Taste Of The East "Festival"

TheShockMaster

I thought I take a look along beach road to find out what all the fuss was about the Taste of the East festival that I had seen advertised around town and on TV. Firstly, most websites stated that it started on the 5th until the 12th. Apparently, it's the 7th until the 10th... so that was a major mess up to start with... There I was walking along beach road wondering where the "festival" was. To me it looks like they have taken Mikes Shopping mall outside and set it up along the coconut bar? No culinary delights, no music as promised... all I could see was dodgy gold watches, an empty temporary beer tent and people selling knock off Tshirt and bikinis? Seriously...

Edited by CalzoHoudini

Yep, most of these "festivals" are just an excuse for the city (or more likely some "influential" person)to make money renting out the PUBLIC space along the beach for a few days to these junk vendors and dodgy food sellers. It makes Beach Road even dirtier and more down-market than usual if one can imagine that.

The city official don't realize (care?) that the design of the worn-out, small walk area of the Beach Road "promenade" is not designed for market stalls and vendors. The narrow, curving paths with the concrete "mini-hills" are not made to be a market, it was made to be a beach walk -- ONLY. I suppose next, the city will come up with a design to cut down the palm trees and flatten the whole area so they can squeeze in more stalls selling "one day only" watches, clothes, T shirts, and lunch meat. True, all the stalls pay a high fee to rent out the space. I never see if the money made goes towards improving the beach walk or purchasing more trash bins.

maybe we should come to terms with the fact that Thai culture has indeed been reduced to selling fake T-shirts, fake watches and flying into psychopathic rages when the falangs won't pay their inflated prices....so the festival does in fact give a taste of the East as far as Thailand is concerned

If you want a taste of the East...just go in any mall or any attraction or any sidewalk and sure as dog sh*t sticks to your shoe....you will find it. In the shape of mountains of tourist tat. Who the hell buys 1 inch high wooden elephants, Packs of fat wooden pencils with "thailand" burnt into the side fo them. Glittery metal peacocks, mountains of silk purses made from silk not Sow's ears...and the T shirts..........the pile gets higher and higher every day.....just as some mindless tourist buys a wooden spoon another thousand trees are being chopped down and some poor bugger is sitting cutting and filing and polishing up another pile of wooden elephants and paid a pittance.....WHEN the hell is it ever going to stop... If you you could do a stock count throughout Thailand of this crapolla there must be at least one piece of useless dust gathering tat for every person on this and all the other planets in the universe......

but hey ....there must still be someone out there that needs to finish off their Des Rez and have that little piece of black wood sitting gathering dust in a corner.....

I know who buys this tat ... the countless number of people who have no concept of what is happening to the planet around them to get the tat onto a shelf or stall on every street, mall, zoo, botanic garden, national park beahc front etc etc....so they can go home with a "taste of the East"

rant over

I think my first post may have been a little too "harsh". I did notice that there was a stage set up at Central Festival... playing god awful music by Thai artists... just what the "tourists" want to hear. I watched for about 2 minutes, couldn't understand a thing they were saying, the crowd were entirely Thai and I must have seen about 6 farangs all with a look of "what the <deleted> is going on" across their faces. Anyway... Pattaya, your "festival" was terrible.