Thai Red Cross Seriously Short Of Blood

george

Red Cross seriously short of blood

Donations running low for all groups

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Red Cross Society's National Blood Centre is now seriously short of blood in all blood groups due to a sharp drop in donations. Centre director Ratchanee Ocharoen said the centre's daily blood reserve has now fallen to just 1,000 units, far below the standard level of 4,500 units. One unit is equivalent to 450cc.

She attributed the sharp decline in blood donations to the recent floods, which had affected a large number of people in Bangkok and the provinces, as well as the closure of educational establishments during the long vacation period.

The centre has to supply Bangkok hospitals with about 1,500 units of blood per day, while it needs to hold about 3,000 units in reserve for emergencies.

The centre's branches at Somdej Phra Pinklao, Phra Mongkutklao, Bhumibol, Police General, Wachira and provincial hospitals were facing the same problem.

``It is of serious concern that hospitals in the three southernmost border provinces need blood from the centre on a daily basis to treat injured soldiers. Local blood centres are also not able to send out their units to seek donations at present,'' she said.

Shortages of blood in O and Rh-negative groups were now critical. Up to 37% of the Thai population was of the O group, while only four in every thousand Thais had Rh-negative blood.

Since a large amount of blood donations tended to be made around national holidays, the centre would expand the donation window during each holiday to a week.

Dr Ratchanee said she was confident that kind-hearted people would flock to donate blood whenever large volumes were required in one fell swoop.

While the centre was facing a shortage, it was trying to find ways to increase its reserves of blood, such as through a trial project to manufacture a blood substitute from haemoglobin.

Chanthakorn Chutidamrong, 68, president of the Blood Donors Society who has donated blood 100 times, urged people to join the 2,600 who had given blood to help save lives. He claimed donating blood regularly was good for the health.

Research showed that giving blood could lower the risk of high blood pressure and heart failure.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-23

Red Cross Agency : National Blood Center

Telephone Number : 0-2252-4106-9

Fax Number : 0-2255-5558,

Email : [email protected]

Address : 1871 Henry Dunant Road, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

Working hours :

Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday and Fridays : 8:00 - 16:30 hrs

Thursdays : 7:30 - 18:30 hrs

Saturdays and other public holidays : 8:00 - 12:00 hrs

Sundays : 12:00 - 16:00 hrs

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Red Cross Society's National Blood Centre is now seriously short of blood in all blood groups due to a sharp drop in donations. Centre director Ratchanee Ocharoen said the centre's daily blood reserve has now fallen to just 1,000 units, far below the standard level of 4,500 units. One unit is equivalent to 450cc.

She attributed the sharp decline in blood donations to the recent floods, which had affected a large number of people in Bangkok and the provinces, as well as the closure of educational establishments during the long vacation period.

The centre has to supply Bangkok hospitals with about 1,500 units of blood per day, while it needs to hold about 3,000 units in reserve for emergencies.

The centre's branches at Somdej Phra Pinklao, Phra Mongkutklao, Bhumibol, Police General, Wachira and provincial hospitals were facing the same problem.

``It is of serious concern that hospitals in the three southernmost border provinces need blood from the centre on a daily basis to treat injured soldiers. Local blood centres are also not able to send out their units to seek donations at present,'' she said.

Shortages of blood in O and Rh-negative groups were now critical. Up to 37% of the Thai population was of the O group, while only four in every thousand Thais had Rh-negative blood.

Since a large amount of blood donations tended to be made around national holidays, the centre would expand the donation window during each holiday to a week.

Dr Ratchanee said she was confident that kind-hearted people would flock to donate blood whenever large volumes were required in one fell swoop.

While the centre was facing a shortage, it was trying to find ways to increase its reserves of blood, such as through a trial project to manufacture a blood substitute from haemoglobin.

Chanthakorn Chutidamrong, 68, president of the Blood Donors Society who has donated blood 100 times, urged people to join the 2,600 who had given blood to help save lives. He claimed donating blood regularly was good for the health.

Research showed that giving blood could lower the risk of high blood pressure and heart failure.

ok ill go and give blood again tomorrow im orh+ the most common

its down the road towards lumpinee from mbk

How about in Phuket.. anyone have an idea ??

I also went after the Tsunami becuase there was an 'urgent need' did the hours waiting to be told.. have no need sorry..

Then 3 days later another news report of 'urgent need' emailed out by the Gazette.. So I go along, again hour or so wait to be told.. Sorry no need..

Left my number and name as a donor.. Never called..

I have no problem and am more than willing to donate but am reluctant to go and waste another afternoon schelping over to Phuket town to be told to go home.

A tiny bit of management of those lists of numbers of willing donors would work wonders (email and SMS notification of the required blood types).. I guess I am just thinking with a mindset that hasnt fully adjusted yet.

Edited by LivinLOS

i donated every 3 months leaw naa. I can't donate today or tomorrow. For my next appointment is 1 December.  :o , can't help at this time.

It would be nice to be able to donate blood today since I am off work and would be happy to help others. But what a shame, they are closed for the holiday!!! Morons! I have to think that the supply would be fine if they wroked something other than bankers hours (guess that's why they call it a blood bank). I had a similar problem during the Tsunami, I would call the hotline and be willing to taxi anywhere in Bangkok if they could tell me of a place I could go after work. True, sometimes they had late hours but it never seemed to be during the times I was calling. Anybody know where I can go today to give blood, or should I just forget about it.

in chaing mia would be willing to donate

I gave blood in July,just before I left England-for the 1st time in years,it made me feel good.I'd like to go & do it again here in Thailand.I live in Krabi & am more than willing to go to the hospital to do so.Is it a national cry for donors or are they only needed in Bkk ?