Ford Ranger

Hi,

I have been looking at the Ford Ranger as a new vehicle to replace an 80's Nissan :)

Would like to hear from anyone who owns a recent model Ranger and has any opinion (good or bad).

Ford are obviously trying to clear their stock before the release of the new Ranger later this year, therefore they are offering 0% finance and being quite generous on the accessories.

My preference is the 2.5 ltr Open Cab High Rider XLT, apart from passenger airbag it seems to have everything that the other more expensive models have. WildTrak is 50k more for a few extras and 18inch wheels. By the time they have added on all the extras for free, pretty much got a WildTrak anyway !!

Be nice to have some of your views. I have test driven a lot of pick ups lately and the Ford seems to be a fair package overall.

Thanks

Why don't you want to wait for the new T6 Ranger?

On something like an open cab hi-rider XLT, the difference between 0% finance and 2.25% finance with 25% down is about 1000 Baht/month, which if you travel 2000KM/mth or more would likely be equalized by the improved fuel effeciency of the new model with it's 2.2L engine and 6-speed transmission..

Don't want to wait for the New Ranger as I need a vehicle now.

Plus I don't need the newest version just to be seen in it..

All I want is a reliable car that does exactly what it is supposed to. I don't do massive amount of mileage, maybe 15k a year and hardly every off road apart from the occasional trip into the plantation with some fertilizer :) Which I can handle in 2WD..

Was hoping for some feedback on reliability and build quality as I have never owned a Ford in my life !!

I personally believe the current Ranger is a good thing for what it is, keep in mind it is at the end of its lifestyle so it is fairly well refined, I would have no issues purchasing one if I was in the market.

timely question mate...hope you get some feedback...in exactly same position as you...also considering the Mazda BT50 ..seems to have a bit better finish although don't know about purchase deals..

david

I personally believe the current Ranger is a good thing for what it is, keep in mind it is at the end of its lifestyle so it is fairly well refined, I would have no issues purchasing one if I was in the market.

agreed, reliable, well proven, floorplan and frame/chassie is from early80s and handling accordingly, not heard about any engine issues, expect a huge loss in value in short and long term

If you need it now and you like it, get it :)

Just a quick up date...

Ford Phuket, not very pro active in the sales department. Been 3 days now and the sales guy has not bothered to call back to let me know about availability !! Plus he was a bit cautious about what they would throw in for accessories..

Called Ford in Bangkok and without negotiating was offered the vehicle we want at 0% interest plus 20k discount, free 5 year service plan and all the accessories they have..

I guess the competition in Bangkok is a bit more than in Phuket :)

Lets hope the Ranger delivers....

I'm sure you'll be happy.

We have the 4x4 with the 3.0Tdi, 4 years old 73,000km. I find it a nice quiet drive for a 4 pot oil-burner, no excessive road noise from the stock Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts (I think the 2wd comes with H/Ts which will be even quieter).

ABS seems a bit enthusiastic, I can get it active on dry pavement without trying too hard, but still totally predictable.

Had to replace the prop-shaft centre-bearing at 60,000km as it had gotten noisy (the replacement had less vibration, so I suspect it had been iffy for a while) apart from that 100% reliable :)

Just a quick up date...

Ford Phuket, not very pro active in the sales department. Been 3 days now and the sales guy has not bothered to call back to let me know about availability !! Plus he was a bit cautious about what they would throw in for accessories..

Called Ford in Bangkok and without negotiating was offered the vehicle we want at 0% interest plus 20k discount, free 5 year service plan and all the accessories they have..

I guess the competition in Bangkok is a bit more than in Phuket :)

Lets hope the Ranger delivers....

Send me a PM if you want a Ford Phuket sales girl knowing her job. Her english isnt much to brag about, but otherwise she makes things happen

Have two 4 door Wildtraks, automatic, they have about 40'000'k now, but excellent trucks. TWildtrak is the only one model which looks at least a little bit american, not the boring japanese style. Never had any problem with them, exept i had to do wheel agliment when we bought it new. Ford Comopanjy wasn't very helpful, when i complained the wheels are misagliment from new. So finally i done the wheelagliment in some tireshop. A part of that i never had any problem at all.

