Chickens Have Stopped Laying.

oldgit

Lads

I have 500 Rhode Island Reds which,bang on time,started laying eggs at five months old.We were getting 450 eggs a day on average.However,just two months later,the number has dropped to about 120 per day.Is it a seasonal thing or are we doing something wrong all of a sudden?Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

That is a pretty drastic drop and when I looked after the same in the UK never had a drop like that, are they getting enough grit, are any of them starting to eat the other eggs do you think? Have they been badly upset or frightened?......that is about all I can think of at the moment.

That is a pretty drastic drop and when I looked after the same in the UK never had a drop like that, are they getting enough grit, are any of them starting to eat the other eggs do you think? Have they been badly upset or frightened?......that is about all I can think of at the moment.

Unfortunately,I'm only getting the information second hand as I'm in England at the moment and won't be back until next month.They are still getting the recommended adult food from the supplier and the thought did cross my mind that our dog,who we started to take to the chicken house,as it's out in the middle of nowhere,might be the problem,but the missus is adamant that she's as quiet as a dormouse.

If the food and water are as regular as before, and the chickens are not spooked, there is enough grit (although this would usually show with soft skinned eggs not shelled) then I would hazzard a guess that some creature has found the place, which may in turn be spooking the chickens, but something is going with your eggs. The only other possibility is that they have gone into moult but it seems too early in the cycle.

If the food and water are as regular as before, and the chickens are not spooked, there is enough grit (although this would usually show with soft skinned eggs not shelled) then I would hazzard a guess that some creature has found the place, which may in turn be spooking the chickens, but something is going with your eggs. The only other possibility is that they have gone into moult but it seems too early in the cycle.

Thanks for your interest and advice,mate.Moulting could be the answer but how often does that happen in Thailand?

Thanks for your interest and advice,mate.Moulting could be the answer but how often does that happen in Thailand?

In the Uk if I recall correctly about a year into laying they would have the first moult, easy to tell if this is the case they will be looking quite ropey and feathers will be looking bedraggled and dropping out.In the UK we brought in new 20-25 week POL every year when they tailed off. In Thailand I do not know how often they moult.

One other check is to be sure they are not pecking feathers out around the egg laying area, this can be stressful and open raw wounds eventually killing the bird, yep chickens will eat their own eggs but will also ruthelessly eat each other!!

Ok I'll leave you to those more informed than I to size up your problem - good luck

Unfortunately,I'm only getting the information second hand as I'm in England at the moment and won't be back until next month.They are still getting the recommended adult food from the supplier and the thought did cross my mind that our dog,who we started to take to the chicken house,as it's out in the middle of nowhere,might be the problem,but the missus is adamant that she's as quiet as a dormouse.

Okay, so you have considered the chickens or the dog, might be your problem. Have you considered humans yet ??.

Seeing as you mention, the chicken house is in the middle of nowhere.

From what I hear, things that are not locked down in the countryside, have a tendency to be borrowed.

The reduction in egg count with consistent weather that we have been having, leads me to agree with jombom. Some enterprising little neighbor comes in on motorcycle and 20 to 30 dozen and go to market. Tell wife to check at daylight, she may want to take a friend with her, other than the dog.

Global warming I'm sure. lol

That's a lot of eggs for a dog to consume... Same for a snake or other wild animal. The culprit is probably one of your neighbors or helpers. If you check them daily, see if there is a pattern when a lot are missing on a certain day. Chances are if it is a neighbor they would not visit you daily. A helper, on the other hand, could be putting some away daily. Good luck.

The simple solution is to have someone camp out very nearby and very consspicuously just in case there are humans involved so you won't have a confrontation by someone turning up unexpectedly and being caught in the act. They will someone there monitoring the birds and hopefullynot bother anyone or thing. A tent a battery operated light and a campfire so everyone from a long way off knows there is a human near the coop (nothing to scare the birds though hopefully). You could have a check every couple of three hours if you thought that was necessary but really a person being there to observe no one entering the coop is all that is necessary and then youw will notice if this 60% reduction is in fact due to the birds or an outside human source. How secure is your coop to big and small and human intruders?

The simple solution is to have someone camp out very nearby and very consspicuously just in case there are humans involved so you won't have a confrontation by someone turning up unexpectedly and being caught in the act. They will someone there monitoring the birds and hopefullynot bother anyone or thing. A tent a battery operated light and a campfire so everyone from a long way off knows there is a human near the coop (nothing to scare the birds though hopefully). You could have a check every couple of three hours if you thought that was necessary but really a person being there to observe no one entering the coop is all that is necessary and then youw will notice if this 60% reduction is in fact due to the birds or an outside human source. How secure is your coop to big and small and human intruders?

Thanks lads.It seems like the general consensus is skullduggery.It's true that it's very difficult to have constant surveillance as the chicken house (22 metres long x 5.25 metres wide,bamboo construction) is about 40 mins. away from the house and is on the edge of our rice fields.My missus,son and daughter in law spend most nights bedded down there but I take your point that someone could nip in at daybreak to steal the eggs.Why not nab the lot,though?I'm back next month so I'll see for myself what can be done.

It only requires a trusted family member to camp at the chicken shed for a 24 hour period to ascertain whether it is a case of pilfering or not.

If the rate of lay comes back up for that period ,you have your answer ,if not the drop off could be due to a multitude of reasons,one of the most common is a disruption to their water supply, (it only takes withholding water for 24 hours to put chickens into a forced moult).

Hi Old Git,

hope UK is not to viscious on your pocket, Just wondering, Who usually feeds the coopies, its not usually a thai habit to feed animals, perhaps somebody forgot?

Just a thought mate, Cheers, Lickey.

Unfortunately,I'm only getting the information second hand as I'm in England at the moment

No worries, i am sure production will magically go back as before as soon as you go back there....nothing new. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately,I'm only getting the information second hand as I'm in England at the moment

No worries, i am sure production will magically go back as before as soon as you go back there....nothing new. :lol:

Any updates on what was causing the problem ??

OP should be back at this stage.

+1

Definitely Grand Theft EGGS !

I build a quarter for a night guard then when i was farming 3000 RIR.

Don't know if 500 is worthy in term of P&L ? How much would you pay for monthly night duty ?

Edited by RedBullHorn

HI

he is back. so can we have a update?

or is he sleeping with the chickens.

We have 22 ducks and eggs for our home plus the hangers on, and my

wife still gets 80-100 for eggs on most days.

which means more bt left for chang?:burp::clap2:

We Have 20 laying hens that give us an average of 16 eggs per day and are going on to a year that they have been laying, We noticed a slight drop in egg production of about two eggs per day, in the last month.

a couple of months is two soon for your hens to stop laying, I agree with the posters that say some one is helping themselves to your eggs, the drop in your eggs production can not be attributed to, snakes, dogs, etc. If anything outside is responsible for your egg loss ,that would mean someone is stealing them!

Your loss is a substantial one, you would be better off by hiring some one for 200 baht per night to sleep at your chicken coops to protect your investment.

Good luck ,:)

If your in England you never know about what there being fed, sorry but to save a few pounds a sack of rice bran for a hundred baht or a bag of layers for 420 the Thai People love to cut a corner, I dont know if this is the case here but just another idea. This will put them off lay very fast and take a few weeks to put right again.