Many Thais Say Corruption Is Acceptable If Country Prospers, Poll Finds

webfact

Are some people really that short sighted? The reason most people can't prosper 'is' because of corruption! Do these people who think corruption is okay have dreams of becoming rich themselves one day? Do they think the only way to become rich is to be corrupt? Therefore, you may as well allow it because it might come in handy in the future.

A lot of the rich Thais are so rich it's vulgar. I'd personally like to Robin Hood the lot of 'em.

How about you "Robin Hood" the rich and corrupt in your own country first. Hey, then we would move on to Greece where people are on strike about corruption, and save Europe! But the one's that really affected the whole world are the rich and corrupt of the USA, bringing down the banking system with repurcussions everywhere. Not to mention the three musketeers George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, and all their cronies, throwing the nation into war and profiting from it. If Thais are happy with things, leave it alone. You are not Thai. This is Thailand.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The root of the problem is that Buddhism has not managed to inculcate an underlying morality; this, I think, is true of religions/philosophies in most Asian countries, China and Japan being the honourable exceptions.

The only real morality which Thais seem to follow is centred on the family unit, the family being extended to a greater or lesser extent depending on the individual, and in particular on his education. Any Thai who wishes to challenge this, please do; I'd love to learn different.

In the West, two thousand years of Christian ethics has given us an underlying moral system which still largely persists even though Christianity has declined. Most of the Ten Commandments is actually plain common sense (and in this thread I am deliberately excluding the religious precepts).

Where is the difference? You're talking nonsense.

There is no difference between the percepts and the commandments, (except there is 5 more) but the 5 more or less worded different cover the 10

It's been stated many times on the forum by different individuals, they are more animist rather than Buddhist, here in Thailand

But in all religions the majority is the case of the blind (teachers-Priest- Mullahs) etc leading the blind. Occasionally comes one of knowledge but not many.

Morality is taught by all religions, its just a case of who is teaching it

Not really.

I believe morality is taught to children at a much younger age.

This is achieved through traditional fairy stories, fables, parables and the like.

Many H.C. Andersen tales, Esop's fables and the like teach children the folly of wrong doing.

Parenting is also key.

I have no doubt that many of us raised in the West have an inherent sense of what is right and wrong, and that this has bugger all to do with religion.

By comparison, I note the completly lassaise faire stance that Thai parents take towards their offspring prior to sending them to an almost militarised education.

I would be interested know if Thai kids get to hear fairy tales or fables. Anyone know?

You should see the behavior pattern of some of the children in the more deprived areas of Britain and I am sure the USA has the same.

Not everyone was brought up on fairy stories, many on horror stories, that sums up the higher moral ground. See them in Pataya/ Phuket

Corruption in the west is as high as it is anywhere, it is just played at a different level, Offer a police officer $50 or 100 pounds GBP and you're likely to get arrested and go to jail, But if you're a big drug dealer and pass across 1m then they take it and your off the hook, (if they can)

Same in business in the West, at the top of the ladder it goes on at the bottom it does not, simply because the stakes are not high enough, could be called greed, Now there is a good religious teaching, never be corrupt unless the stakes are high enough. Who was it that said "A rich man can never enter the Kingdom of Heaven" I forget (facetious)

Who was it that said "A rich man can NEVER enter the Kingdom of Heaven"?

Please inform me.

Survey: Thais Tolerate Corrupt Politicians

A survey conducted by ABAC Poll indicates that most Thais can accept corrupted politicians as long as their lives are improved.

An ABAC Poll, which questioned about 2,600 people who were above 18 years old in 17 provinces nationwide, suggests that 63 percent of male correspondents and 65 percent of female interviewees feel it is acceptable if the government is corrupt, as long as residents gain some benefit.

Those who are tolerable of a corrupted government consisted of 71 percent of Thais under 20 years old, and 70 percent of adults aged between 20 to 29.

About 72 percent of students voiced the same opinion.

