100 Baht Went Missing From My Hotel Room

kunash

I am staying in a hotel in bangkok at the moment while my wife sorts out her new passport. i wont give the name but it is a high end hotel. ( not that it really matters )

at the end of each night i usually empty my pockets of change and leave it by the tv - and at the end of my stay this will be the chambermaid's tip.

i returned to my room on the second day, in the afternoon, and the room had been cleaned.

i noticed that the pile of coins had gone. i know i had not touched it, neither had my wife. my wife knows i always leave the coins there, and what they ar for

so, what would you do?

Later that day i went to the club lounge for happy hour and i talked to the reception girl there about my reservation. i also mentioned that some money had gone missing from my room, and maybe the chambermaid had moved it, but i could not find it. i asked if the chambermain could please find my money and put it back. i did not accuse anyone of stealing or go in all guns blazing. i was very polite and just asked for it to be returned.

after happy hour we went out, and returned later that night. my money had been returned, and was next to the tv.

but how would you feel? not bothered that someone had taken your money? would you have asked to see the manager? for me, it is the principal of the matter, dont touch what isnt yours.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tackled it right, after getting the money back all I would done is filled in the comment, stated the problem and the resolution, this makes management aware that there actually has been a "theft" and if its a decent hotel they will take the appropriate action

It's never wise to leave anything of value (cash even more-so) on view in your room, even in higher-end hotels things go walkies (and 99% of hotels have warnings and disclaimers).

To be honest, I doubt I would even have mentioned it (if it were 1000 Baht maybe) but you handled it well and got a result :)

As Soutpeel says, fill in the comment sheet and leave it at that.

Do you know if it was actually 'your' money that re-materialised or just 100 Baht?

Do you know if it was actually 'your' money that re-materialised or just 100 Baht?

when i talked to the reception lady i was not specific about an amount. i said some money had gone missing, maybe about 70, 80, 100, 120 baht - i told her i am not sure. but i knew how much was there, and the correct amount was returned

oh and yes, i use the safe for my valuables and money ( notes )

and i will still leave a tip :)

Edited by kunash

some times a chambermaid can think that you left it for her,always on the first day i always left a tip on the pillow so she knew it was for her,aways worked for me,flowers and little extras would appear next day,given that she put back the exact amount i would think she thought this,if it was theft she might have slung it in her pocket a bit quick without counting it.

Would have thought that was normal in most Hotels anywhere in the world.... At the end of the day you leave all your odd coins for the maid when she cleans the room... If it was not for the maid each day then put the coins in a draw/bag/case, leave it by the tv or bedside table = is for the maid.

I agree with one of the other comments stating that perhaps the maid thought you left her these coins as tip. I also often leave some change for the maid and I am pretty sure this is rather common. And since the money was returned to you fair and square, it definitely looks like the maid was under the impression the coins were a tip; if she wouldn't taken it with bad intentions, would you really think she would have returned it?

Anyway, a lousy 100 baht... There are more important things in life.

Indeed, I am the same and thought it was pretty bog standard to leave a pile of coins for the maid.

Hope she doesn't lose her job over something this small, especially if it was simply a misunderstanding.

I would never leave money out in a hotel room, why would you do that?

Many people who want to tip the maid leave a small amount of money out for the maid, extra towels, more water whatever and leaving an amount like that leads them to think it is for them.

who would steal that small amount of money and risk their job, I would guess she thought it was a tip

Edited by Lost in LOS

If you leave small change about in any hotel room, the staff will automatically assume it's a tip. I would think that applies in most countries, not only Thailand.

This was exactly what I was thinking ...

Many people leave a tip each day.

Iwho would steal that small amount of money and risk their job, I would guess she thought it was a tip

A THB100 might be considered a small amount of money for you, but if the maid is making THB 300 a day, it would be a significant amount to the maid, and if they a ripping off THB 50 - THB 100 a room a day, then it would add up to a sizable amount of cash over a month....;)

I do not agree, that maid concerned thought is was a tip...in decent hotels, staff are told specifically not to touch any money left around in rooms, if the OP had give it to here in her hand as a tip, that is one thing.....this was a simple case of "playing the game" and lifting the the money.... 9 times out of 10 somebody would not notice, in this case the OP questioned it and the money "re-appeared" but note nobody came to apologise, so obviously not a mis-understanding...:rolleyes:

Iwho would steal that small amount of money and risk their job, I would guess she thought it was a tip

A THB100 might be considered a small amount of money for you, but if the maid is making THB 300 a day, it would be a significant amount to the maid, and if they a ripping off THB 50 - THB 100 a room a day, then it would add up to a sizable amount of cash over a month....;)

I do not agree, that maid concerned thought is was a tip...in decent hotels, staff are told specifically not to touch any money left around in rooms, if the OP had give it to here in her hand as a tip, that is one thing.....this was a simple case of "playing the game" and lifting the the money.... 9 times out of 10 somebody would not notice, in this case the OP questioned it and the money "re-appeared" but note nobody came to apologise, so obviously not a mis-understanding...:rolleyes:

Another proud idiotic expat teaching the lowly Thais about culture and tips and "playing the game." You must be really proud, 100 Baht means that much to you "staying at a high end Hotel." What was it Nana?

