Best Indian Food In Phuket?

Jowels

Hello Everyone,

My Name is Billy Chima and I am the Owner of KHANASUTRA the

Indian Restaurant in Phuket Town / City.

I will be having a 3rd Anniversarry Party on the 23rd of April Sunday.

Time: 6:30pm onwards.

There will be a free Curry Buffet.

So if you are around please drop by.

BC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know an old thread but I feel compelled to reply!

I also heard that Mr. India charged 99 baht for Thai rice. My friend was given the choice of INdian or Thai. She choose thai. when the bill came she complained a bit and the owner told her "well now you know". Its little things like this that will keep me from ever trying it. Not to mention I am always happy to relay her story.

Regarding Kanasutra, I had one of my worst dining experiences ever. I had wanted to try the place for a long time .Its very well decorated and has a nice ambiance.

There was only a few other patrons in there and we ordered and the food took FOREVER. Over 30 minutes for the first course. My dinning companions food came about 15 minutes before my main course. He apologized for the delay. He said he would give us a nice desert. Having a sweet tooth I expected something wonderful.

What I got was deep fried dough in syrup. Not even realy honey.

Mabye he mistook up for backpackers who wouldnt know the difference.

Also isnt it called trolling wheyou write good things about your business pretending to be an objective critic?

Bill I am glad to know that you are trolling aroud in here.

Its called trolling when you do that.

Also isnt it called trolling wheyou write good things about your business pretending to be an objective critic?

Are you new to the intertron? That is not trolling at all....

From Wikipedia (bold by me):

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

Although this is rather amusing:

On page 4:

Original: thesikh

Can't speak for Billy (owner of Khanasutra) but have to beg to differ, Baluchi ok, Khanasutra BETTER.

Khanasutra is in the Lonley Planet, is Baluchi????

Curry all around ;-)

On page 5:

Hello Everyone,

Tsk tsk Billy! :o:D

I'm a big indian food fan. I found the food at Karnasutra decent. Unfortunately Billy has some staffing issues and the service is erratic. I quit going because I don't like having to hassle with the help when your paying premium restaurant prices.

The other indian places I've been to around Phuket are even worse. The place in Chalong has a good mutton curry but charges too much and has the 95 baht rice too!!!

I tried Baluchis in Patong once. Nice enough place but horribly overpriced and made me sick. The other ones on Beach Rd are marginal as well.

The indian restauranteurs strike me as being greedy for the tourist money. If they tailored their businesses toward what they themselves would like and feel comfortable paying for they might have more success. All it really needs to be is excellent food at slightly above average prices and be consistent day in day out.

And guess what magic would happen. They would have to start taking reservations.

Lessons can be learned from Cappaninias in Kata or Salvatores in Phuket town.

A good lesson in exemplary restaurant service can be had at the Swiss Chalet restaurant in Patong.( Steaks and cheese fondues are excellent too)

There are some really good restaurants here in Phuket so as customers we really don't have to put up with mediocrity.

I just have to wait till my visits to Bangkok for great indian food.

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

On page 4:

Can't speak for Billy (owner of Khanasutra) but have to beg to differ, Baluchi ok, Khanasutra BETTER.

Curry all around ;-)

On page 5:

Hello Everyone,

Tsk tsk Billy! :D:D

Dear Slackula

I know it looks weird, but David and Nigel both friends of mine in HongKong, who have Bizz in Phuket sometimes use my Visa.com membership to cruise the news so to speak which is why the 2 maybe 3 postings by David or Nigel.

They have their own membership so it won't be happening again.

Thanx for the support thou re "Trolling" :o

I know an old thread but I feel compelled to reply!

I also heard that Mr. India charged 99 baht for Thai rice. My friend was given the choice of INdian or Thai. She choose thai. when the bill came she complained a bit and the owner told her "well now you know". Its little things like this that will keep me from ever trying it. Not to mention I am always happy to relay her story.

Regarding Kanasutra, I had one of my worst dining experiences ever. I had wanted to try the place for a long time .Its very well decorated and has a nice ambiance.

There was only a few other patrons in there and we ordered and the food took FOREVER. Over 30 minutes for the first course. My dinning companions food came about 15 minutes before my main course. He apologized for the delay. He said he would give us a nice desert. Having a sweet tooth I expected something wonderful.

