Pheu Thai Party Secures Clear Majority In General Election: Election Commission

webfact

What's with all the talk of Bangkok elite vs. working class talk?

Look at a map of electoral votes. It's regional. PT didn't win a single seat in the South.

Are people going to argue that all Southerners are part of the Bangkok elite?

The only surprises are that the parties of Barnharn and Newin lost a couple of seats.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So PAD's no campaign gets 5% of the vote, with who knows how many that didn't bother voting because of it. Maybe they'll get a cabinet seat for making a PTP majority possible :lol:

Sorry I couldn't get on earlier - my password wasn't working.

What a pleasure to read all the comments which seem to forget what all the Expat dreamers were really believing - with their head in the sand - that Taksin won't be coming back. You are typical Bangkok folk (23 out of the 33 seats up for grabs going to an elitist party called democrats - which they are not really) - a bunch of realatively wealthy folk who appreciate the easy life and the domestic help - get so frustrated when they go "up-country" (almost a dirty word in the city) and don't come back to their well paid ThB 7000 per month jobs. Folk who can't think for one moment why these "dumb" maids and gardeners and under-paid factory and fish farm workers voted Red.

At least there are others like me who have seen this coming since that night in September 2006 - when the TVs suddenly switched to an empty desk with a flag behind it while we waited to hear we were being rescued from evil. Folk like me who knew things were wrong: when you occupy an International airport and don't even get a slap on the wrist; can't beleive their ears when a person who won a majority is banned from politics for appearing on a cooking programme; when people who didn't win an election end up as the PM; when snipers "execute" people in front of TV cameras.

For us the day a smart lady with a lovely smile wins an OUTRIGHT VICTORY - we know that the people of Thailand have taken their country back from a bunch of elitists and thieves.

Well done all the common folk - the victory is yours - and if you want to pressurise this establishment to forgive someone and return the money stolen from him - then go ahead and DEMAND IT - this is again your Government.

Was that an attempt at humour, or do you like to post untruths? Are 2/3 of the people in BKK elitist rich, middle class, or simply working stiffs on B7,000/month, but well enough informed to vote for responsible management?

Are the yellow shirts not facing court? Could you believe your ears when Samak was proved to be a liar under oath (much like the new PM) in a court of law - that was why he was dismissed, and why he was not re-appointed you'll have to ask his criminal boss. Do you have proof who assassinated Seh Daeng (which wasn't in front of any cameras!)?

Yingluk has a lovely smile, but it would be nice if she had some political experience. even some business experience outside of a "family" company where everyone has to kiss her RRs, and nobody is game to point out her mistakes - assuming the "President" of a company makes any decisions. Did you notice the position was abandoned as she left?

Yes, they have a victory, but by making unforfilable promises. I would love to see Yingluk announce that her brother is being repaid, and then try to explain why there isn't enough in the kitty to give them what she promised. Be funny having the red-shirts back in BKK protesting PTPs failures, wouldn't it?

The problem is that with a large voting bloc of uninformed voters if you don't pander to their desires you don't get elected, so responsible management has to be abandoned to stay/get in to power. The result inevitably will be disaster. Maybe you have the ability to leave when it happens, the Thais will have to learn the hard way.

Ozmick, you severely underestimate the political will of the Thai voters.

I know for the past three years, there has been nothing but discussion at village level, at the markets, at the local bar, at the wat, about the political scene in Thailand.

The people had a glimpse of democracy under Thaksin.

He actually listened to them.

This something unique in Thai politics.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back. They have been waiting for this day since the coup.

They knew exactly what they were doing when they voted for PT.

Good on them, well done everyone.

Let's see if the losers can take it on the chin like our political parties must do from time to time, that's what democracy is all about.

First of all, congratulations to PTP for their - not entirely unexpected - victory. Even if they don't like it, all sides concerned should respect the election outcome. Especially the Democrats can now prove that they indeed deserve the label "democratic" by being a constructive opposition and not crying foul at avery suitable and unsuitable instance, which would put them on par with what the redshirts have been doing.

While it is more than likely that Yingluck will become Thailand's first female prime minister, she first will have to be elected by parliament to assume that post. And here she faces a problem with the many factions within her own party.

Her brother has reportedly already taken steps by ordering all PTP MPs-to-be to sign resignation letters, which will come into effect if they fail to vote for Yingluck. There is the remote possibility that he has (once again) shot himself in the foot with such a potentially back-firing move.

