100 Baht Went Missing From My Hotel Room

kunash

I better be more careful from now on. In all my years of travelling, holidays and stays in various hotels, I must have been extremely lucky that no hotel employee had ever "assumed" my cash left in the hotel room to be tips!!! I say extremely lucky because quite a few posters here say (and have experienced) that cash left in room in plain sight is widely interpreted as tips, just how this practice developed is unclear to me. I had previously thought (wrongly?) that my cash left in my room is MINE unless I expressly hand it over as tips.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you leave small change about in any hotel room, the staff will automatically assume it's a tip. I would think that applies in most countries, not only Thailand.

well, in the last year i have spent over 3 months in hotels, and never has this happened before, and never during any hotel stay during my life. so, from my experience i do not agree with your statement

Iwho would steal that small amount of money and risk their job, I would guess she thought it was a tip

A THB100 might be considered a small amount of money for you, but if the maid is making THB 300 a day, it would be a significant amount to the maid, and if they a ripping off THB 50 - THB 100 a room a day, then it would add up to a sizable amount of cash over a month....;)

I do not agree, that maid concerned thought is was a tip...in decent hotels, staff are told specifically not to touch any money left around in rooms, if the OP had give it to here in her hand as a tip, that is one thing.....this was a simple case of "playing the game" and lifting the the money.... 9 times out of 10 somebody would not notice, in this case the OP questioned it and the money "re-appeared" but note nobody came to apologise, so obviously not a mis-understanding...:rolleyes:

i agree. the reason i leave a good tip for the chambermaid is that i know they earn lousy salaries. any money i leave in the room after i have checked out, would be considered a tip.

If you leave small change about in any hotel room, the staff will automatically assume it's a tip. I would think that applies in most countries, not only Thailand.

well, in the last year i have spent over 3 months in hotels, and never has this happened before, and never during any hotel stay during my life. so, from my experience i do not agree with your statement

Agreed over the years I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels worldwide at both ends of the spectrum, (very cheap and very expensive) and this is not the norm, I don't believe through the years I have money (spare change) lifted out the room, but who knows, maybe havent noticed... :rolleyes:

If you leave small change about in any hotel room, the staff will automatically assume it's a tip

As others have said, this is completely wrong. Staff never assume that money or change is tip unless it's made plain obvious that it is a tip.

Do you leave a piece of paper with 'This is a Tip' written on it or do you not bother tipping - even if the service' has been good?

Iwho would steal that small amount of money and risk their job, I would guess she thought it was a tip

A THB100 might be considered a small amount of money for you, but if the maid is making THB 300 a day, it would be a significant amount to the maid, and if they a ripping off THB 50 - THB 100 a room a day, then it would add up to a sizable amount of cash over a month....;)

I do not agree, that maid concerned thought is was a tip...in decent hotels, staff are told specifically not to touch any money left around in rooms, if the OP had give it to here in her hand as a tip, that is one thing.....this was a simple case of "playing the game" and lifting the the money.... 9 times out of 10 somebody would not notice, in this case the OP questioned it and the money "re-appeared" but note nobody came to apologise, so obviously not a mis-understanding...:rolleyes:

You leave your coins out its classed as a tip and thats the same in all the hotels in the world ive stayed in..

It's never wise to leave anything of value (cash even more-so) on view in your room, even in higher-end hotels things go walkies (and 99% of hotels have warnings and disclaimers).

To be honest, I doubt I would even have mentioned it (if it were 1000 Baht maybe) but you handled it well and got a result :)

As Soutpeel says, fill in the comment sheet and leave it at that.

Do you know if it was actually 'your' money that re-materialised or just 100 Baht?

I thought the OP handled the situation well. The above were just common sense replies to the situation as well as what Soutpeel said. Good hotel usually grooms their staff very well. Small incident that could have greater consequences if a person felt they could have got away with it. I would think the OP may have helped the situation in the manner it was handled?

I better be more careful from now on. In all my years of travelling, holidays and stays in various hotels, I must have been extremely lucky that no hotel employee had ever "assumed" my cash left in the hotel room to be tips!!! I say extremely lucky because quite a few posters here say (and have experienced) that cash left in room in plain sight is widely interpreted as tips, just how this practice developed is unclear to me. I had previously thought (wrongly?) that my cash left in my room is MINE unless I expressly hand it over as tips.

