Bringing Money Into Thailand For A 4 Month Visit

I will be coming over to Thailand for a 4 month visit as a tourist (visa issues are ok). I have been there before but only for a month or so, and I just use travelers checks and my debit card so real easy. I have read the postings here on how to open a Thai bank account, but for a 4 month stay on a tourist visa it sounds doubtful (even though I will probably be doing this every year).

If I decide to stay at a serviced apartment, no problem - they will take my card and I can use my Schwab card for ATMs. But if I decide to rent an apartment on a short term basis from a private owner, I assume they will not take debit cards. I am sure I am not the first person in this situation. I am curious as to what others have done as a visitor (I am from the US) to cover their expenses on a long term visit. I will probably want to bring over about 100,000 baht per month for living expenses, all inclusive.

Thanks

You have some options, you could either go inside one of the larger branches of a bank (suggest Bangkok Bank) and get them to do a manual transaction with your card for larger amounts than the ATM will allow (100k as example) all you'll need is your card and passport.

ATM is fine for day to day stuff although depending on your bank the fees may mount up.

Best option is open an account, dont be put off if one says no, that can be because they dont understand or cant be bothered, you need to be persistant.

Better to try for the account when you have an address for a rented apartment rather than a hotel.

When you have your account opened, transfer money from your home account (online) and then you are all set.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CharlieH

You can travel with $10,000 USD no problem. That would be about 300,000 baht or 3 months worth of cash if you are spending 100,000 baht a month. 100,000 baht a month is a lot of money. One can certainly spend that much, but do you really need to? So many ways to enjoy the country without staying at the Shangri-la hotel and paying a ton a night.

Happy trails

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

CharlieH - would I be forced to take that amount of baht (say thirty thousand) in cash or is there such a thing as cashier's check or bank check in Thailand that I could make payable to the landlord for, say, one months rent. etc. (do the private landlords there always want cash?). Probably my best option is when I find an apartment, see if the landlord will go down to the bank with me do do that transaction. I just don't feel comfortable walking around Thailand with a large amount of cash on me. I am expecting to spend 20,000 to 30,000 a month for a short term apt. - the 100,000 total expenses was just a high end estimate for everything, including domestic travel.

I am glad to know that Kasikorn bank is a possibility. I have used them to cash my travelers checks and they have always been good to deal with. I go to the same one near Sanam Pao BTS every time so they might recognize me. Plus I have a Thai lawyer friend who might be willing to accompany me and make me appear to be an upstanding citizen of the world.

Cheers.

Edited by californiabeachboy

^^yes you can get a cashiers cheque from any bank, costs 20 Baht, better ask the landlord first if he will accept it. If not get him to go to the bank with yu and hand over the cash there.

Get an ATM debit card for your bank account and you can use that to pay at most places if you're making big purchases and don't want to carry a lot of cash with you.