Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I finally managed to get up to Mo Chit today and sort out my license.

Embassy Letter (RIP OFF 2315baht!)

Passport

Old Licenses

Medical Certificate (obtained from the corner of Pohonyothin Soi 18. It's just a little further down from the entrance to the MOT. I was asked for 100baht to which i replied "that's expensive, it was only 60 baht for my last one" (the old bag then asked me why all Farangs are stingy and took my 60 baht))I asked her - if it's 60 baht, why are you trying to charge me 100baht - no reply.

My license expired over 2 years ago. So i had to do the computer test, twice (once for motorbike, once for car) one after the other, which seems a little bizarre. Some of the questions are unfathomable and i had to ask for assistance to translate them back into Thai so that i could understand them. 1st test i got 5 wrong answers and the second test i got 6 wrong answers... Hows that for progress! lol ... But all ok and i passed.

Back down to the 2nd floor and all done - 1070 baht later i had 2 new shiny 5 year licenses.

The woman outside the computer test room on the 3rd floor is a bit of an old battle axe, but everyone else was really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what printed information I got from the Phuket Provincial Land Office and Phuket Immgration Office today, scanned by Hewlet Packard optical charter recognition. It only got a few things wrong, which I corrected. Mostly... You need a set of copies for each license, car and motorbike. If you don't have the motorbike license in your home country, you have to take the test. I'll post about my experience when I get around to doing it. I'm busy with my one year extension visa at the the moment!

BEFORE 9.30 A. M

THAI DRIVER LICENSE

1. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA AND TOURIST VISA (ORIGINAL) BEFORE YOUR VISA EXPIRES and PHOTO Copy

2. PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY OR WORK PERMIT

OR IMMIGRATION OFFICE (ORIGINAL) and PHOTO Copy

3. DOCTOR REPORT OR DOCTOR TREATMENT ( NOT OVER 1 MONTH)

4. INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE ORIGINAL and PHOTO Copy OR DRIVER LICENSE TRANSLATED IN ENGLISH FROM YOUR EMBASSY

(CONVENTION OR INTERNATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC

OF 19 SEPTEMBER 1968 , 1949 )

See item #2 above. This is from the Phuket Immigration office as of today:

Certificate of Residence

To purchase a motor vehicle, motorbike, apply for Thai Driving License etc you will need a

Certificate of Residence here at the Phuket

Town Immigration Check Point.

To obtain the Certificate you will need to show the following.

1. Copy of your Passport (photo Page).A copy of the Visa in your Passport. A copy of your Departure Card TM6

2. Copy of Lease or Rental Agreement

3. Copy of Landlord or House Owners ID Card.

OR

1. Copy of your Passport (photo Page),A copy of the Visa in your Passport. A copy of your Departure Card TM6

2. Copy of Blue Book.

3. Copy of Landlease with a copy of Land Owners 10 Card -or- copy of Land Lease and Company Stamp.

NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE·MASTER OWNER OR

THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED.

Remember also for get the 5yrs license you need a Non-Immigrant Visa . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Question about info provided by Jimi007 on 11 June at 00h21 and repeated by Mega69 on 9 July at 01h41

PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY or WORK PERMIT or IMMIGRATION OFFICE (ORIGINAL) and PHOTO Copy

UNQUOTE

May I assume that for me, holder of Extension one year (of Non Imm O) the Immigration Office in my neighbourhood can supply certificate of residence?

Indeed an Embassy can only accept a declaration of residence in Thailand by one of its citizens but has no way to find out if he or she is truly staying at the address provided : only Thai Immigration Authorities can verify this if they want.

Got my first 5 year Thai licences at Chiang Mai today. Existing 1 year Thai temporary licence expired yesterday

What I didn't need

Didn't need to watch any video

Didn't need to do colour blindness test

Didn't need to do reaction test

What I did need

Certificate of reidence + 1 photocopy (500bht from Chiang Mai Immigration office + 1bht)

Medical certificate + 1 photocopy (100bht from hospital near driving licence office + 1bht)

Passport, arrival card page, extension of stay page, information page 2 photocopies of each (6bht)

Arrived at 10:00, paid 1060bht, left 10:29 with separate car and motorcycle licences, valid for 5 years and 6 months (my next birthday after 5 years)

So why did everyone tell me I needed all day and had to watch videos??????

I went on my own

Most of the desk staff spoke English, I didn't have to speak any Thai.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I suppose it's because in some provinces you do have to !

