Restrictions On Thai National Owning Land

You don't need a Thai marriage document, a translated copy of your original marriage certificate certified by the MFA is fine. Thailand recognizes overseas marriages as valid.

I don't think the OP even has a translated and MFA certified copy of his UK marriage certificate. Even for foreign marriages, immigration has been known to require a copy of the marriage registration document from the Amphur.

You don't need a Thai marriage document, a translated copy of your original marriage certificate certified by the MFA is fine. Thailand recognizes overseas marriages as valid.

I don't think the OP even has a translated and MFA certified copy of his UK marriage certificate. Even for foreign marriages, immigration has been known to require a copy of the marriage registration document from the Amphur.

Maybe where you are, however we've always been able to use out Australian marriage certificate to get my wife's extension.

Maybe where you are, however we've always been able to use out Australian marriage certificate to get my wife's extension.

As I am fast learning, things at one Immigration are not the same at the next. In Udon Thani we just showed the British Marriage Certificate. This year at the Mae Sai office they wanted both my Marriage and the Kids Birth certificates stamped by the British Embassy. We actually went to the Consulate in Chiang Mai where they produced 2 Affirmation letters. The details were supplied by me they produced Computer Driven letters which were signed by me and stamped and signed by the Consulate. That cost me 7000 Baht plus the cost of travel and an overnight stay in Chiang Mai. Not waisted as we took the kids to the Maesa Elephant camp and to the Zoo etc..etc. TIT.

Normal procedure is now to have the foreign marriage entered into the Thai marriage register.

One goes to your embassy to legalise the marriage certificate, have it translated into Thai and goes to the Thai Foreign Ministry to have it legalised. One than takes the papers to any amphur and your marriage abroad is registered also in Thailand. Most immigration offices now demand this procedure.

Regardingt the kids Thai birth certificate, as has been said the cost are minimal.

I suspect you can check at the amohur (any amphur?) if your wife is declared incompetent, which based on the details you gave so far would really surprise me.

A UK marriage certificate can only be legalized (legalised) in the country of origin, the UK. The best that the UK Embassy/Consulate in Thailand can do is issue an affidavit, which has been done. That affidavit, with attached UK marriage certificate, should be translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

Edited by InterestedObserver

Normal procedure is now to have the foreign marriage entered into the Thai marriage register.

One goes to your embassy to legalise the marriage certificate, have it translated into Thai and goes to the Thai Foreign Ministry to have it legalised. One than takes the papers to any amphur and your marriage abroad is registered also in Thailand. Most immigration offices now demand this procedure.

Regardingt the kids Thai birth certificate, as has been said the cost are minimal.

I suspect you can check at the amohur (any amphur?) if your wife is declared incompetent, which based on the details you gave so far would really surprise me.

When you say take your Marriage Certificate to your Embassy. Do you mean the British Embassy in Bangkok? If so do you require an appointment or do you just turn up at the Consulate Section and wait your turn? I assume that if it is a turn up and wait it takes them 1 or more days to process the document. Also can this be done at the British Consulate in Chiang Mai?... Better a 2-3 hour drive to Chiang Mai than a 10 plus hour drive to Bangkok.

Then you just take it to the Thai Forieign Ministry to have it legalised. Is that a turn up and wait and once again is this an instant stamp or a 1 or more days wait? The last question is, can this be done by post?

Take your UK Consulate stamped affidavit (affirmation letter already obtained) with attached UK marriage certificate to an approved translation service in Chiang Mia. Have them translate the affidavit along with UK marriage certificate into Thai and have them forward to the MFA for certification. There is or was a MFA legalization service in Chiang Mia at:

In Chiang Mai:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

After that you can register your marriage at any Amphur (District Office).

Edited by InterestedObserver

Take your UK Consulate stamped affidavit (affirmation letter already obtained) with attached UK marriage certificate to an approved translation service in Chiang Mia. Have them translate the affidavit along with UK marriage certificate into Thai and have them forward to the MFA for certification. There is or was a MFA legalization service in Chiang Mia at:

In Chiang Mai:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

After that you can register your marriage at any Amphur (District Office).

Thanks for the update will get this sorted A.S.A.P. Then there ius just the Thai Birth Certificates outstanding.