New Toyota Hilux Vigo Champ

Sadly, they have not increased power across the range as far as I can see. 3.0 is still 163PS and 343 nm, although

How much power does one really need on a truck? I think it's just crazy, they're playing this arms race with horsepower and maximum speed, in a country where few roads are suitable to going much faster than 80-100kmh, in vehicles that don't really have the brakes or suspension for high speeds, especially not with any kind of load in them.

It'd be nice to see much better fuel economy figures, and also CNG versions. That's what I'd be waiting for, not an extra helping of another 10 or 20 HP that you never use, but struggling to make even 10 kms to the liter.

(Note that torque is different, I'll get to that next)

The Hilux makes 163HP max, and 343Nm torque from 1400-3200 RPM, the 2011 Triton Plus 4-door makes 178HP, and 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM.

Doesn't matter how you try to cut it, the 2011 Triton is simply more powerful than VIGO - it's not a huge margin, but

LOL, What?! :blink: I read the exact same line and the only thing I thought was: "Jesus, Triton needs 1800 revs before things start happening." I think for a truck, and especially for an off-road 4WD truck, that's completely unacceptable.

All : IT'S A TRUCK! And torque is king. These trucks may very well hit an insane 200HP in the near future, but when you have to rev to 2000 rpm to get meaningful torque and you're up a steep mountain slope in the mud then you're truly up shits creek with a 10 ton steam engine. And no paddle.

At our local Toyota dealer yesterday and considering the shortage of pickup trucks after the Tsunami in Japan our dealership was crawling in 'Champs'.

Must have had a recent big delivery as most of the models were there.

Yeah, big delivery from down the road. ;) They're made in Thailand, not Japan.

This one likes to be on cruisecontrol at 160kmh which is a relaxing 3.000rpm on engine. It brakes from 100-0kmh in 43 meters. Drving Thai Highways we average 110-120kmh

At 1400rpm it has more tourque than most V8 and V10 gasoline engines, and uses 1/3 of the fuel at the speeds above

post-81971-0-49425300-1311752584_thumb.j

CNG versions are available for those who want, so are smaller engines with similar tourque but less hp and better milage

My next pickup will have more hp, more tourque, same cruisingspeed but safer overtaking

Toyotas are made in Thailand from mainly Thai made parts, but some parts still come from japan thus factories have been closed for a while

This one likes to be on cruisecontrol at 160kmh which is a relaxing 3.000rpm on engine. It brakes from 100-0kmh in 43 meters. Drving Thai Highways we average 110-120kmh

At 1400rpm it has more tourque than most V8 and V10 gasoline engines, and uses 1/3 of the fuel at the speeds above

post-81971-0-49425300-1311752584_thumb.j

I read of some posters here doing 160 kmh or more on the Thai highways (not referring to you, I understand you are commenting that the vehicle can cruise at 160 comfortable but not that you are doing those speeds yourself). I find it extremely criminal to be travelling at those speeds on Thai highways, posing a real danger not only to themselves but to other road users as well. I've recently been doing a lot of driving up and down country and the roads are absolutely not made for high speeds. The U-turns are a potential area for a pile up. Warning signs of road works etc are non-existent. Any speed in excess of 120 kmh is in my mind too high on Thai roads.

LOL, What?! :blink: I read the exact same line and the only thing I thought was: "Jesus, Triton needs 1800 revs before things start happening." I think for a truck, and especially for an off-road 4WD truck, that's completely unacceptable.

All : IT'S A TRUCK! And torque is king. These trucks may very well hit an insane 200HP in the near future, but when you have to rev to 2000 rpm to get meaningful torque and you're up a steep mountain slope in the mud then you're truly up shits creek with a 10 ton steam engine. And no paddle.

Sorry, should have pointed out that the 2011 Triton Plus is making 340Nm at 1400 RPM, but flat-peaks at 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM.

And yes, torque matters most when loaded, but more HP is always welcome ;)

At our local Toyota dealer yesterday and considering the shortage of pickup trucks after the Tsunami in Japan our dealership was crawling in 'Champs'.

Must have had a recent big delivery as most of the models were there.

I looked over the new auto 4 door Prerunner 3L, and with the changes mentioned earlier in this topic, I noticed it had new type of alloy wheel, different rear light cluster and a camera on the tail gate.

Inside the seat colour/trim was a blue/black colour. The controls for air conditioning new style and a small monitor fitted. There were some buttons on the steering wheel too.

It has nifty 'vn turbo' badges on the front doors. At least not as bad as the current Nissan Navara's with heaps of writing on the doors!.

This auto Prerunner had a price sticker for 896,000 B on it.

Some 7 weeks ago now I took delivery of an auto Vigo 3L double cab that was ordered in February.