There is the question whether it is actually legal to have people sign such resignation letters, which is nothing short of bullying and perhaps even blackmailing. If so, and if the measure is decided by a court to be illegal, then PTP may face dissolution. I am sure that certain parties are scrambling for such a posibility.

On the other hand, if in all unlikelihood certain faction members decided to vote against Yingluck as PM, their resignations would come into effect. Besides losing their party membership they'd also automatically lose their MP status. That could considerably diminish the simple majority PTP holds so far and open the door for the Democrats to form a coalition government with a slim majority.

The story is not over yet, mark my words.

What a pleasure to read all the comments which seem to forget what all the Expat dreamers were really believing - with their head in the sand - that Taksin won't be coming back. You are typical Bangkok folk (23 out of the 33 seats up for grabs going to an elitist party called democrats - which they are not really) - a bunch of realatively wealthy folk who appreciate the easy life and the domestic help - get so frustrated when they go "up-country" (almost a dirty word in the city) and don't come back to their well paid ThB 7000 per month jobs. Folk who can't think for one moment why these "dumb" maids and gardeners and under-paid factory and fish farm workers voted Red.

At least there are others like me who have seen this coming since that night in September 2006 - when the TVs suddenly switched to an empty desk with a flag behind it while we waited to hear we were being rescued from evil. Folk like me who knew things were wrong: when you occupy an International airport and don't even get a slap on the wrist; can't beleive their ears when a person who won a majority is banned from politics for appearing on a cooking programme; when people who didn't win an election end up as the PM; when snipers "execute" people in front of TV cameras.

For us the day a smart lady with a lovely smile wins an OUTRIGHT VICTORY - we know that the people of Thailand have taken their country back from a bunch of elitists and thieves.

Well done all the common folk - the victory is yours - and if you want to pressurise this establishment to forgive someone and return the money stolen from him - then go ahead and DEMAND IT - this is again your Government.

Was that an attempt at humour, or do you like to post untruths? Are 2/3 of the people in BKK elitist rich, middle class, or simply working stiffs on B7,000/month, but well enough informed to vote for responsible management?

Are the yellow shirts not facing court? Could you believe your ears when Samak was proved to be a liar under oath (much like the new PM) in a court of law - that was why he was dismissed, and why he was not re-appointed you'll have to ask his criminal boss. Do you have proof who assassinated Seh Daeng (which wasn't in front of any cameras!)?

Yingluk has a lovely smile, but it would be nice if she had some political experience. even some business experience outside of a "family" company where everyone has to kiss her RRs, and nobody is game to point out her mistakes - assuming the "President" of a company makes any decisions. Did you notice the position was abandoned as she left?

Yes, they have a victory, but by making unforfilable promises. I would love to see Yingluk announce that her brother is being repaid, and then try to explain why there isn't enough in the kitty to give them what she promised. Be funny having the red-shirts back in BKK protesting PTPs failures, wouldn't it?

The problem is that with a large voting bloc of uninformed voters if you don't pander to their desires you don't get elected, so responsible management has to be abandoned to stay/get in to power. The result inevitably will be disaster. Maybe you have the ability to leave when it happens, the Thais will have to learn the hard way.

I know for the past three years, there has been nothing but discussion at village level, at the markets, at the local bar, at the wat, about the political scene in Thailand.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back. They have been waiting for this day since the coup.

Let's see if the losers can take it on the chin like our political parties must do from time to time, that's what democracy is all about.

I get up north quite regularly, and actually join in these discussions, at least with family. Many of Thaksin's shenanigan's and crimes are completely unknown to them (and I'm not sure they believe me!), they are fed agi-prop about the Democrats coming to power and simply don't understand that the biggest party doesn't necessarily form the govt.

More to the point, they are willing to take the bribes (both cash and promises) because they are poor, and won't look at the bigger picture. A politician who is willing to offer sums way above his salary is going to be a crook, the rice industry needs a serious overhaul, and there simply isn't enough money to keep giving handouts. They knew exactly what they were doing, and it will come back and bite them.

And by the way, IMHO the glimpse of democracy was illusory. If the coup had not happened, Mr T was well on his way to dictatorship. He just timed it wrong. Pity they hadn't shot the mongrel.

I get up north quite regularly, and actually join in these discussions, at least with family. Many of Thaksin's shenanigan's and crimes are completely unknown to them (and I'm not sure they believe me!), they are fed agi-prop about the Democrats coming to power and simply don't understand that the biggest party doesn't necessarily form the govt.