However, 74 percent of those who were questioned insisted they would file a complaint against corrupted community leaders, and 72 percent of those who answered the survey added that they would inform police, to punish bad politicians.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-21

footer_n.gif

thailand is supposed to be a buddish country, only on paper, look at the morals (sex capital of the world), corruption, the countless murders written of as suicides...

but hey farangs, who gives a s**t anyway... are you suffering with your 60.000+ pensions per month + tenthousands of baht of intrest from the bank as most TV members here seem to be millionaires and not only in baht apparently

Just because I'm a retired farang, and able to provide my family with a good standard-of-living, doesn't mean that I've forgotten my roots or that I shouldn't want others (including poor Thais) to also benefit from self-funded further-education or risk-taking and hard-work, as I did.

Some people think that, having climbed some way 'up the ladder', they should then kick it away from the wall, to spite those following-behind, but I do not agree. I want them to do well, pay tax & help fund my retirement through dividends or pensions, and not stay-home with their hands forever out for a 'gift'. So even if-only out of self-interest, it does make sense to "give a shit", about those poorer than yourself in our adopted home-country.

And corruption robs the country of its hard-earned investment-potential, Thailand isn't some rich oil-state, which can afford to have the rich skimming-off 20% of everything, and still pay the peasants enough to keep them quiet. The country can advance, if corruption is reduced, or can become another Cambodia ... and it is 'up to them' which way they choose to go, the results of polls like this aren't encouraging. :(

Corruption in the west is as high as it is anywhere, it is just played at a different level, Offer a police officer $50 or 100 pounds GBP and you’re likely to get arrested and go to jail, But if you’re a big drug dealer and pass across 1m then they take it and your off the hook, (if they can)

Same in business in the West, at the top of the ladder it goes on at the bottom it does not, simply because the stakes are not high enough, could be called greed, Now there is a good religious teaching, never be corrupt unless the stakes are high enough. Who was it that said “A rich man can never enter the Kingdom of Heaven” I forget (facetious)

The issue then becomes, is there a good chance that the receiver of the cash will get caught. To see that the most senior policeman in the UK has just resigned over receiving a free trip to a spa in the UK, suggests that you are missing the point. Just look at Blagovich in the US, in deep do-do. People anywhere in the world have a number that they will consider, but it is often qualified with the perceived odds of getting away with it.

Corruption exists everywhere, but to believe that the West (which is a pretty big place don't forget) doesn't have a better handle on controlling, preventing and prosecuting it, is just blatantly wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Rather humourous in terms of the religious discussion that the Vatican city in this measurement is rated as N/D. Presumably it should be maximum score, unless they are dealing with dodgy priests, or wondering where Jim Bakker's money went.

Are some people really that short sighted? The reason most people can't prosper 'is' because of corruption! Do these people who think corruption is okay have dreams of becoming rich themselves one day? Do they think the only way to become rich is to be corrupt? Therefore, you may as well allow it because it might come in handy in the future.

A lot of the rich Thais are so rich it's vulgar. I'd personally like to Robin Hood the lot of 'em.

How about you "Robin Hood" the rich and corrupt in your own country first. Hey, then we would move on to Greece where people are on strike about corruption, and save Europe! But the one's that really affected the whole world are the rich and corrupt of the USA, bringing down the banking system with repurcussions everywhere. Not to mention the three musketeers George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, and all their cronies, throwing the nation into war and profiting from it. If Thais are happy with things, leave it alone. You are not Thai. This is Thailand.

Never mind Robin Hood, and that Bul##it, You said the Thais are happy with it, YOU are a joker, you think they are happy with all this?? get out more -talk to them. You are also not Thai, and are free to speak, but to tell someone to more or less shut up because of the glaring wrongs here, then you are wrong.

Yes the Thais are going the way they want (corrupt) as they think they benefit from it ( Today) is all they care about, and stuff the rest (with respect) in general.

thailand is supposed to be a buddish country, only on paper, look at the morals (sex capital of the world), corruption, the countless murders written of as suicides...

but hey farangs, who gives a s**t anyway... are you suffering with your 60.000+ pensions per month + tenthousands of baht of intrest from the bank as most TV members here seem to be millionaires and not only in baht apparently

Just because I'm a retired farang, and able to provide my family with a good standard-of-living, doesn't mean that I've forgotten my roots or that I shouldn't want others (including poor Thais) to also benefit from self-funded further-education or risk-taking and hard-work, as I did.

