Brownout

robblok

Now again a brownout. Usually those things don't last long. But i must say they are real annoying. I got everything behind a few decent UPS backups. But it is annoying that these kind of things happen here.

Does it happen with other users too ? Im here in Nonthaburi a little outside of BKK. I seem to have one of these episodes once a month. I hate it most at night when i use the air-con.

Before it used to happen more so there is some improvement but still.

Hmmm good seems to be back to normal. :D Just a few minutes this time

Edited by robblok

Never had one in BKK that I've noticed. More reliable than at home, only outage has been from construction

We have outages here once a month maybe less. It seems to be ok now. But it could get back. Because i usually do important stuff behind the computer i got a few of those UPS things to give me power. Unfortunately they don't last forever. In Holland i never ever had power problems. Great country if you want secure stuff. But you get what you pay for.

Yes, at least once a week. Hiso area in BKK.

Now its crazy one moment there is power the next there is not. Real annoying. Cant really go on working because the power supply will stop soon. Plus the beeping is getting to me :D

Live in Nonthaburi Provence but way out on the edge nearest Town is Sai Noi, power goes out at least 1x per day, but mostly come straight back on, about 1x month goes out for longer anything up to 4 hours. No idea how long it goes out at night but it goes out often as I have a DVD that is not connected to a UPS and that is on = I know electric has gone out in the night.

For me it is no different then 8 years ago here, one lives with it. really must buy a bigger switch over pump for my Fish ponds

Yes, at least once a week. Hiso area in BKK.

Now its crazy one moment there is power the next there is not. Real annoying. Cant really go on working because the power supply will stop soon. Plus the beeping is getting to me :D

My area used to have small, single houses. Now they made lots of big condo buildings, but did not take into account that those condos need more electricity.

Result: frequent power outages.

TIT.

We get them just about any time it rains or doesn't rain and it is the whole street or more at a time . One memorable exception was on a rainy evening and we were all sat down for BBQ and hotpot on the veranda when out went the electric , but it was only our house . I tried the fuse box a few times to no avail . Funny uncle Wilot called the local electrician and he showed up with a meter and tested the fuse box and the meter on the pylon outside . He then got a big bamboo pole and hoisted it up to the pylon cable and wiggled the wire about . There were a few sparks going off . Sure of the cause of the brown out he then hammered the connector back into the socket up on the pylon with the big bamboo pole .Sparks everywhere. The lights came on then and the electrician then became a welcome dinner guest . Scary but true .

Live in Nonthaburi Provence but way out on the edge nearest Town is Sai Noi, power goes out at least 1x per day, but mostly come straight back on, about 1x month goes out for longer anything up to 4 hours. No idea how long it goes out at night but it goes out often as I have a DVD that is not connected to a UPS and that is on = I know electric has gone out in the night.

For me it is no different then 8 years ago here, one lives with it. really must buy a bigger switch over pump for my Fish ponds

I live near Big King Bangyai. You live a little further out then me. I am happy i dont have outages on a daily basis that would be really too much.

It seems to be all resolved now.

here in the northeast far out in the sticks, we get huge storms, heavy rain, floods and high winds. we get thunder and lightning that would scare the crap out of most people. we get trees falling on the line and we still have power.

however, when it all calms down, there is no wind,no rain, no floods, no trees fallin down and its perfectly still..... a gecko will fart and we have lost power.

amazing.

Live in Nonthaburi Provence but way out on the edge nearest Town is Sai Noi, power goes out at least 1x per day, but mostly come straight back on, about 1x month goes out for longer anything up to 4 hours.

Same here in Don Muang.

We have 'em all the time!

Just my house and a neighbor.

3-4 times per week.

I'm in a small village outside Prachin and we have brown outs numerous times per week. ( I'm in the US currentlybah.gif)

The only thing that works is the fan in the bedroom and turns at 2 revolutions per hour

Complaints were made to the village chief and within 2 months and some extra funding, the electricians came out and found it was a transformer right in front of our house.

Fixed it.

Now when there is a brown out, the whole village has it instead of just us.

The joy of sharing.

Good thing to hear its quite common. My UPS can keep my computer running for 20 minutes and my other UPS can keep my 2 monitors running for a similar time. But this time it took longer. And yes we have the 1 second power outs to but i dont notice them that much because of the UPS

The power goes out for a split second, long enough for my computer to have to re boot, several, (3 to 7) times a day. I keep meaning to buy a UPS unit but just never get around to it. Just part of living out in the bush.

UPS are sold everywhere.

For a reason.

Avoid Thai UPS and buy APC. A little more, but it saves you headaches.

The power goes out for a split second, long enough for my computer to have to re boot, several, (3 to 7) times a day. I keep meaning to buy a UPS unit but just never get around to it. Just part of living out in the bush.

UPS are sold everywhere.

For a reason.

Avoid Thai UPS and buy APC. A little more, but it saves you headaches.

I have to agree there.. i spend a lot on my UPS (say around 10k) but i got a good one that handles a lot of abuse. My other ones did not keep my computers on long. I actually got 1 UPS for my computer and one for both my 24inch monitors.

Avoid Thai UPS and buy APC

Why please ?

I have 2x 'Gizz' and 2x 'Legend' all were between 1,400 - 1,600 baht, all are fine, I pop down to the electric shop about every 12 - 14 months and get new battery's which are about 300 baht each, there between 6 - 8 years old.

With new battery stay on for about 15 mins, this time gets shorter as the months go by. The above are fine for the TV's + Dreamboxes, but wondered what the extra advantage of a APC would be on my PC ? [internet connection normally goes out before the power cuts]

On the subject of UPS... bedrooms and living room have big TV, Dreambox, DVD and VCR all plugged into 1x UPS... 1x UPS for PC, 24" monitor, printer, scanner, router. Re: 'actually got 1 UPS for my computer and one for both my 24inch monitors.'

Avoid Thai UPS and buy APC

Why please ?

I have 2x 'Gizz' and 2x 'Legend' all were between 1,400 - 1,600 baht, all are fine, I pop down to the electric shop about every 12 - 14 months and get new battery's which are about 300 baht each, there between 6 - 8 years old.

With new battery stay on for about 15 mins, this time gets shorter as the months go by. The above are fine for the TV's + Dreamboxes, but wondered what the extra advantage of a APC would be on my PC ? [internet connection normally goes out before the power cuts]

On the subject of UPS... bedrooms and living room have big TV, Dreambox, DVD and VCR all plugged into 1x UPS... 1x UPS for PC, 24" monitor, printer, scanner, router. Re: 'actually got 1 UPS for my computer and one for both my 24inch monitors.'

I got my internet router behind the UPS too also i use the UPS to buffer between the ever changing current from the sockets and the computer. Seen many computers just break down because of the changes in current.

I got my internet router behind the UPS too also i use the UPS to buffer between the ever changing current from the sockets and the computer. Seen many computers just break down because of the changes in current.

Not sure if it is of any help but 8 years ago when I moved here brought with me my Surge Protector 12 socket tower, that is and always has been plugged into the UPS, PC and all the other PC things are plugged into the tower, my thought was this was extra protection