Amazing, this thread has been an absolute eye opener for me. For almost 20 years, i have been travelling all over the world on company business, about 15 trips a year to various corners of the world. Always stay in hotels, either 3 or 4 star types. Have stayed in at least a hundred different hotels in Thailand itself. About 4-6 months in a year spent in hotels. Have ALWAYS left loose change out in the open on the table. Never EVER have lost a dime. And never ever did i ever know or hear from other travelling colleagues that small change left in the open is taken as tips by chambermaids. In fact, i did not know that chamber maids are tipped in this manner!!!!

Amazing, this thread has been an absolute eye opener for me. For almost 20 years, i have been travelling all over the world on company business, about 15 trips a year to various corners of the world. Always stay in hotels, either 3 or 4 star types. Have stayed in at least a hundred different hotels in Thailand itself. About 4-6 months in a year spent in hotels. Have ALWAYS left loose change out in the open on the table. Never EVER have lost a dime. And never ever did i ever know or hear from other travelling colleagues that small change left in the open is taken as tips by chambermaids. In fact, i did not know that chamber maids are tipped in this manner!!!!

Hi 'saakura'…..Mate! You come across as if you're on speed, are you? I 'm not trying to be rude; you just come across as a 'human Jack rustle 'b-r-e-a-t-h………… Better now? Never lost a dime, all the hotels, all them countries a, come on…….Did you check down the back of every sofa? I didn't think so.

Just a foot note; The <deleted> in one hotel I stayed in kept

eating my chocolate out the fridge….and leaving the shagging empty rapper on

the table…… in plain view. Cheeky buggers!

Edited by Tonto21

And we think the people of Thailand are ignorant when we are, at least in some cases, the ignorant ones.

Sorry 'BuckarooBanzai'......"Woooooooooooosh'....................Thats what you just said, going over my head! What are you on about? Can you elaberate?

And we think the people of Thailand are ignorant when we are, at least in some cases, the ignorant ones.

Honestly, upon checking out obviously any money left would be considered a tip.

I wouldn't expect any coins or notes to be taken before I had checked out. I'm the kind of guy who empties my pockets onto the dresser or whatever else, receipts, notes, coins......

I wouldn't report it for 100 Baht (500 would raise an eyebrow!) but as said, you (OP) probably dealt with it well and I would think, like to think, it wasn't a theft anyway.

Shug

Amazing, this thread has been an absolute eye opener for me. For almost 20 years, i have been travelling all over the world on company business, about 15 trips a year to various corners of the world. Always stay in hotels, either 3 or 4 star types. Have stayed in at least a hundred different hotels in Thailand itself. About 4-6 months in a year spent in hotels. Have ALWAYS left loose change out in the open on the table. Never EVER have lost a dime. And never ever did i ever know or hear from other travelling colleagues that small change left in the open is taken as tips by chambermaids. In fact, I did not know that chamber maids are tipped in this manner!!!!

I've worked in a few hotels around the world as well as stayed at many and this has never happened to me or have I heard it being done by hotel guests. It's absurd to think that money left lying in a room is a tip for the housekeeping. A tip is given from person to person.

<br />
<br />And we think the people of Thailand are ignorant when we are, at least in some cases, the ignorant ones.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Sorry 'BuckarooBanzai'......"Woooooooooooosh'....................Thats what you just said, going over my head! What are you on about? Can you elaberate?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We are responsible for our actions. If we leave a few baht out for the maid and she takes it then it is a crime? Unless we leave a note legally authorizing such a withdrawal this is theft? We really have no concept of the business community do we. As a post business man I left tips like this all the time. If it is not a tip do not leave it on the table in plain site as an offering. Is it still over your head?

<br />
<br />And we think the people of Thailand are ignorant when we are, at least in some cases, the ignorant ones.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Sorry 'BuckarooBanzai'......"Woooooooooooosh'....................Thats what you just said, going over my head! What are you on about? Can you elaberate?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We are responsible for our actions. If we leave a few baht out for the maid and she takes it then it is a crime? Unless we leave a note legally authorizing such a withdrawal this is theft? We really have no concept of the business community do we. As a post business man I left tips like this all the time. If it is not a tip do not leave it on the table in plain site as an offering. Is it still over your head?

Rodger that, I got that squire between the ears! I understand what you just wrote…..very clear,and I agree. But are you really trying to pass off this last announcement as along drawn out explanation of your former statement? Really?

