Outgoing Thai PM Abhisit Resigns As Party Leader

webfact

Great opportunity for Yingluck to show her statesmanship, appoint Abhisit to represent Thailand on the Foreign stage in some way, an honest man with integrity and wanting only the best for his country.

CEO of Thailand Elite Card Co.? :rolleyes:

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Abhisit had integrity, even if sadly many of those around him did not, and those who opposed him had even less. Could have been a great leader for Thailand but he was born 100 years before his time as 500 baht in anyone's back pocket demonstrates.

I give Abhisit credit for letting the people decide which way they wanted to go, and furthermore stepping down so gracefully. He said what he was going to do and kept his word. A man of his word is quite rare in these parts. Samak the cooking show guy spoke English quite well, he just lied through his teeth when he did.

It just goes to show how many 'stupid' poor can be bought for 500 baht........... That is how he has become revered as 'royalty' by so many, 500 baht and empty promises - like a computer for every student..... but for 500 baht they will make excuses for him (and his 'proxy' sister)....................

All the good honest people in Thailand get rejected. its just the dumb way it has always been. :blink:

Now, that is a statement! Can you tell me who are the honest people? The rich or the poor, any idea?

I am talking about honest politicians, even though as rare as hens teeth they have existed exuding the people around them one of my favorites was :

Anand Panyarachun a nicer person you could not find. :jap:

If nothing else, he looked and sounded good when interviewed by international press. That chap with his own cooking show couldn't even grunt in English

What country do you think this is?Just to inform you, this country is called Thailand .Its National language is Thai. That means there is no demand that to hold political office in this country or any other country where English is not the national language ,, you must be fluent in English.

That is why I stated 'international press'. Have IQs dropped since the weekend?

No,.. they were always that low!

I give Abhisit credit for letting the people decide which way they wanted to go, and furthermore stepping down so gracefully. He said what he was going to do and kept his word. A man of his word is quite rare in these parts. Samak the cooking show guy spoke English quite well, he just lied through his teeth when he did.

He should have stepped down last year, nothing graceful about people dying.

It will be interesting to see what the Dems go for. There will be the usual fight between their southerners and Bangkokians for the big post. It is difficult to choose a Bangkokian again and try to move away from the link to BKK establishment too. A northerner or Isaaner would be interesting but the few of those they have had have generally been crushed in the power struggle between southern and bangkok democrats and lacked a power base in the party to resist it since Sanan/Pradit days and of course since TRT took Laddawan and Yuth etc when established. Maybe a central region selection is the best they can hope for in extending away from traditional heartlands if the bangkok and southern machinary in the party will accept it.

"As the Democrat Party leader during the election, we won fewer seats than in the previous election, so I think as a good leader I should take responsibility by resigning."

He never had a mandate! Not one but. Military backing was his only mandate - and Abhisit should never ever have been in power.

Now, at last, justice has been done and PTP/red shirts are back in power: exactly what the majority of the people want. And for those who point to the burning of Bangkok last year: never forget that injustice through non-democratic methods (as we saw in Thailand many years ago with Suchinda, and in many other countries across the world since) can bring a powerful backlash.

This post is the only right one, it seems many of the posters do not know he was never elected.....

Tell us one, only one thing this PM did good for the people, rich, poor, investors.... nothing as only his hobby, hunting the only one who was democratic elected.

"As the Democrat Party leader during the election, we won fewer seats than in the previous election, so I think as a good leader I should take responsibility by resigning."

He never had a mandate! Not one but. Military backing was his only mandate - and Abhisit should never ever have been in power.

Now, at last, justice has been done and PTP/red shirts are back in power: exactly what the majority of the people want. And for those who point to the burning of Bangkok last year: never forget that injustice through non-democratic methods (as we saw in Thailand many years ago with Suchinda, and in many other countries across the world since) can bring a powerful backlash.

Ok, so now that we've had a democratic election only a year later (and it could have been sooner if Reds had accepted Abhisit's offer) and the Pheua Thai are back in power can you explain why blocking Rajprasong for two months and burning down Central World and the other acts of arson were justified? Abhisit was never the tyrant that the Red Shirts portrayed him as. Like it or not, the Democrats DID win enough seats in the last election to allow them to form a coalition government under the rules of parliamentary procedure, so he DID have a mandate, just not a very strong one.

Even in this election, something like 38% of the people voted for his party compared to 44% for the Reds. I just hope the party that represents the 44% don't trod all over the 38%. And, contrary to popular opinion, those 38% are not all "the elites" by a long stretch.

Abhisit resigns as Democrat leader

BANGKOK, 4 July 2011 (NNT) – Mr Abhisit Vejjajiva has announced his resignation as leader of the Democrat Party after the number of MP seats taken by his party in this election is lower than the one in the 2007 general election.

At a press conference at the party’s headquarters, Mr Abhisit announced his resignation, stating that he must show responsibility for the performance of his party in this election by resigning as promised earlier.

The outgoing prime minister added that a general assembly of his party will be arranged within 90 days to select a new party leader. He then thanked all party members, supporters and party officials for their support as well as promised to work hard as good party member and MP.

Mr Abhisit showed up at the press briefing amid a group of his supporters who were weeping as he announced his resignation. Asked what he would do if he was voted to take the helm of the party once again, he refused to give comments and left the room.

