Air Conditioners Unit For My Home

The AC units in my condo are about 6 years old. I have been to the Power Buy and Central to check out the different versions.

The reason I started looking at this is because I thought I would clean the filter on mine and the repair guy basically said, he can't do anything much, can clean it but can't change the filter. There is only a basic mechanism for blocking the intake air and no antibacterial protection, not much filtering, no H1N1, smell, dust protection etc., which are standard on a lot of the units in the stores.

Another interesting thing the sales guy said (hopeing I can get some verification here), he said all the AC units that are sold into condos are crap, they are the cheapest types available. Reason is, nobody sees them, nobody knows anything about AC units and nobody asks questions about them. The are the cheap types you would see in a factory. I looked into the ceiling at my place and the AC unit is basic, no body (makes sense because it's mounted in the ceiling) but I can't even change the filter, it's built into the unit.

The downside of buying a new AC unit is they have to be mounted on the wall and they don't add to the esthetics of a room. I really don't want a device that says "Samsung AC model number xxx" on my wall. If it said nothing it would be better but they obviously want to promote so...

The sales guy also said it was not possible to buy good AC units that are mounted in a ceiling that have all the protection mentioned above. He says "they don't make them". Actually that was said by sales guys at both Home Pro and at Central.

Anybody have any experience here?

We bought our Samsung ACs at Homepro a few months ago. We decided to get the slightly more expensive inverter types to save electricity.

They are 12,000BTU units, wall mounted with filters that can cleaned. Look nice to me. We paid 23000 each.

Recently we had the wall mount unit thoroughly cleaned in our condo. Man, was that thing filthy.

The man used a high pressure sprayer and hosed down everything after partial dis-assembly.

Really happy to see this thread.

I am about to shop for several air con units.

Visited Home Pro in Khon Kaen recently.

They basically convinced my wife to buy 20-30000 BTU units for each and every God dam_n room in our new house.

If I didnt stop it, I would have paid 500 000 Bhat in only air cons!

When searching on internet and Forums, it seems like the world is divided into quite a few camps in regards to how big units one need for the vatious rooms.

So, after 10+ years in Thailand, the biggest problem I have ever faced, is to choose the air con unit sizes.

Presently in apartment in BKK, and I see an old Saijo Denki wallmounted 13 000 BTU unit cools down one small bedroom (2x4 meters), pluss half the living room (door to bedroom open).

ceiling mounts exist , i have seen them and yes they have filters.

Keep looking.

Well that is good news that they are available. They don't exist at Central Chitlom, nor at Power Buy. If you know where to go to buy them, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'd like them to have all the features of the wall mount units.

My experience was similar to what Dr.EvilSomkit said, the unit was filthy and there was no way to clean it without some disassembly. Beyond that, it was just dead-basic.

I really need to change especially the units in our bedrooms, as it is now, my kids are sleeping in rooms with those old crappy AC units.

To Travel2003, I forget the BTU/sq meter spec, I need to research that again. Could probably google that question.

There should be a filter in the evaporator of your unit that can be removed and cleaned. Over time all units become very dirty. Depending where the filter is located will determine how long it will take for the evaporator to become dirty. If the filter is in the return air flow the evaporator will stay cleaner longer if in the supply side the evaporator will become dirty very quick needing cleaning on a regular basis to maintain efficent operation.

I doubt the sales people know much about the product they sale, I would go to an actual a/c shop for information.

If the filter is in the return air flow the evaporator will stay cleaner longer if in the supply side the evaporator will become dirty very quick..

are you trying to tell us that there are manufacturers or installers who do not mount the filter in the return??? :huh:

Keep looking.

Well that is good news that they are available. They don't exist at Central Chitlom, nor at Power Buy. If you know where to go to buy them, I'd appreciate it.

My experience was similar to what Dr.EvilSomkit said, the unit was filthy and there was no way to clean it without some disassembly. Beyond that, it was just dead-basic.

I really need to change especially the units in our bedrooms, as it is now, my kids are sleeping in rooms with those old crappy AC units.

To Travel2003, I forget the BTU/sq meter spec, I need to research that again. Could probably google that question.

GIYF

http://www.daikin.co.th/Eng/product/sky_air/TwinCassetes.htm

http://www.daikin.co.th/Eng/product/sky_air/linesky.htm

Keep looking.

It's been a long time ago, can't remember.

Just now about 2 minutes ago i saw a tv commercial for the Midea brand , ceiling mount.

12-14k btu is enough for 40 smt room, i suckered in to buying 25k btu and it never cycled properly, make sure you get a digital thermostat, the old dial ones do not work very well.