Edited by Tonto21

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />Sorry 'BuckarooBanzai'......&quot;Woooooooooooosh'....................Thats what you just said, going over my head! What are you on about? Can you elaberate?<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />We are responsible for our actions. If we leave a few baht out for the maid and she takes it then it is a crime? Unless we leave a note legally authorizing such a withdrawal this is theft? We really have no concept of the business community do we. As a post business man I left tips like this all the time. If it is not a tip do not leave it on the table in plain site as an offering. Is it still over your head?<br />
<br /><br /><br /><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3"></font></font>Rodger that, I got that squire between the ears!  I understand what you just wrote…..very clear,and I agree. But are you really trying to pass off this last announcement as along drawn out explanation of your former statement? Really?<br /><br /><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3"></font></font><br /><font face="Times New Roman"> </font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

No just kidding!

Maybe she thought it was a tip, who knows. When I'm in a hotel in Thailand I always leave 2-20bt notes everyday on the bed/pillow/table.

When I come back it's always gone and I have extra towels and water, fresh sheets and pillowcases. What a DEAL.

As a bonus, when I see her in the hallways her smile is worth 40bt. 4-5 star hotel..1500-4000bt per night, come on.. 100bt is chump change.

Amazing, this thread has been an absolute eye opener for me. For almost 20 years, i have been travelling all over the world on company business, about 15 trips a year to various corners of the world. Always stay in hotels, either 3 or 4 star types. Have stayed in at least a hundred different hotels in Thailand itself. About 4-6 months in a year spent in hotels. Have ALWAYS left loose change out in the open on the table. Never EVER have lost a dime. And never ever did i ever know or hear from other travelling colleagues that small change left in the open is taken as tips by chambermaids. In fact, I did not know that chamber maids are tipped in this manner!!!!

I've worked in a few hotels around the world as well as stayed at many and this has never happened to me or have I heard it being done by hotel guests. It's absurd to think that money left lying in a room is a tip for the housekeeping. A tip is given from person to person.

Sorry but dont believe you.. If you have travelled you will know this happens when you leave your coins there.. ok not all maids take it and ive then give it to them by hand but lots do

This is theft, plain and simple and you should tell the hotel manager. The maid won’t have thought it a tip, she’d have thought this rich foreigner won’t even notice or if he does, he won’t make a fuss over 100 baht. Not saying anything is just encouraging her to take more. Let her do the explaining to the manager.

I used to work in the Shangri La hotel in Bangkok and assure you that the staff there are told never to take anything from the rooms. There, they would be fired, and IMHO, quite rightly so as they knew the rules.

100 baht is is a lot of money to a housekeeper.

Whatever you do, don't leave a tip at the end of your stay.

Seems like many westerners here have codependency issues - they care too much what a cleaner or other service workers think about them.

cheap charlie

Thai reasoning...

If OP does'nt leave a tip in the end, he'll get called the worst cheapcharlie ever for not even tipping a measely 100 baht for her honesty and hard work.

If Op does leave a tip then they will surely call him a fool for complaining about the missing money and then being silly enough to give it back anyways.

Either way he is farang kee nioaw and bah and ting tong and probably even called a lot worse :lol:

Thai reasoning...

If OP does'nt leave a tip in the end, he'll get called the worst cheapcharlie ever for not even tipping a measely 100 baht for her honesty and hard work.

If Op does leave a tip then they will surely call him a fool for complaining about the missing money and then being silly enough to give it back anyways.

Either way he is farang kee nioaw and bah and ting tong and probably even called a lot worse :lol:

Right on

:cheesy:

Ditto for the last 30 years I have been travelling!

Sorry but dont believe you.. If you have travelled you will know this happens when you leave your coins there.. ok not all maids take it and ive then give it to them by hand but lots do

Do I care if you don't believe? Not really. I was relating my own experience and I honestly did not know that maids can actually "assume" money left in plain sight in my room were tips. As you admit anyway "not all maids take it" and is it so hard to beleive that others may have had a different expoerience to you? Good bye.

i am with Doggie on this one - the chambermaid knows never to touch a hotel's customers money, even if it left out on a table. and this has been confirmed in this thread by someone who has actually worked in a higher end hotel. if i want to leave the change from my pockets on the table, then i must be able to without the risk of it being (mistakingly) taken.

I would say the principle of the matter is, If you dont want it to go missing dont leave it in plain sight.

As for those who say this is "normal practice" for maids to take change I also have to disagree. HAving travelled on business for over 30 years and stayed in many hotels I have never experieced hotel staff helping themselves to my belongings or valuables

IMHO while you occupy the room nothing which belongs to you should be removed without your permission, and this is what i find in all hotels i have stayed in.

You leave your coins out its classed as a tip and thats the same in all the hotels in the world ive stayed in..

You must have a very naive face.