External House Paint - Pattaya

I have a house in Pattaya that I am looking at having repainted externally, some cracks filled, architraves sorted out, a decent job for someone.( House, garage and pool house) 1 storey bungalow type.

I had a quote from a chap who runs a property management company there, just over £15,000 or 750,000bt!!!!!!!!! Laugh, I still can't stop!!! British chap.

Another example of expats trying to make a mint ripping others off!

Beware all, keep your heads.

Best wishes.

Ian only subcontracts the work to a local Thai company.

Edit: but every time I've had a quote for doing some painting in a condo they've been ridiculous prices and I ended up doing it myself.

Edited by PattayaParent

Ian who?

I dealt with a chap called David. I won't name the company but whether they subcontract or not surely there are not people stupid enough to accept quotes of this ridiculousness? I hope not!

The company is either very busy and quoted too high as they don't want teh work or so desperate they have no work and are trying to make a years money in this job!!!

Edit: but every time I've had a quote for doing some painting in a condo they've been ridiculous prices and I ended up doing it myself.

I won't name the company but whether they subcontract or not surely there are not people stupid enough to accept quotes of this ridiculousness?

Of course there are. The guy you are talking about probably used to do the same thing to little old ladies back in the UK, before getting featured on Rogue Traders.

I won't name the company but whether they subcontract or not surely there are not people stupid enough to accept quotes of this ridiculousness?

Of course there are. The guy you are talking about probably used to do the same thing to little old ladies back in the UK, before getting featured on Rogue Traders.

Ian who?

I dealt with a chap called David. I won't name the company but whether they subcontract or not surely there are not people stupid enough to accept quotes of this ridiculousness? I hope not!

The company is either very busy and quoted too high as they don't want teh work or so desperate they have no work and are trying to make a years money in this job!!!

David is Ians boss

Blimey, that quote is not even tempting. Did he put the decimal point in the right place?

The condo I live in is currently being painted, and the cost per unit is 22,000 baht. This is for cleaning the building and then applying a coat of sealer and two top coats. Tha building comprises of two towers of 34 floors, with two apartments on each floor, (30 residential floors in each tower, making 120 units in total), plus a five storey car park, and all the usual facilities, eg. tennis court, squash court, games floor, common area and swimming pool. It comes with a five year guarantee from a well known paint manufacturer. The condo committee negotiated the deal, and they are all Thai professionals, so they had plenty of leverage. Thank God I was not on the committee, otherwise the price may have risen substantially had they seen my face!

Alan

We had our house in the village painted (house of reasonable size (too big to being doing it alone or with some help) and 4 guys finished it in 3 days (2 coats) and it was in labor costs (excluding paint) around 3500 (excluding the beers in the evening :whistling:) Gave them a Tip as well, as they did an excellent job.

Edit 20:20 Removed Quote

Thats a good job done....4 guys labour for 3 days......best way to go, buy materials and pay labour..so much cheaper than companies...same applies to building if you know good builders, make sure you treat them well and at end of month/week/day bring Chang, Sang Som and Lao Kaow............so nice to hear someone getting value for money.

To be honest it would be quite OK if the standard of finished product is high...however in Pattaya many of these farang builders charge high and deliver really crappy results. The "excuses" are the same: this is Thailand, oh I already told the worker but he does not understand, etc. Might as well employ a local. And in my experience, there are many well meaning, honest and skiiled Thais out there.

• 1 month later...

Does anone have any phone number for Thai painters to do some external paint? I'll pay a fair wage for a fair job plus provide some beer!

Any family member with ladders (as they will be needed) or can be hired who wants to work for 1/2/3 weeks(maybe 1/2/3/ people as it will take less time).

I have a job for them but not willling to pay farang prices!! Can get filler/sealer/paint etc. and pay cash weekly. No issues.

Anyone know of a reliable painter please let me know. Immidiate start or can wait.

Cheers

Kind regards

To be honest it would be quite OK if the standard of finished product is high...however in Pattaya many of these farang builders charge high and deliver really crappy results. The "excuses" are the same: this is Thailand, oh I already told the worker but he does not understand, etc. Might as well employ a local. And in my experience, there are many well meaning, honest and skiiled Thais out there.

Ian who?

David is Ians boss

Does that make the stupid quote ok then?

JH

Rocket, check your PM.

It's not easy to base an estimate purely on a description.

What's the state of the property, are there major repairs necessary.

Are there garden ornaments, trees or plants to work around, is there a lot of wood work, should the gate and the outer-wall be included, etc. etc.

Interiors is the same story: is the home (condo, house) furnished, are the walls old or new cement, do the ceiling need to be repaired (mostly they need), does the paint job include door-posts, doors, window-frames, etc, etc.

