigration to allow extension of stay (extra 2,000 baht fee).

A foreigner who wishes to marry in Thailand, must state their income on the embassy letter, but there is no minimum requirement for marriage.

The visa and extension of stay are something else and answered above.

So let me confirm your a foriner wishing to marry a thai person yes?

1. this is what you do as i am going through it currently, first you need to get a certificate of marriage statas , single, devoeced, widow etc,,, from your embassy in Bangkok.

2. copy of passport

3. come too thai embassy translate theas documents too thai langauge aprox 300 bhat per document

4. go too third floor in thai embassy they will give you a number and you wait all day to get your documents stamped that they are correct.

5. if you go before 12:00 pm you can get express at aprox 800 bhat per document but after 12:00 pm you will get your papers in 3 days and it, 400 bhat per document

6. about your boy friend , he needs copy his ID card and copy cencus record or residence record, your papers and his together and go too ampur and say you want to get married, come back too embassy with your papers to get your papers stamped correct but not translate becouse are thai already ok.

7. go too another country and you get a non o visa 3 months, then show all your papers and then before three months get a one year visa that way you do not have to leave the country every three months just contact thai imigration anywhere in thailand and show your adress,,,

8. as soonas you get your 3 month visa open a thai bank account you need to show 400,000 bhat for three months.

hope this was some help too you if you have any questions my wife and i will be happy to answer them if we can cheers;-)

Much of the information above is wrong.

3. Any official translation service can be used. There is no Thai Embassy in Thailand - you take document for registration at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Legalization Office on Chiang Watanna. But you can have translation service do this for you.

6. There is no requirement to return paperwork to MFA after marriage. If you want a legal document (some countries) you would translate into your language with copy and have that registered but it is not a Thai requirement.

7. There is no need to visit a foreign country. You can immediately extend any stay for 60 days and once conditions for extension of stay are met you can convert to the required non immigrant visa entry for 2,000 baht.

8. A woman does not have to show 400k. And for a man it is two months; not three.

well yes i did mean the MFA correct, but also i'm go through this at the moment and i stay visa non"o" then it changes to a one year visa so then i do not need to fly out of thailand evert 3 month's i only need to contact imgration poilce, , my wife and I are married both thai culture and leagle marrige that is why i can stay without doing boarder runs,,, and yes we had to do all this to get my visa,,, maybe as the rules change continally there is reason for no confusion with ares and requierments??? as we have seen some many times, i can only give the info that we have been directed to by imigration ans australian embassy in Bkk.

Much of the information above is wro

3. Any official translation service can be used. There is no Thai Embassy in Thailand - you take document for registration at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Legalization Office on Chiang Watanna. But you can have translation service do this for you.

6. There is no requirement to return paperwork to MFA after marriage. If you want a legal document (some countries) you would translate into your language with copy and have that registered but it is not a Thai requirement.

7. There is no need to visit a foreign country. You can immediately extend any stay for 60 days and once conditions for extension of stay are met you can convert to the required non immigrant visa entry for 2,000 baht.

8. A woman does not have to show 400k. And for a man it is two months; not three.

also i am as i wright this here i have the booklet of "Extention of temerary stay in the kingdom of Thailand" "Issued by immigration Burreau Royal thai police," it is printed in Thai and english, Page 23 list of requierments and what i have writern is what is printed in the booklet it may change somewhat as i am a man married too a thai woman, but I really do not see any reason it would be diferent for a falang woman to marry a thai man???i guess maybe because the woman is "not" yet married the requiements may be diferent?

well yes i did mean the MFA correct, but also i'm go through this at the moment and i stay visa non"o" then it changes to a one year visa so then i do not need to fly out of thailand evert 3 month's i only need to contact imgration poilce, , my wife and I are married both thai culture and leagle marrige that is why i can stay without doing boarder runs,,, and yes we had to do all this to get my visa,,, maybe as the rules change continally there is reason for no confusion with ares and requierments??? as we have seen some many times, i can only give the info that we have been directed to by imigration ans australian embassy in Bkk.

Much of the information above is wro

The legal requirements for extensions of stay are contained in Police Order 777/2551 and there is no financial requirements for a woman married to a Thai man. For those with a Thai Wife the below is the requirement:

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

aussieinthailand you are a man maried to a Thai woman and have no idea what is required by a Falang woman married to a Thai man.It is not the same requirements so please stop putting your two bobs worth in as it is only confusing the situation for poor imjustagirl. There is no requirement for the Thai husband to put forward any documentation regarding income etc.or your(the falang wife) income for that matter.They are not interested.They are however interested in whether or not you are a "couple" and at your seperate interviews at the Immigration will ask you questions like "when was the last time you made love", "how did you come here to this interview-together or seperately"and so on.

My appoergies, i was under the impression that a woman and a man are equale, therefore have the same rights,,, I guess the longer i'm here the more i can see western and eastern cultures meet, Please forgive my tresspass, as i only wish to help another ok, as for my 2 bob's worth, wow i've not heard that since i was a boy, so i'm guessinyour an older person or just relate to the frase?, have a great day guy's n gal's ;-)

aussieinthailand you are a man maried to a Thai woman and have no idea what is required by a Falang woman married to a Thai man.It is not the same requirements so please stop putting your two bobs worth in as it is only confusing the situation for poor imjustagirl. There is no requirement for the Thai husband to put forward any documentation regarding income etc.or your(the falang wife) income for that matter.They are not interested.They are however interested in whether or not you are a "couple" and at your seperate interviews at the Immigration will ask you questions like "when was the last time you made love", "how did you come here to this interview-together or seperately"and so on.

aussieinthailand having been married to the same Thai bloke for 20 years (and him being the best husband in the world I must say) I am very pleased at the way it turns out for western/falang girls married to Thai nationals.We -as outsiders-are still under scrutiny believe you me( maybe thats another old phrase you havn't heard for a while) we still have to undergo strict rules and regulations amongst them reporting every 90 days , undergoing seperate interviews etc etc.Maybe I was just born lucky or maybe I made it happen but my life is just great being married to a Thai and having the word Luck as part of my (Thai) surname may just be the icing on the cake .Now back to imjustagirl....

last year I received a yearly extension of stay based on marriage without proof of income tax.

for the life of me, I can't remember providing any evidence of me paying income tax as well to have my wife's visa extended.

We needed it for the citizenship application (+ a minimum income of 15,000baht/month) but not for a bog standard extension of stay.

We needed it when we applied for the very first extension back in 1992 and needed to show it for many years after that. Maybe its no longer on the listed docs, I don't know, but we take it anyway. And if you hope to apply for citizenship some day it is required as you point out.

Marriage ledger was new last year and most annoying since we aren't on the computer we have to get it from the office where we got married. Not a hassle but the girl in Samui didn't check so sent him off to Phangan for it saying it was on the computer and we could get it later (computers were down that day).

last year I received a yearly extension of stay based on marriage without proof of income tax.

for the life of me, I can't remember providing any evidence of me paying income tax as well to have my wife's visa extended.

We needed it for the citizenship application (+ a minimum income of 15,000baht/month) but not for a bog standard extension of stay.

Chaeng Wattana doesn't require hubby's income info for an extension at the moment. We were there 4 weeks ago, they gave hubby a list in Thai of the documents needed, no financials among them. But perhaps some of the regional offices have different rules.

• 2 weeks later...

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Edited by PoorSucker

This thread is about a Thai man with a foreign wife PS.

Correct, just pointing out that there is no rule for foreign ladies to have money or income to get the extension.

The rules states "marriage with a Thai lady" and the "husband who is an alien".