When A Cop Waives You To Stop, Do You?

Happysiam

So I was reading a similar post about stopping for police, in a car. So on your bike, do you stop like you should? Or do you look ahead for traffic (no traffic) and speed away? Just wondering what most people who ride bikes in Thailand do. I know its not wise, or safe not to stop, i just want to know honestly, what do you do, stop or not?:whistling:

Funny,because when I am riding with my girl, and we spot a police check , she just holds on TIGHT....:ph34r:

Do you have any funny stories? I had some friends get hit over the head (hit the helmet,as they sped away) for not stopping.....:rolleyes:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you see them prior, Go to the far side away from them and not make eye contact. Always works for me

The problem with that is, that if they see you first, they will stop traffic and walk to your lane, and get infront of you.....kamakaze style. Thank god for me1st through 3rd gear torque, a wheelie in no time!

Do you have any funny stories?

Yeah, over a dip on Viphawadee and the boys were out, I'm not pulled but a motosai taxi with no helmet nails it, comes out from behind me and just misses the cop, smacks into the side of a Honda city that was passing, rebounds across me missing my front wheel by about 3cm, regains control and nails it again cutting in front of me and across 5 lanes of traffic to get away and into a u-turn under a bridge.

That was hilarious.

And me, mostly will stop unless there's a very open road and lots of space, personally I don't think speeding/dodging under such conditions, where surprised Thais will probably be doing the same and the traffic is going to be all over the place, is really worth it so as not to lose 100 or 200 thb.

Edited by hehehoho

Do you have any funny stories?

Yeah, over a dip on Viphawadee and the boys were out, I'm not pulled but a motosai taxi with no helmet nails it, comes out from behind me and just misses the cop, smacks into the side of a Honda city that was passing, rebounds across me missing my front wheel by about 3cm, regains control and nails it again cutting in front of me and across 5 lanes of traffic to get away and into a u-turn under a bridge.

That was hilarious.

And me, mostly will stop unless there's a very open road and lots of space, personally I don't think speeding/dodging under such conditions, where surprised Thais will probably be doing the same and the traffic is going to be all over the place, is really worth it so as not to lose 100 or 200 thb.

Had friends tell me that cops swung batons, ticket books etc at them, and they have some dents in their helmets to prove it. I even heard of people getting hit on the back with something for not stopping.... but i never heard of them getting on their 200cc bikes and chasing you. I mean, i think i have seen them on my rear mirror trying to get on their bikes, but i am probably a few clicks away by the time they get it started.

If police wave at me, I smile wave back drive past.

Police very nice, very polite, always wave me.

dam_n, I didnt see it that way, now that I think about it, you are right! They always wave at me too, so nice!:lol: I wave back if i have time too....just s different type of wave!

I usually stop and speak very politely in Thai to them. They usually let me go without a fine. My friend usually stops and screams at them in English like a raving lunatic. They usually let him go too. Never donate more than 200 baht though.

Once one coming down a bridge at like 100 km/h they build up a road block. Like HappySiam said before, Kamikaze style jumping into my lane and i could bearly stop just in front of his toes. Try to image what will happen if you hit one of those monkeys, just insanity....

If theres enough space and no dangerous maneuver required i wont stop but if theres now way thourgh what you can do.

If you see them prior, Go to the far side away from them and not make eye contact. Always works for me

Then you'll get a ticket for riding in the wrong lane.

I usually pace myself behind a car if there is time.

Got slugged in the back with a baton once, i stopped, looked back then remembered he was a cop and drove off.

depends on the police, if its one or two robbers in uniform, papermask and sunglasses, as a Highwaypolice Volunteer I recommend

slow down to safe stopping speed

stop if they kamikaze, blow away if they are not within reach of you

if you stop, keep helmet and sunglasses on and do not give them drivers lisence

always have 200 baht handy, do not display a wallet or more money

when he is done talking, give the 200 baht while left hand on clutch, and go instantly, no wheelie just fast and firm up to 120 or so

a proper checkpoint, stop, provide lisence, be polite and your fine is usually 200 baht for each offence, official reciept on the spot, carte blanche for these offenses until midnight

proper checkpoint often have chasers, or radio to next checkpoint

papermask boys are on their own

I agree with katabeachbums assessment. Too many stories of police impersonators to risk it. At any rate, I always stop and have only had to pay (proper ticket, not tea money) once when I had to make an unsceduled trip to Patong and didn't have my helmet.