What I got was deep fried dough in syrup. Not even realy honey.

Mabye he mistook up for backpackers who wouldnt know the difference.

Even thou you are "glad to know that I am Trolling", you stand corrected by Slackula.

Its not trolling so no sweets for you. :o

Re: your bad experience, Sorry but all I can say is I will try to do better next time as I am only

human. I have my Local Fans (Once a Month) and I have my critics (Once a life time like

your self) Say la vie. There are other postings on this thread that say otherwise. (Se

Re; Sweet dish, just for your information is called a Gulab Jammu. Why I would change a dessert

from its original recipe (Syrup to Honey) is beyond me. Its how my Mum has made them

for the last 5 decades and therfore its how I make it.

Most packpackers I've come across know / how and what a gulab Jammu is/ made.

Were you wearing a back pack at the time??? :D

Also I do not need to pretend, I know who I am (objective critic Not) and defending once self is

not being critical of others. English is not my mother tounge so sometimes it might not come

out the way its thought. I am just trying to make a living like everyone else on this mud ball of ours.

Sometimes you make mistakes thats being human, if you learn from them then perhaps you are intelegent as well as human.

This has ben fun and educational.

Kind regards

BC

ps Its Billy not Bill.........Dive mistress :D

pps The food did not take forever. BECAUSE you would still be here. :D:D

A good lesson in exemplary restaurant service can be had at the Swiss Chalet restaurant in Patong.( Steaks and cheese fondues are excellent too)

They have to provide exemplary service to make up for the fact that they serve swiss food :o:D:D:D:D

On page 4:

Curry all around ;-)

On page 5:

Hello Everyone,

Tsk tsk Billy! :o:D

Well my apologies. I have heard this term used by people in teh dive industry who have diving businesses and go on scuba forums shamelessly plugging their business as if they were satisfied customers when they are just ruthlessly trying to get a customer away from the other dive shops. So what would the correct word be?

And yes I konw no one is perfect but you choose to be open when you were understaffed (?) at our expense. Of course I will never go back. It seems to be an issue. In a small village like this one I would think reputaion is of the utmost importance.

HOwever Capanina surely has staffing issues however the food is reasonably priced and is amazing. its worth the unfriendly looks from the moody waitresses who are still adapting to the learning curve of good service.

They have to provide exemplary service to make up for the fact that they serve swiss food :D:D:D:D:D

I don't know what's wrong with swiss food. The food at the swiss chalet is very good IMHO! :o

And yes I konw no one is perfect but you choose to be open when you were understaffed (?) at our expense. Of course I will never go back. It seems to be an issue. In a small village like this one I would think reputaion is of the utmost importance.

HOwever Capanina surely has staffing issues however the food is reasonably priced and is amazing. its worth the unfriendly looks from the moody waitresses who are still adapting to the learning curve of good service.

I've been to capaninna twice in the past 3 weeks and each time found the service to be bordering on the excellent.(admittedly it's a slower time of year) The food is so good and reasonably priced that I would go back even if the service was erratic.

But back to Billy and Karnasutra: His location mandates having a local client base. If he doesn't get it, it wont fly. I gave him a fair chance too because I like Indian food (I went there 4-5 times). Billy I think if you managed the restaurant yourself for a while you might be able to turn it around because you are clearly a very well educated and well spoken man.

Your food is good and if the client perception of getting a good deal existed you would have more returning business. Getting people to return to your restaurant is key. Are the local tailors patronizing your restaurant? If they aren't perhaps the answer as to why not might be of importance for you.

regards.K

I've been to capaninna twice in the past 3 weeks and each time found the service to be bordering on the excellent.(admittedly it's a slower time of year) The food is so good and reasonably priced that I would go back even if the service was erratic.

But back to Billy and Karnasutra: His location mandates having a local client base. If he doesn't get it, it wont fly. I gave him a fair chance too because I like Indian food (I went there 4-5 times). Billy I think if you managed the restaurant yourself for a while you might be able to turn it around because you are clearly a very well educated and well spoken man.

