Deposit When Move Out Before Contact Is Finished

Hello together,

i am searching an apartment. Mostly the owners demand a 12 Month contract and two month deposit.

Never know what happen in the next 12 month - (loosing work, get sick, or what ever), what happen with my two month deposit when i have to move out before the 12 month are over.

Is there any arrangement possible, or i loos all the money?

Thank you

Alex

Let's put this in the housing forum for better coverage.

Our rental agreement has a clause stating that the contract can be terminated early by mutual consent in the event of unemployment or illness. Just how enforceable this would be I have no idea although we are on very good terms with our landlady, we've been in the same apartment since 2004.

There are many, many threads about the non-return of deposits even after the full contracted term has elapsed, so I wouldn't be holding my breath either way :(

I moved out 3 times before the contract ended, and I always managed to get at least half of the deposit back, and once, the full deposit back. We always had excellent relationship with the landlords, and always had a very good reason to move out. The one time I got the full deposit back was when I introduced new possible tenants to the landlord, and that they reached an agreement.... Maybe I have been lucky

Good relationship with the landlord...told her we were moving back to Oz and asked if we could stop paying rent and should keep our deposit. Offer accepted without hesitation.

The laws here favour the tenant so there is really not much they can do (legally) if you stop paying

What laws exactly favour the tenant?

I would say that make sure you and the landlord both agree on what clauses should be put into teh contract, that way it is fair to both parties. Then if you want to leave early you know exactly what you will or will not receive back. Saves arguements and bad feeling all around.

Just my advice but still intrigued as to why the law favours tenants???

Cheers

Good relationship with the landlord...told her we were moving back to Oz and asked if we could stop paying rent and should keep our deposit. Offer accepted without hesitation.

The laws here favour the tenant so there is really not much they can do (legally) if you stop paying