Potential candidates to the post of Democrat Party leader are outgoing Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij, former Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin as well as former Prime Minister and incumbent Democrat Chief Advisor Chuan Leekpai.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-07-04 footer_n.gif

Great opportunity for Yingluck to show her statesmanship, appoint Abhisit to represent Thailand on the Foreign stage in some way, an honest man with integrity and wanting only the best for his country.

Couldn't agree more. I've always thought that Abhisit was the right man at the wrong time for Thailand.

He would be an excellent foreign ambassador for Thailand and would also give the impression that the political divide here has made a positive step forward.

Edited by CockneyGit

This post is the only right one, it seems many of the posters do not know he was never elected.....

Tell us one, only one thing this PM did good for the people, rich, poor, investors.... nothing as only his hobby, hunting the only one who was democratic elected.

This might come as a surprise to all the people in his constituency that voted for him! Look, if you don't like the system of parliamentary democracy, what do you suggest?

Suthep has been uncharacteristically quiet for a big occasion.

Any sightings?

He is an old hand in politics adjusting to his new reality of being in opposition and seeing power within his own party maybe change hands. He also must take some responsibility for the election defeat

If nothing else, he looked and sounded good when interviewed by international press. That chap with his own cooking show couldn't even grunt in English

What country do you think this is?Just to inform you, this country is called Thailand .Its National language is Thai. That means there is no demand that to hold political office in this country or any other country where English is not the national language ,, you must be fluent in English.

That is why I stated 'international press'. Have IQs dropped since the weekend?

They are all drunk on the money that they were paid for their votes.

Leading a country does mean dealing on the international stage. Nobody is denying the fact that this is Thailand and who gives a fat rats clack about other countries but it is a job that requires some language skills. Abhisit certainly has them as does Mr Texas T, who must be packing up all his suitcases of cash to come back and distribute it to the masses.

"But it is a job that requires some language skills" Hahaha, You really think the PM in your home country speaks more than one language fluent , please don't think English is awesome....

The right thing to do. If renominated, he should make it clear he wont accept. The country needs an opposition as well as a government and Abhisit is a divisive character who will distract from the job an opposition has to do.

It is a good early test of whether the democrats can start to move forward. The old way will be to renominate and reelect and stay still. The modern way will be to thank him, accept he has gone and chose a new leader to rebuild the party

Frankly I think it stinks to high heaven that the guy is considered "divisive" considering the lengths taken to avoid bloodshed (city under siege for two months - where else in the world would that be allowed to happen!?!?). He is nothing more than the victim of an extremely well funded hate campaign, and as much as I can sympathise with any decision to stay out of politics for the rest of his life, the decision will send a clear message to anybody who attempts to oppose Thaksin's political machine in the future.

Sad days.

Maybe true but you cant have a n opposition that has everything it raises ignored by millions who just see him that way. Reality. Modern politics is as much about PR, marketing and sounditing and meme creation as it is about anything related to "substance", maybe more so.

"Modern Politics" Than i like saying military intelligence. I have lived in many places in the world and this ain't modern.

The right thing to do. If renominated, he should make it clear he wont accept. The country needs an opposition as well as a government and Abhisit is a divisive character who will distract from the job an opposition has to do.

It is a good early test of whether the democrats can start to move forward. The old way will be to renominate and reelect and stay still. The modern way will be to thank him, accept he has gone and chose a new leader to rebuild the party

Frankly I think it stinks to high heaven that the guy is considered "divisive" considering the lengths taken to avoid bloodshed (city under siege for two months - where else in the world would that be allowed to happen!?!?). He is nothing more than the victim of an extremely well funded hate campaign, and as much as I can sympathise with any decision to stay out of politics for the rest of his life, the decision will send a clear message to anybody who attempts to oppose Thaksin's political machine in the future.

Sad days.

Well said.

Hammered was obviousley not here for the show. It did not matter who the PM was the same situation would have arose. What the poster does not understand is the devisive figure was Thaksin and now that he is in there will be no more devisive personalities. He will crush them.

Hopefully, the main divisive character will also stay out of view as well.

I don't see what the debate is about. Abhisit was brilliant to the international press and in that sense a great ambassador for Thailand. BUT the majority of the Thai people have spoken and there is to be a new government. However they perform and however they are seen on the world stage, it is the Thai people who need to approve and be satisfied. In most political situations where voting is concerned you tend to get what you deserve.

Wake up, your living in a dream. Regardless of your country this world is an international stage. I'm all for giving the winners a chance to prove themselves. I just don't agree with the way they said they are going to do it. Hopefully I'm wrong as it would cause me to relocate. Just like the stock market.

"But it is a job that requires some language skills" Hahaha, You really think the PM in your home country speaks more than one language fluent , please don't think English is awesome....

The previous Aus PM spoke fluent Mandarin.

He should have stepped down last year, nothing graceful about people dying.

Do you know that the deaths came after Abhisit's offer for early elections was rejected by the Red Shirt leaders? (after agreeing at first and changing their mind, on live TV, after receiving a mysterious SMS)

In any case those deaths were necessary to feed Thaksin's political campaign, if you want to know who is responsible for them look at who benefited the most out of it.

Edited by AleG

Suthep has been uncharacteristically quiet for a big occasion.

Any sightings?

He is an old hand in politics adjusting to his new reality of being in opposition and seeing power within his own party maybe change hands. He also must take some responsibility for the election defeat

Probably more so than Abhisit.