Our price for small projects eg. condo's and or houses (bungalows) is THB 1000 per day for one person or THB 1500 for 2 people (this doesn't mean that the job will be finished at 50% of the time, but it will go faster). Add the sealer, putty, paint, coating, tape, rollers, brushes, etc. (we can take care of this or you buy it yourself).

Just an estimate for a 35m2 condo (no furniture, small cracks in the walls and ceilings to be repaired), door post, door: THB 5000 labor and THB 5000/THB 6000 material.

As a bonus, we will check the technical part of the condo (or home) on leaking taps, running of the water-pump, functioning of ceiling-fans, light-bulbs, ALL windows and doors will be checked and repaired at cost price.

As an example: We did a 45m2 ground floor condo, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 living room incl/ kitchen; FULLY furnished; changed curtain rail in living room, lots of wooden-accents, we washed the curtains, checked all the aluminum sliding windows and balcony doors (incl repairs); we used Beger emulsion for interior - semi gloss and matt for the ceilings.

It took us 8 days with 1,5 guy and the customer paid THB 15,000; all in.

Another example: We did a 60m2 (2 storey house = 120m2); 3 bedrooms; 3 bathrooms; kitchen; living room; stairway; all walls and ceilings; 1 outer door and 7 inner doors; door posts; minor repair in the kitchen; walls were cracked; check and repairs of aluminum sliding windows; new locks on outer door. We used Nippon Healthy Emulsion (don't drink it). The project took us nearly 3 weeks with 2 people (yes, a bit slow), but the customer finally paid THB 20,000 all in.

What we 'll usually do is:

- check the property with a check list, so that nothing will be forgotten.

- you will choose the paint and the shades

- we'll take the measurements as accurate as possible

- we'll make you an offer (which includes all the work to be done, paints that will be used [brands, colors and shades] , start date, end date, price to be paid.

This sounds rather normal and maybe you think: Isn't it done always like that?

Not always..........in most cases, a lot of surprises will finally be added up.

Thanks. We have spoken via PM and email now.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Rocket, check your PM.

Are there garden ornaments, trees or plants to work around, is there a lot of wood work, should the gate and the outer-wall be included, etc. etc.

Interiors is the same story: is the home (condo, house) furnished, are the walls old or new cement, do the ceiling need to be repaired (mostly they need), does the paint job include door-posts, doors, window-frames, etc, etc.

Our price for small projects eg. condo's and or houses (bungalows) is THB 1000 per day for one person or THB 1500 for 2 people (this doesn't mean that the job will be finished at 50% of the time, but it will go faster). Add the sealer, putty, paint, coating, tape, rollers, brushes, etc. (we can take care of this or you buy it yourself).

Just an estimate for a 35m2 condo (no furniture, small cracks in the walls and ceilings to be repaired), door post, door: THB 5000 labor and THB 5000/THB 6000 material.

As a bonus, we will check the technical part of the condo (or home) on leaking taps, running of the water-pump, functioning of ceiling-fans, light-bulbs, ALL windows and doors will be checked and repaired at cost price.

As an example: We did a 45m2 ground floor condo, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 living room incl/ kitchen; FULLY furnished; changed curtain rail in living room, lots of wooden-accents, we washed the curtains, checked all the aluminum sliding windows and balcony doors (incl repairs); we used Beger emulsion for interior - semi gloss and matt for the ceilings.

Another example: We did a 60m2 (2 storey house = 120m2); 3 bedrooms; 3 bathrooms; kitchen; living room; stairway; all walls and ceilings; 1 outer door and 7 inner doors; door posts; minor repair in the kitchen; walls were cracked; check and repairs of aluminum sliding windows; new locks on outer door. We used Nippon Healthy Emulsion (don't drink it). The project took us nearly 3 weeks with 2 people (yes, a bit slow), but the customer finally paid THB 20,000 all in.

- we'll make you an offer (which includes all the work to be done, paints that will be used [brands, colors and shades] , start date, end date, price to be paid.

^^SS are you in Bangkok? I can and mostly do everything but while I can paint, I hate it with a passion and I have a second floor exterior that is a bit tricky to get at since there is an overhang on the first floor..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^^SS are you in Bangkok? I can and mostly do everything but while I can paint, I hate it with a passion and I have a second floor exterior that is a bit tricky to get at since there is an overhang on the first floor..

Check your PM

SS

Edited by saengsureeya

Thanks. We have spoken via PM and email now.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Rocket, check your PM.

\

And a very obvious comment dont cheap ar*e the paint you buy.....there are "paint's" and there are "paints" .....;)