Just saw the new Ford Rangers today that are due out in October. I know you said you can't wait, but it is a beauty. I have never liked Ford trucks, but this one is completely redesigned. I also had the chance to inspect the new Mazda pickup, since they are built at the same factory. They are almost identical, but both are very nice, but much larger than the current trucks. About the size of the Toyota Hilux. Awesome interior, completely new, all new modern conveniences. The 4 door is big, great aggressive stance, and the front end is awesome. They both remind me of the new Chevy Colorado also due in October. I have spent a couple of hours around all three, and really am impressed with the look of all of them, but give the edge to the Chevy. Also, I don't have exact measurements, but both the Mazda and Ford 4 doors seem to have a longer bed than the current 4 door pickups available here in Thailand. My gripe about trucks here is no available beds except a short one in combination with 4 doors. These 2 new models may change that.

Just saw the new Ford Rangers today that are due out in October. I know you said you can't wait, but it is a beauty. I have never liked Ford trucks, but this one is completely redesigned. I also had the chance to inspect the new Mazda pickup, since they are built at the same factory. They are almost identical, but both are very nice, but much larger than the current trucks. About the size of the Toyota Hilux. Awesome interior, completely new, all new modern conveniences. The 4 door is big, great aggressive stance, and the front end is awesome. They both remind me of the new Chevy Colorado also due in October. I have spent a couple of hours around all three, and really am impressed with the look of all of them, but give the edge to the Chevy. Also, I don't have exact measurements, but both the Mazda and Ford 4 doors seem to have a longer bed than the current 4 door pickups available here in Thailand. My gripe about trucks here is no available beds except a short one in combination with 4 doors. These 2 new models may change that.

New Rangers bed 150cm long as is Vigo, Navara, 2011 Triton, all 4 doors. Just long enough to carry my bikes with open hatch :)

post-81971-0-93285000-1310811774_thumb.j

I am enjoying my second Ford Ranger (4x4, 2.5L Turbo manual with four doors) and my next car will be a Ford Ranger again. Having said that - forget about Top Charoen's branch in Pattaya (official Ford dealer) where I purchased the car. They fxxxxd up almost each and every service, tried to sell me expired (new) tires, do not accept credit cards ABOVE THB 10'000; simply inacceptable.I use Ford Rayong now or Ford Bangkok (Rama IV); very happy with both and as I am in either city anyhow from time to time I live with this inconvenience because I am very happy with the car as such. Ensure only dealership servicing; it helps a lot when you want to sell the car onwards (as in my case with the first car).

I am enjoying my second Ford Ranger (4x4, 2.5L Turbo manual with four doors) and my next car will be a Ford Ranger again. Having said that - forget about Top Charoen's branch in Pattaya (official Ford dealer) where I purchased the car. They fxxxxd up almost each and every service, tried to sell me expired (new) tires, do not accept credit cards ABOVE THB 10'000; simply inacceptable.

Iam not surprised you had dodgy dealings getting your car serviced at an optical centre, maybe try Ford Top Car instead, and they do accept credit cards for purchases above 10,000b.

I am enjoying my second Ford Ranger (4x4, 2.5L Turbo manual with four doors) and my next car will be a Ford Ranger again. Having said that - forget about Top Charoen's branch in Pattaya (official Ford dealer) where I purchased the car. They fxxxxd up almost each and every service, tried to sell me expired (new) tires, do not accept credit cards ABOVE THB 10'000; simply inacceptable.

Iam not surprised you had dodgy dealings getting your car serviced at an optical centre, maybe try Ford Top Car instead, and they do accept credit cards for purchases above 10,000b.

hahahahahahaha LMAO :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Cornishcarlos...I just got an '05 XLT Hi-Rider Ranger, yes it's low-geared, resulting in a bit less Km/L consumption, but I got a good sound truck that drives well for a full £3000 cheaper than similar age Isuzu's or Toyota's that I checked on (2 months on, & those pick-ups I looked at are still on the forecourts for sale & dealer won't drop price..T.I.T.)

The Ranger model I got is well under-geared..only showing 80km/hr on speedo at 2000rpm (Vigo will show 90/95)...but if ya not doin big milage then it's fine, plus now I'm used to the truck... when needing to overtake I have no need to change to 4th if behind a slowish vehicle..the roll-on in 5th will power you by the car in front no problem (Vigo will bog in 5th if you try do the same).

At 6yrs old my truck still feels like new when I'm in it...not bad that.. B)

agreed, reliable, well proven, floorplan and frame/chassie is from early80s and handling accordingly, not heard about any engine issues, expect a huge loss in value in short and long term

And that huge loss in value is exactly it.. I appreciate that the OP doesn't get a car just to be seen in it, but unfortunately the rest of the world does.

So the question becomes, when not bothering to wait for the new model: why not make that big loss work in your favor and buy it second hand? You can save yourself 200,000 baht for no appreciable difference in the product you're getting.