Your food is good and if the client perception of getting a good deal existed you would have more returning business. Getting people to return to your restaurant is key. Are the local tailors patronizing your restaurant? If they aren't perhaps the answer as to why not might be of importance for you.

regards.K

Regarding Capanina too, I tolerate the chance of bad servcie because like you mentioned the food is So good, where else in Phuket can you get such amazing spinach? Or a proper greek salad with generous helping of feta??? Needless to say the prices are worth it as well. I never spend over 300. Last tie I went my bill was only for 130. When i went to Kanasutra it was 800baht for the 2 of us and we didnt even drink!!!!!

At Capanina sometiems the waiterss can be good. My friend Always ask for one named Elle. However if they do get yoru order right then the food usually doesnt take to long. i swear the cook, Mario and part owner, must be one of the hardest working men in High season!!!!!

I heard that the owner knew there was a problem with his waitresses but he simply couldnt find any more staff but will have more next season. they were simply over worked. There is a new one now.

How much do you tip? I have tipped really wel before and sometimes only leaving 60 baht for the 3 of us. I want to tell her, if you just smiled more the tip would be higher!!!!! But when it seems like i inconvenience you then it droppes dramatically.

regards.K

Hi Kasi,

Thanx for your kind comments, I agree with you about my staffing problems, I have gone thru 68staff in close to 3 years. I am now there everynite.....I have been slacking in that department

for a while. I have to fight two major problems, 1) "Most" Thai woman DO NOT like Indian food.

2) Thai staff never stay long at Indian restaurants

You can not imagine how many hours I have wasted on Staff training only to never see them again..

Mai Kau chai.

Do you run a bizzness in Phuket...??

My Clients are local as well as tourists. When I say local I mean both Thai's and expats living in Phuket.

and YES I do have Indian Tailors eating at my place, One of them drives from Kata with his family The 2 main Tailors in Phuket town (Manhattan and Creative) both eat at my place......so I must be doing something right.

I haven't changed my prices for a little over 2 years. I am the ONLY Indian restaurant in Phuket to use NewZealand Lamb for my curries. You would be shocked if you found out what some of the Patong restaurants use............but I am not here to put another restaurant down just to defend mine.

I have managed to stay open for 3 years, I don't RIP people off, thats not how I was bought up.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to give Khanasutra another go, as I stated I am there every evening.

Kind regards

Billy Chima AKA The Sikh :o

Well my apologies. I have heard this term used by people in teh dive industry who have diving businesses and go on scuba forums shamelessly plugging their business as if they were satisfied customers when they are just ruthlessly trying to get a customer away from the other dive shops. So what would the correct word be?

Thats ok Dive Mistress everyone makes mistakes,....and anyone can mistake the dive industry for the food and beverage industry :o weather you learn from them is another thing altogether.

I choose to be open when I am understaffed is because I need to pay my rent,

pay my staff, pay my suppliers etc etc....Its called running a bussiness, try it sometime :D

"shamelessly plugging their business" and "ruthlessly trying to get a customer"

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say / print those things.

Thats how people get their reputations tainted.......more by other people then by circumstances.

Try to learn from Kasi the older wiser gentleman.

It seems an issue with you but NOT with me and I feel comfortable knowing I have a good reputation.

Even with your comments....try read some of the others (old thread)

Rgds

Billy

ps Apologies NOT excepted :D

The indian restauranteurs strike me as being greedy for the tourist money. If they tailored their businesses toward what they themselves would like and feel comfortable paying for they might have more success. All it really needs to be is excellent food at slightly above average prices and be consistent day in day out.

Dear Kasi,

if I wanted to be greedy for the tourist money. I would have opened in Patong.

I choose Phuket Town, now Phuket City because its "away from the maddening crowd".

No one has complained about my food being over priced just the follwing

(1) The Wine and I changed all that when I got back to Phuket last year.

(2) Service or lack of, as I stated I am there everynite.

Kind regards

Billy aka The Sikh

Dear Kasi,

if I wanted to be greedy for the tourist money. I would have opened in Patong.

I choose Phuket Town, now Phuket City because its "away from the maddening crowd".

No one has complained about my food being over priced just the follwing

(1) The Wine and I changed all that when I got back to Phuket last year.

(2) Service or lack of, as I stated I am there everynite.

Kind regards

Billy aka The Sikh

Well I'll have to give your place another go. I always thought the cooking was good. I was just put off by a couple of the things you mentioned.

