Best Indian Food In Phuket?

Jowels

Funny you mention the Kashmir in Laguna entrance not using an tandoori oven, 2 doors down is the Indiana which is run by the Indian chef who worked at Kashmir, and he has a tandoori oven as I've been in his kitchen and seen it being used.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you mention the Kashmir in Laguna entrance not using an tandoori oven, 2 doors down is the Indiana which is run by the Indian chef who worked at Kashmir, and he has a tandoori oven as I've been in his kitchen and seen it being used.

Raju the owner of Indiana was kashmir's Chef yes. Does he have a Tandoor Oven,

WELL you've seen it you say.......must have some sort of Cloaking device.

A Tandoor oven (an Average size One) is about 1.5M x 1.5m x 1.5M. If you have seen anything like this in his kitchen I must be going blind cause i was there 5 days ago. He had a charcoal oven but certainly NOT a Tandoor Oven. There is a difference. The food taste will let you know the difference......BUT certainly better than a 'grilled' tandoori chicken like in the Kashmir.... :o

A Tandoor oven (an Average size One) is about 1.5M x 1.5m x 1.5M. If you have seen anything like this in his kitchen I must be going blind cause i was there 5 days ago. He had a charcoal oven but certainly NOT a Tandoor Oven. There is a difference. The food taste will let you know the difference......BUT certainly better than a 'grilled' tandoori chicken like in the Kashmir.... :o

Ok fella, will check out his oven next time I'm up there. By the way you say he only has a charcoal oven, how is a tandoor oven powered?

Ok fella, will check out his oven next time I'm up there. By the way you say he only has a charcoal oven, how is a tandoor oven heated?

Must appoligise, raju does have a tandoor oven..... :o BUT a very small one. Its an open ended homemade oven. Tandoor Ovens are powered / heated by charcoal. There was an earlier posting I had made about ovens.

kashmir next door seems to be going in the direction of getting a Tandoor so hopefull the food improves, especially after the new chef settles in.

In terms of spices a quick trip to Kuala Lumpar should be enough to offset the cost there.

I can buy a bag of green cardamom, carraway, black cumin, bay leafs, onion seeds or fenugreek for around 20 baht each. Turmeric and all the other ground spices are avialble for as little as 5-10 baht a pack there.

For me a good Indian restaurant is all about the breads, I always order 1 of each type (must annoy the chefs a little) but I love the textures. In around 15 years of eating Indian food, I have never eaten it with rice.

In regards to the Tandoor, I have often thought about making one myself - Would be interested to know if restaurant owners buy or get them custom made.

Yap., rotis and nans are better than rice as far as ndian food is concerned. Yeah Kl has got lots of indian stuff for real cheap. What about Penang?

In terms of spices a quick trip to Kuala Lumpar should be enough to offset the cost there.

I can buy a bag of green cardamom, carraway, black cumin, bay leafs, onion seeds or fenugreek for around 20 baht each.  Turmeric and all the other ground spices are avialble for as little as 5-10 baht a pack there.

For me a good Indian restaurant is all about the breads, I always order 1 of each type (must annoy the chefs a little) but I love the textures.  In around 15 years of eating Indian food, I have never eaten it with rice.

In regards to the Tandoor, I have often thought about making one myself - Would be interested to know if restaurant owners buy or get them custom made.

Let me know if you are serious about building a Tandoor Oven.

Construction material is as follows; Sand 40% , Broken / smashed Glass 30%

Horse or Camel hair 10% and last but not least Salt 20%

Salt has a high heat retaining property.

Horse or Camel hair is like the ribbing in a building hold everything together.

Let me know if you are serious about building a Tandoor Oven.

Construction material is as follows; Sand 40% , Broken / smashed Glass 30%

Horse or Camel hair 10% and last but not least Salt 20%

Salt has a high heat retaining property.

Horse or Camel hair is like the ribbing in a building hold everything together.

Horse or Camel hair 10% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always wondered why I'm a fast runner to the toilet in the morning after a curry the night before.

Horse or Camel hair 10% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always wondered why I'm a fast runner to the toilet in the morning after a curry the night before.

Thats because you've had an oily/greese curry not because of the hairs :o , which aren't seen as they are actually holding the tandoor together in the mud and sand mix of the Oven walls.

Depending on the budget of the restaurant owner and the ease of procuring river clay / mud it is easier to get a ready made oven from Delhi.

A 1.5M x 1.5M x 1.5M Tandoor Oven will cost about 500US$ then the freight.

The oven is made by a family firm in Old Delhi, about 6 generations and going strong.

