Luang Prabang To Chiang Khong

krading

Had a quick search on here about the Mae Khong boat trips and can only seem to find info about those going downstream.

I've got a mate who wants to do the trip the other way around, Luang Prabang to Chiang Khong.

What time does immigration shut at Chiang Khong. He thinks the boat gets in around 4 pm and also needs to get to Chiang Mai that night.

I reckon he's pushing his luck a bit but he says he'll just toss $100 at a taxi driver and Bob's your uncle.

Anybody done this trip?

Any suggestions are welcome.

p.s. to the Mod Squad, Yes, I posted this on another forum but as yet had no replies so I'm trying again.:ermm:

Hi

I did this trip two years ago and arrived after 6 pm. The border closes at 6 pm and you have to make a river crossing before that. So you have to stay the night! As mentioned before it is a two day trip when you take the slow boat. But there are also the speebboats and they arive between 4 and 5 pm as far as i know.

Perhaps somebody can inform you about that.

Robert

Hi

I did this trip two years ago and arrived after 6 pm. The border closes at 6 pm and you have to make a river crossing before that. So you have to stay the night! As mentioned before it is a two day trip when you take the slow boat. But there are also the speebboats and they arive between 4 and 5 pm as far as i know.

Perhaps somebody can inform you about that.

Robert

From what I've seen on the www, the speedboats may be ultra dangerous, I'd sure not take one. Perhaps that's why they issue crash helmets for the ride, and ear plugs.

Mac