Samsung Led Series 6 Tv Help Required

aussiebebe

I really need some help from anyone who has experience of connecting a TV to the internet.

I recently bought a Samsung 40" LED TV - a 6-series model number 6400 - I would like to hear from anyone with the same or similar model who could explain the setup issue I'm having.

I followed the instructions and set up a wired connection to my ADSL modem as the instructions state the TV doesn't require an IP router. I have successfully connected the TV to the internet but the problem is the reliability; I can't just set it up and be done with it, every time I turn on the TV I need to establish the network again and often get the error message saying 'Network Interference occurred. Please try again later'.

I have True Internet 7Mbps with a WiFi router, very happy with the service, no problems getting online with my laptop. I called True and agreed with their stance that it's up to me to figure out how. I returned to the Samsung Dealership and they suggested the Samsung helpline which I called to no avail.

Do I need to buy an IP router - could anyone make any further suggestions or explain how they did it?

Cheers

Edited by aussiebebe

What do the settings require?

Are you assigning a fixed ip address eg 192.168.1.xxx

or relying on the router to give the address through dhcp?

There may be a conflict and the cause of your problems.

Hi, thanks for the reply - the IP address 'icon' on the TV menu has Auto or Manual. I left it on Auto, so yes I'm relying on the router to give the IP address. I barely understand any of this and really bit off more than I can chew with this TV. The TV can connect to the network, but not the internet - well sometimes it can, it's hit and miss. What's the solution to this? I'd appreciate any suggestions you could make. All I can say if after so much on a TV, Samsung after-sales leaves a lot to be desired!

For once, even the mighty Google has failed me - I can't find anything about this online

I also have a samsung series 6 tv. I have mine connected to my lan using a router.

From your first post it sounds like you have your TV directly connected to your True modem. Does your True modem only have one port?

Also do you want to watch movies from your computer to the TV, if so you will need Samsung PC share manager available as a download from Samsung.

let me know if you want more information.

The TV can connect to the network, but not the internet - well sometimes it can, it's hit and miss.

I would try setting up the IP addresses manually on the TV and give the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8) as one of the options. Just pick an IP address for the TV that is in the subnet but well out of the normal DHCP range.

For example:

Assuming that the router is 192.168.0.1

TV 192.168.0.200

DNS1 8.8.8.8

DNS2 192.168.0.1

Gateway 192.168.0.1

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Do not alter any router settings unless you know what you are doing.

Edited by Darrel

I also have a samsung series 6 tv. I have mine connected to my lan using a router.

From your first post it sounds like you have your TV directly connected to your True modem. Does your True modem only have one port?

Also do you want to watch movies from your computer to the TV, if so you will need Samsung PC share manager available as a download from Samsung.

let me know if you want more information.

That's helpful thanks. I followed the instructions which state 'The modem can be connected to the TV without an IP router'. My True modem has only one port so I connected the TV to that. I get online with my laptop using the Wi-fi. Following your advice will I have to buy a router? As it is, my network is shown on the TV as a source but there's no connectivity. I'd appreciate information on the download you highlighted.

The main gripe I have is that I chose the 6400 model whereas the 6600 - just a few thousand baht extra - has built-in Wi-fi, Skype and an internet browser. No-one bothered to explain this to me, of course, and I didn't understand the options when I bought. Annoyingly, the 6400 model therefore requires a USB network adaptor. Samsung is so cryptic - I can't even fathom the differences between series 6,7,8, but that's another matter.

I followed the instructions which state 'The modem can be connected to the TV without an IP router'. My True modem has only one port so I connected the TV to that. I get online with my laptop using the Wi-fi. Following your advice will I have to buy a router? As it is, my network is shown on the TV as a source but there's no connectivity.

If you were more specific about your equipment it would be easier to know what to do.

Do you have a modem or (as it seems) a modem/router? (Hint: if it is one box with both wifi and an ethernet connection then it is a modem/router with a single WAN port.) If you do have a modem/router then you dont need a second router.

Try turning off the wifi on your laptop and connecting an ethernet cable between the router and the laptop. Can you still connect to the internet? If so there is nothing wrong with your modem/router and the problem is probably with the TV or the network settings in the TV. If your laptop doesnt connect to the internet that way either then there is something amiss with the modem/router.