I got a 5 year license three years ago, produced my UK license, passport, address where staying and stamped on this pedal when a red light appeared, paid 300 baht for the car license and 150 for the bike license, as time goes on times change I guess!

Edited by Kwasaki

I got a 5 year license three years ago, produced my UK license, passport, address where staying and stamped on this pedal when a red light appeared, paid 300 baht for the car license and 150 for the bike license, as time goes on times change I guess!

I had to do that last year for my Temporary 1 year licences (still no video) ..... not this year for the 5 year ones though, and a chappie in CM told me the story about 'all day' just yesterday evening.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I had to do that last year for my Temporary 1 year licences (still no video) ..... not this year for the 5 year ones though, and a chappie in CM told me the story about 'all day' just yesterday evening.

Like I said it's where you live but things can change overnight like immigration requirements.

The video in my province is now showed on application of first licences for 1year if you have to do a writen test and a practical test.

You do not have to if you have a full licence from your country of origin.

I was told when I go for my 5 year license renewal they give me one for life but I'll take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Edited by Kwasaki

What I did need

Certificate of reidence + 1 photocopy (500bht from Chiang Mai Immigration office + 1bht)

Got mine free from Nonthaburi Immi but had to go twice so over 500 in taxis.

My experience at the Chatuchak (Mo Chit) main office last month (July '10), for a new 1 year license (ie not a renewal)

Arrived 9.30am on a Thursday

I had:

My passport with one year non-immigrant visa

Work permit

(I then got copies of these at a photocopier counter set up in registration office);

Medical report

No address confirmation required as I had a work permit

Current Australian Driving license (accepted with no questions asked)

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, peripheral vision test, all of which could be taken again once more on the day if failed the first time (but I didn't see anyone fail any test)

Two hours all in all and painless. I had thought I might have an issue living in Sukhumvit and not using the Sukhumvit office, but there was no problem. I decided to use Chatuchak because I heard that they were friendly and helpful, which was very true.

I was told when I go for my 5 year license renewal they give me one for life but I'll take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Licences for life were only ever available for Thais, and then only for a brief period - they are not available anywhere, anymore, for anyone! .......and those Thais who have them had better not lose them, as they will only be replaced with a 5 year licence.

I have a friend coming over from the UK to retire. He has a UK driving license, but it is unclear from what I read here if he needs and International license - could someone please confirm if the UK license is enough.

Thanks very much for your help

Yes an International Drivers Permit, accompanied with his British licence are required by law, but often in Thailand you will only be asked to produce a British driving licence to the police or too hire a car etc, but find yourself in an accident and the insurance company can wriggle out of a claim, if you haven't got your IDP.

Edited by Monkeypants

Yes an International Drivers Permit, accompanied with his British licence are required by law, but often in Thailand you will only be asked to produce a British driving licence to the police or too hire a car etc, but find yourself in an accident and the insurance company can wriggle out of a claim, if you haven't got your IDP.

Thanks for the feedback Monkeypants. If he does not drive before he has his Retirement visa and then he goes and gets a Thai Driving License as soon as he gets his Retirement visa, could he then just use the UK Driving License to get the Thai Driving License or would he still need an International Driving Permit for the exchange???

When I got my Thai driving license 6 years ago, I just used my UK License, but I think the rules have changed since then... certainly this forum seems so refer to the International Driving permit in a lot of posts.

Thanks for the help...

Thanks for the feedback Monkeypants. If he does not drive before he has his Retirement visa and then he goes and gets a Thai Driving License as soon as he gets his Retirement visa, could he then just use the UK Driving License to get the Thai Driving License or would he still need an International Driving Permit for the exchange???

When I got my Thai driving license 6 years ago, I just used my UK License, but I think the rules have changed since then... certainly this forum seems so refer to the International Driving permit in a lot of posts.

Thanks for the help...

Your UK license ensures you will not need to watch the videos or take the tests. As long as the license is current. IDP is irrelevant and can be ignored.

GotLost - thanks for the feedback - fair enough - he has decided to get an International Driving Permit as well anyway, that way he can hire a car before he converts his UK Driving License to a Thai license. He wanted to do that to be 'safe'... cover all events...

He (well his wife actually) has lots and lots of question - this has been one of the easier questions to help him with.

Edited by dsfbrit

• 3 weeks later...

What I did need

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3792962

Got mine free from Nonthaburi Immi but had to go twice so over 500 in taxis.

