Change In Checked Baggage Policy

craigt3365

I just booked a flight back to the US and found out AFTER the booking that the checked baggage fees had changed. You use to be able to check 2 bags, up to 23kg each for free. After today, it's the first one free, the second on $70. I booked at 00:20 today...missing the new policy by 20 minutes. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx

I'm a frequent flyer with CO. Have been for many, many years and use to be Platinum for quite a few years. Something like 400k lifetime miles. I'm nothing now, but have not gotten an email from either CO or UA regarding this policy. If I had known, I would have flown Delta.

But, will be Silver Elite for the return leg, so will get to check the second bag for free. ;)

You should re-verify the purchase date for your ticket. Most GDSes use Zulu time so your ticket may have actually been issued on 14 July 2011.

Hmmm....will have to check that. If I had been in Honolulu, it's still the 14th! Zulu time is the 15th now. :(

I've never liked UA. But they have merged with CO, and UA for some reason was showing better connection times...at the same prices....for code share flights with CO!! :lol:

I got the flights for $1340 each. AA is quite a bit more. I've flown AA many times. I would prefer them, as it's usually a code share with JAL. Great airlines.

I could have gotten a flight for around $1180, but it was with China Southern and had some longggggggg layovers in Guangzhou. Great place for a layover. NOT!

I am also a United ff mile member, and hold a United mileage plus credit card, which, however, can easily be cancelled and one signed up with AA.

I have sent off an email

http://faq.ua2go.com/display/4/kb/atr/index.aspx?tab=atr&c=12&form=customerrelationsForm&cpc=WnaqDcP5KrMu623S1OA64DwwrR4UyhK6fv2ylkXXS&cid=1&r=0.08834457

I also sent them an email. Of course they can charge all the fees they want to charge but shouldn't they at least have the decency to send an email to their long time loyal customers to let us know BEFORE they do it? I have no doubt that the other american carriers will quickly match or even charge more. I am hopeful that the Asian carriers will not and that United loses customers but I doubt if most people will take notice or care. Of course United knows that it is easier to charge more for baggage than to raise the fares by $70 because fewer people will notice these "sneaky" fees.

If you don't like it send them an email. If you don't care then be prepared for more and more and more fees.

I agree, thats why I included the link. The more people complain the better, I say.

I pay a minimum of $1500 for a ticket each time, you'd think they'd let me have the bag.

All the american airlines changed from a 2 piece baggage allowance to a 1 piece at least 18 months ago on transatlantic flights. Theres no free baggage allowance on domestic US flights. That came in about 2 years ago. You pay $20-30 per checked bag. The baggage charges may account for the all the profit they make after a whole year of flying, if they make any profit at all. Spirit Airlines are the best you even have to pay to take hand baggage on the aircraft!

All the american airlines changed from a 2 piece baggage allowance to a 1 piece at least 18 months ago on transatlantic flights. Theres no free baggage allowance on domestic US flights. That came in about 2 years ago. You pay $20-30 per checked bag. The baggage charges may account for the all the profit they make after a whole year of flying, if they make any profit at all. Spirit Airlines are the best you even have to pay to take hand baggage on the aircraft!

I do 2 trips a year from here to Vegas. Always check 2 bags and carry on one. UA and CO just changed their rules on the 15th. You can read that on their website. I am pretty sure AA and DL still allow 2 bags....and I bet Cathay, China Air, Air China, etc. still allow 2. My friend is traveling Tuesday to LAX with China Southern and they are checking 2 bags each. UA and CO allow 2 if your origin is Japan. But not the rest of Asia...crazy.

Don't know about domestic as I have not flown domestically in the USA for many years. But have flown Ryan Air a few times...that was a pain! But cheap!

I never fly on US carriers when out of the US, they all suck. Stay with Asian carriers and you will be treated so much better.

I've flown with pretty much every one. I wouldn't say all Asian carriers are better. Air China, China Southern, China Eastern. My last 2 flights have been DL and UA. Both were fine.

Fly AA and many times you are on a code share with JAL.

For some reason, UA (now part of CO) is making an aggressive push here. Best fares I've been able to find recently. DL has some good fares also. Would love to fly JAL or Cathay...but it's a lot more. And with 2 tickets, that adds up quickly.

Korean Air has looooong layovers. Last time I did SQ, I had a long layover also. Maybe that's changed, but it's still more than what the US airlines are currently offering...with the exception of the Chinese airlines. Which I have flown, but prefer not to.

Guess it was a matter of time for transpacific flights then, I flew in May and got 2 bags. Unfortunately, I am not terminating in LA and most Asian carriers don't have decent connections to flights further east. And I'd still have to pay for my bags then.

Guess it was a matter of time for transpacific flights then, I flew in May and got 2 bags. Unfortunately, I am not terminating in LA and most Asian carriers don't have decent connections to flights further east. And I'd still have to pay for my bags then.