More to the point, they are willing to take the bribes (both cash and promises) because they are poor, and won't look at the bigger picture. A politician who is willing to offer sums way above his salary is going to be a crook, the rice industry needs a serious overhaul, and there simply isn't enough money to keep giving handouts. They knew exactly what they were doing, and it will come back and bite them.

And by the way, IMHO the glimpse of democracy was illusory. If the coup had not happened, Mr T was well on his way to dictatorship. He just timed it wrong. Pity they hadn't shot the mongrel.

Any more words of wisdom for the people up north. What a laugh. Do you know what part of the country you are in.:whistling:

Thatcher. Now there was someone following order (as all PMs do).

She instigated what the business leaders wanted.

Maybe that is the only thing similar. Someone in the background was really pulling the strings.

The new Thai PM is nothing like Thatcher.

So when will Thailand privatize everything and allow foreigners to buy into Thailand?

Thatcher robbed from the poor and helped the rich.

The rich and elite loved her.

The Thai PM - the rich and elite hate her.

Thatcher - there will be street parties in some places in the UK when she finally pops her clogs.

The reason PT seeks coalition partners is that they want a government with a majority of voters behind them and not just a majority of seats. In a 1 man constituency system the margin is often large. It is not that much separating the PT seats from PT actuall votes, but look at Bangkok where close to 50% of the votes only got 30% of the seats. Thats the true weakness of 1-man-constituency system.

Actually, if you look at the nation as a whole:

(last I looked)

PTP - 265 seats - 13 million votes

Dems - 159 seats - 10 million votes

The problem with a "first past the post" system is that the winner might only get 20% of the vote. So a government might get a clear majority of seats but only 30-40% of the actual vote.

I like the system in Australia where they use preferential voting. The candidate with the least votes gets dropped and everyone who voted for them gets their second preference. Candidates keep getting dropped until someone gets greater than 50% of the preference votes.

Any more words of wisdom for the people up north. What a laugh. Do you know what part of the country you are in.:whistling:

Strange as it may seem, they asked for my opinion and I actually have one younger member of the family who agrees with me, . But like me, he keeps his opinion in the family. Si Song Kram if you must know - let me guess, another brainwash from CMX?:(

It was a very very well executed campaign by one party...

Agreed, the genuine strenght of this "venture", was since day one, proper PR and targeted party campaining that will not miss the electorates perception!

Well done, no question and right bulss eye, absolut majority with one hit, which makes it difficult to believe and casts some doubts about the legitimacy of the whole "operation" but well, yes, let's see what the future will hold.... Central Banks Foreign Reserves "investing" in Gold, Oil and Diamondmines in Africa rings a certain bell and recalls the idea of purchasing Liverpool Football Club with Taxpayers money....lucky that didn't happen.... cranking up the GDP from US$ 300 to US$ 800 billion in 10 years sounds very ambitiuos too, maybe some lost cash can be retrieved in this way... well, we will see, the unfolding of this show will be watched very closely!

Someone must hold a grudge or two .... and is likely to be more resentful then anyone is able to imagine, well let's see.. when the "war on drugs" will be revived.

Guess we are going to see some very entertaining stunts soon!

Edited by Samuian

Maybe that is the only thing similar. Someone in the background was really pulling the strings.

So when will Thailand privatize everything and allow foreigners to buy into Thailand?

Thatcher - there will be street parties in some places in the UK when she finally pops her clogs.

I will be one having a party but Thatcher won elections based on getting large numbers of working class people to vote conservative instead of Labour, and she was good at it. That is what gave her the majorities

Edit: anyway back on topic. PTP have huge business backers and their shares are rising today, while the shares of businesses seen as anti are more static. Business backers of a party always see a return when in power and in Thailand all parties are business linked. There isnt a socialist or peoples party in Thailand.

Edited by hammered

Well Tin table tiplers

Its showdown time and Mr T will finish off one of the things he started which getting rid of you lot

Remember his famous slogan

Thais dont need foreign help, Thais can help themselves

and for you teflers specifically

Thais dont need foreigners to teach english, thais can teach themselves

They will simply double the income requirements for yearly visas, easy isnt it? :bah:

Watch this space

One post in unusually large fonts has been removed. There is no need to shout.

The removal of the post was due to using larger than normal font or the comment not suitable? Curious to know what the comment was about that he has to shout and get removed.

One post in unusually large fonts has been removed. There is no need to shout.

The removal of the post was due to using larger than normal font or the comment not suitable? Curious to know what the comment was about that he has to shout and get removed.

A habitual offender of the largest font usage.