I know that the Khanasutra Chef made his own Tandoor Oven. You can ask him if you are interested in making one for the house......they are better than a barbie, has a lot of applications.

kashmir next door seems to be going in the direction of getting a Tandoor so hopefull the food improves, especially after the new chef settles in.

He's got a tandoor but it doesn't work, apparently. I quite like the food, but the prices are UK-level and set for tourists and rich ex-pats.

Most of the Indian restaurants I've tried in Thailand have been bitterly disappointing. Does anyone know a decent curry house anywhere on Phuket?

Hi, I am Trev the owner of Kashmir at Laguna. Thanks to everyone on this topic who have been very fair and positive in their responses. I need to straighten out a few details from earlier posts, in the interest of clarity.

Raju did not leave Kashmir, he was fired for several reasons the least of which was a series of complaints I had about his otherwise excellent food over a 10 day period when I was away on business. He is a very good chef and I was sorry to let him go. A few weeks later he and my head waiter opened Indiana. The head waiters parents own the building where he they now operate from. Conspiracy theorists need no prompting here.

The new chef I have, also called Raju is outstanding. We lost a few probably price concious customers to Indiana as they are cheaper, this is OK. We have consolidtaed our remaining trade and if anything, people now come more often. The Tandoor that the first Raju could not get working is now fired up every night and the Naan is simply stunning and, well, HUGE. I can't vouch for the food at Indiana obviously but I urge you to give us a try, risk free.

Both chefs in Laguna are called Raju?

Why havent any of the Indian restaurants in Phuket done a good buffet, Its a much more cost efficient way to serve the food and customers get value for money - Best way would be to try and get people to book in advance, that way you dont waste too much (if any) food.

• 2 weeks later...

Why havent any of the Indian restaurants in Phuket done a good buffet, Its a much more cost efficient way to serve the food and customers get value for money - Best way would be to try and get people to book in advance, that way you dont waste too much (if any) food.

khanasutra having a do this Saturday Evening.

Perhaps you can ask Billy(the owner) about a weekday Lunch Buffet.

:o

I've always enjoyed the food at Kashmir (just before you get to Laguna). The food might be a little more 'British Indian' than genuine Indian but I've yet to have a bad time there. The owner and his staff are always friendly and they deliver too (which is a big plus for a lzy git like me). Haven't been to Khanasutra before and shall have to give it a try soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always enjoyed the food at Kashmir (just before you get to Laguna).  The food might be a little more 'British Indian' than genuine Indian but I've yet to have a bad time there.  The owner and his staff are always friendly and they deliver too (which is a big plus for a lzy git like me).  Haven't been to Khanasutra before and shall have to give it a try soon.

I'm with you there, Colonel. I like the food, and the people there are delightful. I always eat there at least once when I'm over. Haven't tried the one next door, and probably won't. He acted pretty shabbily when he went, according to some of my local friends, so I won't go on principle.

I've always enjoyed the food at Kashmir (just before you get to Laguna).  The food might be a little more 'British Indian' than genuine Indian but I've yet to have a bad time there.  The owner and his staff are always friendly and they deliver too (which is a big plus for a lzy git like me).  Haven't been to Khanasutra before and shall have to give it a try soon.

Anyone who is interested and has time tonight.

Art Asia is having its annual party....

Khanasutra has a booth /table at the Art Asia Party tonight. FREE FOOD till it lasts.

Menu; North Indian Chicken Curry, Mutton Curry, Tandoor Chicken, Yellow Dhal, vegetable Samosas, Sheek kebabs, Saffron Rice.

Party starts at 6pm.

• 3 weeks later...

The best indian restaurant (and most genuine) is the Baluchi Restaurant in Hotel Horizon in Patong. Most spices they get from BKK and the food is very good. Pricy, some will say, but not compared to other restaurants in the Patong area. Having tried some of the other indian restaurants mention in Phuket City and on the road to Rawai, the taste is not even close compared to Baluchi. Obviously, it was closed for some time but is now re-open and serving the same delicious indian food. ( The Sindies in Phuket eat there when they go out). :o

Cheers.......kandt

• 3 weeks later...
The best indian restaurant (and most genuine) is the Baluchi Restaurant in Hotel Horizon in Patong. Most spices they get from BKK and the food is very good. Pricy, some will say, but not compared to other restaurants in the Patong area. Having tried some of the other indian restaurants mention in Phuket City and on the road to Rawai, the taste is not even close compared to Baluchi. Obviously, it was closed for some time but is now re-open and serving the same delicious indian food. ( The Sindies in Phuket eat there when they go out). :o

Cheers.......kandt

Can't speak for Billy (owner of Khanasutra) but have to beg to differ, Baluchi ok, Khanasutra BETTER.

Khanasutra is in the Lonley Planet, is Baluchi????

Curry all around ;-)