I was referring to the indian restaurants in Patong as being greedy. The quality overall is abysmal.

Yes I recently opened a business in Patong and have been studying management aspects and tourist demographics more lately as a result.

Well I'll have to give your place another go. I always thought the cooking was good. I was just put off by a couple of the things you mentioned.

I was referring to the indian restaurants in Patong as being greedy. The quality overall is abysmal.

Yes I recently opened a business in Patong and have been studying management aspects and tourist demographics more lately as a result.

Dear Kasi

Perhaps we can chat about the management aspects and tourist demographics of Phuket.

I would be very musc interested.

Kind regards

BC the Sikh

Thats ok Dive Mistress everyone makes mistakes,....and anyone can mistake the dive industry for the food and beverage industry :o weather you learn from them is another thing altogether.

I choose to be open when I am understaffed is because I need to pay my rent,

pay my staff, pay my suppliers etc etc....Its called running a bussiness, try it sometime :D

"shamelessly plugging their business" and "ruthlessly trying to get a customer"

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say / print those things.

Thats how people get their reputations tainted.......more by other people then by circumstances.

Try to learn from Kasi the older wiser gentleman.

It seems an issue with you but NOT with me and I feel comfortable knowing I have a good reputation.

Even with your comments....try read some of the others (old thread)

Rgds

Billy

ps Apologies NOT excepted :D

i refered to my reference of the term trolling and referred to the specifically to the dive industry. Not you. However you did plug your restuarunt before defending your good name. But fair enough . At least you care.

However im glad you stayed open so that you may pay your bills. that Honeralbe billy but what should have been a nice evening for me was truely a frustrating one and embarrasing as I told my house guest i was excited to go to Phuket town and try the Indian restaurant. I was completely embarrased when we left, we were frustrated during the meal and it was just not such a nice evening that ended with disapointment as i expected something better from a nice restaurnat in PTown.

With the greatest respect to Billy at Kana Sutra, I have to suggest that a few Indian "takeaways" would go down very well in certain parts of Phuket. Decent Dahl and chapatiis, etc etc etc I reckon either a take away or a sort of half half house where you can either sit in or take away. But with good prices and quick turnover.

Don't get mad Billy, I mean it in the best possible way,

Seonai

i refered to my reference of the term trolling and referred to the specifically to the dive industry. Not you. However you did plug your restuarunt before defending your good name. But fair enough . At least you care.

However im glad you stayed open so that you may pay your bills. that Honeralbe billy but what should have been a nice evening for me was truely a frustrating one and embarrasing as I told my house guest i was excited to go to Phuket town and try the Indian restaurant. I was completely embarrased when we left, we were frustrated during the meal and it was just not such a nice evening that ended with disapointment as i expected something better from a nice restaurnat in PTown.

Most people would have complained to me, but you opted for a more public hearing.

I can't do anything for you, where before I could have offered you and A companion a FREE meal.

Lesson learnt for you I hope, LIFE IS and CAN BE FULL OF SURPRISES.

PS iF i DID'T CARE i WOULD'T BOTHER TO ANSWER YOUR POSTINGS. :D

I am ALSO GLAD I stayed open :o

Cheers

The Sikh aka Billy Chima

I still think that Kharnasutras the best curry on the island, but the wait can be a long-time - probably exasperated by the fact I order 1 of each bread.

The only other complaint would be the pricing, its not so much that its expensive (although it is) its that one type of curry differs in price quite a lot from another type of curry. I can understand the lamb being pricier than the chicken, but not one chicken curry being pricier than another.

The breads are fantastic though as is the vindaloo.

I also frequent Mr India A LOT, its 50metres away so I probably get a take-away at least twice a week. The food is generally good, again I dont understand the different prices for the curries - Mr India is very nice, I prefer Kharnasutra because of the vindaloo but thats all thats in it.

Edited by Ben@H3-Digital

I still think that Kharnasutras the best curry on the island, but the wait can be a long-time - probably exasperated by the fact I order 1 of each bread.

The only other complaint would be the pricing, its not so much that its expensive (although it is) its that one type of curry differs in price quite a lot from another type of curry. I can understand the lamb being pricier than the chicken, but not one chicken curry being pricier than another.

The breads are fantastic though as is the vindaloo.

