Outgoing Thai PM Abhisit Resigns As Party Leader

webfact

Pretty speaker especially in English - and I liked him because I don't speak enough Thai. But I'm not Thai - I'm a guest in this lovely country and the PEOPLE have spoken. So I must support an earlier member - Good Riddance.

If, like someone argued above - he was a real statesman and an honourable man - he should have called an election earlier and the Reds could have won it - (like they have done now) Instead of being stubbon and intrangient - which in the end resulted bloodshed and extra judical killings which have made this great country look like a banana republic. Without that we would already be well on the way to full reconcilliation and development. The troubles could have been avoided - people were angry because their vote for the Government of their choice was subverted - by court rulings (banning a guy who appered on a cooking program - really) and allies crossing the floor to join a group of people who occupied an International airport and got away scot free. I can tell you that little incident moved more airlines to hubs in Malayasia and Singapore than the occupation of a down town junction.

So bye bye Abhesit - I don't think there are going to be too many folk crying about your departure - remember you only really deserve what you WIN not what you grab or steal.

Just thought about that last comment - There are some folk crying for you but unfortunately they all seem to be expats on a very right wing site - who don't count politically because they don't have a vote - they like me should just be glad to be living here and be prepared to accept that the majority of the electorate have spoken and that they are sensible and reasonable citizens - and that they voted Red because they want someone they appreciate to come home.

2 threads with the same garbage. Please read the other and be a little better informed.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else, he looked and sounded good when interviewed by international press. That chap with his own cooking show couldn't even grunt in English

Ex-PM Samak Suntaravej died a couple of years back. Let him Rest in Peace. Please.

"As the Democrat Party leader during the election, we won fewer seats than in the previous election, so I think as a good leader I should take responsibility by resigning."

He never had a mandate! Not one but. Military backing was his only mandate - and Abhisit should never ever have been in power.

Now, at last, justice has been done and PTP/red shirts are back in power: exactly what the majority of the people want. And for those who point to the burning of Bangkok last year: never forget that injustice through non-democratic methods (as we saw in Thailand many years ago with Suchinda, and in many other countries across the world since) can bring a powerful backlash.

This post is the only right one, it seems many of the posters do not know he was never elected.....

Tell us one, only one thing this PM did good for the people, rich, poor, investors.... nothing as only his hobby, hunting the only one who was democratic elected.

How about keep the economy strong here in general while a hell of a lot of others have suffered big time!!

Pretty speaker especially in English - and I liked him because I don't speak enough Thai. But I'm not Thai - I'm a guest in this lovely country and the PEOPLE have spoken. So I must support an earlier member - Good Riddance.

If, like someone argued above - he was a real statesman and an honourable man - he should have called an election earlier and the Reds could have won it - (like they have done now) Instead of being stubbon and intrangient - which in the end resulted bloodshed and extra judical killings which have made this great country look like a banana republic. Without that we would already be well on the way to full reconcilliation and development. The troubles could have been avoided - people were angry because their vote for the Government of their choice was subverted - by court rulings (banning a guy who appered on a cooking program - really) and allies crossing the floor to join a group of people who occupied an International airport and got away scot free. I can tell you that little incident moved more airlines to hubs in Malayasia and Singapore than the occupation of a down town junction.

So bye bye Abhesit - I don't think there are going to be too many folk crying about your departure - remember you only really deserve what you WIN not what you grab or steal.

Just thought about that last comment - There are some folk crying for you but unfortunately they all seem to be expats on a very right wing site - who don't count politically because they don't have a vote - they like me should just be glad to be living here and be prepared to accept that the majority of the electorate have spoken and that they are sensible and reasonable citizens - and that they voted Red because they want someone they appreciate to come home.

Most of this is total bs. Of course we, as visitors, are entitled to our opinions. We just don't get to vote so it has no bearing on the outcome. There's absolutely no reason you need to support the outcome unless you are opposed to the Dems. all by your self.

dry.gif

I hope that he reconsiders and re-nominates. Sooner or later, (probably sooner) there is going to be a mighty crash here, and the country will need a good leader.

His major problem is the false accusations of responsibility for the deaths in BKK, accusations that will be hard to shake. Anybody who believes they are true, please let us know what you would have done in his place - after all, the one and only demand was for elections which he agreed to BEFORE any major bloodshed occurred.

I would also lie to hear from those claiming that Thaksin was falsely accused. Please point out where the indictment was wrong.

With a large voting bloc of poor and uneducated people, poor because they are working in an industry unviable in its present state, who are prepared to vote for a party willing to prop up that industry with increasingly outrageous promises, a crash is inevitable. Those advocating responsible govt and refusing to pander to the masses desire will not get into power. And when the crash comes, it is the poorest who will be hurt the most. This may get very very ugly.

