Pheu Thai Could Be Dissolved For Not Acting On Poll Vows

webfact

Failed promises 'could draw lawsuits'

By The Nation

30160496-01.jpg

Pheu Thai could be dissolved for not acting on poll vows, Democrat MP warns

A Democrat MP warned Pheu Thai Party yesterday to implement three major pre-poll promises by early next year or else workers, students and university graduates might seek its dissolution.

Songkhla MP Wirat Kalayasiri, a member of the Democrat team of legal experts, said Pheu Thai could be in trouble because of its promises to give a daily minimum wage of Bt300 to workers, and provide free tablet computers to 12 million students nationwide, and to guarantee university graduates a starting monthly salary of Bt15,000.

Wirat said the three promises should be part of Pheu Thai's policy statement next month.

He said a Pheu Thai-led coalition government should implement the policies by January next year or else it could face allegations it had deceived the people.

Wirat noted that deceiving voters to vote for a party would violate Article 53 of the MPs and Senators Election Act and such a violation could cause the party to be dissolved.

Wirat said if Pheu Thai failed to implement the pre-poll promises by January next year, the Democrats would not need to take action - students, workers and university graduates might seek its dissolution themselves.

In another development, the Democrats' failed candidate in Nakhon Nayok, Charnchai Issarasenarak - who was beaten by only 113 votes - said he would file a complaint with the Election Commission today to seek a recount of ballots in his province.

Charnchai said he had checked lists of voters who cast votes, and the number of counted ballots in 17 out of 463 polling stations in the provinces, and found discrepancies.

He said the number of counted ballots was 29 higher than the number of voters who cast votes at 17 polling stations.

Charnchai said he believed the discrepancy total could be higher if ballots were recounted at all the stations and the results might cause the winner to be changed as he was beaten by only 113 votes.

He said he had filed a suit with the Nakhon Nayok Court against six election officials, alleging they falsified documents. He said the court had agreed to conduct a trial.

He said he would inform the EC of the court's decision so the EC would agree to recount the ballots. If not, he would file a lawsuit against the EC commissioners, accusing them of malfeasance.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-18

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai People need to start getting used to politicians who say what ever they want

It is the same the world over

In Australia we have a female PM who lies through her teeth

Says one thing before she is elected then does a full turn around afterwards

The funny thing in my wifes village all the men are upset that a woman has control over men

They all say Thai men have come to their lowest level

After 6 years in Thailand I would have thought this was the general feeling of Thai men

The funny thing in my wifes village all the men are upset that a woman has control over men

After 6 years in Thailand I would have thought this was the general feeling of Thai men

What, you mean that the blokes still haven't realised that Thailand is a patriarchal society run by women.

Another brilliant represesentative of the Democrat party speaks.

And there are still foreigners that insist the Democrats should have been elected. :cheesy: :cheesy:

A couple of bad apples doesn't mean that they are rotten to the core.

And there are still foreigners that insist the Democrats should have been elected. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Is there something wrong with their warnings?

There are clauses in the electoral law pertaining to parties lying about their policy promises. The people that those promises affect could bring action against the PTP.

This is the weakest attempt at provocation I have seen yet! quite what this was meant to initiate is beyond me, with such weak groundings I think the picture on the internet will be the pinnacle of its success!

Quite clearly a pathetic attempt for power,as the democratic vote couldnt do that.Are these guys supposed to be intelligent or babies throwing their dummy pout,and they have never lied before have they lol.If the party is lying about the laptops/uni fees,then vote them out at the next election,not cry like little babies,the democrats are a real nasty bunch of adolescent children

You must be living in a muslim village or some other conservative hole.

Where I live, everyone around me (including thai men) are glad that a woman gets to be PM.

Edited by ricku

This is the weakest attempt at provocation I have seen yet! quite what this was meant to initiate is beyond me, with such weak groundings I think the picture on the internet will be the pinnacle of its success!

Quite clearly a pathetic attempt for power,as the democratic vote couldnt do that.Are these guys supposed to be intelligent or babies throwing their dummy pout,and they have never lied before have they lol.If the party is lying about the laptops/uni fees,then vote them out at the next election,not cry like little babies,the democrats are a real nasty bunch of adolescent children

HOW would the Democrats gain power through this?

This is just getting more and more ridiculous...

So the Democrats lost this election; isn't it time for their politicians to accept the result and move forward??

Possibly start by looking within and figuring out what went wrong, what can be improved, how to appeal to the broader Thai electorate in future?

This is (Thai) politics - claiming that PT could be in trouble for not fulfilling their election promises is about as baseless as claiming 'the war will be over by Christmas'.