Some people think that, having climbed some way 'up the ladder', they should then kick it away from the wall, to spite those following-behind, but I do not agree. I want them to do well, pay tax & help fund my retirement through dividends or pensions, and not stay-home with their hands forever out for a 'gift'. So even if-only out of self-interest, it does make sense to "give a shit", about those poorer than yourself in our adopted home-country.

And corruption robs the country of its hard-earned investment-potential, Thailand isn't some rich oil-state, which can afford to have the rich skimming-off 20% of everything, and still pay the peasants enough to keep them quiet. The country can advance, if corruption is reduced, or can become another Cambodia ... and it is 'up to them' which way they choose to go, the results of polls like this aren't encouraging. :(

I couldn't agree more. Cheers.

Corruption in the west is as high as it is anywhere, it is just played at a different level, Offer a police officer $50 or 100 pounds GBP and you're likely to get arrested and go to jail, But if you're a big drug dealer and pass across 1m then they take it and your off the hook, (if they can)

This statement is inconsistent and logically opposite. It is also contradictory and totally without merit!

The root of the problem is that Buddhism has not managed to inculcate an underlying morality; this, I think, is true of religions/philosophies in most Asian countries, China and Japan being the honourable exceptions.

The only real morality which Thais seem to follow is centred on the family unit, the family being extended to a greater or lesser extent depending on the individual, and in particular on his education. Any Thai who wishes to challenge this, please do; I'd love to learn different.

In the West, two thousand years of Christian ethics has given us an underlying moral system which still largely persists even though Christianity has declined. Most of the Ten Commandments is actually plain common sense (and in this thread I am deliberately excluding the religious precepts).

Very well said

It may be that the 60 odd percent of Thais who think corruption is acceptable are merely accepting the reality in which they live, corruption is in the DNA of Thailand it is found in all sectors. Who is going to tackle corruption in Thailand? The Politicians? The Army? not while the wealthy elite are able to purchase their support in keeping things 'as they are'. The police in Thailand are unlike to go on a crusade against corruption are they? No one with the power to even contemplate dealing with corruption is ever likely to embark on such a mission so the poll results merely reflect the reality of this country as it is.

You're not Thai either. Saying 'Thais are happy with things' is a completely ignorant statement. Look at all the political unrest!

I'm not American, and I will leave their problems to them. I've never witnessed or been involved with any corrupt act. I have a good job but came from a relatively poor family. You want things in life then you have to work for them. That's how I was taught.

By the way, are you American? If not, then leave it alone. You're not American. That is America.

Thanks by the way for speaking of the behalf of the Thai people. They would love to know some farang's representing them and their feelings.

Edited by rkidlad

Years ago I was doing a SouthEast Asian Studies course at London Uni and there was a lecture about the role of Karma in Thai society. I asked a question about a hypothetical criminal who kidnapped people and forced them into prostitution and whether his karma would still be 'in the black' if he subsequently made substantial payments to a local temple.

The answer from my Thai professor was that the man's good karma could outweigh his bad. I've never forgotten that. Sometimes it seems that the concept of morality itself is just a western construct.

Very well said

Nice to please somebody, Rubin!

Most of those who've commented on my post did not seem to realise that I was talking about 'an underlying morality', not specifically corruption... and I was very careful to say that it was given to us by Christianity, not that it was Christianity as it obtains at present.

I very much agree with your post here. I wish there was a way to give approval or thanks for a post without taking up more space in the thread.

It may be that the 60 odd percent of Thais who think corruption is acceptable are merely accepting the reality in which they live, corruption is in the DNA of Thailand it is found in all sectors. Who is going to tackle corruption in Thailand? The Politicians? The Army? not while the wealthy elite are able to purchase their support in keeping things 'as they are'. The police in Thailand are unlike to go on a crusade against corruption are they? No one with the power to even contemplate dealing with corruption is ever likely to embark on such a mission so the poll results merely reflect the reality of this country as it is.

Yes, and that reality is a very sad one indeed.