" Mahtin " I think your pulling everyones leg.

Not at all.

The certificate of residence is supposed to be free.

I have been a bit farniente recently, but am going to visit Khon Kaen soon.

My cert. of res. has me living in Nonthaburi. Would that preclude my applying for a first driving license in KK?

Anyone with relevant experience, know where to go? Or would JJ be a better bet?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a bit farniente recently, but am going to visit Khon Kaen soon.

My cert. of res. has me living in Nonthaburi. Would that preclude my applying for a first driving license in KK?

Anyone with relevant experience, know where to go? Or would JJ be a better bet?

TIA

Yep, you have to appl;y in the section where you live. Get the to Immi in KK and get a new paper for you residence and then progress!

Sorry, if this has been covered before, but as this thread started in 2005 - things may have changed.

My 1 year bike and car licences run out on 6th October 2010, but I will be out of the country until mid November - i have seen that you cannot apply for the 5 year license until after the 1 year has expired. Is there any time limit for the time to apply after the 1 years have expired?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello everybody

Hope someone can help - it's a bit complicated. We've just arrived on a 12 month non immigration 'O' visa (ticked the box for visiting family and friends) and can see the benefits of getting a Thai drivers licence as we are just testing the waters then will probably apply for the retirement visa. We have the necessary paperwork apart from a certificate of residency. Is there any way around this?

To explain, we are from the UK, but lived in Australia for 20 years so have dual nationality/passports. We sold up and have been travelling around for the last 3 years with no fixed address, but are still officially resident at an friends' address in Australia (we go back each year to lodge our tax returns and take care of legal and insurance things). We were visiting our families in the UK a couple of months ago when we applied for the 'O' visa - figured that as we were in UK it would be easier to use the UK passports. We do have a PLACE of residence for the next 10 months and the owner will put that (or pretty much anything else) in writing for us, but we haven't been resident of UK for 23 years so I can't see the British embassy doing anything to assist. As far as the Australian government is concerned we are still resident there - we lodge our tax returns, pay our Medicare, leave our registered and insured ute at a friend's house when we're away and have kept on nominal private health insurance; if they looked they would just see that we are residents who happen to spend 48 weeks of the year overseas and are noted as such on the electoral role so we don't get fined when we don't vote. I've looked into this closely and spoken with our accountant and for crazy but beautiful taxation reasons we are better not to give up Aus residency any time soon as we get refunds not bills and are covered by Medicare should the need ever arise.

Anything we can do about this? Even if we do decide to live here on a more permanent basis, I don't see any advantage of giving up Aus residency and would prefer not to.

So, what to do? If it helps, as we were for in the Kingdom for a few months during the protests earlier this year, for the first time ever I actually registered with the Aus embassy just in case and if we're going to be spending a year here I suppose I should re-register.

Any help or advise will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Hello everybody

Hope someone can help - it's a bit complicated. We've just arrived on a 12 month non immigration 'O' visa (ticked the box for visiting family and friends) and can see the benefits of getting a Thai drivers licence as we are just testing the waters then will probably apply for the retirement visa. We have the necessary paperwork apart from a certificate of residency. Is there any way around this?

To explain, we are from the UK, but lived in Australia for 20 years so have dual nationality/passports. We sold up and have been travelling around for the last 3 years with no fixed address, but are still officially resident at an friends' address in Australia (we go back each year to lodge our tax returns and take care of legal and insurance things). We were visiting our families in the UK a couple of months ago when we applied for the 'O' visa - figured that as we were in UK it would be easier to use the UK passports. We do have a PLACE of residence for the next 10 months and the owner will put that (or pretty much anything else) in writing for us, but we haven't been resident of UK for 23 years so I can't see the British embassy doing anything to assist. As far as the Australian government is concerned we are still resident there - we lodge our tax returns, pay our Medicare, leave our registered and insured ute at a friend's house when we're away and have kept on nominal private health insurance; if they looked they would just see that we are residents who happen to spend 48 weeks of the year overseas and are noted as such on the electoral role so we don't get fined when we don't vote. I've looked into this closely and spoken with our accountant and for crazy but beautiful taxation reasons we are better not to give up Aus residency any time soon as we get refunds not bills and are covered by Medicare should the need ever arise.

Anything we can do about this? Even if we do decide to live here on a more permanent basis, I don't see any advantage of giving up Aus residency and would prefer not to.