It smacks of political short-sightedness, childishness and a cheap last gasp attempt to regain some lost face.

Time to grow up, or time to dumb down?

I think you need to change this:

the democrats are a real nasty bunch of adolescent children

to this:

the POLITICIANS are a real nasty bunch of adolescent children

There are clauses in the electoral law pertaining to parties lying about their policy promises. The people that those promises affect could bring action against the PTP.

Really? Please cite the law that refers to this specific case. I find it odd, that all sorts of posts are made in TV about the need to go slow on the campaign platform and the Nation publishes story after story demanding that the PTP policies be abandoned. And yet, now, these same people are demanding the party platform be carried out fully.

Make up your minds.

There most certainly is leeway allowed for a political party to amend its policies when circumstances require the changes. You really don't have a case here. However, please carry on.

The anti PTP cabal might be lacking in reliable arguments, but they certainly compensate it by being such a peppy group.

Wirat said the three promises should be part of Pheu Thai's policy statement next month.<BR sab="361"><BR sab="362">He said a Pheu Thai-led coalition government should implement the policies by January next year or else it could face allegations it had deceived the people.<BR sab="363">

I guess it will be no problem to produce just one more big lie and include the promises in the policy statement next month,if I count correct there is still 5 months left from that date to pack our bags as by that time the big hero might have returned and it might be clear to most of their voters that was the only point for PTP and the :hit-the-fan: big time.

Ludicrous. The Democrats seem to be intent on turning their party into a bigger joke than it already is. Look around the world. Loads of parties renege on everything they promise. And then it is the voters who can reject them later if they want to. The Democrats seem to be obsessed with using courts for everything. I know they are virtually unelectable but trying to take away the right of the people to judge whether a government fulfills its pledges is really insane. The adults in the party really need to take control

Really? Please cite the law that refers to this specific case. I find it odd, that all sorts of posts are made in TV about the need to go slow on the campaign platform and the Nation publishes story after story demanding that the PTP policies be abandoned. And yet, now, these same people are demanding the party platform be carried out fully.

Make up your minds.

There most certainly is leeway allowed for a political party to amend its policies when circumstances require the changes. You really don't have a case here. However, please carry on.

The anti PTP cabal might be lacking in reliable arguments, but they certainly compensate it by being such a peppy group.

How about you read the OP.

Wirat noted that deceiving voters to vote for a party would violate Article 53 of the MPs and Senators Election Act and such a violation could cause the party to be dissolved.

I'm not a lawyer or a judge, so I don't know if the laws have been broken or not, but that shouldn't stop people from asking the question.

Ludicrous. The Democrats seem to be intent on turning their party into a bigger joke than it already is. Look around the world. Loads of parties renege on everything they promise. And then it is the voters who can reject them later if they want to. The Democrats seem to be obsessed with using courts for everything. I know they are virtually unelectable but trying to take away the right of the people to judge whether a government fulfills its pledges is really insane. The adults in the party really need to take control

Your party,(it sounds like) are unbelievably clean and transparent -and its leader to be and it's ex leader.

Give us a break, clamp it. talk about faults on both sides and weigh them up, and then come to an honest conclusion.

Your party,(it sounds like) are unbelievably clean and transparent -and its leader to be and it's ex leader.

Give us a break, clamp it. talk about faults on both sides and weigh them up, and then come to an honest conclusion.

I dont have a stake in this game and if you care to look through my posting history over the years, you will find few as critical of Thaksin, his various parties and the red movement as I have been. So I think I reach the criteria of even handedness for which you call in judging amazing behaviour of the countries oldest party and this really is quite amazing

When it comes to elections, every politician and party, in every democratic country, could be accused of deceiving the electorate. Fortunately for most of them, the voters are generally more realisitc than that. Here, in Thailand, much of the electorate view, as set in stone, such promises, and it could be said that PT won the election on the back of false promises.

Perhaps all political parties should be legally obliged to only commit to policies which they can, and will, enact.

Has modern Thai politics, or should I say modern Thai election results, always been dominated by legal challenges? Or is this just a recent phenomenon?

seems to be the norm over over here, and it's getting worse.

I find it odd, that all sorts of posts are made in TV about the need to go slow on the campaign platform and the Nation publishes story after story demanding that the PTP policies be abandoned. And yet, now, these same people are demanding the party platform be carried out fully.

Make up your minds.

What is so difficult to understand?

News sources, business agencies and some TV posters alike were stating that the PT policies were ill advised and many couldn't not be achieved without damaging the country's economy, but PT didn't relent before the vote, they carried on banging the drum.

And now the news sources, business agencies and some TV posters are saying......

"Go on then, put your money where your mouth is"

I fail to see a problem with that.