Years ago I was doing a SouthEast Asian Studies course at London Uni and there was a lecture about the role of Karma in Thai society. I asked a question about a hypothetical criminal who kidnapped people and forced them into prostitution and whether his karma would still be 'in the black' if he subsequently made substantial payments to a local temple.

The answer from my Thai professor was that the man's good karma could outweigh his bad. I've never forgotten that. Sometimes it seems that the concept of morality itself is just a western construct.

That is very interesting if I understood you. I think you said that a Thai could decide to engage in the most terrible behavior imaginable if he/she believed that his/her good Karma was much greater than his/her bad Karma. I suppose the Thai might think that even after doing something horrible their good Karma would still be greater than their bad Karma, so, "no problem," steal, kill, lie, cheat, etc.

That is very interesting if I understood you. I think you said that a Thai could decide to engage in the most terrible behavior imaginable if he/she believed that his/her good Karma was much greater than his/her bad Karma. I suppose the Thai might think that even after doing something horrible their good Karma would still be greater than their bad Karma, so, "no problem," steal, kill, lie, cheat, etc.

Maybe I'm misinformed as I'm not christian/catholic but isn't that just what going to church on Sunday and repenting for all your sins to the Priest is about?

Where is the difference? You're talking nonsense.

There is no difference between the percepts and the commandments, (except there is 5 more) but the 5 more or less worded different cover the 10

It's been stated many times on the forum by different individuals, they are more animist rather than Buddhist, here in Thailand

But in all religions the majority is the case of the blind (teachers-Priest- Mullahs) etc leading the blind. Occasionally comes one of knowledge but not many.

Morality is taught by all religions, its just a case of who is teaching it

Not really.

I believe morality is taught to children at a much younger age.

This is achieved through traditional fairy stories, fables, parables and the like.

Many H.C. Andersen tales, Esop's fables and the like teach children the folly of wrong doing.

Parenting is also key.

I have no doubt that many of us raised in the West have an inherent sense of what is right and wrong, and that this has bugger all to do with religion.

By comparison, I note the completly lassaise faire stance that Thai parents take towards their offspring prior to sending them to an almost militarised education.

I would be interested know if Thai kids get to hear fairy tales or fables. Anyone know?

You should see the behavior pattern of some of the children in the more deprived areas of Britain and I am sure the USA has the same.

Not everyone was brought up on fairy stories, many on horror stories, that sums up the higher moral ground. See them in Pataya/ Phuket

Hmm..

Yes, of course you are quite correct.

However, this does not affect my central premise that it is parenting, at an early age, that instills us with a basic sense of right and wrong. In those far distant days, mothers had some help from the BBC with programs, often with simple moral tales. Whether they have programs today with the intellectual clout of the Flower Pot Men and the Woodentops I know not!!

Thai kids just don't seem to be brought up in this way. They receive zero control when they are very young, get forced to conform when they are at school and then are released into the world with a very weak moral code.

Every Thai I know is out for themselves and their immediate family. The community and Thai society counts for naught.

All Thais know that all wrongdoing can be put right with a short visit to the Wat.

Once in the late 90s, I was in Bangkok with my lady friend (now my wife) and her best friend. The friend proudly showed me this SLR camera that she had found left in a bar. They were both horrified when I handed it in to the police. I often wonder how much the police sold it for!

Never had a problem getting a VAT receipt for a company purchase. Just annoying to wait for them to write the details out.

I've always got receipts from expressways when I've asked for them. Hardly a rigmarole to just ask for one now is it.

All I can conclude is that no one in the country has realised that the costs to society of corruption ALWAYS outweigh the benefits. But then that would need someone to teach people this concept, and we have had a thousand threads about the state of the Thai education system, so there we have it. Pure and simple.

It's a bit hard for the teachers to teach that corruption is bad and why corruption is bad, when generally they are just as everyone else.

Says it all doesn't it.

The problem is that people in Thailand know that the government is as corrupt as them, so why on earth should they bother to pay their taxes? It is a vicious circle, and whilst it is nice to talk about subsidizing fuels and rice and healthcare, any government would be swimming in cash if they could simply get out of the economy what is mandated by law.