My same problem. We travel to Vegas. Use to have direct flights to Tokyo and to Seoul. But no more. Love that direct flight with Thai Air, but it arrives so late we would have to spend the night before traveling onward. Not worth it...plus...it's a lot more money!

I sent an email into CO regarding the fees...no response yet...but it is the weekend. Hope to hear something, but doubt I will.

I am in the process of booking a ticket from San Diego to Bangkok for October on Cathay Pacific. I just checked their website and they still say you get two bags of 23 kilos each for free - no change from last time I flew in March (you get a third bag free if you are a member of the Marco Polo Club).

The feeder flight from San Diego to LA is on AA, and last time I talked to them in March they said they follow the same baggage fee on their domestic leg as the international carrier, so I got two free 23k bags on that leg as well.

For info, I found a ticket for $1,370 for a flight from San Diego to LA then to Hong Kong, a couple of days layover in HK, then on to Bangkok and same on reverse.

I am in the process of booking a ticket from San Diego to Bangkok for October on Cathay Pacific. I just checked their website and they still say you get two bags of 23 kilos each for free - no change from last time I flew in March (you get a third bag free if you are a member of the Marco Polo Club).

The feeder flight from San Diego to LA is on AA, and last time I talked to them in March they said they follow the same baggage fee on their domestic leg as the international carrier, so I got two free 23k bags on that leg as well.

For info, I found a ticket for $1,370 for a flight from San Diego to LA then to Hong Kong, a couple of days layover in HK, then on to Bangkok and same on reverse.

That's a great fare! I've not been able to find cheap flights from here to Vegas. What site did you use to book the ticket? Or did you call them directly/use an agent?

Welcome to the real world.

It has only been flights to/from the states that have operated the 2 bag policy for years. The rest of the world had mainly been dealing with the 1 bag/23kg limit for quite some time.

That's a great fare! I've not been able to find cheap flights from here to Vegas. What site did you use to book the ticket? Or did you call them directly/use an agent?

About a year or so ago, when I first started coming over to Thailand, I looked at the various carriers, and decided that Cathay Pacific worked best, so now I just go onto their website and click on "multi-city/stopover" and put in my cities. Every once in a while I look at other carriers, but it never works out. I then call CP's reservations agent with any questions and they are very good with answers.

The other thing I like about CP is that if you are a member of Marco Polo Club you can use their business class lounge even if you are flying economy, which is nice for those tedious layovers, and you get preference for a bulkhead seat

The thing I don't like is that they charge me $150-$200 (they don't break it out) for the roundtrip, 25 minute flight from SD to LA (that is included in the $1370 I quoted above), about a 2 1/2 hours drive. If I didn't hate LA traffic so much I would drive up there.

About a year or so ago, when I first started coming over to Thailand, I looked at the various carriers, and decided that Cathay Pacific worked best, so now I just go onto their website and click on "multi-city/stopover" and put in my cities. Every once in a while I look at other carriers, but it never works out. I then call CP's reservations agent with any questions and they are very good with answers.

The other thing I like about CP is that if you are a member of Marco Polo Club you can use their business class lounge even if you are flying economy, which is nice for those tedious layovers, and you get preference for a bulkhead seat

The thing I don't like is that they charge me $150-$200 (they don't break it out) for the roundtrip, 25 minute flight from SD to LA (that is included in the $1370 I quoted above), about a 2 1/2 hours drive. If I didn't hate LA traffic so much I would drive up there.

Hmmm...Seems the Vegas leg is the problem. Great prices to LAX, horrible ones to LAS...and you can't use the flexible date search with the LAS option. We travel back with 2 checked bags each, one carry on and one large backpack each. Makes it hard to break up the return trip with all those bags!!!!!!! :(

Hopefully, we are just about done bringing all our stuff back over here. ;)

CP was Canadian Pacific, and I think they don't exist any more, they were bought over by Air Cananda.

Cathay Pacific is CX. I'm not trying to be difficult, but it really creates misunderstandings if everybody makes up their own airline codes.

Hmmm...Seems the Vegas leg is the problem. Great prices to LAX, horrible ones to LAS...and you can't use the flexible date search with the LAS option. We travel back with 2 checked bags each, one carry on and one large backpack each. Makes it hard to break up the return trip with all those bags!!!!!!! :(

When going to Vegas, I booked a return ticket from BKK to LAX (the first time) or to SDFO respectively (the second time) in Thailand, and a domestic ticket from there to LAS on the internet. You can get domestic tickets in the US for US$ 99 if you book well in advance.

When going to Vegas, I booked a return ticket from BKK to LAX (the first time) or to SDFO respectively (the second time) in Thailand, and a domestic ticket from there to LAS on the internet. You can get domestic tickets in the US for US$ 99 if you book well in advance.

Thanks...I have done that before. It's kind of a pain. If you get delayed, you're screwed as your connecting flight was purchased separately and they aren't really responsible for putting you on the next flight for free. I've experienced this several times before and one reason I try to book via one carrier all the way.

Also, with 4 checked bags, we'll get hit with the stupid checked baggage fees...really adds up. :(

After this leg, I'm back to elite status with UA/CO!!!