Its a good truck and have no complaints so far, if I had known about the 'champ' & the auto Prerunner despite the increase in price I would have considered it.

I now have the word 'chump' stuck on the back of our truck.

ph34r.gif

Made me smile.Toyota Chump, more fitting for Tuna Drivers. Look at the Ford side badge, it reads BANGER in some lights.I see MU7 is called PRIMO,after the Clown !.Toyota noticed the Tiger transfer read DIGGER, better suited for Ozzie's and changed it. Yarris is to near Brit slang for Arse. Ive even seen a M/Cycle named after a shit house.A Khahzi, or something near enough to put you off.Whats the price jump for?, not another ALL NEW FORD RANGER trick, and that still looks like a 30 Year.Old English P100 with plastic warts stuck on. Gold Honesty Award goes to Mitsu, when they announced the Triton, you didnt need a Microscope to spot the difference.:D

Made me smile.Toyota Chump, more fitting for Tuna Drivers. Look at the Ford side badge, it reads BANGER in some lights.I see MU7 is called PRIMO,after the Clown !.Toyota noticed the Tiger transfer read DIGGER, better suited for Ozzie's and changed it. Yarris is to near Brit slang for Arse. Ive even seen a M/Cycle named after a shit house.A Khahzi, or something near enough to put you off.Whats the price jump for?, not another ALL NEW FORD RANGER trick, and that still looks like a 30 Year.Old English P100 with plastic warts stuck on. Gold Honesty Award goes to Mitsu, when they announced the Triton, you didnt need a Microscope to spot the difference.:D

You missed the Ford Ranger's "Rear Access System" - no dislexia required to have a good old laugh at that one, 555 :D

While we're at it, does anyone remember the Isuzu "Dragon Eyes"? Even now the name still conjours up visions of a Thai GF well past her use-by date. Was followed up by the "Dragon Power", just to prove once and for all who really wears the pants when it comes to vehicle buying decisions :P

:D

While we're at it, does anyone remember the Isuzu "Dragon Eyes"? Even now the name still conjours up visions of a Thai GF well past her use-by date. Was followed up by the "Dragon Power", just to prove once and for all who really wears the pants when it comes to vehicle buying decisions :P

Hondas Fit/Fitta is still the best one, Fitta meaning p-ssy in a few languages. Renamed Jazz :)

Hondas Fit/Fitta is still the best one, Fitta meaning p-ssy in a few languages. Renamed Jazz :)

And poor old Honda Fred, it looks like a Flintstone ride.And the Unfortunate.;)

This one likes to be on cruisecontrol at 160kmh. My next pickup will have more hp, more tourque, same cruisingspeed but safer overtaking

kata. Are you for real? :blink:

I'll stick my hand up and say that 160km/hr is not unsafe/unreasonable on some very specific roads in Thailand - in fact in some areas that's just fitting in with the (sparse) traffic you're sharing the road with.

This one likes to be on cruisecontrol at 160kmh. My next pickup will have more hp, more tourque, same cruisingspeed but safer overtaking

I'll stick my hand up and say that 160km/hr is not unsafe/unreasonable on some very specific roads in Thailand - in fact in some areas that's just fitting in with the (sparse) traffic you're sharing the road with.

Can you name one? That is where you can set your cruisecontrol at that speed. I doubt that setting the cruisecontrol at 160 is possible. But what do I know? How about starting your trip some 15 minutes earlier and driving, lets say at 100 km/hr. You will probably arrive at the same time. :rolleyes:

Can you name one? That is where you can set your cruisecontrol at that speed. I doubt that setting the cruisecontrol at 160 is possible. But what do I know? How about starting your trip some 15 minutes earlier and driving, lets say at 100 km/hr. You will probably arrive at the same time. :rolleyes:

Sure thing..

#11 - Between Phitsanulok and Uttaradit is difficult to not drive fast.

#304 - between Wang Nam Khiao and Pak Thing Chai has some good sections.

#2 - Many places between Nakorn Ratchasima and Nong Khai where driving fast is plenrty safe. Many that are not too of course.

#7 - Between BKK and Pattaya in late evening/early morning, except for the infmaous 'humps' zone.

#1- Between BKK and Lampang, and again approaching Chiang rai has many safe high-speed sections.

#4 - Between BKK and Hua Hin has some safe high speed sections.

etc

Hurry, i like to get home, when you work here its just normal safe driving.You can do 220 at certain times,and still be safe in a precision vehicle.Have you ever seen a VIP Buss doing under 110, or driven here 2500 per week, then your perspective of whats safe differs from Lotus Shop Hoppers., they are a menace at any speed. At MRO #7. ive tried to jump there at 150 MPH,{Lambo}..nearly.. not quite. Theres hundreds of safe places let fly,just Dogs to watch for,rainy nights are best, no Growlers. :jap:

Sure thing..

