Thai Drivers Licence

Anyone got any experience with getting a Thai Drivers Licence in Samui?

Where? How? Cost? etc?

I have a full UK drivers licence. I have been told that I dont have to take any tests, but merely have to fill out a few forms, take a sight test, and pay the fees. Anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks

Ian

1. Copy passport, visa, entry stamp, arrival card.

2. Letter from immigrations or copy work permit or copy House book.

3. Doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health.

a - Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country.

b - Take written and practical exam.

1 set of these documents is required per licence application.

First time, hand in applications before 9.00 PM.

9°29'25.66" N 99°55'52.30" E

As far as I know to not do the actual driving test you will need to have an international driving license which is easily obtained in the UK, you will still have to watch the safety video and do the reaction test but that should be it.

I know what you guys are saying is the correct procedure,this is how I got my car licence.But I also heard of many people just producing their UK, US, AUS licences & just doing the sight one. I did that with my bike licence.

Going there Tuesday, will check it out for you.

Otherwise full details:HERE.

I know what you guys are saying is the correct procedure,this is how I got my car licence.But I also heard of many people just producing their UK, US, AUS licences & just doing the sight one. I did that with my bike licence.

Going there Tuesday, will check it out for you.

Otherwise full details:HERE.

Would appreciate any info you can gather, thanks Rooo.

Formally if you have a valid home country license the written and driven tests are not required. However, as can be seen in the myriad of topics on this, it can change from office to office. Some require it to be an International license some home country is sufficient and some require the tests regardless. Here is one of many lists outlining the requirements.

5. Your driver's license from your home country. If you don't have one you will need to take the fairly simple written and road tests (for which you will need your own vehicle.

Drivers license

Another - Thailawonline

when i did mine in samui i just took my International license(only valid for 1 year) and no test to be done either,got a 1 year first and now have a five year,by the way if you have an accident i have been told if you dont have one your insurance is void!its a very handy thing to have,and if driving on the mainland a must.also can be used as ID for many things.when i lived in phuket was getting stopped all the time on my bike and was waering a helmet but all the police wanted to see was my license and i was on my way.

The driving test here consists of hoppingup and down on one leg for ten minutes with a pair of chop sticks stuffed up each nostrel.

I used straws for mine.

I have recently got my Thai licenses for motorcycle and for car (4 wheels).

They were issued on the basis of my int. license.

However, they would not give me a license for a vehicle with more than 4 wheels, i.e. 6 or 10 wheels.

Although both my int. and national licenses are valid for such vehicles.

(this was in Udon province)

Anybody know how to or where to get a ticket for a 6 or 10 wheeler?

I have recently got my Thai licenses for motorcycle and for car (4 wheels).

They were issued on the basis of my int. license.

However, they would not give me a license for a vehicle with more than 4 wheels, i.e. 6 or 10 wheels.

Although both my int. and national licenses are valid for such vehicles.

(this was in Udon province)

You will have to ask that in the motoring forum. But I think as a foreigner you are not allowed to operate such a vehicule in Thailand or perhaps issued under different provisions from another section.

You need a WP for that and they will not issue a WP because its a occupation prohibited for foreigners.

Edited by PoorSucker

Not correct, officially you would have to complete all tests, have a look here

I thought there were some steps (like testing) that could be skipped if you had an International DL

It seems like it, reading all the comments here, although there doesn't seem to be uniformity among the various offices. Back in the days I had to complete the whole experience from A to Z. No credit was given and the first two yars I went for a license, they always made me come back two or three days in a row before I had all the correct paperwork.

Last year when I got my one year license (car) at the Samui office I was just required to do the sight and reflex test. I did not have an international license just my UK one.

A friend went about 6 months ago and same policy. However I would advise checking beforehand as the official list still mentions international license and they may be back to strictly applying it.

One other thing to note is that they do have a strict dress code....... turn up in shorts and a vest and they will send you away!

I agree with just having a liccence from overseas, they require it to be in English or translated to English. They also require it to be certified by Embassy, but never seen that enforced.

Went to ask this morning, pointed me to the board with all the requirements in English, took a picture for you, HOT off the press.

My summary:

Take all of the above paper work & your UK licence (guess) & I think you will only have to do the sight/reaction test.

Please let us know.

I have always thought that many Thais here in Pattaya found their licence's in noodle packets.

Ha thats so right for Thais ......no for the farang you have to look in the bottom of the Corn Flakes Box or better still just always carry 100 baht you,ll get a salute for that!!!:)

The driving test here consists of hoppingup and down on one leg for ten minutes with a pair of chop sticks stuffed up each nostrel.

I used straws for mine.

It was an absolute joke thought they were serious when they askedme How many wheels my motobike had . Stupididly I replied same number that any motor bike had . Should have said least 10 or more cause I I later remembered the fly wheel least one , then you got the steering wheel , There must be heaps of wheels inside the motor. It was all too hard for the poor desk girl ,told her to forget it ,the car one will surfice for motorbike one anyway they don't look that closely. Loved the multiple choice question ......."What vehicle can you not drive down a public road ...A. An armoured tank ready for battle!! ...B..Ahhh stop there I never seen an armoured tank driving down a road plus the big heavy tractor catapuller wheels would tear the road to bits and besides I could never own one to drive down a public rd so that must be right A. Wrong of course C. A car without a windscreen . Huh saw one the other day. I,ve been driving for over 30 years now and never an accident. The driving test have road signs here I,ve never seen in my life ! There was no physical test, no wonder theres so much road carnage. and out on the real Thai Rds came across a set of streetlights flashing RED What the f..k does that mean????? Stop,Go,Stop,Go. I stopped and got blasted from the car behind.....So...if it means caution why not the yellow flash ? It was there it the red ,yellow green set .. Strange place and theres no give way to the right rule here !!!! at intersections only the darer get through first.