Annoyingly, the 6400 model therefore requires a USB network adaptor.

Are you saying that you are using some sort of USB network adaptor on the TV instead of just plugging an ethernet cable from the router directly into a network socket on the TV?

Or are you saying that you could use a wireless USB network adaptor as described on page 27 of this:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201012/20101215194626181/%5BPC6500_XU%5DBN68-02807J-04Eng-1215.pdf

Edited by Darrel

As astral has said sounds like you have a network ip conflict. You need to manually input the details into your laptop or the TV. Your True modem/wifi router is all you need if you have one ethernet port for the TV.

Are you using win 7 or XP?

You are also better off to use ethernet for the TV than using a Samsung USB network adapter.

I use a WDTV live media player rather than using Samsung PC share manager as using pc share manager won't play audio for DTS.

Although if you plug in an external USB hard drive plays anything.

I hope i haven't confused you but I found this TV a bit tricky to set up too.

HD movies played on the TV, the picture quality is awesome

Edited by sammycic

I followed the instructions which state 'The modem can be connected to the TV without an IP router'. My True modem has only one port so I connected the TV to that. I get online with my laptop using the Wi-fi. Following your advice will I have to buy a router? As it is, my network is shown on the TV as a source but there's no connectivity.

If you were more specific about your equipment it would be easier to know what to do.

Do you have a modem or (as it seems) a modem/router? (Hint: if it is one box with both wifi and an ethernet connection then it is a modem/router with a single WAN port.) If you do have a modem/router then you dont need a second router.

Try turning off the wifi on your laptop and connecting an ethernet cable between the router and the laptop. Can you still connect to the internet? If so there is nothing wrong with your modem/router and the problem is probably with the TV or the network settings in the TV. If your laptop doesnt connect to the internet that way either then there is something amiss with the modem/router.

Thanks for explaining everying in layman terms - I'm not using a USB Wireless adaptor, I have a '1 port ZyXel WIFI v!' modem/router, it has the aerial and a yellow Ethernet port on the rear. When I turn off my laptop's wifi and connected to the modem with the ethernet cable, there is internet connection without any problems. The problem is when I plug the ethernet cable into the TV's ethernet port. It can connect to the network and usually not to the internet, saying there is an IP conflict. When I connect it does it automatically, but there is a manual option to input - could anyone suggest where it get this information from? I really don't know what I'm doing with IP,subnet, DNS etc, how do I find out what number the router is? Thanks

OK. It sounds like you definitely need the manual IP settings which I gave in an earlier post.

The only thing that may need modifying is the base address: 192.168.0.1 is fairly standard but it could also be 192.168.1.1 or something else depending on your router.

You can find out what the router is using by checking the IP settings on your PC. Just adjust the first three groups of numbers to match whatever your PC has.

Thanks, great advice, it works. Many thanks for taking the time to explain all that. I was able to follow the instructions in that video to find and enter in the details for IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway and DNS server (same as Gateway). I don't understand how I was supposed to know how to do this from the sparse Samsung instructions, and I feel let down by their idea of customer care, but 'Caveat emptor', as expats say in Thailand.

Cheers

My pleasure.

In Samsung's defence the "auto" setting (ie DHCP) will work fine in nearly every case. Just the odd one when it doesnt.

The big disadvantage of manual settings is that if you change routers you may need to change the TV settings to match, and the slightest error in the manual config will stop it from working at all. This is probably why Samsung dont pursue it too much. It's there if you need it though.

DNS server (same as Gateway)

Personally I would prefer Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 as mentioned previously. It is probably a bit more reliable for addresses outside Thailand (which is probably where most of your TV internet data will come from).

A few months ago, I bought a Samsung LCD TV 46" C650 6 series and experienced similar frustration connecting it to the internet via an ethernet cable to the router. True technical support tried changing IP addresses and settings but that did not work. My solution was to change the ADSL router from the 1 port Zyxel to the multiport Zyxel P 660HW-T1 v2. In my case, True changed this ADSL router for free. Cheers, SD

Edited by Spinning Dwarf