#11 - Between Phitsanulok and Uttaradit is difficult to not drive fast.

#304 - between Wang Nam Khiao and Pak Thing Chai has some good sections.

#2 - Many places between Nakorn Ratchasima and Nong Khai where driving fast is plenrty safe. Many that are not too of course.

#7 - Between BKK and Pattaya in late evening/early morning, except for the infmaous 'humps' zone.

#1- Between BKK and Lampang, and again approaching Chiang rai has many safe high-speed sections.

#4 - Between BKK and Hua Hin has some safe high speed sections.

etc

There is a 100 kilo stretch or so between Krabi and Surat Thani area that is very new, very straight, and if memory serves, is 4 land divided in both directions...perfect for the cruise control. I found it by accident once when returning to Pattaya from Phuket :)

Well, my idea was: what's the hurry? :unsure:

Well, I can'tspeak for everyone, only myself..

I'm not talking about daily commuting speeds, but rather interstate travel (around town I'd rarely get above 100). I'm talking about cruising speeds on the open highway - i.e. only places where you can do higher speeds safely and comfortably for all - it's not about racing or trying to drive faster, just driving to suit the conditions.

On longer drives, by cruising at higher speeds when safe/appropriate, you can easily take 2-3 hours off what might otherwise be a 10-12 hour drive - and at those durations the saving you'll make is the difference between doing the drive completely alert the whole way, or risking being drowsy/asleep at the wheel for the final stretch.

I supoose it could also be related to what you've been conditioned to. Brtitish and Amercans have been taught that 70mph (113km/hr) is the safest top speed anyone can drive. Aussies have been taught that the max. safe speed anyone can drive is 110km/hr, and stand to lose their license or even serve a jail term for doing just 150. But get over to Germany and you'll find many places where you'd be considered a nuisance for holding up traffic at those types of speeds (avg. speeds on unrestricted autobahns are in the 140's) .

I'm not for one moment suggesting anyone else should drive at these kinds of speed though. Always drive to suit the conditions (road, traffic and weather), and most importantly, always within the abilities of both you as a driver, and your vehicle.

Sorry, should have pointed out that the 2011 Triton Plus is making 340Nm at 1400 RPM, but flat-peaks at 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM.

And yes, torque matters most when loaded, but more HP is always welcome ;)

I can't tell you how re-assuring that is, as someone who has driven a Ford Ranger, theold 2500 turbo. :sick:;)

BTW, I'm usually struggling to find a toqrue curve for current pick-up models. Does anyone have a link to this information for current pick-up models? I don't ever want to end up with an engine like the Ford 2500 turbo again. ;)

Have you seen the Chump Billboards.Are they stereotyping a Chump Driver.?,A Scruffy Ferang, in need of a shave.He looks like a younger Rab C Nesbitt. If Stereotyping is Toyotas new way to go,we can expect Boss Hog to launch the next Fortuna.:D

yep :D

safe speed depends on driver, vehicle and road conditions including other traffic

as an ex rally driver and test driver for a car manufactorer, used to drive on crappy snow and ice covered roads half the year, I may be above average on high speed skills

With my 2004 and 2006 Vigos or my 2005 Fortuner I could not safely cruise 160kmh, and thus Phuket Hua Hin took me 7 hours. With my 2007 Camry and 2008 Accord and 2010 Vigo I can/could, making the trip down to 5,5-6 hours. Done this trip more than 100 (onehundred) times. Same speeds Hua Hin- Nong Kai.

I have tried to maintain 180kmh speeds on cruisecontrol, but it takes too many hard brakings, so I have settled for 160kmh on most roads

I am not bragging. Not asking anyone to do the same unless they are very aware of what they are doing.

Its just that when someone says its impossible, I say its routine. For me.

I am very safety concerned. Choose my vehicle accordingly. Large waterbottels are banned, max 0,5 liter in plastic bottles in cup holders. Glassbottles banned. Any loose object in cabin banned. Load strapped and secured. My Gf thinks I am paranoid, so do other passengers. Been like this for +30 years. Prepare to avoid accidents, prepare to crash, and you will not :)

have I ever crashed. Yes. We where paid to push vehicles until they flipped or took off,

Sorry, we are off topic, back to the new Vigo Chump :)

I'm not talking about daily commuting speeds, but rather interstate travel (around town I'd rarely get above 100). I'm talking about cruising speeds on the open highway - i.e. only places where you can do higher speeds safely and comfortably for all - it's not about racing or trying to drive faster, just driving to suit the conditions.