:whistling:

I just came back to Thailand on the 18th of July from the U.S. on United Airlines. They were announcing to all passemgers their new baggage rules in the check-in area. They are especially strict on long-haul flights (i.e. most flights into Thailand).

The rules are:

1. ONE checked in bag per traveler of no more that 22Kg...for economy flights... is free. I believe business class maximum rate is 32Kg, but I can't confirm that. As always anything over that wieght is excess baggage. The 2nd checked in bag for each person will cost them...but I don't remember how much. The figure of $30 for the 2nd checked bag sounds right, but as I said I can't confirm that.

2. Two carry-on bags per person...but only one carry-on bag may be stowed in the overhead luggage bins. If there is a 2nd carry-on bag it MUST be able to fit undereath the seat in front of you. If it does not fit they will require you to check it after you are in the aircraft...and you will have to pay that check-in baggage fee if that brings you over the one check-in bag limit. In the aircraft the flight crew will be the deciding authority on what "fits" underneath the seat in front of you. If they say it doesn't fit, you must check it.

3. For women, if you carry a purse, your purse and one other carry-on bag is the limit. Your purse must not go in the overhead bins, you must stow that underneath the seat.

4. If you have a lap-top computer...that you carry-on the plane...THAT is your one carry-on bag. If you have another carry-on bag with your laptop the 2nd carry-on bag must fit underneath the seat in front of you. Again, if it doesn't fit underneath the seat in front of you, it must be checked in and paid for.

5. On take-off and landing NO bags or purses are allowed to be held in your lap. ALL carry-on luggage must be either stored in the overhead bins or underneath the seat in front of you. United was saying that this was a safety requirement being required by the FAA...because any loose bags being held by a passenger could become a flying missle in te event of a crash or a sudden stop of the plane and hit and hurt another passenger. Therefore, NO baggage items held in passengers laps on take-off or landing will be allowed. ALL carry-on baggage must be stowed in the overhead bins or underneath the seat in front of you. And again, yes ladies, that includes your purse.

6 And finally United was announcing it's own airline policy as follows: If all the overhead bins are full, and certain customers must check their carry-on bags for that reason, then those with the cheapest tickets will be the first to be forced to check their carry-on bags and pay that fee for a 2nd check-in bag. In other words, if you have the cheapest fare ticket, and the overhead bag bins are full, YOU will be the first passengers to be forced to check in your carry-on bag and pay that fee.

The airlines are justifying this on two grounds. The first is safety...because bags in the aircraft cabin not stored away can become flying missles that will harm another passenger in the case of a sudden stop of the aircraft. The second is the weight/fuel resriction...since every Kg they carry for a passenger doesn't make them any extra revenue and costs them in fuel to carry.

(You may know that the IATA regulations REQUIRE any plane to have a certain minimum of fuel to allow them to circle an airport in case of a delay in landing due to weather delays..failure to have this safety minimum will earn the airline a hefty fine by IATA if it is violated. Therefore the airlines are cracking down hard on passenger bags which represent weight that burns fuel.)

I expect these will become the new baggage rules soon, probably by the end of August or September the 1st...which is normally when airlines raise fares.

For the airlines, fuel costs are going up, due to the problems in the Mideast, and they have to do everything they can to minimise costs. So the passenger will be paying more for flights,especially for the long-haul fligts.

For that reason ,a smart traveler will carry only one carry-on bag, and one check-in bag...and expect to pay more for anything else.

I don't like them either, but I'm sure that is what the new rules wil soon be.

:annoyed:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Second checked bag is $70!! For me, that adds $140 to the total cost.

Again, based on principles alone, I would have bought my ticket with Delta if I had known this...or any other airline that still allows 2 checked bags for free. Voting with my wallet.

:whistling:

I just came back to Thailand on the 18th of July from the U.S. on United Airlines. They were announcing to all passemgers their new baggage rules in the check-in area. They are especially strict on long-haul flights (i.e. most flights into Thailand).

The rules are: {...}:annoyed:

These horrible rules apply in the US. Fortunately, travels to/from/within Europe and Asia are not affected.

In the US, they have these "self-service check-in counters". It means that everybody has to struggle with the computer terminals, while there are only two airline staff answering questions and being totally overworked. I stood in line at a real check-in counter (there were about ten of them, but - as I said - only two staff) and wanted to check in. Even being the first in line, I had to wait a long time. Once I was attended to, I told the friendly but overworked ("exploited" I think is the right term) staff that I would like to check in, and she said that Head Office now wants everybody to use the terminals. I said, well then I will have to fly on another airline next time. She understood and checked me in, but I'm not sure Head Office knows about this.

Of course, this disastrous customer service (even though the day was saved by the overworked staff) could only have happened in the CONUS. No such problems anywhere else. In other countries, you are treated as a customer, not as someone who is asking a favour to please please transport me to my destination. Unfortunately, the US does not depend on tourism for their GDP. I love Thailand.