Etihad Airways To London

I'm looking to make a booking for August with Etihad, return BKK - London. They have good prices for that month, compared to other airlines Bt32k, the stop over is only 90 minutes, so it all looks good.

From what I can recall they are a good airline, but I have never flown with them and on a long haul flight so I need to be sure before I weigh in with Bt92k. I will have my fiancee and a 2 year old with me. A screen on the back of the seat infront of you is important for me too.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have only flown them in Business class and they were OK I would say 6/10. I prefer Emirates and according to Skytrax the reviews for Emirates are better than Etihad. Reading those reviews it seems Etihad has slipped in recent years, the favourite carrier seems to be Qatar.

If the airlines were all doing identical trips between the UK and Thailand this would be my order of priority (have flown with them all on the route in the last 3 years, but the Mid East preferences are based on experience of mostly a year or more ago, so others' comments about Emirates and Etihad slipping may be true for all I know):

Emirates

Qatar

Etihad

British Airways

Eva

Gulf Air

Quantas

Thai

Not tried (on this route):

Kingfisher

Jet

Air India

Oman

China Airlines

Air Asia

KLM/Lufthansa/SAS/Finnair/Austrian/Air France

Anything Russian

We all have our favourites and the inconsequential is often elevated to demon or celebrity status in support of our preferences. In reality you'll be fine on any in the first part of my list (except Thai if you want in-flight-entertainment) and probably the others are mostly ok too. I buy pretty much solely on price and schedule convenience nowadays and suspend my annoyance over trivialities!

technical delays do happen with them, 50% of my flights with them (2 out of 4) were delayed for several hours and I have missed a connection. Boarding plane takes time, as they do bus passengers, instead of parking at the terminal.

yes, they do have personal screens

My advice would be to book with them. I've flown several times economy with Etihad and find them acceptable.

However if you can find a flight with Royal Jordanian I would say they were better but the long stopover on the route to London might not suit even though a hotel room is provided. Probably an un necessary nuisance from your point of view.

Etihad are fine and have seat back TV's and decent enough service in Economy...seating is just OK.

I've been in the business class lounge with ettihat (Abu Dhabi), emirates (Dubai) and qatar (Doha) and based upon those experiences I'd say qatar all the way...excellent arab mezze buffet (my favorite with fresh arab bread) and nice wines...and you feel refreshed before boarding the plane for the leg to the UK...Dubai is the worst...Abu Dhabi is middlin'; anyone that has been in the airport there knows what I mean, heaving mobs of unwashed humanity, etc...

I've been in the business class lounge with ettihat (Abu Dhabi), emirates (Dubai) and qatar (Doha) and based upon those experiences I'd say qatar all the way...excellent arab mezze buffet (my favorite with fresh arab bread) and nice wines...and you feel refreshed before boarding the plane for the leg to the UK...Dubai is the worst...Abu Dhabi is middlin'; anyone that has been in the airport there knows what I mean, heaving mobs of unwashed humanity, etc...

Amman economy offers a hotel for a few hours....free breakfast Arabic mezze style excellent hummus and tabbouleh...salads decent breads etc...poor coffee though unfortunately...but then it is free!

There's even a swimming pool to enjoy for a few hours.....(and a separate kids pool)

I just flew (early June) Dublin to BKK via Abu Dhabi with Etihad and have no complaints at all. IFE is good and food is fine for airplane food. Cabin crew could be more attentive, but getting up to get a drink is probably a good idea (stretch the legs).

I'll be using them again for my next trip.

Have flown with the likes of Emirates and have never been impressed. If you don't mind going via india I would take a look at jetairways.com and flykingfisher.com the cheapest way to book is usually through a company called makemytrip.com

My first choice would be BA, have recently flown with Malaysia who where OK, have flown with the Indians- again OK. After emirates I would never fly with them again- 5 star service in 1st class, NOT in economy

goodluck

I have flown this route on Etihad, very good airline, as good as Emirates or Singapore Airlines, I think they were voted World's best airline a few years ago ???

32K is a very good price, I need to go BKK-LDN-BKK in Sep and surprised that their prices then are more expensive at 40k

I thought Sep would have been cheaper than Aug, as school hols are over

I would go ahead and book at that price, world class airline and great price

Check out Srilankan. 33k economy; 55k business.Service, food etc very good especially in business.

The only downside is if you are not flexible with your times/dates you might get several hour layover in Colombo. Flexibility can get this down to 2 or 3 hours.

technical delays do happen with them, 50% of my flights with them (2 out of 4) were delayed for several hours and I have missed a connection. Boarding plane takes time, as they do bus passengers, instead of parking at the terminal.

yes, they do have personal screens

I have flown with them from BKK to LHR. in cattle class. They do have a screen and a power point for every seat, if that is important to you. Food and service were OK. On the down side is the low baggage allowance - it was only 23kg when I used them last December.

I will use them again if I am traveling alone as the baggage allowance is OK for me.

Egypt Air offer great prices as well.

Flew with Etihad last month, came back yesterday. No problems at all, just a bit cramped, the 3-4-3 on the 777/300

was not really that bad, but still a little cramped for space. The flight from AUH to LHR was perfect, the staff

all attentive and food was great on all legs.

I have used Emirates before just to Dubai, and was not overly impressed by them. Flew Qatar from FFM to BKK and

was very impressed, service was great and the food too.

For prices I would look at these:

Egyptair

Etihad

Qatar

I have flown this route on Etihad, very good airline, as good as Emirates or Singapore Airlines, I think they were voted World's best airline a few years ago ???