The OP already stated he kept the money there to kep for a tip for the Chambermaid at the end of his stay.

Many guests do leave a Tip for the maid in an obvious place for the Maid to find it and know it is a Tip.

Why the OP would assume the money was stolen by the Maid is beyond reasonabel understanding.

A small amount like 100 bhat is a good tip. It is not like leaving thousands of baht laying around (which one should never do), but think most maids would not touch your money if it is a substantial amount. Yes, there are thieves, but staying in any hotel where hotel staff have access to your room, If you leave a small amount out, it is usually assumed by staff to be a nice Tip for the Maid.

Hopefully the OP did not get the maid fired by his complaining to reception for his own mistaken conduct of leaving small pocket money "On the TV"

would you call the landmark on sukvt.rd.a decent hotel because i have been leaving tips this way for 20years and many other decent hotels,agree with the majority.

Well handled by the OP and credit to the Hotel and Maid for its swift return.

It sounds like the maid assumed it was a tip and promptly returned it when asked. Probably somewhat embarrassed at the loss of face.

I also leave whatever is in my pocket for the maid IF she has done a good job. A few hundred baht doesn't mean much to me, and hopefully does to them.

Another proud idiotic expat teaching the lowly Thais about culture and tips and "playing the game." You must be really proud, 100 Baht means that much to you "staying at a high end Hotel." What was it Nana?

Whether its 1THB or THB 1 million, taking something which does belong to you is theft, if he had left money in the room checking out as tip, then thats fine, but if you are "living" in the room and someone taking something which doesnt belong them and "assuming" it belongs to them...this is something else, so what you are saying is if I check into a hotel, because I am in the room, I can assume the bath towels and robes are mine, so I can take them home with me when I check out ?.....:whistling:

Not trying to teach anybody about culture....Its called common decency in any culture or country.

Easy to mistake a tip in this case. Some here are not aware of the maid tipping process. Once, in the US, after moving to a new place, my wife and I sat in a restaurant reading want ads for homes and using the payphone to call them. As we were circling various ads, we had put all our change on the table for the many payphone calls we were about to make. Along came the busy waitress and scooped all our change into her apron pocket. Was quite hilarious actually. She was embarrassed and gave us back some...:lol:

I too am amazed at this post. If you leave any money out on the table it is assumed to be a "tip".

In a restaurant anywhere service is made. In this case when you leave you better tip her well! More than 100B for just being honest and returning it. This ones on the OP! Talk about cheap Charley...and yeah don't give the BS about how much they get paid either. They deserve a decent wage. Bet you never asked for a pay raise.

I too am amazed at this post. If you leave any money out on the table it is assumed to be a "tip".

In a restaurant anywhere service is made. In this case when you leave you better tip her well! More than 100B for just being honest and returning it. This ones on the OP! Talk about cheap Charley...and yeah don't give the BS about how much they get paid either. They deserve a decent wage. Bet you never asked for a pay raise.

i too am amazed at this post,i should have took time to read it properly,the op says at night he empties his pockets of loose change,he must have counted every satang to know there was a hundred baht there,who counts their loose change i might ask,then next day he goes down to the bar for happy hour,what was it buy one get one freeeeeeeeeee.

Give the guy a break; I think he's made a fair statement about finding money gone he had left out. That's not to say I think his actions were very wise, and now after reading the replies regarding, chamber maids and lose change he's sure to be the wiser. I think the whole incident was a misunderstanding.

Edited by Tonto21

This is theft, plain and simple and you should tell the hotel manager. The maid won’t have thought it a tip, she’d have thought this rich foreigner won’t even notice or if he does, he won’t make a fuss over 100 baht. Not saying anything is just encouraging her to take more. Let her do the explaining to the manager.

I used to work in the Shangri La hotel in Bangkok and assure you that the staff there are told never to take anything from the rooms. There, they would be fired, and IMHO, quite rightly so as they knew the rules.

100 baht is is a lot of money to a housekeeper.

Whatever you do, don't leave a tip at the end of your stay.

Seems like many westerners here have codependency issues - they care too much what a cleaner or other service workers think about them.

I agree, it would be thought of as a tip, small change (coins/20/50B notes) left out, on view is a tip, regardless of whether it's your first day or checking out day! If you prefer to just tip on the last day of your stay, put the small change in a draw each day.

Edited by trevorg

This is theft, plain and simple and you should tell the hotel manager. The maid won't have thought it a tip, she'd have thought this rich foreigner won't even notice or if he does, he won't make a fuss over 100 baht. Not saying anything is just encouraging her to take more. Let her do the explaining to the manager.

I used to work in the Shangri La hotel in Bangkok and assure you that the staff there are told never to take anything from the rooms. There, they would be fired, and IMHO, quite rightly so as they knew the rules.

100 baht is is a lot of money to a housekeeper.

Whatever you do, don't leave a tip at the end of your stay.

Seems like many westerners here have codependency issues - they care too much what a cleaner or other service workers think about them.

;)