Mmmm typic coal miner view of Thatcherism - ignoring the terrible position she inherrited from Labour and the incredible ecconomy she handed over some 17 years later - seems there is little real difference between the Thai masses that believe anything pouring out of a loud speaker mounted on a songtaew and similarly politcally educated Brits! As Thatcher is not Thai, and this is a Thai forum, and this post is hardly about Birtish politics, I will not elobarate further, but it may help your blinkered view of history if you did some reading on facts rather than regurgitating Murdoch madness.

They also completely underestimated how much PT was willing to financially throw at the election (banners, signage, legal stuff of course)

Yes of course, THAT is the only reason PT won an outright majority against more than a dozen other parties: and so THAT explains why almost every pro-Yellow pundit here on ThaiVisa forums has been shown to be completely and utterly wrong in their predictions.

I knew there would be some reason. After all, five hundred pissed-up viagra-fed farang pensioners can't be wrong, can they?

That's funny!

Ha! "That's army", watch out they are all around!

I very much doubt he will take it out on Brits living here. There were so many countries that revoked his Visa, including the USA, he hardly had his pick of countries to choose from to live in.

I even seriously doubt he will return and if he does, there will probably be an executioner waiting for him.

It is obvious from the beginning that Yingluck is going to win this election; as a matter of fact she cannot fail.

This is a vote of the classes not so much by political persuasion and as the working classes are the majority in Thailand, well, you can work this out for yourselves.

The so-called elite that require the backing of the military to stay in power, held out as long as possible before going up for election. If they would have dragged their feet any longer, then Thailand would have been viewed internationally as a stratocracy and not as a democracy, the image that Thailand wants to portray of it`s self for many reasons.

Yinluck is a puppet for her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra and sooner rather than later, she will manipulate the law so as her long lost brother is able to return to Thailand, with all old differences forgotten and with a fresh start to his political career. Just like the quote made by Arnold Schwarzenegger from the movie, The Terminator, I'll Be Back and I always knew he would be. But this will inevitably enrage the opposition and civil war maybe imminent.

Whether you like Thaksin or not, this could be bad news for those living here whose countries revoked Thaksin`s visa when he was a bad guy, master criminal, an enemy of the Thai people and fugitive on the run, especially Britain. Remember his quote? The British will pay for how they treated me.

Like the title of the Fred Astaire song; I can see trouble ahead.

Indeed the British were very helpful, they tipped him off and let him go abroad first, rather than return him to Thailand. He still has a very nice palatial country home and estate in Surrey, right next to a golf course.

Apart from the Maggie Thatcher bit that went a bit over the top I think @bobmac10 analysis of why the Red's Pheu Thai Party won is spot on... I have mainly Yellow friends and they don't much care for the village/country people, Northerners, the poor city rabble or those folks concerns and conditions. For the Thai elite to govern without the unqualified support of the army and an autocratic ambivalance towards the poor they will need to embrace their concerns.

I fully understand that my Yellow friends (and many members here) feel that Thaksin merely panders to the poor Reds (with handouts not real solutions to their problems) to advance his own ends at the expense of Thai society on a whole (and by any means necessary) and that his corruption is worse for Thailand than their capitalist disinterest for the poor (e.g. which is suggestive of a pull yourselves up by your bootstraps - harsh medicine approach to their economic development) but it is clear that under a democracy the Yellows will have to adopt some limited measures to advance the cause of the Reds... perhaps better "public" schooling, sanitation, infrastructure and regional economic development plans would be a start?

Let's not forget that this government too can be thrown out by the courts as has happened in the past... So maybe Abhisit shouldn't resign just yet ;-)

that should not happen again, we need some semblance of peace, so we can enjoy what the LOS has to offer...

I haven't checked up on this (too lazy in my old age) but surely only someone who has not yet been committed of a crime can be given an amnesty against crimes they may have perpetrated, or have been generally acknowledged as being party to the crimes carried out due to conclusive or over-riding evidence pointing to that fact.

As Thaksin was found guilty by the courts then surely he cannot claim amnesty on something that he fled the country for (in order to avoid having to carry out his sentence of 2 years imprisonment) and is living in exile on account of this!!

I would imagine that only a pardon (from the king) would excuse him of serving his sentence (given in abstentia) and that no law could (or would be allowed) to be passed relieving him of his crimes. That in itself would make it a travesty of justice and in itself would demean the powers of the courts of the land.

Any ready made explanations on how such a law could be brought into being that could get Thaksin off the hook, because I can't think of a legal way to do it????

