Am I Divorced?

techie

Hi all....

Strange one this, dont know if anyone will know...

Married a Thai lady in 2003, moved to England shortly after and she got a ILR.

In 2006 we split and she moved back to Thailand. Havent seen her since..

Now i need to move on in life, im trying to work out a way of a divorce but im wondering is she has divorced me??

Now, does anyone know how i would find this out.

We married in BKK..

Thanks for any help...

having seen the divorce process take place it is possible that you are now divorced without you been there.usually if you were there you both go to the amphur you were married(of course this changes depending on who's working on the day and any amphur may be good enough. you usually get similar papers to one you got when you were married.

now with you not been present if she paid enough the person in the amphur may accept a small donation whistling.gif and just do it without you not been there. believe me i have experience this. so maybe you should just go and ask in the amphur you married in

Edited by irishken

Any Thai amphur can tell you if you are still married. Chances are you are still married.

You can only get divorced at the amphur if both parties agree and both have to sign the divorce register and hand in the marriage certificates. If you don't both agree it would mean one has to go to court.

Best is to try and locate her and talk about a divorce at the amphur. This can be done in 30 minutes, without costs. Only when you have property to split up (or children) it is advisable to get a lawyer to draw up a settlement agreement.

If she doesn't agree, you will have to file for a divorce at the court. (Either in the uK or in Thailand.

Thai law only knows a division of property acquired during the marriage, there is no alimony. Assests include any debts, that is why it is wise not to let things linger.

thanks for the replys folks...

Im going to contact the amphur first to see if they can tell me if im still legally married..

I wont put it past a donation being paid at all....

We did legally marry and got the certificates and relevant translations..

I didnt do anything after the marriage though, i didnt inform the english embassey or do anything when back in the uk...

i will try to contact the amphur on the documents to see if i can find anything out..

Many Thanks...

As mentioned previously if you can not locate her for an 'uncontested' (amphur) divorce than the below are grounds (contested) to go to court for settlement. This is assuming you have found that a divorce by her has not taken place already and either can not locate her or she is unwilling.

Grounds for Thailand Divorce

Here are the grounds required to be proven in a Thailand divorce case:

Separation for three years or more

Abandonment for at least one year

The husband has another wife

The wife committed adultery

Misconduct (criminal or civil)

Physical and/or mental abuse

Failure to provide maintenance and support

Incurable insanity for at least 3 years

Broken bond of good behavior

Incurable, contagious and dangerous disease (e.g. AIDS, HIV, etc.)

Inability to cohabit as husband and wife due to physical disadvantage

Thailand Divorce

Thanks guys...

Im going to try to contcat the amphur... would this be possible from outside thailand as i am in the uk...?

I will have a look for websites...

Thanks for the help and comments so far, really are helpfull...