Police checkpoints are in interesting phenomenon. I have to wonder if one is actually required to stop at them. Judging my the lack of interest in pursuing U-turners, or as is popular at the Karon checkpoint, a handful of bikes and salors sitting 150m just waitinng out the checkpoint.

Back home the idea of a roadblock in order to check licenses, search person and vehicle would be abhorrent. You would own the cops and half the city they work in. (Not counting DUI checkpoints which are part of the agreement you sign for when you get a DL. And at those checkpoints cops can't demand ID, license or search you without cause. They can only quickly sniff for alcohol, visually asses driver for sobriety, and scan visible portions of the cars interior. Cops actually have to work to catch bad guys.)

I even heard of people getting hit on the back with something for not stopping....

Yeah, like a bullet. There was a Thai guy that was shot in the back and killed by a rookie cop for running a checkpoint a couple years ago. There are other reports of traffic cones being thrown in front bikes that try to flee.

There are unconfirmed reports of police using big bikes, possibly volunteers, possibly foreign, to chase down checkpoint runners. I look forward to seeing Tony's video again, which should be along any time. :)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Why not just stop. Unless you've done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear right (LOL, TiT)?

A few months ago, I was stopped at one of those random checkpoints as I was going to have the usual 90 day immigration office visit. Immediately, I reached for my license and my bike's papers from my backpack. I asked him in Thai what was the problem. He asked me why I did not raise the handlebars on my bike. I politely told him the bike was designed that way by experts, so they must have good reason why it is so. Why should I change it? Then he asked me if I modded my bike and I answered no (all the why while being tempted to answer back "Why? So you can extort money from me?") . Again I told him any mod will affect the bike's handling and I like the bike as it is. Then he started boasting about how he had an R1 back home and he was planning on getting a Hayabusa later this year. I answered politely that while I'd love to ride those bikes, I find it impractical to be riding one of those to work every week since they guzzle up lots of gas and my house is around 60 km from where I work. He agreed and he told that was why he was riding an old Honda Dream to work and he pointed at the blue bike right beside the booth. He then talked about wanting to get KTM Adventure or a BMW F800s. I just smiled at him and nodded as he was going on and on. Although my Thai pronunciation, I think I can converse decently in the language so never once did I answer him back in English. Finally, after 10 minutes he tells me to move along. I "wai" and say thank you, and go along my merry way, no fines, no bumps or bruises.:jap:

I wonder though, how could one lowly cop manning a checkpoint afford 800K+ bikes? B)

BTW, in case any of you are wondering I don't keep my license inside my wallet, although I keep it with my wallet.:lol:

Edited by RED21

I live in an area infamous for street racing and the police like to show a heavy presence occasionally. This doesn't help on my regular trips into town or to neighboring provinces. I often encounter multiple checkpoints just on one ride and stopping would make for an expensive journey so I simply refuse to stop. Period.

If it's not one thing, they'll get you for something else. Not riding in the left lane, speeding, loud pipes, being an 'alien'.....

You have to remember that you're not dealing with a professional police force as we understand it but an organized crime outfit. The same guys that deserted their posts, running away and leaving Bangkok at the mercy of the red shirts recently. I follow the principle of ACAB. If you're English, you'll know what that means.

A someone who is NOT a Highway Police Volunteer I recommend never stopping unless there's no way past. No if you wish to stop, wai them and generally kiss their ass etc. well, each to his own.

Even if they 'kamikaze' and jump out in front of you there's usually a way round though you may come within striking distance so a padded jacket is worthwhile.

As for the "unconfirmed reports of police using big bikes, possibly volunteers, possibly foreign, to chase down checkpoint runners", well as these pricks have no powers of arrest, what are they going to do? Point their finger at you? Use harsh language? Spit the dummy if you don't stop?

Edited by RusticCharm

So the police can't win they do their job farang complain they don't do their job farang complain I'm sure they have managed to stop and find several drug hauls with these road blocks which is obviously a good thing,as for certain police volunteers here advising people to not stop why are you working with these people if that is how you feel about them I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed with your advise given out on a public forum.