On longer drives, by cruising at higher speeds when safe/appropriate, you can easily take 2-3 hours off what might otherwise be a 10-12 hour drive - and at those durations the saving you'll make is the difference between doing the drive completely alert the whole way, or risking being drowsy/asleep at the wheel for the final stretch.

I supoose it could also be related to what you've been conditioned to. Brtitish and Amercans have been taught that 70mph (113km/hr) is the safest top speed anyone can drive. Aussies have been taught that the max. safe speed anyone can drive is 110km/hr, and stand to lose their license or even serve a jail term for doing just 150. But get over to Germany and you'll find many places where you'd be considered a nuisance for holding up traffic at those types of speeds (avg. speeds on unrestricted autobahns are in the 140's) .

I'm not for one moment suggesting anyone else should drive at these kinds of speed though. Always drive to suit the conditions (road, traffic and weather), and most importantly, always within the abilities of both you as a driver, and your vehicle.

Yes, I agree with the principle that one should drive at speeds that keep up with the flow of traffic as holding up traffic is more dangerous. I got pulled over on the A4 in London doing 60 mph in a 50 mph zone but got away with my justification that I was merely keeping up with the flow of traffic. I regularly do 90 mph on the M40 / M5 stretches from London up to Cheshire and feel very safe doing so. Also remember the time doing over 200kmh on one of the autobahns in Germany and still being overtaken regularly by the more powerful continental cars.

In Thailand however, I have not encountered any roads / highways yet where I would dare go up to 160 kmh, mainly because of other unsafe road users and the U turns onto the high speed lane (admittedly, I only started driving here a few weeks ago and have not driven much of the country yet). Then again, driving 160 instead of 110, I will be burning a disproportionate amount of fuel, won't I?

Yes, I agree with the principle that one should drive at speeds that keep up with the flow of traffic as holding up traffic is more dangerous. I got pulled over on the A4 in London doing 60 mph in a 50 mph zone but got away with my justification that I was merely keeping up with the flow of traffic. I regularly do 90 mph on the M40 / M5 stretches from London up to Cheshire and feel very safe doing so. Also remember the time doing over 200kmh on one of the autobahns in Germany and still being overtaken regularly by the more powerful continental cars.

In Thailand however, I have not encountered any roads / highways yet where I would dare go up to 160 kmh, mainly because of other unsafe road users and the U turns onto the high speed lane (admittedly, I only started driving here a few weeks ago and have not driven much of the country yet). Then again, driving 160 instead of 110, I will be burning a disproportionate amount of fuel, won't I?

Driving around loacally for an hour or so, I go with the flow, like 60-110kmh

Vigo 3,0 loaded with big bike and gear to 2,6 tons, manages 9km/liter keeping 160kmh cruisingspeed providing 110-120kmh average speed. a 700km trip takes 8 hours if 11km/liter is desired, and 9km/liter if less than 6 hours is desired. 160km/h in Vigo 3,0 is a very relaxing 3.000rpm on engine. Tryed same speed in smaller petrol cars, and engine/auto gets very stressed

In Thailand however, I have not encountered any roads / highways yet where I would dare go up to 160 kmh, mainly because of other unsafe road users and the U turns onto the high speed lane (admittedly, I only started driving here a few weeks ago and have not driven much of the country yet).

Sounds like there's still plenty of highways for you to explore ;)

Then again, driving 160 instead of 110, I will be burning a disproportionate amount of fuel, won't I?

Diesel engined pickups and SUV's will only use about 10% more fuel from 110km/hr to 150km/hr - in these vehicles you're typically only adding approx. 100 RPM for each additional 10km/hr when in in top gear - trying to push them to 180+ will cost you though ;) Less torquey gasoline cars will pay a much higher price for any additional speed however.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

In Thailand however, I have not encountered any roads / highways yet where I would dare go up to 160 kmh, mainly because of other unsafe road users and the U turns onto the high speed lane (admittedly, I only started driving here a few weeks ago and have not driven much of the country yet).

Sounds like there's still plenty of highways for you to explore ;)

Then again, driving 160 instead of 110, I will be burning a disproportionate amount of fuel, won't I?

Diesel engined pickups and SUV's will only use about 10% more fuel from 110km/hr to 150km/hr - in these vehicles you're typically only adding approx. 100 RPM for each additional 10km/hr when in in top gear - trying to push them to 180+ will cost you though ;) Less torquey gasoline cars will pay a much higher price for any additional speed however.

Thanks for all these informative posts. One of the reasons for buying the new Toyota Hilux Vigo Champ (the topic of this thread after all :) ) is exactly to explore all these other highways AND diesel engine for the fuel economy :)