With the power thaksin has now he can have a law passed giving the PM the ability to pardon criminals convicted or not.

The reason PT seeks coalition partners is that they want a government with a majority of voters behind them and not just a majority of seats. In a 1 man constituency system the margin is often large. It is not that much separating the PT seats from PT actuall votes, but look at Bangkok where close to 50% of the votes only got 30% of the seats. Thats the true weakness of 1-man-constituency system.

Actually, if you look at the nation as a whole:

(last I looked)

PTP - 265 seats - 13 million votes

Dems - 159 seats - 10 million votes

The problem with a "first past the post" system is that the winner might only get 20% of the vote. So a government might get a clear majority of seats but only 30-40% of the actual vote.

I like the system in Australia where they use preferential voting. The candidate with the least votes gets dropped and everyone who voted for them gets their second preference. Candidates keep getting dropped until someone gets greater than 50% of the preference votes.

with 40 parties running it is theoretically possible to win all 500 seats with less than 3% of the vote but some people would still be claiming the majority voted for that party and they have a clear mandate because they won all 500 seats.

I haven't checked up on this (too lazy in my old age) but surely only someone who has not yet been committed of a crime can be given an amnesty against crimes they may have perpetrated, or have been generally acknowledged as being party to the crimes carried out due to conclusive or over-riding evidence pointing to that fact.

As Thaksin was found guilty by the courts then surely he cannot claim amnesty on something that he fled the country for (in order to avoid having to carry out his sentence of 2 years imprisonment) and is living in exile on account of this!!

I would imagine that only a pardon (from the king) would excuse him of serving his sentence (given in abstentia) and that no law could (or would be allowed) to be passed relieving him of his crimes. That in itself would make it a travesty of justice and in itself would demean the powers of the courts of the land.

Any ready made explanations on how such a law could be brought into being that could get Thaksin off the hook, because I can't think of a legal way to do it????

NO

Amnesty can be given for all things and were given To president Nixon in the USA for crimes he was never taken to court for.

Thailand is the same.

Apart from the Maggie Thatcher bit that went a bit over the top I think @bobmac10 analysis of why the Red's Pheu Thai Party won is spot on... I have mainly Yellow friends and they don't much care for the village/country people, Northerners, the poor city rabble or those folks concerns and conditions. For the Thai elite to govern without the unqualified support of the army and an autocratic ambivalance towards the poor they will need to embrace their concerns.

I fully understand that my Yellow friends (and many members here) feel that Thaksin merely panders to the poor Reds (with handouts not real solutions to their problems) to advance his own ends at the expense of Thai society on a whole (and by any means necessary) and that his corruption is worse for Thailand than their capitalist disinterest for the poor (e.g. which is suggestive of a pull yourselves up by your bootstraps - harsh medicine approach to their economic development) but it is clear that under a democracy the Yellows will have to adopt some limited measures to advance the cause of the Reds... perhaps better "public" schooling, sanitation, infrastructure and regional economic development plans would be a start?

Very balanced post! Breath of fresh air.

NO

Amnesty can be given for all things and were given To president Nixon in the USA for crimes he was never taken to court for.

Thailand is the same.

The US and Thailand are quite a bit different.

They main difference is that in the US, the president gives the pardon (as Ford did to Nixon).

In Thailand, the King gives the pardon. A pardon can't be granted by parliament or the PM.

Let's not forget that this government too can be thrown out by the courts as has happened in the past... So maybe Abhisit shouldn't resign just yet ;-)

when the Thai-Visa-Forum has made the survey, i thought, it was not really a good idea, to ask political questions. we farangs are guests in Thailand and have to accept everything, what Thailand decides. we should avoid to commend political developments. it makes just bad blood. in Thailand everything is changing in a short time.

Well Tin table tiplers

Its showdown time and Mr T will finish off one of the things he started which getting rid of you lot

They will simply double the income requirements for yearly visas, easy isnt it? :bah:

Watch this space

and i for one will love that and watch with glee all those forang red and Taksin supporters face fall biggrin.gif wont bother me to have to show 130,000 a month or 2 million in bank or whatever since I spend 200,000 a month here anyway - please please do it now and ill really laugh at all forang buffalo here

Well Tin table tiplers

Watch this space

and i for one will love that and watch with glee all those forang red and Taksin supporters face fall biggrin.gif wont bother me to have to show 130,000 a month or 2 million in bank or whatever since I spend 200,000 a month here anyway - please please do it now and ill really laugh at all forang buffalo here

What an unpleasant fellow you are