So, what to do? If it helps, as we were for in the Kingdom for a few months during the protests earlier this year, for the first time ever I actually registered with the Aus embassy just in case and if we're going to be spending a year here I suppose I should re-register.

Any help or advise will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Some of this depends on where you will apply for your license, and I do not know about the procedure with the Australian Embassy.

But, for the residency certificate the Department of Land Transport wants, the U.S. version was just a notarized form saying where I live in Thailand, and that I wanted to apply for a driver's license. I went to the citizen services office at the U.S. Embassy, completed a form, paid the fee, showed a copy of my condo lease, swore the information was correct, signed the document, they stamped it, and that was completed.

Some Thai immigration offices will issue a certificate, but Chaeng Wattana Bangkok, would not issue one to me because I'm here on a one year Multi-entry visa and haven't applied for the one year extension of stay yet.

I applied for a motorcycle license and a car license, and the items I submitted, original U.S. Driver License valid for both types of vehicle and 2 photo copies, passport and 2 each, copies of the information page, the visa, the entry samp, and arrival card, medical certificate, they accepted one original of the residence permit and medical certificate and their copies for the second license. I applied in Bangkok on Phahayothin Road near the Mo Chit BTS station/MRT station. The day I went took a couple of hours, but they were having computer problems that day, but otherwise an easy process and good service. I can provide more specific information and directions if you need.

Edited by beechguy

• 2 weeks later...

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

New requirement in the online Bangkok Post tonight:

New requirement for driver's licence

* Published: 5/10/2010 at 03:37 PM

* Online news: Breakingnews

People applying for a new driver's license or for an extension of a license will be required to have a doctor's certificate to show they are not suffering from an illness which could affect their driving.

The requirement is stated in a draft ministerial regulation of the Transport Ministry approved in principle by the cabinet on Tuesday, deputy government spokesman Supachai Jaisamut said.

The Transport Ministry proposed this new regulation because people can now apply for an extension of their driver's license without having to show a doctor's certificate showing they are not suffering from illnesses listed under Article 46 of the Automobile Act of 1979.

The new regulation, when in effect, will apply to driver's licenses for all kinds of vehicles.

.......We have the necessary paperwork apart from a certificate of residency. Is there any way around this? .............. we are better not to give up Aus residency any time soon........

I think you have simply misunderstood the Certificate of Residency. It is no more than a letter from Thai Immigration or your Embassy (the British Embasssy charge at least 10 times more than any immigration office!) giving your address in Thailand; it has nothing to do with where you are resident for tax purposes, etc.

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

New requirement in the online Bangkok Post tonight:

New requirement for driver's licence

* Published: 5/10/2010 at 03:37 PM

* Online news: Breakingnews

People applying for a new driver's license or for an extension of a license will be required to have a doctor's certificate to show they are not suffering from an illness which could affect their driving.

The requirement is stated in a draft ministerial regulation of the Transport Ministry approved in principle by the cabinet on Tuesday, deputy government spokesman Supachai Jaisamut said.

The Transport Ministry proposed this new regulation because people can now apply for an extension of their driver's license without having to show a doctor's certificate showing they are not suffering from illnesses listed under Article 46 of the Automobile Act of 1979.

The new regulation, when in effect, will apply to driver's licenses for all kinds of vehicles.

As long as you don't show up at the docs with a seeing eye dog it's a five minute formality and costs athe princely sum of between 30 and 80 baht ...

Doc: Are you alive?

You: It would appear so...

Doc: That will be 50 baht then, here's your chit...

You: Khup khun khrup, sawasdee khrup...

• 2 weeks later...

What about colour blindness which affects 10% of men but is rare in women?

Based on the colour test would they not be allowed to receive a Thai driving license, although they have already passed the test in their own home country?

Hi everyone!

Everywhere is written a Non-Immigrant-Visa is necessary for the 5 year renewal of a thai driving license....

But....

Is a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa SINGLE-entry sufficient for the 5 year renewal of my thai driving license or do I need a MULTIPLE-entry?

Anybody here got the 5 year renewal on a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa single-entry?

Thank you very much!

Regards.

Ben

Im a little bit confused.

I have no Uk licence's but have obtained a Moped licence in Chiang Mai. Can I get a Thai car driving licence.....?

When I got my moped licence I was offered and ASEAN one I think for a little bit more money but for some dumb reason I didnt take it. To clarigy was it the ASEAN one I got offered or am I confused..?