As for me never been stopped on bike stopped many times in car 2 minute friendly chat and I'm on my way and yes my truck is a shit heap and I never carry my papers maybe I just live In the wrong parts of Thailand.

Edited by taninthai

So the police can't win they do their job farang complain they don't do their job farang complain I'm sure they have managed to stop and find several drug hauls with these road blocks which is obviously a good thing,as for certain police volunteers here advising people to not stop why are you working with these people if that is how you feel about them I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed with your advise given out on a public forum.

As for me never been stopped on bike stopped many times in car 2 minute friendly chat and I'm on my way and yes my truck is a shit heap and I never carry my papers maybe I just live In the wrong parts of Thailand.

Sorry but that's a load of crap. The only time when the police 'do their job' in this country is when something is in it for them and confiscating 'drug hauls' is just a way of eliminating the competition. Reality attack needed!

Oh! And I wonder when the last drug haul was seized from someone riding a big bike? :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I do. If I can slip up beside a truck and keep out of sight until close enough to nail it I do that. In two years of riding in Thailand, I have never been stopped on my bike. Many times in my truck, but never on my bike. Even when stopped in my truck I have never had a problem other than handing over an ocassional 100-200 baht. Police have always been polite and friendly. However, I seldom go to Bangkok. ALL IN ALL, ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IN THE U.S. WHERE ALL THE COPS ARE A BUNCH OF FASCIST <deleted>.

If you are legal (helmet, no extra loud mods, papers) then it's perfectly safe in Chiang Mai to stop. They let you go. 99% of the time they don't even stop me though. US driving license seems to be fine for them too ;)

In Bangkok, it's a different story as the police will always get you for _something_. Most recently my wife got fined for "switching lanes too late" (in a car), even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with her driving.

ALL IN ALL, ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IN THE U.S. WHERE ALL THE COPS ARE A BUNCH OF FASCIST <deleted>.

Just like in Italy, bloody police state!

That's why it's automatic for me to stop when flagged down. In Italy, if you don't stop, they chase you with everything they've got or at the very least write down your numberplate...and then it's big trouble.

How is it in Thailand then. Why don't they don't just write down the registration number and send the fine home? Too much paperwork?

Within the Highwaypolice there are different employees. Some are concerned about road safety, a few are focused on scamming money.

My advice was split,

try to make a runner when someone wants to squeeze you, typically one or two men in uniform with papermask and sunglasses, but no visible ID or name tag.

Stop and be polite if it seems like a proper check point

Suggest you go back and read my post again :)

and I am not working with any money squeezers

ALL IN ALL, ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IN THE U.S. WHERE ALL THE COPS ARE A BUNCH OF FASCIST <deleted>.

Just like in Italy, bloody police state!

That's why it's automatic for me to stop when flagged down. In Italy, if you don't stop, they chase you with everything they've got or at the very least write down your numberplate...and then it's big trouble.

How is it in Thailand then. Why don't they don't just write down the registration number and send the fine home? Too much paperwork?

a proper check point they chase you down or open fire. Open fire would be due to suspected drug/gun crimes. My advice remains, stop at a proper check point

an unauthorized "check" they wait for next victim

Sorry but that's a load of crap. The only time when the police 'do their job' in this country is when something is in it for them and confiscating 'drug hauls' is just a way of eliminating the competition. Reality attack needed!

Oh! And I wonder when the last drug haul was seized from someone riding a big bike? :rolleyes:

most drug arrests are bike riders, just read up on arrest stats. However not yet seen any Ducatis or kwakers :)

Within the Highwaypolice there are different employees. Some are concerned about road safety, a few are focused on scamming money.

My advice was split,

try to make a runner when someone wants to squeeze you, typically one or two men in uniform with papermask and sunglasses, but no visible ID or name tag.

Stop and be polite if it seems like a proper check point

Suggest you go back and read my post again :)

and I am not working with any money squeezers

Read your post again and yes your advice is don't stop if you can get away with it then if you do stop give them the money and accelerate away firm and fast up to 120 again not the best advice coming from someonewho is supposed to be helping the community .

Edited by taninthai