I would take taxes on SMEs and halve them but lock up anyone running an SME who didn't pay his tax. Close up the ludicrous loopholes that Thaksin drove AIS through and the such, change the 51/49 ownership rules to allow more medium size FDI in the country, and slowly weedle away at the informal economy in the country. One way, although it isn't popular would be to reform the VAT system in the way that China has done. Everyone wants a VAT receipt because the government runs a lottery on the receipts. Very very smart. For a 100 rmb VAT receipt, and individual can win up to 50k USD approx.

When was the last serious review of the tax law in this country? 20 years/30 years ago?????? This is what I was hoping that Korn would get around to doing, so that closing tax loopholes regularly would become part and parcel of political life in Thailand.

Great idea re-VAT receipts. What a rigmarole it is to get a VAT receipt!

Same with tollway receipts. I'll bet there's enough money trousered in that scam to buy a jet airliner!

All the educated people on this thread have got the total wrong definition of Karma,

Karma is a Universal Law, Cause and effect, every action has its effect and consequently every good deed creates a good effect and every bad deed creates a bad effect, one can not be offset by the other.

You may have committed 1000 good deeds in which you will merit 1000 good effects, you may only have committed 1 bad deed, it has still caused the bad effect and that is coming your way, you can not escape it just because your good deeds far outweigh your 1 bad deed. Everything has to be paid for.

What goes around comes around. What you put out is what you get back, that is the Universal law and that is Karma

Maybe I'm misinformed as I'm not christian/catholic but isn't that just what going to church on Sunday and repenting for all your sins to the Priest is about?

Unfortunately, for expats living here, the future does not look good.

I've been hearing similar for the last 20 years, yet most Farangs I know who have left Thailand left because they were broke and had no choice.

Given the choice they would probably have stayed here, just like I do, and just like you do.

Same in business in the West, at the top of the ladder it goes on at the bottom it does not, simply because the stakes are not high enough, could be called greed, Now there is a good religious teaching, never be corrupt unless the stakes are high enough. Who was it that said "A rich man can never enter the Kingdom of Heaven" I forget (facetious)

At least one poster has some idea as to what goes on in the real world.

Never had a problem getting a VAT receipt for a company purchase. Just annoying to wait for them to write the details out.

I've always got receipts from expressways when I've asked for them. Hardly a rigmarole to just ask for one now is it.

All I can conclude is that no one in the country has realised that the costs to society of corruption ALWAYS outweigh the benefits. But then that would need someone to teach people this concept, and we have had a thousand threads about the state of the Thai education system, so there we have it. Pure and simple.

Says it all doesn't it.

The problem is that people in Thailand know that the government is as corrupt as them, so why on earth should they bother to pay their taxes? It is a vicious circle, and whilst it is nice to talk about subsidizing fuels and rice and healthcare, any government would be swimming in cash if they could simply get out of the economy what is mandated by law.

I would take taxes on SMEs and halve them but lock up anyone running an SME who didn't pay his tax. Close up the ludicrous loopholes that Thaksin drove AIS through and the such, change the 51/49 ownership rules to allow more medium size FDI in the country, and slowly weedle away at the informal economy in the country. One way, although it isn't popular would be to reform the VAT system in the way that China has done. Everyone wants a VAT receipt because the government runs a lottery on the receipts. Very very smart. For a 100 rmb VAT receipt, and individual can win up to 50k USD approx.

When was the last serious review of the tax law in this country? 20 years/30 years ago?????? This is what I was hoping that Korn would get around to doing, so that closing tax loopholes regularly would become part and parcel of political life in Thailand.

Great idea re-VAT receipts. What a rigmarole it is to get a VAT receipt!

Same with tollway receipts. I'll bet there's enough money trousered in that scam to buy a jet airliner!

What is this? Pedant's corner?

It is a PAIN IN THE ARSE having to ask for and wait for a VAT receipt. Good for all Thais if all VAT registered businesses have to issue VAT receipt automatically.

It is an AGGRAVATION to have to ask taxi drivers in Thai to get a receipt at the toll booths.

AND it pisses me off to have to ask for a receipt after paying a four figure sum for parking at Phuket airport.