32K is a very good price, I need to go BKK-LDN-BKK in Sep and surprised that their prices then are more expensive at 40k

I thought Sep would have been cheaper than Aug, as school hols are over

I would go ahead and book at that price, world class airline and great price

Why would you pay 32K when the actual price in august stated on their website is 26490bt incl taxes.

Flew LHR to BKK via Abu Dhabi with them last November. The 1st 3 legs of the flight were fine, I'd say one of the best economy airlines I've flown with, but on the final leg the cabin was freezing. I had no warm clothing with me, I'd planned just to grab some from my bag when I arrived in London. Spent the whole journey huddled in my blanket best I could. Complained to a stewardess and she said she'd look into it, but things didn't get any warmer.

the transit lounge is a bit hot and dry. i wanted to go outside for freshair but the immigration officer wouldn't let me. i think i was just being silly. anyway the transit area is very interesting with mosaic walled surrounding like your in a sophia with an added dome roof

My advice would be to book with them. I've flown several times economy with Etihad and find them acceptable.

However if you can find a flight with Royal Jordanian I would say they were better but the long stopover on the route to London might not suit even though a hotel room is provided. Probably an un necessary nuisance from your point of view.

Etihad are fine and have seat back TV's and decent enough service in Economy...seating is just OK.

hotel room? please explain further as i have an 8 hr lay-over on my return in november and not heard mention of this. ty

hotel room? please explain further as i have an 8 hr lay-over on my return in november and not heard mention of this. ty

When you leave the plane in Amman go to the transit desk and they will give you a transit visa. Go through immigration and exit the airport. There will be a bus waiting outside to take you to the hotel.

You will spend 4-5 hours there with free breakfast buffet provided. Recommend you bring some swimming gear in your hand luggage....enjoy! smile.gif

When you leave the plane in Amman go to the transit desk and they will give you a transit visa. Go through immigration and exit the airport. There will be a bus waiting outside to take you to the hotel.

You will spend 4-5 hours there with free breakfast buffet provided. Recommend you bring some swimming gear in your hand luggage....enjoy! smile.gif

result !

cheers

I live in Dubai, Etihad are fine, have seat back TVs (also important to me). Emirates have been getting slated for a fair while, planes looking a bit tatty but think they have no planes now on long haul routes (those double-decker ones). Qatar Air are decent enough. Steer well clear of Gulf Air, utterly hopeless and a history of awful service

Keep well away from all arab airlines which stop in the middle east.

They have a zero tolerance policy for drugs.

Remember the poor passenger caught with poppy seeds from a bun

he bought at London Heathrow. He is still in prison.

There are other stories of other checks made on transit passengers, especially Jordanian Airlines.

If possible always travel non stop BKK to LHR and back.

Thai airways will always be the best but they are the most expensive.

I booked Aeroflot BKK to LHR with a stop in Moscow one way for 300 pounds.

Used Travelcenter on the internet despite some bad stories of fraud one year before.

You are protected if using a credit card and all went well.

Some recommend Air India with a stop in Delhi but after some nightmare experiences in the past with Air India

I think best avoided. They are cheap at 300 pounds return and always fully booked.

Since the Aeroflot flight was overbooked I was bumped to Thai Air.

An old aircraft without screens on the backs of the seats

with many empty seats. A very nice journey. Well looked after as only Thais can do. It must have been overpriced.

We got stacked on arrival over the London eye and went round and round and round again.

Never book a return from BKK to LHR. There is little demand and prices are high.

LHR to BKK I recommend EVA airlines who fly to Taiwan with a popular stop in BKK.

The downside is the crowded departure lounge at LHR, is arguably the worst airport in the world.

One way at short notice was 480 pounds. For an extra 50 pounds that becomes a return but only for a 2 week stay.

I was lucky and get bumped again from economy to elite, which has extra leg room.

Flying Ah Don't you just love it.

There are other stories of other checks made on transit passengers, especially Jordanian Airlines.

Used Travelcenter on the internet despite some bad stories of fraud one year before.

Some recommend Air India with a stop in Delhi but after some nightmare experiences in the past with Air India

I think best avoided. They are cheap at 300 pounds return and always fully booked.

with many empty seats. A very nice journey. Well looked after as only Thais can do. It must have been overpriced.

We got stacked on arrival over the London eye and went round and round and round again.

Never book a return from BKK to LHR. There is little demand and prices are high.

LHR to BKK I recommend EVA airlines who fly to Taiwan with a popular stop in BKK.

The downside is the crowded departure lounge at LHR, is arguably the worst airport in the world.

One way at short notice was 480 pounds. For an extra 50 pounds that becomes a return but only for a 2 week stay.

I was lucky and get bumped again from economy to elite, which has extra leg room.

Could you elaborate on that please Jobsworth. My teenage son and I need to fly BKK to Barcelona return in October with a 5 or 6 day stopover in London and I'm wondering what are my best options.

We're thinking of BKK to LHR return, then UK to Barcelona return. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Edited by sangfroid

Leaving adisde the content for a second could you please try to post in a form which makes it a bit easier to read? Proper sentences and paragraphs are generally appreciated. Ta.

I agree on the direct flights which are a bit more expensive. Thai however is archaic without even seat back TV's. EVA are a better option.

I have flown all of the middle eastern carriers over the years and never had any issue at all. Mostly scaremongering there my friend. Some of us prefer to have a stopover and stretch our legs.