Edited by OzMick

And now let's see who claim the knives in the man's back. Which one of the shrinking violet cabinet ministers that left former PM Abhisit to swing in the wind will lay claim to one of the knives so that he may go on to claim leadership of the opposition.

With former PM Abhisit removed, the Democrats will descend into name calling and infighting.

Everyone that was supposed to be behind -- left him.

He should go and join the opposition as he is a good politician. Just the people beind him were not so good.

No one man can be an island especially in this case when an election is being fought against a backdrop of unbeatable demographics and vote buying. Only a drastic move against social and economic inequality along with improvements in educational opportunities will enable a level playing field. In those circumstances the Democratic Party may return to power.

Abhisit is the best but perhaps too good for Thailand's waring politics.

With the ballots cast we shall soon see that crime pays.

"As the Democrat Party leader during the election, we won fewer seats than in the previous election, so I think as a good leader I should take responsibility by resigning."

He never had a mandate! Not one but. Military backing was his only mandate - and Abhisit should never ever have been in power.

Now, at last, justice has been done and PTP/red shirts are back in power: exactly what the majority of the people want. And for those who point to the burning of Bangkok last year: never forget that injustice through non-democratic methods (as we saw in Thailand many years ago with Suchinda, and in many other countries across the world since) can bring a powerful backlash.

This post is the only right one, it seems many of the posters do not know he was never elected.....

Tell us one, only one thing this PM did good for the people, rich, poor, investors.... nothing as only his hobby, hunting the only one who was democratic elected.

This might come as a surprise to all the people in his constituency that voted for him! Look, if you don't like the system of parliamentary democracy, what do you suggest?

Of course Abhisit was elected. How absurd to think otherwise... apparently not everyone understands the parliamentary system. Yingluck was not elected to be PM, and it is conceivable that she will not become one. Her party won a majority, she won a seat, and her party MPs will select the PM -- usually (but not always) the majority party leader. One has to assume that as Mr T's "clone" (his words), she is the most likely choice for PM. ###

I hope that he reconsiders and re-nominates. Sooner or later, (probably sooner) there is going to be a mighty crash here, and the country will need a good leader.

His major problem is the false accusations of responsibility for the deaths in BKK, accusations that will be hard to shake. Anybody who believes they are true, please let us know what you would have done in his place - after all, the one and only demand was for elections which he agreed to BEFORE any major bloodshed occurred.

I would also lie to hear from those claiming that Thaksin was falsely accused. Please point out where the indictment was wrong.

With a large voting bloc of poor and uneducated people, poor because they are working in an industry unviable in its present state, who are prepared to vote for a party willing to prop up that industry with increasingly outrageous promises, a crash is inevitable. Those advocating responsible govt and refusing to pander to the masses desire will not get into power. And when the crash comes, it is the poorest who will be hurt the most. This may get very very ugly.

OzMick, get over it, you are like a broken record trying to get an answer for things that have been hashed out here for months. The Democrats lost, get over it. :blink:

LOL ya he talked out of one side of his mouth and said something (in reality) different out of the other side.

And when you open your mouth to speak, big frogs jump out. Better to keep it closed.

What we have to look forward to:

Comment from lead-red-economist Suchart last week in BP regarding the budget and how they planned to fund all these election promises -

BKKPost Rep: 'When would Pheu Thai be able to set a balanced budget?'

Suchart TT: 'A balanced budget? Let's not talk about that. What's the point?'.....and then.....'.yeehaww!'....or something to that affect, he didn't but should have attempted to holler....

If there's a replacement, let's hope for Korn. One of the most switched-on finance ministers we're had here for a long time - and pretty good with the foreign investment community, too. Fluent English speaker and one of the more trusted Dems.

You may say what you want but one thing is certain... Abhisit is already a 'damaged goods'.

If he can't win this election even with the backing of the not-so-invisible hand of a general, then what chance would he have to lead his party in the distance future?Next!!!

Edited by hands22

A dead man cannot defend himself. Show him a little bit of respect.

Tell that to Thaksin, and to the UDD leaders who used the deaths of over 90 people in their monthly rallies (even one time snatching the bodies from hospital and parading them on stage) in their goal of grabbing power. They should have treated the dead with some respect.

Edited by hyperdimension

He served his country well.

He was lucky he got to be PM considering his party is / was consistently outpolled (in large numbers) by the opposition.

He didn't start the madness of March-to-May 2010 but under his watch it was ended (as it needed to be).

Economically, Thailand became just about the fastest growing country in the world under his leadership. It's currency stregthened versus the US dollar by 30% (or more), construction, tourism, and manufacturing are booming and there's basically a job in this country for anyone who wants one.

