Just Been Burgled

phazey

Just got word the family home has been turned over. Twunts :(

A fair amount got taken. Looks like the scumbags knew where to look. I'll keep the speculation to myself.

For now, if anyone spots the following on their travels, appreciate a heads up.

Black ASUS Netbook A1000H - has a white apple sticker on the lid.

Iphone (1st Generation) - has a line of grey dead pixels across the screen (this was my sons)

Christian Dior Gold watch - http://www.paragonwatches.com/images/D70-150MCHs.jpg - This has huge sentimental value attached.

Jewelry - diamond rings, necklaces. Dont have an accurate description.

This was from the Nawamin Road area, so i expect these to turn up in the flee markets, possibly Bangkapi

Waiting for them to turn the laptop on as i have a remote login + skype to take discreet screenshots.

The thing that irks me is that the house is out in the open on a semi busy road (with the usual stalls etc selling their food). I'm sure there is a witness somewhere.

Ah what a mess!

Waiting for them to turn the laptop on as i have a remote login + skype to take discreet screenshots.

Does this stuff work? I've never heard of that.

Yes. When i am away i use logmein.com to fix things the wife has broke on her computer, or if she wants something set up.

With luck i'll get a screenshot of the thief, and their last known IP - if it's on residential DSL, it'll have a login and account associated with it.

Sorry to hear of your loss, It could of happened any where.OK wise after the facts but why did you not have a strong box somewhere to keep valuables in, Don't put temptation in harms way thats what i was always told.

Sorry to hear of your problem but a word of warning, we too got turned over , my response fit an alarm system costing 24,000 baht. I have since been told by the police they do not respond to alarms in houses going off unless the home owner makes the call, I fit it to protect the house when nobody home but a waste of money the only protection is the alarm may scare someone off. Oh and I was told do not set the alarm to ring for more than 5 minutes as if goes off in the middle of the night any time longer than five minutes keeps paople awake, go figure , only in Thailand.

I got Window bars fitted to the Windows and doors, for the mother Inlay, that makes them think twice before they just steal on in pulse . but no matter what you do if they want to get in they will , even if they turn up when you are in ,With a gun , don't keep any valuables in the house.

They must have thought you were Budhist.

The BEggining of Buddhist Lent today.

Must have thought you were giving that stuff up.

Seriousely tho, sorry you got Bugguled.

Doubt even if you get some screen shot or info on the thieves where abouts that the local BIB will do anything to help catch the thief (s).

The only way to adequately protect yourself in the fututre is to have proper western style security alarm and window and door lock protection.

Fisherman hooks on nylon cords in front of all doors and windows...

That was my Koh Phangan landlord suggestion after our -one & only- in house burglary.

It worked, several weeks later, on a half moon party night, a guy got catch into these... And guess what: it was a farang!

With luck i'll get a screenshot of the thief, and their last known IP - if it's on residential DSL, it'll have a login and account associated with it.

Pls post back if that works.

Would be interesting to post different anti-theft ideas.

I'm in favor of hiding in plain sight and diversion, to focus the outside thieves attention on a safe that they can carry off but is unused, but for some strips of newspaper, washers and an old plug chain or two.

The key is suitable internal CCTV that covers multiple angles and gets their faces, another feed outside to get motorbike plate details. Then issue to police and fly-post locally, publicity.

Only thing better than a dog is two dogs...etc...

..........and keep 'em hungry!

Some farang optimist tried selling sophisticated burglar alarms in Chiang Mai around 7 years ago. Didn't last long. Neither police nor neighbours will react to them. "Ahh, not my business, and I might get hurt."

But the neighbours WILL complain to you about the noise when you get back home.

What is the point of suggesting how to secure the stable door once the horse has bolted out?

I am sorry for the OP and do hope he gets a positive response in finding the stolen items.

Like in the cases of burglery in the UK and other countries, I very much doubt whether the OP will ever see his goods again, but who knows, he may be lucky.

All we can do is put this down to experience that`s makes us more careful, savvy and wiser in the future.

Sad but true.

A fair amount got taken. Looks like the scumbags knew where to look. I'll keep the speculation to myself.

Do you have an idea who it may have been?

We had aircon repair men, and house painters in and out the rooms all within the last month. Police are following this up right now.

As we look around the house, we're finding more and more things that have been half inched.

Tossers :/

How do you take "discrete" screenshots with logmein.com? It puts a pretty prominent icon in the task bar when it is running.

I'm not sure I'll go discrete. My plan is to log in to the remote, and at the same time initiate a skype call. Click accept on the remote, screen grab on local. I'll get the last known IP address from logmein too, so that may help with the location (hopefully if it's tied to residential DSL it'll have a trackable DHCP lease tied to an account/address.

Then i plan to flip them the bird and fire a few choice four letter words at them for good measure.

The netbook has not been online yet - 29 hours offline so far. it may never come back. Who knows.

One of the options in logmein is to turn the systray icon off. That's why I said "turn the icon off".

Another option is to turn the warning banner at the top of the screen off.

So by selecting those two options you can make logmein invisible to the person in front of the computer.