I also frequent Mr India A LOT, its 50metres away so I probably get a take-away at least twice a week. The food is generally good, again I dont understand the different prices for the curries - Mr India is very nice, I prefer Kharnasutra because of the vindaloo but thats all thats in it.

Next time you are in KhanaSutra Ben, the 1st drinks on me and I will discuss my price structure

with you. BUT it stays between us :o

Cheers

With the greatest respect to Billy at Kana Sutra, I have to suggest that a few Indian "takeaways" would go down very well in certain parts of Phuket. Decent Dahl and chapatiis, etc etc etc I reckon either a take away or a sort of half half house where you can either sit in or take away. But with good prices and quick turnover.

Don't get mad Billy, I mean it in the best possible way,

Seonai :

Would never dream of getting mad at you Seonai

You are very very right thou, great idea!!!!

Any wan-be Partners out there...??????

Good prices yes, but quick turnover..........perhaps not...I don't know but from being here 3 years

I have a bit of knowledge.

Hope to C U and your son soon. :o

Rgds

Billy

Re take aways - you know in London Billy, people can just walk up to a little stall thing and buy a paper bowl of noodles or a curry and rice. Keep the costs minimal and have only one person serving. A big pot of dahl and the bread and maybe one other curry. I don't mean "take away" as in you give it out from the restaurant - too much hassle.

Hope to get over soon Billy, keep the dahl warm for me!!!

Seonai

I've been in Malaysia(KL) for the past few days and have been delighting in indian food here. I also visited the cameron highlands and found very nice food there too.

Right now I'm enjoying a take away of lamb curry, dahl, and beef dish,and rice for all of 8 ringit (83 baht) KL prices!

In the highlands prices about the same.

In phuket everyone want's at least 80 baht just for a dahl. Then some places charge 90 baht just for rice. I'm I painting a picture here?

Sometimes i just want a rice and dahl. And It would be nice not to have to pay 200 baht for it!

I know how to cook dahl so I know how cheap it is.

I guess I'll have too get back into cooking. (though it's a PITA to just cook for one)

Maybe I'll just have to wait for my trip into Malaysia to satisfy my indian food urges.

Kasi - the food in the Indian area is AMAZING !!!!! I was in Heaven there (Penang).

That's what I mean - in Thailand too many folks worry about spending a fortune on decor and opening nights and pomp and ceremony. Some people just want the basics.

Fast, good food :o

Hello Everyone,

I will be having a 3rd Anniversarry Party on the 23rd of April Sunday.

Time: 6:30pm onwards.

There will be a free Curry Buffet.

So if you are around please drop by.

BC

Happy anniversary to Billy and Khanasutra. :o

• 4 weeks later...
If you think you are eating Indian food at Mr. India, then you haven't a clue. You are beyond redemption.

Whatever,

I grew up with predominantly Indian Friends, Three of whom's family have owned UK indian restaurants (including a Goan one) I have eaten over 300 meals at Indian friends houses, I can cook any Indian curry by heart (including Balchoa and Cheese/Vegetarian curries) - and have cooked well over 1,000 Indian meals in the last 10 years, including making curries up off the fly (that impress even my Indian friends, mostly chickpea curries), I grow my own fenugreek and make special spice trips to Kuala Lumpar - Yet you seem to think that Indian food thats not (UK Indian Restaurant Food) doesn't count as 'true' Indian food. hel_l I even have those weird stainless steel spice tins with the little spoons and can make a perfectly acceptable Naan in a frying pan.

Learn what to order Sir Burr, Mr India has plenty of good Indian food to taste, Their Dahl is good, The Nan's are good (for Thailand) and some of the vegetarian, pulses and cheese dishes are very authentic and tasty.

Kasi, cook for four and freeze, curry tastes better reheated anyway (unless its beef).

I must admit, I have only ever tried two items at Mr. India.

Chicken tikka masala, which was like tomato soup with added chilli, and chapatis which were as thick as a Yorkshire pudding. Both absolute crap. Add to this that they charge 99 Bt for a serving of plain rice, then it also becomes a rip-off.

Not true about regarding only British Indian as the best. Worked four years in India and spent a lot of time in Singapore. These are the two places where I have eaten most of the Indian food that to me sets the standard.