That, my friends, is a record you can tell your grandchildren about.

Edited by jackdawson

Poor people who can't afford health insurance, get sick and die without it. Crooked or not, he took care or the people

Undoubtedly, he did the best he could with a pigs ear of a coalition.

I reckon there is room for him and Korn to go off and make their own party. What holds them back is the old guard in the Democrat party who don't give too hoots to try and make a nationally popular social democrat party. Maybe his name is too tarnished by Rajprasong.

I just imagine the image of him standing up there on his own trying to explain policies like increasing the minimum wage, with Suthep mouthing behind him "Its never going to happen". They only came up with these policies to counter PTP, and it really didn't sit well acting in that manner.

It isn't that his policies weren't decent, it is that they really didn't fit with the image of the Democrats. They have been around a long time, and their sphere of influence largely ends at Bangkok. There was a really good discussion on Asianews network last night, and it was a recurring theme as to why it has come about that it appears that the Dems have given up trying to become a national party.

Their powerbase is the South, and the politicians down there are just as tribal as the reds in their strongholds. Someone really needs to give the Dems a big shake up and be brave enough to start trying to create a believable and consistent national policy. Not just one thought up to counter PTP.

He did what he could, which when you consider trying to balance the army and BJT and then try to counter PTP was way too much to ask. It was a coalition created in smoke filled rooms that really didn't represent anything more than closed door horse trading to come up with a quick solution to counter Thaksin. He was politically doomed from the start of his term.

Yingluck ran a tight campaign, Abhisit a lack luster one, he seemed to anticipate defeat, I think he was getting the message from both the army and higher up that he was on his own. He may even have been told to throw the fight, I think deals have been made which only indirectly involve politics.

The Democrats went running to Japan and borrowed loads and loads of cash and started spend spend spend.

As they always do.

Last time they got the country in such a bad way TRT and Thaksin had to come to power and bail the country out with good fiscal management, to eliminate the debts.

HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THAT !

Nothing different this time, borrow and spend, borrow and spend is all they have done.

They were lucky as Asia has boomed while Europe and the USA suffer and capital has been flowing into Asian countries looking for more returns and less risk, so the damage they have done is largely hidden under a general Asia boom.

Undoubtedly, he did the best he could with a pigs ear of a coalition.

I reckon there is room for him and Korn to go off and make their own party. What holds them back is the old guard in the Democrat party who don't give too hoots to try and make a nationally popular social democrat party. Maybe his name is too tarnished by Rajprasong.

I just imagine the image of him standing up there on his own trying to explain policies like increasing the minimum wage, with Suthep mouthing behind him "Its never going to happen". They only came up with these policies to counter PTP, and it really didn't sit well acting in that manner.

It isn't that his policies weren't decent, it is that they really didn't fit with the image of the Democrats. They have been around a long time, and their sphere of influence largely ends at Bangkok. There was a really good discussion on Asianews network last night, and it was a recurring theme as to why it has come about that it appears that the Dems have given up trying to become a national party.

Their powerbase is the South, and the politicians down there are just as tribal as the reds in their strongholds. Someone really needs to give the Dems a big shake up and be brave enough to start trying to create a believable and consistent national policy. Not just one thought up to counter PTP.

He did what he could, which when you consider trying to balance the army and BJT and then try to counter PTP was way too much to ask. It was a coalition created in smoke filled rooms that really didn't represent anything more than closed door horse trading to come up with a quick solution to counter Thaksin. He was politically doomed from the start of his term.

Interesting when consdering that Thailand as it develops now needs a second national and large party. PTP is looking here to stay and for the sake of democracy a counter is needed. One critical question is can the democrat party become this or not. Right now that looks unilkely but then again back in the orange revolution days who would have thought Yanokovich would have a few years later taken power with what was felt to be a regional backing.

Having said that the Dems need to move forward and not just rely on PTP falling apart or making mistakes. Right now the Dems are utterly inept at modern Thai political campaigns. Their campaign managers and PR people (if theyhave any) need to be fired pronto and the whole party machine put under a new younger more savvy bunch of hands, and that is just for the style stuff.

Yingluck ran a tight campaign, Abhisit a lack luster one, he seemed to anticipate defeat, I think he was getting the message from both the army and higher up that he was on his own. He may even have been told to throw the fight, I think deals have been made which only indirectly involve politics.

No, the Thai people have voted TRT to power, TRT to power, TRT to power, PPP to power, PTP to power.

Its got nothing to do with being told to lose - they always lose now as everyone hates their corrupt puppet masters.

Every excuse under the sun will come out for the apologists to the invisible hand BUT the Thai people choose Thaksin and his party - that is democracy and until the invisible hand starts meddling again that is way it will be.